The Running Thread—2023

It's been awhile, but boy did today's run suck! Not sure what was up, but just before mile 3 of 6.25 my body just wasn't having it. Thinking back to one of our recent QOTD on this topic, since my route was an out and back, I did what I had to to hit the turn around point and get back. Gave myself grace to not worry about the pace and just finish it. More walking than running, but on positive side, I got it done. Not sure what brought the struggle bus on here as I had a rest day yesterday. I've been fighting off an infection for a week or two and dealing with some more kidney fun, but those had not impacted any runs. I did seriously fail on the T&D mistakenly believing fall had arrived in Texas like it has in Georgia, only to realize T&D was still 148 at 5am this morning and I did not adjust for that or have water on me so I'm sure that was a factor as well.

Oh well. Telling myself (I guess part of the reason for this post) that one run DOES NOT equal the training cycle and that I get to try again tomorrow (although I will be better prepared with water :) ).

It's been awhile, but boy did today's run suck! Not sure what was up, but just before mile 3 of 6.25 my body just wasn't having it. Thinking back to one of our recent QOTD on this topic, since my route was an out and back, I did what I had to to hit the turn around point and get back. Gave myself grace to not worry about the pace and just finish it. More walking than running, but on positive side, I got it done. Not sure what brought the struggle bus on here as I had a rest day yesterday. I've been fighting off an infection for a week or two and dealing with some more kidney fun, but those had not impacted any runs. I did seriously fail on the T&D mistakenly believing fall had arrived in Texas like it has in Georgia, only to realize T&D was still 148 at 5am this morning and I did not adjust for that or have water on me so I'm sure that was a factor as well.

Oh well. Telling myself (I guess part of the reason for this post) that one run DOES NOT equal the training cycle and that I get to try again tomorrow (although I will be better prepared with water :) ).
You RAN today…in icky conditions…without water. Don’t stress about your pace, seriously. You still ran!!! Well done!

Anyone have suggestions for an 18mm watch band? The one that came with my garmin vivoactive 4s was irritating my wrist. I ordered a stretchy nylon one from Amazon but my wrist is too small to get it tight enough (plus it gets soaked in my sweat during my runs 🤢)

Garmin question - for those with a Garmin that run on a treadmill, do you bother to have the Garmin track your run? I tired it once, but the paces were ridiculously wrong - saying 6ish min/mile when I was doing 11. So now I just broadcast my heart rate and then manually input the run into garmin connect. The thing is, it seems like it doesn't take that into account when it's looking at my training load and all the other things the garmin tracks.
So I guess my question is, is there an accurate way to have Garmin track a treadmill run? Or have it track it and then update the distance/pace so it actually matches what I ran?

Garmin question - for those with a Garmin that run on a treadmill, do you bother to have the Garmin track your run? I tired it once, but the paces were ridiculously wrong - saying 6ish min/mile when I was doing 11. So now I just broadcast my heart rate and then manually input the run into garmin connect. The thing is, it seems like it doesn't take that into account when it's looking at my training load and all the other things the garmin tracks.
So I guess my question is, is there an accurate way to have Garmin track a treadmill run? Or have it track it and then update the distance/pace so it actually matches what I ran?
There should be a treadmill option, and then sync and save after you’re done. That way you can put in the treadmill miles. It won’t update the mile splits, but you’ll have an accurate average time per mile for the whole run.

Anyone have suggestions for an 18mm watch band? The one that came with my garmin vivoactive 4s was irritating my wrist. I ordered a stretchy nylon one from Amazon but my wrist is too small to get it tight enough (plus it gets soaked in my sweat during my runs 🤢)
Was it pretty much right away, or after awhile? My wrist got a little rashy a few times. I washed the band with dish soap, and made sure I was letting my wrist (and watch band) dry out and it went away in about a week.

I recently got a replacement band off Amazon because mine was cracking. It looks exactly the same, but has a more silicone-y feel. (Also team small-wrists, so I can commiserate on that.)

Have you tried the Treadmill Run activity? For most of the newer Garmin watches, that does a pretty good job of recording your pace and distance when running on a treadmill. If you want to be even more accurate, you can use a footpod.

Was it pretty much right away, or after awhile? My wrist got a little rashy a few times. I washed the band with dish soap, and made sure I was letting my wrist (and watch band) dry out and it went away in about a week.

I recently got a replacement band off Amazon because mine was cracking. It looks exactly the same, but has a more silicone-y feel. (Also team small-wrists, so I can commiserate on that.)
I got the watch over 2 years ago so it’s been awhile. Washing it never dawned on me 😅. I’m not the biggest fan of it anyway because I’d prefer something more breathable but maybe it’s my best option.

I use the treadmill run setting and calibrate the activity before saving. You can edit the mileage based on what you actually ran. I also hit the lap key after every mile for more accurate tracking.

I use the treadmill run setting and calibrate the activity before saving. You can edit the mileage based on what you actually ran. I also hit the lap key after every mile for more accurate tracking.
All of this. From someone who treadmills a lot. And eventually, if your runs are "always easy" or basically all the same, your watch will get pretty darn close to what the treadmill says before you calibrate it.

I got the watch over 2 years ago so it’s been awhile. Washing it never dawned on me 😅. I’m not the biggest fan of it anyway because I’d prefer something more breathable but maybe it’s my best option.
Yeah I hear you on the breathability. On the plus side, with the silicone band, it doesn't slip around, it doesn't hold your sweat, and it's super easy to change up the band color. I think the rash might be like yeast or something. But I just make sure to wash everything really well for a few days (watch, band, and wrist) and make sure it's all dry before I put it back on. I actually noticed a little spot a couple of days ago by where the HR sensor sits on my wrist. DS2 had a spot most of the summer (he worked as pie baker and in dish at the restaurant I work at) from his wrists being damp so often.

I haven’t found any device that tracks distance properly for me on a treadmill. I just set my phone app or Garmin to its usual outdoor setting so it’ll record and give me interval alerts, then manually adjust the distance when I’m done.

I've found wearing my HRM-PRO improves accuracy a lot, especially if I also wear it for similar runs outside. The newer watches are much better than the old at calibration for the indoor activities but the added dynamics with the band looks to make it more accurate.

That being said if I'm a fraction of a mile off I don't really care that much. I'm not doing specific workouts on the treadmill, just easy runs.

Have you tried the Treadmill Run activity? For most of the newer Garmin watches, that does a pretty good job of recording your pace and distance when running on a treadmill. If you want to be even more accurate, you can use a footpod.
I tried for 30 seconds and then stopped it when the pace was so wrong. I’ll try to leave it for my next run and manually adjust it at the end.

My runs on the tread are all easy, and generally the same pace, so I’ll see if the watch “learns”

I tried for 30 seconds and then stopped it when the pace was so wrong. I’ll try to leave it for my next run and manually adjust it at the end.

My runs on the tread are all easy, and generally the same pace, so I’ll see if the watch “learns”
I’ve had good experience with my garmin getting more accurate over time for easy runs. Hopefully the same is true for you! I still pretty much always calibrate & save but it’s usually pretty close. I will sometimes do speed sessions on the treadmill and those are always waaaay off but I know I was running the correct paces because the treadmill forced them on me so I don’t worry about it too much.

So I cheated on my shoes. Have been running in Hoka Cliftons for long runs for years but I needed a new pair and decided to try something new - Brooks Ghost Max. Only one run in, but I like how they feel. Just strange to be in a new type of shoe. If things go to plan, these will likely be by shoe for the marathon in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter