The Official What's For Dinner thread: - Part 4

FormrCastMbr

DIS Veteran
Hey All!

I may miss something so please forgive me. We tore down paneling and sheet rock in the hall and family room yesterday for 4 hours and my body hurts...got about 2 more hours of work today.

I will take pics later...

Becky, The fondue was great! We had alot of fun...I think next time, I will add some cooked chicken or beef to make it more of a meal (which I was fine with but Tom was missing his meat and I think he got sick of the salami).

Wendie, Glad your Mom is doing better. Hope Ross is and your Grandma.

Kathy, Way to go Kyle! Auntie Laur is so happy!!!

Stephanie, thanks for sharing your reviews.

Sheryl and Nancy, Hats off to you Grandmas...I am so happy that my Mom is soo close to A...:thumbsup2

We are going to Dave and Busters this afternoon/evening. We went there several months ago and loved it. Its like a Chuck E Cheese for adults and older kids (I think they have small kid games too) and they have a restaurant and bar!!! :woohoo: Its in a huge mall in Nyack NY too so I can do some returns that I need to do.

Have a great day all!

Good morning. Boy is it cold outside. :eek: I think for the most part we are staying in. I do have to get the car moving though so we will go to the bank and maybe to lunch and back home again.

Sheryl Thank you for the coffee. I will make that this afternoon. I think I'll bake something to have with the coffee.

Tonight I'm making beef soup in the crockpot. We need something to keep us warm. It is nice and toasty in the house.

We are going to Dave and Busters this afternoon/evening. We went there several months ago and loved it. Its like a Chuck E Cheese for adults and older kids (I think they have small kid games too) and they have a restaurant and bar!!! :woohoo: Its in a huge mall in Nyack NY too so I can do some returns that I need to do.

Have a great day all!

Sounds like fun, especially the bar!;)

Tonight I'm making beef soup in the crockpot. We need something to keep us warm. It is nice and toasty in the house.

Recipe??????

WFD - Trout Meuniere, Lemon Spaghetti and Spinach Salad.

Kathy, congratulations to Kyle! I hope he gets a scholarship.

Your dinner sounds awesome also. I have no idea what I am making yet because I had a HUGE breakfast...here is a picture:

2203265839_54955cff37.jpg

It is in my stomach like a rock! I'll probably be hungry around...oh, say, 10 PM.

Here are photos from last night's dinner. First, the cocktail:

2203929994_d9c02bf37c.jpg

Macaroni gratins...we split one:

2203138915_81ec039794.jpg

DH's filet with balsamic mushrooms:

2203930116_99701abdb2.jpg

I also made some roasted carrots and parsnips.

Morning, all! Not sure what's for dinner. Depends on our day, I guess. We ended up taking the kids to McD's for dinner last night, so I'm thinking we'll have soup and sammies tonight. Nothing spectacular, but it's comfort food, and no one has to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.

Becky, you're killing me with that filet. I'm drooling.

Tonight we were supposed to drive to ILs and go to dinner at Olive Garden for MILs birthday. DH is still going but I'm sick and miserable. I haven't been sick in almost a year and I'm not pleased. Fever, body aches, trouble breathing, the whole bit. I just got out of bed 15 minutes ago (at 1pm). I can't decide if it's bronchitis or a bad cold.

And of course my mother is flying in on Monday afternoon to be there Wed night for a special service at church for me so I cannot be sick!

DH is going alone while I stay at home and see if I can kick it.

Kathy, the drink is one ounce vodka, one ounce amaretto, two ounces orange juice, and three ounces of cranberry juice, shaken with lots of ice to get it diluted a bit and really cold. That is lemon ginger sugar around the rim.

I am still stuffed, but I decided on dinner. I'm making fajitas tonight. I have beef for my parents and chicken for DH and me. I need to find a marinade for the meat. I am also making rice, refried beans, corn, guacamole, and sauteed peppers and onions. For Liam, I am making burritos. He likes his with corn, black beans, rice, and montery jack cheese. No meat, no sauce!

DH is out running errands, and if he comes back with limes I will make margaritas too!

Aimee, we have a freezer full of filets right now! DH caught an online sale from lobels--it was buy one get one free. I think he bought 30! I told him he was still not getting red meat more than once a week, so they'll be in there for a loooooong time. (How long can you freeze meat for anyway? Does anyone know? I have them in our giant deep freezer, not the regular freezer.) I also wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon.

I'm sick and miserable. I haven't been sick in almost a year and I'm not pleased. Fever, body aches, trouble breathing, the whole bit. I just got out of bed 15 minutes ago (at 1pm). I can't decide if it's bronchitis or a bad cold.

I hope you start feeling better soon.:hug:

Kathy, the drink is one ounce vodka, one ounce amaretto, two ounces orange juice, and three ounces of cranberry juice, shaken with lots of ice to get it diluted a bit and really cold. That is lemon ginger sugar around the rim.

Thanks Becky, that sounds great!:thumbsup2

Becky, how do you so perfectly cook a filet that is that thick? It looks so good, and I would love to do that.

Good morning. Boy is it cold outside. :eek: I think for the most part we are staying in. I do have to get the car moving though so we will go to the bank and maybe to lunch and back home again.

Sheryl Thank you for the coffee. I will make that this afternoon. I think I'll bake something to have with the coffee.

Glad to hear you received it! Hope you enjoy it!:goodvibes

Evening all....sorry I have been MIA for a few days...between Ross being sick and my grandmothers eye surgery, it has been a busy few days.

Gram is doing just fine, nothing stops this women! She can already see better and can read her paper with out it seeming foggy. This is huge as she loves her paper and has missed it. (she had a film over the back of her lens....like a cateract(sp), but different...does that make sense?!!?)

My mother is doing OK...good days and bad....she is able to eat and drink through a straw now, she was having to have all things thick like honey consistency, but can have regular liqueds and soft foods, etc. Her voice is so much stronger, they took out more fluid from her lungs last night,but things seem to be going in the right direction. (fingers crossed)We are having an issue with her and pain meds, but this is a road we have traveled often with her. Her own DR will be back on Monday, so we will deal with it then.

Ross is getting better, still coughing, but not as hard and it sounds like things have loosened up quite a bit. He seems to have a bit more energy and actually ate a bit last night. School is out until Wed. so he will have time to get plenty of rest.

____
Becky--Thanks for the update on our skating star!! Glad that Caili's tummy bug passed fast and Laura didn't catch it!

Kathy--Please tell Kyle that his Aunt Wendie is just so proud of him!!! He is worth skipping a vacation for!! Stand tall my friend, you have raised a wonderful boy(man)!!

Aimee--I hope that you feel better. Try to rest, and drink plenty of fluids!!

Lauren--I can't wait to see your photos...remember lift with the knees, lol.

Kris is actually finishing our main bath this week, it got started 2 yrs ago, but when you are married to someone who builds spec houses....your stuff is always finished last.....I threatened that my girlfriend and myself were going to start laying tile, while the boys were at karate, so I think he is scared,lol....the thing is Jen and I would never get much done after the first margarita, lol!

Lindsey--can't wait to hear how the ring looks and what else is new with the SK's!!

Sheryl--my coffee had a mail mishap I am afraid, in the mail today I had the booklet from the company in a plastic post office bag, with the note "sorry contents were lost etc"......I do thank you though for thinking of me and sending me some!!!:)

I am sure I missed someone....I mean well.....if I missed something major let me know!

Last night we had hash browns with onions, cube steak with fried eggs on top and fresh green beans. Sounds like an odd combo, but was soooo good!!
Tonight will be pancakes and bacon....it is very cold here, and this sounds like comfort food!

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!

Becky, how do you so perfectly cook a filet that is that thick? It looks so good, and I would love to do that.

Hi! What I did was this: preheated my oven to 400 degrees. Then, I heated up a half and half mix of butter and oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Not too much...maybe 1 tsp. of each. Then, when the oil got really hot and started to smoke, I seared the steak on both sides until browned...not too long...maybe two 1/2 minutes a side.

Then. I put the skillet with the steak still in it right into the hot oven, and cooked it until it reached 115 degrees (about 10-15 minutes for a 5 oz. steak). I then took the steak out of the oven and out of the pan, put it on a cutting board, covered with foil, and let rest until it reached 120 degrees minimum (around 5-10 minutes resting time). That will give you the juicy red but heated through meat you see in my photo.

When the steaks are as thick as this one, I cook with a meat thermometer as opposed to touch. But, if you don't have a meat thermometer, another way to know when it is done is this: place in oven as I said, and then keep touching it every couple of minutes. When the meat feels like the fleshy pad of your plan under your thumb (while it is relaxed), then pull it from the oven. Cover with foil and let rest for a full 10 minutes before slicing.

Dinner photos:

Chicken for the fajitas, grilled:

2204346995_82cc1df308.jpg

Refried beans:

2204347109_071dcea368.jpg

Big bowl of guacamole:

2205136470_5b99cf701c.jpg

Aimee I hope that yo feel better soon. Stay in bed and get plenty of rest. The old going around lass for some time so you really need to rest to kick it.

Becky- Your food always looks so good! I have always been nervous about cooking filet's but you make it sound easy.

Wendie- Glad That Ross is perking up. His "bug" packed a triple punch I think. I know that your Mom is up and down but she really has a long way to go to be back to "normal". Her poor body is working so hard, it is going to take some time, I'm afraid.

Now your Gram is one tough cookie, isn't she? Good for her!
I know about the shoemaker's kids needing shoes as well. My DH works for a construction company and can have product delivered anytime. We were the last people on the street to get a paved driveway, and it took years for him to bring in another topcoat of process when our driveway was process.
Dinner tonight was DH request. We had wings and things. It was going to be just us and he has been craving them to munch in front of the TV. I went to store for odds and ends but did not pick up anything to cook for a real meal. My neighbor stops by and Buddy asks them for dinner :scared1:. No problem, I have gotten her 1/2 tipsy on brandy so she is fine with my appetizers, send Bud across the street for her soon to be husband, and we sit down with food in the oven. He does not show up. She calls. He still does not show up. She leaves but is ready to kill him. He is cleaning. Buddy is "forced" to eat all of the wings. I like him but if I was her I would run and run fast!

Kathy tonight beef soup was not one of my best. I really don't have a recipe. I just use beef with a bone ( our grocery store has beef bones, I get the meatiest) and roast them in the oven for about 20-30 min until brown. You can use oxtails too. Put all in a pot I use low sodium beef broth or stock (28oz) a couple of bay leaves, a can of stewed tomatoes and what ever veggies you like.

My soup tonight had no bones and got too salty :confused3. The bones make all the difference to great soup, in my opinion.

Aimee Rest up. The flu is going around my job everyone goes down for at least 48 hours.

I have 2 dogs that think it is summer outside, they keep wanting to go out. I just went out to start my car a get the Sunday paper and I hightailed it back inside.;) I'm no fool.

I'm not sure if I mentioned last weekend that Kyle was asked to try out for the Louisiana Knights traveling summer team which is mainly for exposure to the colleges. I was kinda happy that he was a longshot to make the team as the up-front cost is $2500. He got "the call" last night, he made it.

Congrats to Kyle! How exciting!!

congratulations77c.gif

After church today we are going to the Macaroni Grill with my in-laws and the SKs. They are planning on telling them they are engaged.

WFD at your house?

ETA: Well, yesterday was a flop. We were meeting the SKs at 1:00 at Barnes and Noble. It's takes about 25-30 minutes to get there and we are usually 10 minutes or so early to everything. While on our way, Scott's cell rings. It's Kevin. Turns out, they are both sick (I knew Kevin had been sick this week). They hadn't even gotten to the jewelry store. They were "both sick and piled up on her couch watching movies."

Ok, and you are calling us at 12:20 and we are meeting at 1?? :mad: Sorry you guys, but this honked me off. They had apparently been together all morning and them waiting until THAT late to call us was inconsiderate. I didn't say anything, but I was really frustrated. He knew we had to be in Chattanooga at 3 to eat with my grandmother and we were going down early for them. He KNEW we would be on our way. So we turned around and went right back home.

I know this seems like a big to-do about nothing, but I just found this really thoughtless. The store the were going to is about 20-25 minutes away from HER house. Tack on another 15-20 to get to the B&N we were going to meet at. If they'd been sick together all morning they knew WAY earlier than 12:20 that they weren't going to meet us. Had they called with the same story at 11 or so I wouldn't have cared one bit. Someone please tell me I had a right to be peeved, pretty please.

I am not going to say anything at lunch today. BUT, if Kevin says anything along the lines of, "sorry about yesterday," I'm going to say, "No problem. But for future reference, a little better notice would be appreciated."

I'm sorry, but you don't do this to people. It's rude. I had thrown out the idea to Robin of us going to Atlanta soon to the Cheesecake Factory and shopping. Kevin agreed. I was going to bring it up yesterday but obviously didn't get to. I have decided to put the ball in their court (yes, again) and let them make plans with us instead of the other way around.

Robin is off Monday and Tuesday, Kevin and Scott are off Monday as well. Kevin is in for the week (not traveling for work). I had told them last week since everyone is in town I wanted to cook for them again, just name the day. I'm really curious to see if they bring it up.

Also, we are not thrilled that they are telling Scott's parents at the restaurant today. We really feel it's a bad time and place. They had NO idea that they are even that serious and I'm really worried for them. They aren't going to take the news well. Not in a "you've got to be kidding me, you barely know each other" kind of way. They will just be really concerned at how fast things are going. They barely know Robin. The stink of it is, instead of leaving the restaurant and going back to my in-laws house to be with them and talk to them, the SKs will probably go pick up them ring. *sigh*

Thanks for letting me vent, you guys. I will let you know how things go. At least I don't have to cook tonight :cheer2:

Good Morning.... sometimes Lindsay, I just don't understand people.:confused3 I hope you have a good time today.

I'm making chili with cheese and sour cream (and Tostitos with Lime) today... we'll eat during the Patriot's game. GO PATS!!!!!

Good morning. Baby it's cold outside. I really wish I didn't have to work today.
Hope everyone is warm.

I don't know what is for dinner. I probably end up making chili.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter