*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Wow, just went through and made my initial touring plans through the site. Took a loooong time. Helped me figure out more dining and switch around some plans.

Am a bit skeptical of the seemingly short wait showing for alien saucers, may skip if it ends up insane. I have HS on 60+4; hoping there are Slinky Dog FP still avail. Looking forward to hearing others’ experiences getting them- will post mine.

I’m splurging with a Star Wars dessert party and EMM for an MK day. As I currently have it, I’m keeping us pretty busy in the mornings, most afternoons for naps or pools, and a few early mornings :scared:.

I’m exhausted from planning, ha!

I keep thinking that we're going to stay there again sometime, but I love PO resorts, POP and BC, as well as trying new resorts ... never enough time in Disney!
So true!!

Am a bit skeptical of the seemingly short wait showing for alien saucers, may skip if it ends up insane. I have HS on 60+4; hoping there are Slinky Dog FP still avail. Looking forward to hearing others’ experiences getting them- will post mine.
Are they speculating wait times?
I have DHS at my 60+3, kinda nervous but will just drop TSMM and rope drop SDD if we cannot get a fastpass. Hope Alien Swirling Saucers (whhhyyy Disney did you have to make a ride I cannot shorten properly ;) ) is a nice short wait and we can just go on that second.

I think as far as HS goes we really can't plan till mid to late July till we see what the lines look like. Bonus is of you don't mind getting up early you can hit EMM
We are going to really try to get up for the 7am EMH they are offering during our August trip. My teens are not morning people at home, but they do move pretty well in the morning at Disney (especially now that they drink coffee if necessary to wake up:-)) Here's hoping we can get a FP for one new ride and do the other new ride at 7am rope drop along with TSM. I will be watching July reports.

So true!!

Are they speculating wait times?
I have DHS at my 60+3, kinda nervous but will just drop TSMM and rope drop SDD if we cannot get a fastpass. Hope Alien Swirling Saucers (whhhyyy Disney did you have to make a ride I cannot shorten properly ;) ) is a nice short wait and we can just go on that second.

Yep, longer waits for SDD, less than half of SDD for A$$ for the two days I was checking. Like another poster mentions, will have to wait and see how things really look once open.

:wave2: I'm doing an unexpected trip to Disney in August. It will be just my 11yo daughter and me. This is the first time we're doing a vacation with just the two of us with the exception of a short trip to WI Dells a few years ago. I'm crazy excited about the idea of a Disney trip where I'm not planning it around the needs of 4-5 people. The two of us are usually on the same page, so it'll be a lot less work for me.
Our dates are 8/18-8/26. We were originally booked at Pop with a 2- night RO and the following 6 nights under a FD package. But, we switched to the Poly under a great TA deal.
We had an August trip in 2016 (hotter than the surface of the sun). I think it must be like child birth in that during it you think never again (wow, that humidity), but after you only remember the best parts. ::yes::

In case anyone is looking, we just just cancelled a pre-park ADR for CP on 8/31 (same day as MNSSHP) and 6 pm dinner at Beaches and Cream on 8/30 - both for 4 people.

We still have a 9 am 'Ohana breakfast to drop on 8/31 as well. We decided to make the morning of 8/31 another HS day.

What are your general time-of-day touring plans, fellow augusters?

Are you going to do rope drop to mid-day, then go back in the evenings?

Are you going to only go after 4/5pm?

Are you planning all-day-long days?

Or something else?

We haven’t gone in high heat before, and the “is August that bad” thread is making me rethink my plans.

We usually do rope drop to noon and then a few times we go back in the evenings.

I’m wondering if we should adjust our Park plans to start late afternoon/early evening after good late breakfasts and pool lounging. Have 2 kids, middle and upper elementary.

It would feel so strange to do. But certainly more relaxing not waking early. What is it like in the parks at 9 or 10am?

Or something else?

Everyone's a bit different, but we tend to be late shift types... this will be the first time in August but were there in late July a couple times before, not much different.

We generally start around 10am in Park 1 and ride our 3 FP rides (start times normally based on FP1 time) and get done riding those by about 2-3pm or so, and that's when weather is hottest and crowds are heaviest so that's when we head back to hotel for a couple hours or so. After that we head to Park 2 around the time of our first add-on FP (set after the original 3 are used) and stay at Park 2 until closing, then repeat the next day at a couple other parks. Some days we stay at the same park all day but generally visit 2 and base that on the TouringPlans crowd estimator (which may not be perfect but better than flipping a coin)...

Good luck!

Or something else?

We haven’t gone in high heat before, and the “is August that bad” thread is making me rethink my plans.

We usually do rope drop to noon and then a few times we go back in the evenings.

I’m wondering if we should adjust our Park plans to start late afternoon/early evening after good late breakfasts and pool lounging. Have 2 kids, middle and upper elementary.

It would feel so strange to do. But certainly more relaxing not waking early. What is it like in the parks at 9 or 10am?

We've become lazy August travellers. We used to rope drop when the kids were young but now they're 11 and 14 and they like to sleep in. We rarely make ADR's and we frequently flip around parks day of, so I'm constantly cancelling/changing fp's. Most days we don't roll into the parks til noon. Sometimes we stay all day, sometimes we park hop, sometimes we stay for a few hours and go back after dinner. Our plans are very loose, cause it's hot, so we go with the flow most days.

Or something else?

We've never been in August before (well, 20 or more years ago), so this is new for us. Our plan as of now is RD, then try to be out of the parks by noon. Leave the resort around 430 to go back to the park. There are a two days were we have an ADR for 1 ish, so we will try to stay in the parks those days. If it's unbearable after we eat, we'll head back to the resort then come back later.

We are going to try to get as much done as we can from 8/9 AM until 10/11. We figure that'll probably be the coolest time of day (and I know it won't be cool). Is that true, or would it be cooler (just for lack of a better word) after 6 PM?

I am a first time August traveler but have done September which I am guessing is somewhat similar (even if not quite as hot). We plan on doing rope drop, heading back around 12-1 for lunch/swim/nap/recharge all our power banks ;) then head back to the parks 4ish or so.

If you think a late start sounds relaxing maybe try a day like that in the beginning and see how it works for you guys.

Where are you guys staying?

Or something else?

We always go in late July/August. One thing to keep in mind is the weather, which usually deteriorates in the afternoon. That said, we always do RD, and head back to the resort around 1pm for a 'storm break'. If it doesn't rain we enjoy the pool, and we return to the parks early evening. This strategy has worked out well for us, and last summer we did not have to break out the ponchos at all.

We are going to try to get as much done as we can from 8/9 AM until 10/11. We figure that'll probably be the coolest time of day (and I know it won't be cool). Is that true, or would it be cooler (just for lack of a better word) after 6 PM?

It's never cool. I actually think I find the mornings to be the hottest time, cause it's generally sunny then. It's the sun that does me in, not the humidity. Sometimes we've done our best touring in the afternoon when the clouds roll in. After 6pm starts to bring relief from the blazing sun. I love the August nights!

I am a first time August traveler but have done September which I am guessing is somewhat similar (even if not quite as hot). We plan on doing rope drop, heading back around 12-1 for lunch/swim/nap/recharge all our power banks ;) then head back to the parks 4ish or so.

If you think a late start sounds relaxing maybe try a day like that in the beginning and see how it works for you guys.

Where are you guys staying?

I am probably going to try the late start a few days. It’s just once we do this, we are committed due to FP, at least for our top rides. So, decisions.

We are at Boardwalk for the first part, then Grand Floridian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter