*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Meet Esther – Disney’s Grand Floridian’s First Female Greeter

At the Grand Floridian, that magic starts as soon as you step through the main entrance, and are met by the wonderful resort greeters, just like the beautiful Esther!

esther grand floridian greeter

I really hope the exterior work on Big Pine Key will be done in time for the scheduled opening! I'm booked in a resort studio beginning Monday night. Does anyone know what will happen if the room we booked is unavailable? I've checked for the other availability during the length of our stay and I haven't found anything else open. I'm getting a little worried!

I really hope the exterior work on Big Pine Key will be done in time for the scheduled opening! I'm booked in a resort studio beginning Monday night. Does anyone know what will happen if the room we booked is unavailable? I've checked for the other availability during the length of our stay and I haven't found anything else open. I'm getting a little worried!
The logical place would be one of the regular GF resort rooms. Different deco, but otherwise pretty much the same.

We just switched from BWV to the GFV resort studio for the end of August! We are excited to stay at GF! The rooms look beautiful! Do all rooms in Big Pine Key with lake view have a balcony? It’s hard to tell if the rooms on the 4th floor with the pitched overhang have a balcony. TIA

You should have a bottle of detergent in your room, if not, just call housekeeping and they will bring some! There is also a vending machine in the laundry room with items for purchase, such as detergent and dryer sheets. Enjoy!
Laundry detergent in the DX studios? I'm certain we've never had any in those. Were we cheated? ;-)

I recommend as did a PP bringing your own pods with dryer sheets in a ziptop bag. That's what I do, as I didn't think the ECOS brand Disney provides in the multi-bedrooms cleans very well.

Maybe I'm biased because the cleaning crew at a bookstore where I used to work were required to use ECOS provided by the store. They often complained they had to use twice as much or more product to get floors and restrooms acceptably clean.

Laundry detergent in the DX studios? I'm certain we've never had any in those. Were we cheated? ;-)

I recommend as did a PP bringing your own pods with dryer sheets in a ziptop bag. That's what I do, as I didn't think the ECOS brand Disney provides in the multi-bedrooms cleans very well.

Maybe I'm biased because the cleaning crew at a bookstore where I used to work were required to use ECOS provided by the store. They often complained they had to use twice as much or more product to get floors and restrooms acceptably clean.
We’ve had them under the sink in the garbage cabinet. Possibly by accident? If not, we just ask for them. Never had any issue getting them if needed.

If you are only staying for a few days, I think the Resort Studio is actually a fantastic location if you don't need a kitchenette....

Resort Studios: <snip!>
Location. It is so much closer to the monorail/food/etc. It really feels "part" of the resort if that is what you like
I'm glad to see someone agreeing with me :-) that the RS could be exactly what some guests prefer if they're people who refuse to cook for themselves while on vacation.

I heartily agree that being located much nearer than VGF1 to the GF main building is a decided advantage. It's little more than a brief stroll to either the GF veranda door or the entrance to Gaspy's from BPK. Somewhat a hike from VGF1.

I suspect we'd have bought in far sooner than we did had the RS been available while we were using the Deluxe dining plan. We never ate much in our GF rooms, only occasionally fixing a coffee. The RS would have worked fine for us. Still would if the spaciousness of the 1br hadn't long ago spoiled us both. 😁

We just switched from BWV to the GFV resort studio for the end of August! We are excited to stay at GF! The rooms look beautiful! Do all rooms in Big Pine Key with lake view have a balcony? It’s hard to tell if the rooms on the 4th floor with the pitched overhang have a balcony. TIA
I think you’re referring to the 5th floor studios? According to this article https://dvcnews.com/resorts/grand-f...oridian-units-declared-into-condo-association a few of the 5th floor studios don’t have a balcony & several have small ‘box’ balconies but all of the studios on floors 1 - 4 have regular balconies.

I'm glad to see someone agreeing with me :-) that the RS could be exactly what some guests prefer if they're people who refuse to cook for themselves while on vacation.

I heartily agree that being located much nearer than VGF1 to the GF main building is a decided advantage. It's little more than a brief stroll to either the GF veranda door or the entrance to Gaspy's from BPK. Somewhat a hike from VGF1.

I suspect we'd have bought in far sooner than we did had the RS been available while we were using the Deluxe dining plan. We never ate much in our GF rooms, only occasionally fixing a coffee. The RS would have worked fine for us. Still would if the spaciousness of the 1br hadn't long ago spoiled us both. 😁

Agree as well! We‘ve owned BWV for 20+ years and love to be in the middle of all the action, securing BW View rooms whenever possible. I’ve always enjoyed VGF, but don’t love the somewhat remote location of the DVC rooms.

I had no intention of ever buying more DVC points, but once they announced the Resort studios with preferred pricing I fell in love with the decor and location and somewhat impulsively purchased an add-on contract this spring. Already looking forward to stays in October (VGF only, long weekend) and next March (split stay with a longer BWV stay). Can’t wait!

I think there is a difference though between cooking and wanting things like the toaster, micro and full coffee maker to use.

Toasting a bagel in the morning, making oatmeal or heating left overs from a meal isn’t really cooking but can’t be done in the resort studio.

I still have a feeling some of those things will be added down the line, especially if DVC gets feedback from guests who booked not realizing what would be missing.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I still can't get past the fact that IT'S NOT A STUDIO. It's a hotel room.

I mean, at this rate they could take two connecting standard hotel rooms and start calling them "Resort Two Bedroom Villas". There's no arguing they're two rooms with beds in them, right?

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I still can't get past the fact that IT'S NOT A STUDIO. It's a hotel room.

I mean, at this rate they could take two connecting standard hotel rooms and start calling them "Resort Two Bedroom Villas". There's no arguing they're two rooms with beds in them, right?
Your correct , this is a soft refurb of a hotel room that to be honest, is dated on day one. This decor looks like a senior citizens bedroom from the 80s.

The one draw to GF is that it did not attract the ”let’s cram 6 in a room” set and was mostly couples. That building was known for the lack of soundproofing so now we get to attempt sleep between 2 packed rooms.

What do singles or couples do with the redundent queen bed now taking up space? Where do we eat our food when we have a quite night in the room?

Now we have 3x the people and they are all competing for the existing deluxe studios.

Your correct , this is a soft refurb of a hotel room that to be honest, is dated on day one. This decor looks like a senior citizens bedroom from the 80s.

The one draw to GF is that it did not attract the ”let’s cram 6 in a room” set and was mostly couples. That building was known for the lack of soundproofing so now we get to attempt sleep between 2 packed rooms.

What do singles or couples do with the redundent queen bed now taking up space? Where do we eat our food when we have a quite night in the room?

Now we have 3x the people and they are all competing for the existing deluxe studios.

People who don’t want the extra bed…like me…won’t be booking them.

I definitely think it will strain the deluxe studio booking. We didn’t buy for resort studios, but the original rooms.

Now, we go for 1 bedrooms most often..but I have decided for my winter trips, since it’s only 1 night here and 2 at RIV, that I will snag the 2 deluxe studios to start and then drop one if I end up solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter