The *OFFICIAL* HHN Review Thread

It started out really, really slow, then picked up as the night wore on. Still, the longest line we saw was maybe 45 mins. to an hour if that. Most were more like 30 mins. at their worst, and as it got later they dropped back down again. We did a TON after Stay & Scream before finally switching to Express, and even when we were using our EPs the average was 30 mins. so EP was pretty much walk-on.

I'll do a more complete report tomorrow, but I'm happy to say that almost all of the houses were in fine form even though it was the last night. We had some really stellar scares. We also stalked Notatourist, hee hee! I'm really sad it's over...all except my feet because running around on them from 4:30 p.m. till 1:30 a.m. did not do them much good. But hey, I had to get my fix to last till next year.

Okay, I am awake now and can do a little trip report on the last night. It was rather melancholy, especially when it got really late and they were taking down the ropes and the houses had noticable gaps. But up till then things were great and the lines were unbelievably short for most of the night. The crowd density did get worse as the night wore on, but it only seemed to affect the lines for a short period...probably coincided with the shows letting out, although I didn't pay attention because we just used Express at the worst times. But really, we could have done almost as much without EP.

We lost count, but I think we did over 30 houses. We repeated everything multiple times except Interstellar Terror. We did the Finnegan's area Stay & Scream and did Creatures and Body Collectors twice early on...we won't normally do the BC walk more than once in a row, but the A team was totally on their game.

We mostly concentrated on our favorites, which meant Doomsday for me (plus Dead Exposure, Scary Tales, Creatures, Body Collectors, and a few in the Hallow because hubby likes it) and we managed to go through some of them by ourselves a couple of times. I literally got chased through three rooms by one scareactor in Doomsday. The only house that really seemed flat was Mary. Interstellar was a little better than usual, but we still only did it once because we just can't get all that excited about it.

The scareactors in Dead Exposure were good, but I think part of the reason it doesn't impress me as much anymore is that we just know it so well. In the other houses, there is more of a chance to change things up. The concept of DE is great but it just wore off after so many times through. In some of the other houses they changed things and attacked from new positions so they were always 'fresh.'

The scarezones were all in fine form so we made a point of walking through most of them multiple times. Stinkin' stilt walkers got me again...ugh! I just hope they bring back the zombie drill team next year, although I loved Streets of Blood and American Gothic too. And let me tell you, the one silver mirror guy that scuttles around can scuttle FAST!! Even up the curb!

We did all the other houses repetitively and our feet are busy reminding us today! I shudder to think just how many miles we walked, as we were on the go from the time they released us a little before 6 until we were getting in the car around 2 a.m. That's 8 hours, with only two breaks: Bill & Ted (which was still unimpressive) and burgers at Richters.

The only bummer came as the hour got later and the crowd decidedly changed. Although there's always drunks around, usually they don't have much of an impact on our fun. But around midnight it wasn't as much fun going through the houses because there were so many drunk-out-of-their-skulls groups and gang banger types who just wanted to go through and heckle and make smart mouthed comments and see if they could break something without getting caught. Between that and the very noticeable scareactor gaps in the houses it wasn't as much fun anymore. We finally threw in the towel around 1:30 after a last run-through of Doomsday.

All in all, it was an awesome HHN season and it's gonna be hard to wait another year.

Just out of curiousity since we've never actually been there on Halloween night, do they hand out candies?

Inkcognito, I hope this question doesn't sound too personal, but how do you find time to do Halloween Horror Nights so many times? And also, doesn't it get boring after a while? I mean me and my friend went the second Saturday it was open (which was truly dead, no waits whatsoever) and every house we did the second time around lost its scariness and impressiveness because, well, I've been there already.
I also can't help but wonder how you go to an even like HHN and of all things to pay attention to, you notice what team of scareactors is best and how many times you've done each house. I can't even remember what the time of day is or where I've been half an hour ago at a theme park.
Maybe you and me are completely different, I don't know, but I thought I was the ultimate park fan but you take it to the next level, and I can't help but ask...:confused3

We live in the Kissimmee area so it's just a matter of jumping in the car after work or on Sun. Not much different from people who sit around in the evening and watch sports or TV shows or go out to a bar or a get-together or whatever else they enjoy. We just happen to be Halloween fans. If it weren't HHN season, we'd be going to Disney or USF/IOA once a week or so, but we have to fit a lot of HHN into a very short time. Maybe I'm just weird 'cause I was born so close to Halloween. ;) Before we lived in FL, we would go to different community haunted houses every weekend leading up to the season.

This is the first year I've started to pay attention to the different teams. I discovered the Vault which taught me a lot I never knew. I've always been the sort who could ride a favorite roller coaster or other ride over and over, so I guess going through the houses is sort of the same...and it's primal scream therapy for me. Noticing the differences in the different teams added a whole new aspect. After a while, they started to recognize us too and knocking up the interaction a few notches.

Think of it in terms of people who are into things like Rocky Horror or the really, really obsessed Disneyana types. We all pick our poison, so to speak, and theme parks are mine in general but Halloween in particular! :thumbsup2

I got "kidnapped" for the final night. I started out with one group, did Doomsday and Interstellar Terror before heading towards group 2, which was by MiB. I got "kidnapped" by group 2 because I had my camera, which had pics from the Halloween party I was at the night before. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

I did a final walkthrough of Reflections of Fear (I'm going to miss those gorgeous Marys :lovestruc ), Creatures, Interstellar Terror, and Body Collectors. I left with two others, as the rest of that group was going to stay for the last Bill & Ted. Darn this having to be up early for opening!

Now HHN is over. I'm glad in a way, but I am going to miss it. Especially the Marys. :cool2: :rolleyes1

I discovered the Vault which taught me a lot I never knew.

I am also one that could go pretty much every night but I live a hour and a half away so we were only able to go 5 times this year. I love all the different things that happened and every house is different every time you go through them.

What is this Valut you speak of? I love any backstage info that I can get about anything Universal.

Thanks in advance.

The Vault is where the Gentlemen (the Body Collectors) throw you if you stop moving while in their house! :rolleyes1

:laughing:

Not sure if I am allowed to put a link but if you google HHN and Vault and Forums...well, let's just say don't blame me if you're sucked in reading for the next few hours.

barb, i'm surprised you don't do that other board i do about universal....
great stuff for the hard ticket event

I also went Five times this year and loved every second of it. If I lived anywhere near Universal I'd do HHN every night I could as well!:cool1:

Not sure if I am allowed to put a link but if you google HHN and Vault and Forums...well, let's just say don't blame me if you're sucked in reading for the next few hours.

Thank you for the help and you're right. Let the reading begin!!!

We live in the Kissimmee area so it's just a matter of jumping in the car after work or on Sun. Not much different from people who sit around in the evening and watch sports or TV shows or go out to a bar or a get-together or whatever else they enjoy. We just happen to be Halloween fans. If it weren't HHN season, we'd be going to Disney or USF/IOA once a week or so, but we have to fit a lot of HHN into a very short time. Maybe I'm just weird 'cause I was born so close to Halloween. ;) Before we lived in FL, we would go to different community haunted houses every weekend leading up to the season.

This is the first year I've started to pay attention to the different teams. I discovered the Vault which taught me a lot I never knew. I've always been the sort who could ride a favorite roller coaster or other ride over and over, so I guess going through the houses is sort of the same...and it's primal scream therapy for me. Noticing the differences in the different teams added a whole new aspect. After a while, they started to recognize us too and knocking up the interaction a few notches.

Think of it in terms of people who are into things like Rocky Horror or the really, really obsessed Disneyana types. We all pick our poison, so to speak, and theme parks are mine in general but Halloween in particular! :thumbsup2

I live in Orlando too and having just left the house, I've got no money to spend on all that HHN! I've got a US/IOA pass and my family takes me to Disney sometimes and that's it! Me and my friends may go to IOA or USF once a month or twice a month even then. I wish that I eventually get a job that I can do it like you!:laughing: I'm hoping to get into film in a couple years (which is why Universal is perfect for me!)

With the HHN website being updated and new questions emerging about 2009 HHN, I thought that it would be a good idea to bump this thread back up.

We'll need to start a new thread for this year. ;)

Agreed! But for now, this thread will give posters an idea of what kind of crowds they could expect during their upcoming HHN visit and help them plan accordingly: using Stay and Scream, Express pass, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter