The Official What's For Dinner thread: - Part 4

Here is a photo of last night's decadent tv dinner sandwich. It is extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced granny smith apples, fruit chutney, and bacon. Yum, everything is better with bacon!

Are you sure you aren't southern? That statement is practically one of the Commandments down here. :laughing:

Lori - Thanks for the embroidery offer. I'm going to take you up on it as soon as we know boy/girl and my SiL has the name decided.

Mermaid - Congrats to your daughter!

Glynis - Happy Birthday! (Sorry it's late) Thanks for the snow pics. That's about as close as I'm getting to it this year. Not that I'm complaining.

Aimee - I hope you are feeling wonderful tonight. I'll be thinking of you.

Kathy - I saw your post on your dining review thread. Is Kyle ok?

Hailey seems to be doing better. She still hasn't been eating very much, but otherwise, she seems like her old self. I called her dr who wants to wait and see if her appetite improves.

The Bavarian Stew on Monday was pretty good. It had a sweet taste that I wasn't crazy about and I thought it could use more spice, but the kids liked it and Kenny rated it a "4". If I make it again, I'll use less sugar and maybe season the pork some prior to browning.

Last night we had Chicken Parm. I modified it to make it lighter, but it was still good. Tonight will be leftovers.

Afternoon Y'all,

We went to Grandparent's Day at Alexis school this morning. She was very happy we were there. :cutie: :goodvibes

Came home & the glass shower door was delivered! :cool1: The closet door should go in tomorrow & it'll be finished!!! I'll post pics soon, after I get all of the fingerprints off of the door.;)

I'm going to fix Arroz con Pollo (Spanish Chicken and Rice). I was hoping I had posted my easy version recipe on here but no such luck. I can't find my gigantic folder of old recipes, I think it's in the abominable pit we call the spare room. Everything from the two closets we took out for the renovations as ended up in there & it's just awful. As soon as I have a break from remodeling, I will have to tackle that room.:scared1:

Anyway I had come up with any easier version of this dish & now I can't remember exactly what I did.:upsidedow So I'm off on an internet search for easy arroz con pollo!

Becky, That sandwich looks decandently delicious!!! I'm surprised you like bacon! I know you stay away from red meat, so I would have thought bacon would be a big no-no for you. I agree with Gretchen, you sound like a Southern girl for sure.:goodvibes

Welcome MMluvsWDW!

Kathy - I saw your post on your dining review thread. Is Kyle ok?

As OK as a broken-hearted teenager can be. I thought they might work it out but it doesn't look good. He's so sad and it's breaking my heart. Timing couldn't be better - they have an overnight retreat for Seniors tomorrow night, hopefully time away will help him.:sad1: Thanks for asking.:hug:

As OK as a broken-hearted teenager can be. I thought they might work it out but it doesn't look good. He's so sad and it's breaking my heart. Timing couldn't be better - they have an overnight retreat for Seniors tomorrow night, hopefully time away will help him.:sad1: Thanks for asking.:hug:

Kathy, What's going on? I just read through the last couple of pages on your review & I must be missing something.:confused3 What is Kyle heartbroken about?

Never mind, I read through more carefully & found it. I'm really sorry to hear this, I know you really liked her too. Believe me though Kyle will survive! I went though that several times with Angelina. It really breaks your heart because you want to make it better & you can't. But just when they've been really depressed for a while & you start to get seriously worried, all of a sudden they are over it! Usually because someone new as caught their eye.

A brown gravy with sauteed onions and mushrooms. I also add a teaspoon of horseradish (my secret ingredient, no one knows).

One day late -

Happy-Birthday-1.gif

Aw, thanks!

Kathy, What's going on? I just read through the last couple of pages on your review & I must be missing something.:confused3 What is Kyle heartbroken about?

Never mind, I read through more carefully & found it. I'm really sorry to hear this, I know you really liked her too. Believe me though Kyle will survive! I went though that several times with Angelina. It really breaks your heart because you want to make it better & you can't. But just when they've been really depressed for a while & you start to get seriously worried, all of a sudden they are over it! Usually because someone new as caught their eye.

Thanks Sheryl, I do feel helpless. I'm really glad this is parade weekend coming up, he'll be spending time with his friends and meeting new people. Johnny & I are going to try and keep him as busy as we can, we'll probably kick-up the car hunt a notch. He texted me a little while ago and said "I love you Mom, you're the only girl I need".:angel: IF ONLY I could hold him to that.;)

Thanks Sheryl, I do feel helpless. I'm really glad this is parade weekend coming up, he'll be spending time with his friends and meeting new people. Johnny & I are going to try and keep him as busy as we can, we'll probably kick-up the car hunt a notch. He texted me a little while ago and said "I love you Mom, you're the only girl I need".:angel: IF ONLY I could hold him to that.;)

What sweet thing to say. :hug: to Kyle

Glynis Happy birthday late
1.gif

Just got back from grocery shopping. Guess what I found at Costco? Croc's for 21.99. It almost makes staying home today worth while. I think I've finally caught the cold/flu bug oh yeh!

I picked up some pork chops for dinner,we will have that with some snap peas and noodles

Sheryl, I know, I am aware that the fact that I like bacon is kind of bizarre. Basically, I was a vegetarian for about 10 years. Eventually I started eating fish again (all kinds) and later poultry (in small amounts). I tried adding back in pretty much every other kind of meat, but I have found that no matter how often I tried, I still have extreme aversions to red meat (all kinds) and pork in every form except for bacon!

Thanks, everyone, for all the birthday wishes. I had a really nice day, yesterday, but I really don't like a lot of fuss for my birthday. My kids put together a treasure hunt. At the end of the hunt was a shoe box that they had filled with notes to me telling me what they liked about me. That was a much better present than the chocolate fountain they bought me!

Kathy, That is one sweet boy you have there! I think if he can even bring himself to say that already, he is going to be fine! You've done a good job Mom, but now Kyle is going to have to do some of the hard parts of "growing up" on his own. It's hard to for a Mom to watch, but we can all tell that he's already quite on his way to being a very good man!

What sweet thing to say. :hug: to Kyle

Glynis Happy birthday late
1.gif

Just got back from grocery shopping. Guess what I found at Costco? Croc's for 21.99. It almost makes staying home today worth while. I think I've finally caught the cold/flu bug oh yeh!

I picked up some pork chops for dinner,we will have that with some snap peas and noodles

Sorry your getting sick! But what a good deal on your croc's!

Glynis, Sorry I missed that you had a birthday! I hope it was a good one! Happy Birthday!!!

Sheryl, I know, I am aware that the fact that I like bacon is kind of bizarre. Basically, I was a vegetarian for about 10 years. Eventually I started eating fish again (all kinds) and later poultry (in small amounts). I tried adding back in pretty much every other kind of meat, but I have found that no matter how often I tried, I still have extreme aversions to red meat (all kinds) and pork in every form except for bacon!

Becky, You are eating such nutritous & healthy food every day (not to mention delicious), that every now and then, BACON DOES A BODY GOOD! ;)

Glynis, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! One day Late...

MM, Welcome!

Kathy, What is going on??? I am going to the other thread now...

Geez, I thought I had posted yesterday, but guess not. We had chili and corn muffins last night. Tonight was Glynis' Creamy Tomato Chicken. It was really yummy and easy! Okay, so I'm the only one who's eaten it, but that's all that matters right (kiddos refusing dinner again:sad2: and DH not home yet)

Glynis--Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a nice time--love the treasure hunt idea!

Kathy--Hugs to Kyle!:hug: But from what I've read his momma has raised him right

Janice -- Sorry to hear you are getting sick. Take it easy and get better soon.

Kathy -- Senior year seems to be tough on relationships. I know Kyle is hurting now, and I know how much you would like to take that hurt away, but he will get through it and he will be stronger for the experience. What he said about you being the only girl he needs was so sweet.

Glynis -- Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it yesterday. Enjoy the Cheesecake Factory.

I did end up making the broccoli soup. It was good. The kids had noodles, salad and rolls.

My thoughts exactly. And as cute as Kyle is, it won't take him long for someone to make sure they are in his line of sight. Not to mention what an incredibly nice guy he is. He was so sweet with my kids at the Boardwalk pool - not the typical teenage boy at all. Some lucky girl will grab him now that he's single.

That ought to do the trick. And tell him what a dear friend used to say to me - Always trade up, in relationships and in cars. ;) I hope he bounces back quickly (for both of you). Tell him I send my love.

Janice - so sorry to hear you are getting sick. Take care of yourself.

Thanks, everyone, for all the birthday wishes. I had a really nice day, yesterday, but I really don't like a lot of fuss for my birthday. My kids put together a treasure hunt. At the end of the hunt was a shoe box that they had filled with notes to me telling me what they liked about me. That was a much better present than the chocolate fountain they bought me!

How sweet! What thoughtful children you have.

Becky, You are eating such nutritous & healthy food every day (not to mention delicious), that every now and then, BACON DOES A BODY GOOD! ;)

:lmao: :lmao: It must. My great grandmother cooked bacon every morning and used the grease to cook almost everything else. I can remember the container of bacon grease in her fridge. And she lived to 85.

BTW - I haven't thanked you for the coffee. It arrived last week, but I got busy and forgot to thank you. I've saved a pack to enjoy this weekend.

Tonight I am making hamburger steaks with onions and green peppers, and fries. Hey Kathy, could you fill me in on your brown gravy recipe? I'd like to give it a try.

WFD at your house?

Morning All,

We are having one of Tom's favs...mexican chicken. All I do is put it in the crockpot with diced onion, a jar of salsa and a can of cheddar cheese soup...maybe some spices if I want extra zing. I'll serve it with rice and broccoli.

Have a great day!

He texted me a little while ago and said "I love you Mom, you're the only girl I need".:angel: IF ONLY I could hold him to that.;)

What a Sweetie! He make me want to cry.

Kathy, I know he is not going to want to hear it, but there is life after a breakup, and for a nice intelligent guy who happens to be an athlete.....there is a lot of life :thumbsup2. I know that once he gets over this he is going to be one sought after young man with one proud Mama!

Hey guys! So I just found this thread and am sooo glad. I now have an all new cookbook, THANKS!

Thanks again for everything and I can't wait to join you all in the WFD thread!

Welcome! Join us and please feel free to share your own recipes, we are always looking for new ones to try.

Hailey seems to be doing better. She still hasn't been eating very much, but otherwise, she seems like her old self. I called her dr who wants to wait and see if her appetite improves.

Poor baby :hug:. She sounds like Kady, when she does not feel well it takes her a long time to want to eat. I think these little ones remember more about how food tastes with a cold than we give them credit for. I hope that she gets better fast!

Afternoon Y'all,

We went to Grandparent's Day at Alexis school this morning. She was very happy we were there. :cutie: :goodvibes

Came home & the glass shower door was delivered! :cool1:

I bet you and Bob were as happy as she was!
Your bathroom is going to be finished sooner than you think :thumbsup2

Glynis- I tried to get online to wish you a Happy Birthday but the DIS was crawling and I cannot sit that long watching a the little hourglass clocking :headache:

Happy Belated Birthday! I too would love that wonderful gift from your children. More thought and effort went into that gift than anything from a store.

Janice- I hope that your cold/flu does not last too long. Kady has been fighting it as well and this morning I kept her home. It is cold and raw out so we are going to watch some original Mickey Mouse Club episodes later on. Please rest as well.

Dinner last night was good. We had New England Boiled Dinner. A smoked shoulder, potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, cabbage, steamed green beans and rye bread. Chocolate fudge cake for dessert with coffee.
Tonight we are going to have those darned stuffed peppers with mashed potatoes. I want to make a vegetable soup with the stock I kept from the ham if I have time today, if not I'll make it tomorrow.

Morning ladies!

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement for Kyle. I felt so bad for him because he is such a sensitive kid. His problem was that he was TOO good to Abi, if you know what I mean. After spending the week with them at Disney I realized that what Abi wants Abi gets and Kyle would do anything for her, which can be a good thing if it's mutual. Anyway, he has a great group of friends that are rallying around him, we had a houseful of boys last night, so we got pizza for all! We found a car for him and we're going to pick it up later this morning. I'm sure he'll be happy. He told me last night after all the boys left that there's already four girls, according to his friends, that are interested in him. He said he wants to focus on baseball right now!!!:thumbsup2

WFD - The Hamburger steaks I was going to make last night.

Lindsay - you can go two ways with the gravy. You can just use the packaged gravy mix or you can saute your onions & peppers, sprinkle with some flour, add beef broth and simmer away. Whichever way you choose, adding one teaspoon of prepared horseradish gives it a very unique "zing". No one will know it's there. As Rachael would say "What is that in there".;)

The kids have been asking for chicken wings, so I am going to make two kinds: sesame and another type for Liam since he doesn't like the sesame wings. With it, I am serving rice...again, two kinds...plain for Caili and fried rice for me and Liam. I'm not sure about a vegetable yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter