The Rose & Crown

dvcHammer

Drinking at Disney
The Rose & Crown is not a place to be rushed through. It is our favorite for adult dining when time is not an issue.

This time we arrived without an ADR and the wait was going to be over an hour for seating. This is not a problem for us at The Rose & Crown as it gives us time to sit in the pub and relax with their great selection of UK brews and chat with the knowledgeable bartenders on the fine points of single malt scotch. We always get the single malt sampler tray to share.

The piano lady was there and we always enjoy her show. The hour passed by almost too quickly.

Great pub food at expected Disney prices. Friendly servers, especially if you are friendly yourself. Their is not a lot of food here that we would call exceptional, but it is what it is - English pub food. Bangers and Mash, Fish and Chips, all that good stuff.

Recommended for adults in a good mood and the time to relax and enjoy it.

Not recommended for guests with children in tow, people in a hurry, or folks looking for a gourmet food experience.

We made an ADR for the Rose & Crown for lunch on St. Patrick's Day this week, completely by accident I might add. I made the ressie in January, so I didn't realize what day it was until much later.

So, it being St. Pat's Day, the pub portion was VERY crowded, as was the beer stand outside the main doors. We were seated within 10 minutes of checking in and placed at a comfy table for our party of 5, 2 parents and 3 kids.

Our server, Kayla, was very knowledgeable about the menu and my DH and I ordered their St. Pat's special, prime rib w/sauerkraut & roasted potatoes. It was surprisingly very flavorful. My oldest DD ordered the cottage pie, the second DD ordered the kids' bangers & mash and our DS went with the kids' pizza (he's not an adventurous eater). We were pleased at the broader kids' menu since our middle DD was getting tired of mac&cheese or chicken nuggets everywhere else.

I was very happy with my green Hoegaarden beer and my DH was enjoying his Guinness. We were also able to take a second round "to go" when we left the restaurant. The manager came over to make sure we had a good meal and to explain that they had just changed their beer menu and to explain about new menu items coming up.

All in all, we had a great experience at the Rose & Crown as a family. I think it was even more enjoyable on the busy and bustliing St. Pat's Day. :thumbsup2

We agree with you -- we love Rose & Crown and have always had wonderful meals. The only thing I disagree with you on is bringing kids. This was one of only two restaurants at Epcot that we took our kids to when they were young (the other being Biergarten) and they always enjoyed their meals and we were in and out within an hour or so and they never complained; the servers were always very good with them.

Ohhh I'm HOPING I can nab an ADR for for Rose & Crown. It's my HOPE that we can get 6:30 ressies, and request the patio so we can watch ILLUMINATIONS. We missed it last trip, I was soooo dissapointed. Wanting to eat here, last night of our trip! :love:

We've eaten pretty much everywhere, but there a few small places we haven't tried, and this was one of them. We ate there last week, and it was yucky. Hubby's burger was absolutely raw - he bit into it, and it was nasty! Ants were crawling across the table, and so my DD6 didn't want to eat. My sandwich was supposed to come without mayo & cheese, yet it did. We had to track down our server, and she kind of just shrugged and my hubby's burger was brought back later on almost burnt. He had to eat it as we were hungry.

The place is dingy and noisy (I guess this is how pubs are?), and we won't eat here again. It wasn't that busy (middle of afternoon) and service was not good, so we just paid the bill and left.

We won't be eating here again - glad others have had good experiences, but we did not. And, I just read the new DIS newsletter for this month, and Pete and company had a bad experience there as well.

Tiger

Hi,

I worked at the R&C last year. I had the best time of my life making magic for people and talking to guests about the UK (FYI never forget that it is the UK pavillion and instead call it the England pavillion....this made my Scottish friend crazy!).

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience there, it makes me sad to think that you left feeling that way - I hated the idea of a guest thinking I was rude or that it reflected on UK people being rude so I always tried my best to help people to enjoy themselves at our restaurant.

I think that the restaurants in Epcot can definitely be hit and miss and it probably has something to do with the fact that the cast members in this park are internationals on a year long programme. So unfortunately you get a mix of attitudes. For example I myself have been going to Disney on holiday every year so needless to say I am a big Disney geek and felt right at home there. But some people who worked there had never been and were probably there more for the sunshine than Disney itself.

Now I am not saying this is right but it is probably true.

I think the R&C is a great place to go if you are happy to chat and get to know your server. As a nation we are pretty talkative (and know a lot about drinking beer!) and I know that we all enjoyed having guests who wanted to know more about where we were from.

I remember having a large party once and to keep the kids entertained I quizzed them on the royal family and made the girls tiaras out of Mickey stickers and the boys swords to knight each other with!

As for the menu, it is all pretty simple pub food, but yummy nontheless. It does attempt to be traditional but a lot of us would try to tell the chefs how our mum's made the dishes! I think a lot of it definitely has an American twist so it is not exactly like what you would find a countryside pub in the UK. (That's just another reason to come and visit us over here!!)

Oh and one more tip....fireworks viewing!! Dining reservations have a 2 hour dining window, so if your reservation is for 6.30pm, you would typically be expected to leave by 8.30pm in order to ensure the restaurant turns around and all reservations are let in. So if you would like to see the fireworks try to get a reservation after 7.30pm as the show usually starts at 9pm. However, you are not guaranteed an outside table or perfect view, as you can imagine everyone asks for it and there are only so many tables. There is an outside viewing area reserved just for the restaurant which any guests dining inside can be taken out to by their server so you WILL get to see the fireworks wherever your table is.

The best tips I can give in order to make the most of the R&C are...

1) be nice to the podium staff if you want a view, if you are more willing to be flexible and perhaps wait around in the pub for a table, they are more likely to be able to get you in if one becomes available

2) use the opportunity to find out about the UK and the area your server is from, we can usually give pretty good tips & hints about the area - for example I used to let my guests know that near to the largest stone circle in the UK, not in size of stones like Stonehenge but in the area they cover, plus there's a good local pub to stop it nearby!

3) be adventurous, try the samplers such as the Imperial Sampler (5 x 6oz pours of beer ranging from light to dark), try mixing your beer like we suggest, I promise it tastes good, and if you HAVE to try 3 items they must be the leek & potato soup, mushy peas & meat/cheese plate (if you are a bit squeamish about meats, ask them to double up on the cheese and leave off the meat)

I hope this helps, if you would like any more info/tips I'm happy to help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter