*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Checked to see if we are at day 101 yet and it is actually 99! Yay!

I am going to look for reusable ponchos this trip, anyone have a recommendation for something not too bulky? Just go ahead and buy the Disney ones?

I am going to look for reusable ponchos this trip, anyone have a recommendation for something not too bulky? Just go ahead and buy the Disney ones?

Disney ones hold up really well. We have a couple of them. I also bring a couple cheap dollar ones that I can toss. They are shorter tho, so not great if you wear capris.

OH and Disney will replace theirs if they rip.

I have one of these ponchos;
https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-...&keywords=Frogg+Toggs+Men's+Ultra+Lite+Poncho
And one of these jackets.
https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-...&keywords=Frogg+Toggs+Men's+Ultra+Lite+Poncho
I prefer the jacket because it doesn't catch the wind and turn me into a hang glider.........

8/4 - 8/17 at Art of Animation Lion King with free dining

We have had several August trips, however all of them have been in late August into September .

I am nervous about the significant difference in crowds levels between early August and late August. We go rope drop until park closing most days. The heat doesn't stop us since it's fairly similar to NJ weather, but I can see the crowds getting to us. I've never been able to effectively schedule breaks back at the resort, between FP, meals and travel time it just seems like a whole lot of work. I should probably re-think that strategy.

I booked Disney After Dark, Frozen & Stars Wars dessert parties, Plaza Garden dessert party and EMM on 3 days. This should give a nice amount of lower crowd experiences.

We brought ponchos from home (Walmart ponchos I believe) and also ended up buying Disney ponchos for each of use. So one to wear, one to dry. It rained nearly every day last time we went in August, which is typical during the summer months. Walmart had kids sized ponchos in colors. I also had a poncho from IKEA, but didn't like that one.

So excited to finally be posting after 8 years. We are going Home! We will be there August 14-19 staying at ASMo. This is my first time at a value resort and i am excited to check it out. Our ADRs were limited since we just booked but I am happy with them all. Breakfast at Garden Grill, Lunch at Tusker House and Skipper’s Canteen, Dinner at Whispering Canyon and Fantasmic package at H&V.

I am surprising my DS(10) with this trip and he hasn’t been since he was 2 almost 3. It will be just a mommy/son trip. I am so excited. It is also going to be a special trip as we will be there over the same time my husband and i were there on our honeymoon. My husband passed away in 2008 when my son was 9 months old. When we were on our honeymoon we made a leave a legacy tile. I find it every time I go back but this will be the first time my son gets to see it and understand the meaning of it.

Last edited:
So excited to finally be posting after 8 years. We are going Home! We will be there August 14-19 staying at ASMo. This is my first time at a value resort and i am excited to check it out. Our ADRs were limited since we just booked but I am happy with them all. Breakfast at Garden Grill, Lunch at Tusker House and Skipper’s Canteen, Dinner at Whispering Canyon and Fantasmic package at H&V.

I am surprising my DS(10) with this trip and he hasn’t been since he was 2 almost 3. It will be just a mommy/son trip. I am so excited. It is also going to be a special trip as we will be there over the same time my husband and i were there on our honeymoon. My husband passed away in 2008 when my son was 9 months old. When we were on our honeymoon we made a leave a legacy tile. I find it every time I go back but this will be the first time my son gets to see it and understand the meaning of it.

I hope the two of you have an amazing trip! Tusker House is fantastic. We tried it for the first time last year, and will be eating there again this year.

You might want to take the time to get photos of the Leave a Legacy tile. There is a lot of work planned for EPCOT over the next few years, and plenty of rumors point to those tiles being removed from the entrance to the park.

Hi my fella August vacation people. I’m going very early in August. First time during the summer but have been to florida many times during summer.

Ah those storms.

Lately I’ve been getting nervous about the weather. My last trip to Disney was sunshine the entire time, no rain lol in May.

That won’t happen in August ( you never know, positive thoughts )

I rented through DVC so I don’t have the option of really getting a refund if weather causes cancellation.

Does anyone have a recommended trip insurance?

It’s only really the DVC I’m worried about. The flights and tickets will be used. Not that expensive to change my flight.

I never been to Disney in rainy season. I’ve also never had rain on any vacation I been on lol amazing right.

I just look to be positive and hope for the best and tons of fun. I mean florida just had a bad hurricane. The chances of two years in a row gotta be slim I hope. ( stay away bands of tropical rain from storms that pass the coast!! )

Thanks.

Hi my fella August vacation people. I’m going very early in August. First time during the summer but have been to florida many times during summer.

Ah those storms.

Lately I’ve been getting nervous about the weather. My last trip to Disney was sunshine the entire time, no rain lol in May.

That won’t happen in August ( you never know, positive thoughts )

I rented through DVC so I don’t have the option of really getting a refund if weather causes cancellation.

Does anyone have a recommended trip insurance?

It’s only really the DVC I’m worried about. The flights and tickets will be used. Not that expensive to change my flight.

I never been to Disney in rainy season. I’ve also never had rain on any vacation I been on lol amazing right.

I just look to be positive and hope for the best and tons of fun. I mean florida just had a bad hurricane. The chances of two years in a row gotta be slim I hope. ( stay away bands of tropical rain from storms that pass the coast!! )

Thanks.

We go every August, so we're used to the rain. Dare I say we even love the rain! A cloudy day is better than a sunny day in August. At least that's the way we look at it. It helps us cope with the heat.

Hope that lucky no rain streak continues for you though!
Sorry. No advice about trip insurance. We don't get it.

We go every August, so we're used to the rain. Dare I say we even love the rain! A cloudy day is better than a sunny day in August. At least that's the way we look at it. It helps us cope with the heat.

Hope that lucky no rain streak continues for you though!
Sorry. No advice about trip insurance. We don't get it.

So since you’ve went every August, do you ever have sunny days??? Lol

So since you’ve went every August, do you ever have sunny days??? Lol

:rotfl: You know, sometimes we do. The rain can be so weird and random. You could be at AK and have torrential downpours while it's completely sunny at MK. The next day could be the opposite. So you might have two days of rain or two sunny days depending on where you decided to go. It's such a crapshoot.

:rotfl: You know, sometimes we do. The rain can be so weird and random. You could be at AK and have torrential downpours while it's completely sunny at MK. The next day could be the opposite. So you might have two days of rain or two sunny days depending on where you decided to go. It's such a crapshoot.

Well a funny thought just came in my head. I usually go to places where I’m at a beach for vacation. Now if it rained there, the vacation is literally ruined and wasted. Rain at Disney on the other hand really doesn’t effect much the whole time. Just when you actually get a on a ride.

Ala you can actually still have a vacation to enjoy instead of staying inside while it rains in a beachfront hotel lol

Well a funny thought just came in my head. I usually go to places where I’m at a beach for vacation. Now if it rained there, the vacation is literally ruined and wasted. Rain at Disney on the other hand really doesn’t effect much the whole time. Just when you actually get a on a ride.

Ala you can actually still have a vacation to enjoy instead of staying inside while it rains in a beachfront hotel lol

We just poncho up and keep going when we're in a park. Sometimes it clears a park out. Love that!

I hope the two of you have an amazing trip! Tusker House is fantastic. We tried it for the first time last year, and will be eating there again this year.

You might want to take the time to get photos of the Leave a Legacy tile. There is a lot of work planned for EPCOT over the next few years, and plenty of rumors point to those tiles being removed from the entrance to the park.

This will be our first time at Tusker House i am excited to eat there. My son is a very picky eater so finding Places he will eat can be difficult. I really hope he likes it.

There have been rumors about removing the tiles for years it seems. Everytime I have gone i have taken a bunch of pictures because i expect it to be the last time.

I agree with those who want them taken out. I don’t think the structures are that attractive. I just wish they would find a mew way to incorporate the pictures. I am sure i am not the only one who’s tile has turned into a memorial.

This is a photo from the last time i was there.

B21F7E52-17D9-4B03-8EC5-90B5C45395BF.jpeg

So this is my first time going without a stroller. I have never packed light when going to the parks because i have had a stroller to carry everything.

Anyway this time I expect both my son and I will carry backpacks. I know we will have my wallet, phone, and ponchos, but what else should we pack for while in the park?

So this is my first time going without a stroller. I have never packed light when going to the parks because i have had a stroller to carry everything.

Anyway this time I expect both my son and I will carry backpacks. I know we will have my wallet, phone, and ponchos, but what else should we pack for while in the park?

Maybe sunscreen, sunglasses? Try to pack light. We wear running shoes to the park but always carry flip flops in our bag in case the rain is too much. I hate wet running shoes.

This will be our first time at Tusker House i am excited to eat there. My son is a very picky eater so finding Places he will eat can be difficult. I really hope he likes it.

There have been rumors about removing the tiles for years it seems. Everytime I have gone i have taken a bunch of pictures because i expect it to be the last time.

I agree with those who want them taken out. I don’t think the structures are that attractive. I just wish they would find a mew way to incorporate the pictures. I am sure i am not the only one who’s tile has turned into a memorial.

This is a photo from the last time i was there.

View attachment 322113

My family are pretty picky eaters, and all managed to enjoy lunch at Tusker House. I was a bit concerned that it might be too spicy for me, but it was fine.

Awesome that you have photos of the tile. I know there have been rumors for quite some time, but there has been a significant uptick in those rumors as of late.

It was quite an adjustment for us as well, when DS finally gave up the stroller. DW carries a backpack sometimes, though not every day. DS and I carry what we can load into the pockets of our cargo shorts. Sometimes we carry my camera bag. That has a few zip lock bags, a can of deodorant, and a small first aid kit. We also sometimes bring a small soft sided cooler with drinks and sandwiches. When we bring the cooler, it goes into a locker.

The truth is, most of the time, we travel pretty light. A Fuel Rod to charge phones with, my small card wallet with a bit of cash in it, a small can of deodorant, a couple of zip lock bags, a spare pair of socks, sun screen, that really is about it.

Maybe sunscreen, sunglasses? Try to pack light. We wear running shoes to the park but always carry flip flops in our bag in case the rain is too much. I hate wet running shoes.

I have a question

Why do people recommend the flip flops when raining. Won’t your feet just get very wet at that point.

Thanks

I have a question

Why do people recommend the flip flops when raining. Won’t your feet just get very wet at that point.

Thanks

Sometimes you get short but torrential downpours that leave lots of puddles.
I don't mind wet bare feet in flip flops. I just hate wet socks and running shoes.

If you are wearing sneakers or shoes that get soaking wet...you may very well wind up with blisters. When the ground is flooded, it's best to have flip flops on at that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!