The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That....sounds horrifying.

I hope things are back to normal-ish by spring 2021 or I will postpone, again.
Several months ago my family was talking about our next trip to Disney which we were hoping to take in June 2021....it is not officially on the books. Anyway DH was telling DS(who is 6) that it was most likely going to happen unless something extreme happened to make us not be able to go. Well something extreme has happened that may make us not be able to go then and have to postpone......Never imagined back then that this scenario was going to happen. 😔

I would have agreed with you, but with all construction now on hold, they will be far behind, and they have a whole lot to do yet in Epcot. I also think that attendance will be really low for a while, due to lack of funds for folks to go to WDW. Could have the "perfect storm" to allow them to do this.
Okay bringing this discussion back up, I am seeing more and more from some very trusted insiders that once WDW opens it will be limited and that MK and DHS are the leads....but there is more than one I have seen stating EPCOT might not open at all this year. It will definitely be later than the other three.

Okay bringing this discussion back up, I am seeing more and more from some very trusted insiders that once WDW opens it will be limited and that MK and DHS are the leads....but there is more than one I have seen stating EPCOT might not open at all this year. It will definitely be later than the other three.
Assuming WDW reopens before we have an effective treatment or a vaccine, if attendance is low enough to not require 4 parks, I don't know why they'd open Epcot. Its expensive to operate, is currently a seriously sub-optimal guest experience, and they sent home all the international Cast Members and it's not like a lot of them can just hop on a plane right now.

The insiders are talking about the contingency plans. Everyone is still hoping first and foremost that one of these antivirals is proven to work and that we finally manage to get to sufficient testing capacity, in which case, far fewer contingency plans are needed.

This makes sense on several levels. MK is THE park. DHS has the whole Star Wars/TSL newness going for it. Also, it is the second smallest footprint. AK, as awesome as it is, is mostly shows, etc. I mean, would they really open with Safari, EE, Pandora, and Dino? Would they add Kali and Whirl? That's only 6 rides. At least over at DHS, you have 8.

After thinking about this all long and hard, I'm really hoping WDW cancels my trip in July since it's with DVC points, as I don't feel like losing them. It'll be hard to explain to the kids, but I don't think we'd enjoy DisneyCoronaWorld.

Assuming WDW reopens before we have an effective treatment or a vaccine, if attendance is low enough to not require 4 parks, I don't know why they'd open Epcot. Its expensive to operate, is currently a seriously sub-optimal guest experience, and they sent home all the international Cast Members and it's not like a lot of them can just hop on a plane right now.
One thing about this: it would have 9 active rides (10 if they got the Rat going and didn't close SE) compare to 6 or 7 at AK. I mean certainly the lack of international cast members would suck, but ride-wise, it would be better than AK, and for that matter, DHS (of which I count only 8).

One thing about this: it would have 9 active rides (10 if they got the Rat going and didn't close SE) compare to 6 or 7 at AK. I mean certainly the lack of international cast members would suck, but ride-wise, it would be better than AK, and for that matter, DHS (of which I count only 8).
Sure, but AK requires hundreds of CMs each day, open or closed. Might as well open it. Epcot has a little bit of that problem with The Seas and The Land but nowhere near the same extent.

It will be interesting to see what choices they make in the end (if they open before this is over).

ride wise, I agree with you - but I think construction is a big factor now. If you are going to keep any of them closed, why not the one that a) 1/2 the park is more-or-less dependant on international CMs who aren'taround and b) the 1/2 that isn't has a huge construction zone right int he middle of it. Keep it closed and get that construciton done and then when ready to open it you have a virtually completed park (I assume by then Rat can be open, though likely not Guardians yet - unless this thing really drags on)

I think it makes sense but also adds complication around tickets and are APs that are supposed to grant access to 4 parks but now with only 2 or 3 going to have the clock started on them, or will this be like a "soft open" period where this won't count on their time? I assume they would no longer have the 4-park ticket option then. Do you get rid of park hopping for a while?

So many logistic questions.

This may have been discussed earlier but I wonder how much Food and Wine means to the WDW bottom line every year? And how much if any that would play into a decision about reopening Epcot this fall.

Ah that was a grim read, we have a trip booked from the UK in December. Sounds like we're going to have a massively limited offering then.

This may have been discussed earlier but I wonder how much Food and Wine means to the WDW bottom line every year? And how much if any that would play into a decision about reopening Epcot this fall.

I would think in normal years it means quite a lot - Disney makes a lot off the EPCOT festivals. BUT I would think it also adds more complications - more CMs needed to run it and more food that needs to be protected, and more queues to manage, etc ... just feels like having all those booths would potentially be a logistics nightmare depending on what restrictions are in place.

But it is a good point

I would think in normal years it means quite a lot - Disney makes a lot off the EPCOT festivals. BUT I would think it also adds more complications - more CMs needed to run it and more food that needs to be protected, and more queues to manage, etc ... just feels like having all those booths would potentially be a logistics nightmare depending on what restrictions are in place.

But it is a good point
Totally agree on it being a logistics nightmare. Potentially a lot of people and food in tight spaces

Totally agree on it being a logistics nightmare. Potentially a lot of people and food in tight spaces
Actually Food and Wine with reduced attendance may be the best in social distancing that WDW can offer - largest open space, outside, not sitting in a restaurant or theater, etc. That said, everything about reopening the parks is a logistics nightmare. Silver lining...no one will have to be the gunner on MFSM with social d in place.

I don't see how they can generate enough revenue to make the Phase 1 worth it. It requires too many cast members and doesn't sound like it would permit enough guests.

I don't see how they can generate enough revenue to make the Phase 1 worth it. It requires too many cast members and doesn't sound like it would permit enough guests.
It’s not a matter of making a profit, it’s just a matter of losing less money than they’re losing with the parks closed. At a place like animal kingdom, I don’t think that’s probably very hard.

It’s not a matter of making a profit, it’s just a matter of losing less money than losing with the parks closed. At a place like animal kingdom, I don’t think that’s probably very hard.

That and slowly getting getting the parks back open. It’s baby steps at this point to find the best risk vs customer experience ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter