• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Poly2 Pricing Thread

Will Poly2 Be a Part of the Original Polynesian Condo Association?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fantastic for you. I wouldn't have even considered DVC without APs, and I'm not the only one. Of course lots of DVC members need APs.

These boards used to be full of decades of math using a few hundred buck discounts on APs to justify Blue Cards, RIP.
It’d be interesting to know what % of owners have > X points (let’s just say 270 since that was the original minimum), which could justify multiple trips and APs.

Fantastic for you. I wouldn't have even considered DVC without APs, and I'm not the only one. Of course lots of DVC members need APs.

These boards used to be full of decades of math using a few hundred buck discounts on APs to justify Blue Cards, RIP.

My point was in response that DVC makes no sense if you can't get an AP. For some DVC, that is true, but there are plenty of DVC owners out there who simply don't need one. And yes, we a lot of people on these boards want them, but there are also plenty of posters here who don't get them as well.

And, it still holds true that if they begin to sell a less expensive DVC AP, for those who benefit from having one, it can make going direct the better option.

It's also a weird look to put this much into DVC when APs are still suspended. This gives me hope they will come back, at least now and then, or maybe as a Blue Card perk.

DVC in general makes no sense to me without APs.
IMO, DVC resale still makes sense without AP's. We are new into DVC and do not have APs. But we did buy resale and saved a boatload of cash. And we are also totally fine not going to parks. Doing 4 trips next year and only doing parks on 2 of them. Obviously if we had APs that would be different.

If APs come back as an offering to DVC-Y members, then we will likely consider buying in direct - assuming Poly 2 is separate and appealing. If not, we would not consider direct until the DVC options are diluted and we are forced to in order to stay at the restricted resorts. But, even then, we'd likely consider just buying resale at the resorts we want to stay. I don't know how DVC can sustain itself over time for direct without the perks (which I know are not guaranteed....). At this point, the last-minute announced parties and the minimal food/merch discounts just don't have enough substance to make direct appealing. I'm totally fine not staying at RIV.

We're in that camp of needing APs. We added 300+ points (mix of direct/resale) to our initial purchase over the past year assuming APs would continue to be on sale (initially bought our APs right before they stopped sales). We renewed our APs for 2023 which is fine because we have trips lined up. Don't anticipate going much in 2024 (planning a big trip to Aulani) so don't want to have to renew just because we may lose them forever. If APs don't come back we'll probably sell off some points after the Aulani trip.

IMO, DVC resale still makes sense without AP's. We are new into DVC and do not have APs. But we did buy resale and saved a boatload of cash. And we are also totally fine not going to parks. Doing 4 trips next year and only doing parks on 2 of them. Obviously if we had APs that would be different.
Well, sure, the comparison for DVC is always Disney hotels. That's the theoretical value of our points. But I would have a lot less use for Disney hotels without an AP, as would many.

My point was in response that DVC makes no sense if you can't get an AP. For some DVC, that is true, but there are plenty of DVC owners out there who simply don't need one. And yes, we a lot of people on these boards want them, but there are also plenty of posters here who don't get them as well.

And, it still holds true that if they begin to sell a less expensive DVC AP, for those who benefit from having one, it can make going direct the better option.

Makes perfect sense for me. I've gone to WDW 1-2 times per year for 20+ years and never had an AP. DVC makes perfect sense for plenty of people who visit for 1 week per year or whatever. I'm sure it's a deal breaker for some, but the notion that DVC as a product doesn't make sense without APs is silly, IMO.

All that said, I have no doubt they will be back in some form next year

I'm sure it's a deal breaker for some, but the notion that DVC as a product doesn't make sense without APs is silly, IMO.
It's not like everyone has an AP, but plenty do. So, yea, DVC doesn't make sense without an AP for me. And I'm not the only one like me.

It's not like everyone has an AP, but plenty do. So, yea, DVC doesn't make sense without an AP for me. And I'm not the only one like me.
For you it absolutely doesn't. But it's a long way from that to inferring APs must be coming back because DVC depends on them to be a viable product in general. It doesn't, regardless of the math people like to post.

I’m with you. Discounted APs was one of the reasons I justified buying direct. Considering how DVC management seems to have amped up their efforts to come up with blue card perks, you’d think they’d make an effort to reinstitute APs, especially since they’re a pretty good selling tool. I guess one issue is that they can’t do it without coordinating with other divisions.

On a completely off topic note, I’m at Aulani right now, and the place is hopping! Inconceivable that they’re not making money off this place.

We have 350 points, but we usually only go once per year, so getting an AP every year may or may not pencil out. Our original plan (when justifying buying some points direct) was to get APs every other year and bridge those trips 51 weeks apart.

I suspect that these boards overweight towards frequent fliers, and the median DVC owner has enough points to go ~ 1 week per year.

We usually go three times a year. AP's are awesome. A discounted AP would be even awesomer, but I am not holding my breath.

I think the requirement for an AP among members somewhat depends on the number of points an owner has. Some people bought enough points for one week with that as their travel plan. Others purchase many more points with the idea of going several times per year. It doesn’t feel good on the old pocketbook to have to buy multi day tickets multiple times per year so for those with enough points for multiple trips it might become a matter of staying in more point heavy accommodations to use up their points to avoid spending huge amounts of money on multiple trips for park tickets. I would not be happy if I bought a large number of points with the intention of going several
Times per year but ended up having to waste points on a grand villa that I didn’t really want just to use up all my points on a week long stay. I know we will hold off on adding more points until we know whether the AP will be back, which I’m sure it will be.

I think the requirement for an AP among members somewhat depends on the number of points an owner has. Some people bought enough points for one week with that as their travel plan. Others purchase many more points with the idea of going several times per year. It doesn’t feel good on the old pocketbook to have to buy multi day tickets multiple times per year so for those with enough points for multiple trips it might become a matter of staying in more point heavy accommodations to use up their points to avoid spending huge amounts of money on multiple trips for park tickets. I would not be happy if I bought a large number of points with the intention of going several
Times per year but ended up having to waste points on a grand villa that I didn’t really want just to use up all my points on a week long stay. I know we will hold off on adding more points until we know whether the AP will be back, which I’m sure it will be.
Not sure that would be a great strategy. We go two weeks twice a year, and are lucky to have bought APs during the narrow window in which they were available. If we didn’t have the passes, we’d still go for the same duration, but visit the parks less frequently and enjoy the hotels more. We’d also probably buy APs at Universal and hang out there a bit more as well.

I, for one, have never had an AP in the 15 years of DVC ownership. Why? We are not commando parks people. We go into a park once, maybe twice per trip. Purchasing an AP would make me feel like I have to go into a park to justify the cost.

What we benefit more from are non-expiration tickets ( and we still have 9 days left!). Really wish they would bring back that option.

We don’t need AP’s to justify our DVC purchase. Plenty to do in and around WDW without them.

Not sure that would be a great strategy. We go two weeks twice a year, and are lucky to have bought APs during the narrow window in which they were available. If we didn’t have the passes, we’d still go for the same duration, but visit the parks less frequently and enjoy the hotels more. We’d also probably buy APs at Universal and hang out there a bit more as well.
And if that works for you that’s great! I just know that for certain people like myself, if I’m not going to the parks I’d rather be vacationing somewhere besides Orlando and Disney. I bought dvc for Disney. I’d rather go to an island or Europe rather than spending the money on a flight to Orlando. Just my personal preference!

And if that works for you that’s great! I just know that for certain people like myself, if I’m not going to the parks I’d rather be vacationing somewhere besides Orlando and Disney. I bought dvc for Disney. I’d rather go to an island or Europe rather than spending the money on a flight to Orlando. Just my personal preference!
Got it. We love the fun, escapist quality of the hotels. Mostly we like to walk around the parks, ride a few rides, then go back to the hotel or Disney Springs. If I actually had to pay for individual tickets, I’d feel obligated to stay at the parks all day, which is just too much work!

Got it. We love the fun, escapist quality of the hotels. Mostly we like to walk around the parks, ride a few rides, then go back to the hotel or Disney Springs. If I actually had to pay for individual tickets, I’d feel obligated to stay at the parks all day, which is just too much work!
I completely agree which is why we like the AP if we go more than once per year!

It’s really anyone who does more than 8-9 days in the parks per year - probably 20-30% of dvc at best.

We were APs before purchasing DVC b/c at the time, the difference between park tickets and APs were much smaller and almost a no brainer.

Once we had the APs, we started to go more since they were sunk costs and “we might as well use them.”

As we started to go more - that’s when DVC seemed like a good idea.

As we felt we weren’t “paying for a room” and going more frequently, our approach and use of APs evolved. Walking over the morning of flight to MK to get a Dole Whip or do a ride was completely reasonable. If we had to pay for that day, no way. The more we have been over time, the more more explore new things like Drawn to Life or even Universal. So again, both DVC and APs have changed the way we visit.

So I could argue both sides of the AP/DVC debate. Either can generate the need for the other.

Access to 1 and non-bungalow 2BRs would be nice, but I’m more concerned about stretching the limited infrastructure (lava pool, trader sam’s, etc). I sure hope they have a good plan to add dining and pool space.

We love LV studios and the easy stroll to TTC for EPCOT. The view and convenience is terrific. That’ll be a bit of a hike from the new tower.
Trader Sam’s will become an urban legend, akin to the Yeti. Every once in a while you will meet someone who says they know someone who had a cocktail there. Yeah, right…sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter