The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. Could they announce some of the more major 50th changes (new rides etc.) this year? 2019 is cutting it a bit fine for announcing major changes isn't it?
I don't know how many major changes we will see for the 50th. A lot is on the table to be completed in time for the 50th but I am not sure how much they'll actually sell as part of the 50th.

Couple of verifications I want to share...

Martin at WDWMagic - stated Mickey ride is still green lit for GMR - and plan was to have it open before SWL, so look for closure in the not too distant future.
Also from Martin - France will get WDSP version of Rat ride, with it being added as extra, keeping theater and rest as is.

MagicFeather at WDWMagic added some news as well:
Epcot could get a name change - something minor like it did when it went from EPCOT Center to EPCOT.
New night time show for EPCOT is also in the works, potentially with drones, but it means the end of Illuminations.
DHS - there is rumor of one additional ride for DHS outside of TSL, SWL and GMR replacement. One option that was blue skyed was a water ride. No confirmation what will be chosen or even if it will still happen.

Couple of verifications I want to share...

Martin at WDWMagic - stated Mickey ride is still green lit for GMR - and plan was to have it open before SWL, so look for closure in the not too distant future.
Also from Martin - France will get WDSP version of Rat ride, with it being added as extra, keeping theater and rest as is.

MagicFeather at WDWMagic added some news as well:
Epcot could get a name change - something minor like it did when it went from EPCOT Center to EPCOT.
New night time show for EPCOT is also in the works, potentially with drones, but it means the end of Illuminations.
DHS - there is rumor of one additional ride for DHS outside of TSL, SWL and GMR replacement. One option that was blue skyed was a water ride. No confirmation what will be chosen or even if it will still happen.

Keep posting rumors and info about stuff like this. I'm very interested.

Here are the Epcot rumors

• Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2,
  • Communicore including MouseGear will be updated/overhauled, green lit.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will get a update
  • Seas will change a bit
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Space Ship Earth will have changes
  • Brazil Pavillon, but not green lit.
  • Ratatouille Ride in France, not green lit.
  • Coco For Mexico, Not green lit
  • Replacement for Illuminations. 2017-2019

• Land will get a update
  • Seas will change a bit

What's wonders? Ive been to EPCOT like 1000x but just can't picture wonders.

• Land will get a update
  • Seas will change a bit
one more add:

Most folks on the forums are aware of the rumor that there are going to also be some serious aesthetic changes to the entry, through FW and all the way up to the beginnings of WS. I was wondering if these changes were green lit also.
I believe this (the central spine) is green. - again confirmed by Martin at WDWMagic

• Land will get a update
  • Seas will change a bit

I am very excited for all of this. What or who is Coco?

• Land will get a update
  • Seas will change a bit
Glad Epcot is going to get some much needed attention.

I'd really like them to use Big Hero 6 and do a quality robotics focused section at Epcot in Future World. Maybe use one of the Innoventions buildings for robotics competitions.

Does anyone think that Moana has enough popularity to eventually get an attraction at WDW?

Does anyone think that Moana has enough popularity to eventually get an attraction at WDW?

I'm not sure popularity is the end all and be all. It's more theme requirements. A good example is Splash Mountain. Assuming planning started in the early/mid 80s for a late 80s open at DL, Song of the South hasn't been re-released by Disney since it's 40th anniversary in 1986 and, I'm willing to bet, will never, ever, be officially released again. So they themed and opened a ride, with an expected lifespan of decades, based on a movie that they probably suspected when planning will never again see the light of day. But it perfectly fit the FrontierLand theme, is beautifully told, is one of the best rides in the whole system as far as I'm concerned, and is insanely popular, regardless of the dwindling numbers of park goers who have ever seen the movie.

Frankly I'm amazed The Lion King does not have a ride. I love the show at AK as I think it's one of the best shows on property. It is one of the highest grossing animated movies of all time, an accessible classic, with follow along movies, merchandise, even a Disney Junior legacy series, and yet has a very limited park presence. Less is more perhaps or simply a lack of place to put it? With the show at AK, a ride might be double dipping and LK wouldn't really fit in MK except in AdventureLand.

I think Moana has some elements that fit the MK lands, but they aren't exactly needed. Would you put Moana in Adventureland? The Treehouse probably wouldn't be overly missed if it was swapped for something else, but that is an awkward footprint. I don't see her fitting in on the Fantasyland side, those are more classic fairy tale stories and I'd expect Tangled to be a better fit. The addition of SDMT indicates something about Disney wanting FantasyLand to at least focus on the classics, though you could make an argument Little Mermaid is a more modern tale than the rest.

WIR, Wall-E, and Big Hero Six fall within a few spots of Moana in gross these days as far as animated movies (WIR might be a stretch for that sentence). All of them have a better shot at becoming a ride or attraction in my opinion simply because they can fit into the theme areas that need the most updating, FutureWorld and TomorrowLand.

Moana at the Polynesian? Perhaps. Though the Poly already has a dinner show and I'm thinking she doesn't carry enough weight to be a significant character experience. Perhaps a Moana themed upcharge giant canoe fireworks cruise on the Seven Seas Lagoon?

Finally, DHS. I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a Great Movie Ride equivalent to a stroll through all of Disney's animated hits, with a focus on those under or not represented at the rest of WDW. I could see that concept not only working well, but easy to update and switch out as more movies are released. And it would push Disney's IP, clearly a strong push these days. Maybe that's what the suspected Mickey redo would focus on? I could see Moana level movies being a part of something like that, where it doesn't have to carry it's own attraction. But with all the announced work on DHS, I wouldn't hold my breath of anything else coming through there, unless Disney tires of paying whatever they pay Aerosmith and whoever owns the rights to TOT. And those don't seem the right options for this kind of experience.

Wow. That got longer than I thought. Maybe I should have stuck with a Magic 8 Ball response, "It is very unlikely."

I'm not sure popularity is the end all and be all. It's more theme requirements. A good example is Splash Mountain. Assuming planning started in the early/mid 80s for a late 80s open at DL, Song of the South hasn't been re-released by Disney since it's 40th anniversary in 1986 and, I'm willing to bet, will never, ever, be officially released again. So they themed and opened a ride, with an expected lifespan of decades, based on a movie that they probably suspected when planning will never again see the light of day. But it perfectly fit the FrontierLand theme, is beautifully told, is one of the best rides in the whole system as far as I'm concerned, and is insanely popular, regardless of the dwindling numbers of park goers who have ever seen the movie.
While I agree popularity isn't the best indicator Song of the south isn't probably the best example and the time that was built there was different management.

Look at something like the little mermaid for example. It was years before that finally got a ride.

While I agree popularity isn't the best indicator Song of the south isn't probably the best example and the time that was built there was different management.

Look at something like the little mermaid for example. It was years before that finally got a ride.

Fair enough. Though Song of the South always sticks out to me just because it seemed so short-sighted to rely on that movie at that time, and yet it is so bloody well done I can't imagine anything better. The Little Mermaid ride is actually one of my least favorite of the "new" rides. Probably because it is a simple re-telling of the story and the ride is only a way to view the re-telling and doesn't contribute to the experience in any way.

Fair enough. Though Song of the South always sticks out to me just because it seemed so short-sighted to rely on that movie at that time, and yet it is so bloody well done I can't imagine anything better. The Little Mermaid ride is actually one of my least favorite of the "new" rides. Probably because it is a simple re-telling of the story and the ride is only a way to view the re-telling and doesn't contribute to the experience in any way.
Yes, but the same could be said for Peter Pan which is just a retelling but a beloved attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter