The Running Thread—2023

I noticed the link to Disneyland Paris has been removed from the RunDisney website. I know the link didn't really go anywhere helpful in the first place but it's making me think the race (and thus Castle to Chateau) isn't coming back.

I'm a hard no on recommending the Alphafly. They have a Zoom Air pod on the bottom of the shoe, and mine popped after 100-150 miles (maybe?) which rendered the shoe pretty much useless. Maybe I got a bad design, or maybe I was too tough on them, but I'm not willing to shell out the money to give them another chance.

With that being said, I'm a big fan of the Vaporfly Next%. I've run thousands of miles in Next% 1 and 2, and have a pair of 3 with not a ton of use yet. So I can't give you a fair assessment of the 3s yet, but they didn't wow me out the box. I prefer the 2 over the 1. But in both cases, I was able to get 100 solid racing miles, 400 additional solid hard training run miles, and 500 additional moderate/long training run miles (total of 1000 miles per shoe) out of them. This is far and away more miles then I normally get from my Saucony Ride (350 miles) and Kinvara (150 miles) just for comparison. My data is debatable as to whether the shoes have made a measurable difference in performance, but it definitely feels like a fun shoe to race in. It feels like it's helping you/encouraging you down the road.
Well, I got a pair of the Vaporfly Next% 2. Tried them on and right away I knew they weren't for me. My foot felt really unstable in the shoe. I am heel striker and I could tell there would be issues with that. I started reading online reviews about the shoe and most said if you are a heel striker or have achilles issues, these shoes are probably not for you. So being a heel striker (check) and having torn my right achilles 9 years ago (check) definitely not for me. So back to the drawing board in looking for shoes.

The Asics Gel Nimbus 25 have caught my eye.

August recap: IDK how many miles because I no longer care. :rotfl:

But after trying, discarding, and ultimately ditching entirely a bunch of different prescriptions, PT, and higher-drop running shoes that did nothing at all for either debilitating hot flashes or chronic pain, I’ve been running mostly pain free by just going back to my old routine of Aleve when the pain is too much (which amounts to a couple times a week, tops, so it’s not like I’m overdoing it here), and using Yoga and Pilates as strength work. I did also finally buy an indoor cycle and have been using it in place of a short run every other week - that’s been fun and seems to help!

I’m currently trying the Hoka Mach 5 and it alters my gait some from my usual Altra Torin 5s and Topo Magnifly, but seems to make my cranky meniscus happy. The only hitch is that I went to a wide width to get more space in the toe box… but after only a few runs the ankle collar is so loose, I can’t tighten it up enough to eliminate heel slip. Tempted to try it in regular width, but Altra had a sale this weekend, so I’ve got a pair of Torin 7s coming to try first.

I am DELIGHTED to report that we’ve finally got a break from the worst of summer heat: we’re back to highs of 90-91 and lows in the high 70s. The water from my tap is actually cool again! Made for a MUCH better feeling run yesterday, and I almost felt like the half-marathons I’ve got lined up are actually do-able again. SO ready for fall!!!

DW and I love Dollywood. I'd rather make the drive to Pigeon Forge to go to Dollywood than to go to Six Flags. And all the employees love her and refer to her as "Miss Dolly". She's really made her stamp on the place (the whole town) and it makes for a more pleasant experience. And this post is probably too late, but if you are there, go visit the bald eagle rescue habitat. Magnificent birds.
The first time we went, we also stayed at the Dreammore hotel and it was the one weekend a year that she visits, just by coincidence. Later that day in the park, she went right by us in a horseless carriage, modified to run on an electric motor. It was really a nifty experience. We went to the "My People" show, and I thought "her people" meant other mountain people from the area. Nope, it was her siblings, cousins, and other relatives. Way cool.
Thanks for the tips & reply post Mr. Incredible. We stayed at DreamMore.... so lovely, like a Disney Deluxe resort.
We got a view of the eagles. There are so many of them! But they stay kind of far away from the path. We also listened to the family singers. We went to 4 other singing performances too. Great entertainment.
I would highly recommend Dollywood to anyone that loves Disney, but also wants to expand their knowledge and appreciation for other theme parks and coasters.
And since this is the running thread....I was able to run on the treadmill in the fitness center 3 times and I did yoga out near the pool this morning. Even if you don't workout while there, the park is uphill all ways around! No matter which way you're going, those hills will get ya.

Thanks for the tips & reply post Mr. Incredible. We stayed at DreamMore.... so lovely, like a Disney Deluxe resort.
We got a view of the eagles. There are so many of them! But they stay kind of far away from the path. We also listened to the family singers. We went to 4 other singing performances too. Great entertainment.
I would highly recommend Dollywood to anyone that loves Disney, but also wants to expand their knowledge and appreciation for other theme parks and coasters.
And since this is the running thread....I was able to run on the treadmill in the fitness center 3 times and I did yoga out near the pool this morning. Even if you don't workout while there, the park is uphill all ways around! No matter which way you're going, those hills will get ya.
Dollywood is a great park. We first went about 6 years ago when my son had a baseball tournament in Pigeon Forge. Then my son went on a recruiting trip to UT and of course we had to make stop. Its a fun and clean park with some great coasters. My son is now at UT and him and his girlfriend drove over to Pigeon Forge this weekend to visit Dollywood and to also hit up the alpine coasters in the area.

Dollywood is a great park. We first went about 6 years ago when my son had a baseball tournament in Pigeon Forge. Then my son went on a recruiting trip to UT and of course we had to make stop. Its a fun and clean park with some great coasters. My son is now at UT and him and his girlfriend drove over to Pigeon Forge this weekend to visit Dollywood and to also hit up the alpine coasters in the area.
We and the kids love the Alpine coasters there. And on our first trip up to the area, the wife and I went to the Alpine coaster in Gatlinburg and paid for the one hour pass. Since we were there when they first opened, short line and we were able to ride the thing about 10 times, and each trip down became a contest of mugging for the camera as we went by, and then running in to see how the pictures came out before doing it again. So much fun.

I finished up August going into the taper for my race next weekend. The month wasn't quite as consistent as I'd like, with a couple of missed runs due to weather and work and cutting short a 14 miler because I went out too fast with the heat ramping up and made myself sick. All told, it was an ok month and I'm hoping for last weekend's cool snap to replicate itself for next weekend's race. If it stays hot and humid, there's no way of avoiding it during a 10-12 hour race. We'll see what happens. In the meantime here are last month's numbers:

August Training Summary
Running Miles: 160.26 mi
Running Time: 31:08:09
Average Pace: 11:46/mi
Average HR: 145/min
YTD Mileage: 1,000.40 mi

Other
Walking: 43.62 mi
Rolling yearly running: 1,507.10 mi

Last edited:
Anybody tried the Pumpkin Spice Gu?
Anyone has seen it in Canada?
Would like to try it but I am not planning to go to the USA until the NYC Marathon.

If anyone wants a good laugh about running, check out the movie on Comedy Central called Office Run. I think today was the first day. If you are a runner, you get it, and it makes it that much funnier. I didn't intend to watch it, but caught the first 15 minutes and then had to finish it out. Well worth the watch. Jeff Galloway is in it also towards the end of the movie.

What was also funny, is that they debuted it right after the The Office episode of Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For the Cure.

Last edited:
Any simple solutions for not getting dry-mouth during runs? Except for, of course, getting a drink. I don't want to carry or stash water on runs less than 5mi, but I've been having horrible dry mouth after about mile 3 lately, and I would like to NOT deal with any longer.

Last edited:
Any simple solutions for not getting dry-mouth during runs? Except for, of course, getting a drink. I don't want to carry or stash water on runs less than 5mi, but I've been having horrible dry mouth after about mile 3 lately, and I would like to NOT deal with any longer.
I chew gum while I run, and my mouth doesn’t get dry, even though I’m a mouth-breathing runner

There are lace lock techniques that can help with this. As an example, here's an article from Asics

https://www.asics.com/nz/en-nz/mk/choosing-the-right-running-shoe/lacing
Yeah, nothing helps with this case: the eyelets are as tight as they can get without overlapping each other. And if I go too tight, it irritates my tendons. I have freakishly tiny ankles. I’m going to try stuffing some lambs wool between my heels and the shoe to see if that helps take up some of the extra volume.

Shall we take a minute an appreciate the absolute dominance of Courtney Dauwalter this summer? Winning Western States 100, Hardrock 100, and UTMB? All in a 71 day span? Daaaaaaaang girl!
Seriously! And she makes it look so easy. I have to remind myself regularly that people like Courtney are the exceptions - exceedingly few humans are going to be able to do anything like she does!

Hard candy--I usually suck on the Asian plum ones, but imagine most would work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter