• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Super sad about the Long walk now between Poly and GF. Long walks are already in abundance ;) If I had just bought VGF based on that walkway (which I was contemplating) I would not be feeling the pixie dust ...

I was patiently waiting for the 7 month window to come around so I could modify my May Magic Disney trip from my home resort of Old Key West. I was hoping to modify my 10 day reservation to the Poly.
Thursday, my daughter Christy asked me if I would like to change my trip to April so I could be down in Disney the same time they are going :love: It means going during April vacation since my grandson is now in pre-school. As a retired teacher, I spent many years going during vacations so that is not a problem!
I did get sticker shock with the point difference in April compared to May :oops: 10 days at the Poly in May is 159 points while the same 10 days in April is 231 points :crazy2: But this is a very small price to pay in order to experience Disney through the eyes of my then 4-year-old grandson, Drew and 5 1/2-year-old grandson, Brooks :love:
In order to save a few points, I booked all 10 days at the Grand Floridian Villas in a standard view deluxe studio for 220 points :goodvibes I'm so glad I modified my reservation on Thursday because by Friday there is already one day that is waitlist only! I was so surprised that the GFV were available for my whole trip especially since it was a little past the 7 month booking window!!
I have done split stays at the GFV but the longest one was 3 nights/4 days so I am beyond thrilled to have 10 days in the marvelous Grand Floridian Villas :cloud9:

Attachments

• 20191122_122433.jpg
    20191122_122433.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 11

It appears from the article that two crossings of Floridian Way are required for guests. I wonder if this will be the permanent solution?

Sadly, no way to know, and we were hoping to have DVC family at Poly, and DVC family at Grand Floridian. Glad we waited to purchase the VGF since that 10-15 minute walkway between the two resorts was a big part of our thought process. So frustrating, trying to think long term, but the path between VGF and Magic Kingdom seem iffy in our minds now too. (Updating, if you go a few posts following, a map was provided showing mostly direct walkways between Poly and GF will likely reopen - that's encouraging).

Last edited:
According to the map on the Disney website, there isn’t a crossing over Floridian Way and it seems to end at the corner of the parking lot for the spa/wedding chapel. I hope that's the case when staying at the original villas. I don't want to have to walk to the main building and crossing the road twice especially with kids.

According to the map on the Disney website, there isn’t a crossing over Floridian Way and it seems to end at the corner of the parking lot for the spa/wedding chapel. I hope that's the case when staying at the original villas. I don't want to have to walk to the main building and crossing the road twice especially with kids.
I’m going to repost @GADisneyDad14 post on the Poly Thread HERE

“The temporary walkway connecting the Polynesian Resort to the Grand Floridian Resort requires Guests to cross Floridian Way twice. Drivers should remember to stop at pedestrian crossings when pedestrians are present. If you are walking, be alert as some vehicles may not stop.”

Sadly, no way to know, and we were hoping to have DVC family at Poly, and DVC family at Grand Floridian. Glad we waited to purchase the VGF since that 10-15 minute walkway between the two resorts was a big part of our thought process. So frustrating, trying to think long term, but the path between VGF and Magic Kingdom seem iffy in our minds now too.
I agree with others that this is only a temporary pathway during construction. According to the article, even this longer path only took them about 9 minutes to walk between the resorts. Hopefully that helps your decision. :)

We ordinarily do first morning at VGF home breakfast at 'Ohana by walking/rolling along the Poly path.

The very thought of crossing Floridian Way scares me more than TOT any day!

Looks like we'll be going via boat or monorail until the new Poly Tower is done. Dagnabbit! That's such a lovely walk early in the day. Oh, well. An inconvenience for a year or so...

That is a beautiful view!! But does it have a monorail drive by it?🤣🤣🥰😉
Nope, just boats...and a beach where you can actually go in the water...and surf (although it's always black balled right in front of the hotel so you have to go down the strand a bit and it's not a great break).

image1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for all these updates. I had hoped to walk over to Poly with my mom, dd and dgs next week but
I am not going to if we have to exit and cross the busy street.

Is the GF walkway to MK still useable the way it has always been? I want us to be able to walk to MK and also out Chef Mickey ressies.

Thank you.

You don't care to hop onto the monorail from the GF to the MK or CR? That's what we do as short a ride as it is to both from the GF. Still a thrill after years of doing so to pull into the CR's monorail station IN the Tower.

We also enjoy the GF to MK boat. Very relaxing in reverse after wearing out my feet and DH's powerchair driving skills in the MK.

Pre-Ian Construction Work Continues at Grand Floridian

There, Disney Vacation Club opened more than 200 new resort studios that celebrate a “Mary Poppins” theme.

grand flo construction

At Boca Chica, the bulk of the observable work lately has focused on replacing the roof. Completely surrounded by barriers, the enormous building on the Seven Seas Lagoon continues to be completed covered in scaffolding from the ground to its top floor.

grand flo construction

Crews on large cranes worked to replace exterior siding. Similar to Big Pine Key, the exterior emergency stairwells also appear to be getting an update.
grand flo construction

With fencing now surrounding the barricaded walls, crews yesterday also appeared to check boards for stability. Later in the day, Walt Disney World began announcing closures in advance of Hurricane Ivan’s arrival tomorrow.

grand flo construction

With an extensive refurbishment underway, the Boca Chica work at the Grand Floridian could extend well into fall. Narcoossee’s closed in mid-July to begin its overhaul.

grand flo construction

As of now, Walt Disney World continues to project the restaurant to reopen sometime “next year,” according to the restaurant’s webpage.
grand flo construction

You don't care to hop onto the monorail from the GF to the MK or CR? That's what we do as short a ride as it is to both from the GF. Still a thrill after years of doing so to pull into the CR's monorail station IN the Tower.

We also enjoy the GF to MK boat. Very relaxing in reverse after wearing out my feet and DH's powerchair driving skills in the MK.
No, I prefer to walk and my mom uses the scooter so we are fine.

Can anyone please let me know if the walkway between GF and MK is still open as it has been.

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter