The Official April 2012 Car Rental Thread

We are 10 days until our vacation. I have a great deal that I jumped on about a month ago. That deal was available for one day and one day only after that the rate jumped and has not gone down since. I have never seen this before, usually it drops a few times before departure and I can cancel and rebook, not this time. I am thrilled I checked rates that one day.

Same thing here. Last year I rebooked several times as it went lower. This year... nada. In fact it's going UP. I'm flying out of Clearwater so there's less traffic I'm sure and less need for lower rates maybe?

Keep checking! We leave in 9 days, flying into Tampa, and my rental went down TWICE in the last 24 hours. I'm paying about $100 from Alamo for a full size for 6 days.:goodvibes I'm using the AA code. Also, make sure you're using hours less than a full 24 hr multiple (for me, it's 2:30 PM pickup and 11:30 AM dropoff) as that can make a BIG difference in price.

My Alamo reservation dropped this morning(another 20 bucks ish). I'm in a fullsize for 189.00 for 10 days. Insiders and BJS code. I still have a premium lurking about for 208.00 and will let my hubby decide tonight on which one to keep. If our kids were little we could get the 10 days in a compact for 150!

OMG, both Alamo and National just dropped the prices of minivans for my dates. I pick up on April 19th and both are offering a base rate for minivans at $140 a week before discounts, coupons, taxes and fees. I priced out 1 week and the subtotal was $91 (total $140). It had dropped a few minutes ago and the base was $160 and before I got done booking, it dropped to $140. I got a 3 week + 2 day minivan rental for $480 TOTAL. That is the best price ever for a guaranteed minivan. I checked Alamo and the same price. When you do a search the minivan is coming up the cheapest! So quick, check it out as it's changed several times in the last 15 minutes. I'm so relieved! I was going to have to rent a minivan for 12 nights then turn it in for a full size for 12 nights because the price for the minivan was too much. Now I'm under my goal of $500! Plus this ensures I keep my Executive status for 2013!

What codes are you guys using for National? I can't seem to get them anywhere near my Alamo rate. I'm $185 TOTAL from 4/24-5/5 thru Alamo.

OMG, both Alamo and National just dropped the prices of minivans for my dates. I pick up on April 19th and both are offering a base rate for minivans at $140 a week before discounts, coupons, taxes and fees.

I wish I could get this, but it's showing my base rate for ten days as $336. I guess maybe it's airport specific. Can you tell me what you put in for pick up and drop off times?

I wish I could get this, but it's showing my base rate for ten days as $336. I guess maybe it's airport specific. Can you tell me what you put in for pick up and drop off times?

I'm picking up and dropping off at MCO

April 19 @ 8:00PM
May 12 @ 5:00PM
(but I get the same base if I drop off earlier)

National
Using code 5007125
Coupon: ND8578ADT ($35)

or

Alamo
Using code 7015504
Coupon: AD2359FDF ($35)

What codes are you guys using for National? I can't seem to get them anywhere near my Alamo rate. I'm $185 TOTAL from 4/24-5/5 thru Alamo.

That is an excellent rate for 11 days. Alamo and National share the same cars, so, unless you are aiming for EC or EE status, I would keep what you have and keep on checking daily.

Picked up our car at Alamo yesterday. Thanks to all of you helpful people we got a full size/standard car for the week for $86 with taxes included. This was with the insiders booking and the Costco $35 coupon.

There we a lots of cars on the aisle - we chose a lovely blue Ford Fusion with leather, only 1000 miles on it. They also had Altimas, Maibus, Impalas, a Camry and a Corolla in the aisle.

Use the kiosk check in and it was super easy- totally recommend skipping the line!

OMG, both Alamo and National just dropped the prices of minivans for my dates. I pick up on April 19th and both are offering a base rate for minivans at $140 a week before discounts, coupons, taxes and fees. I priced out 1 week and the subtotal was $91 (total $140). It had dropped a few minutes ago and the base was $160 and before I got done booking, it dropped to $140. I got a 3 week + 2 day minivan rental for $480 TOTAL. That is the best price ever for a guaranteed minivan. I checked Alamo and the same price. When you do a search the minivan is coming up the cheapest! So quick, check it out as it's changed several times in the last 15 minutes. I'm so relieved! I was going to have to rent a minivan for 12 nights then turn it in for a full size for 12 nights because the price for the minivan was too much. Now I'm under my goal of $500! Plus this ensures I keep my Executive status for 2013!

Hope someone else got to take advantage of this before it ended. It's gone now. Though the minivan rates are still competitive with other companies, the low rate I snagged earlier this morning are no longer available at either of the companies. It did seem to be for pick up on Thursday 4/19 as I checked other dates and only my date seem to be getting this super lower rate. I'm guessing Thursdays are slow?? :confused3

I just rechecked my dates and they are still lower than they were! Yesterday I had dropped down about $50 and today a little more. I just rebooked a minivan for pick up at MCO 4/21 until 4/30 for $266.37 including taxes and fees! I don't think that is too bad for 9 days...certainly better than the $500+ I was getting a couple weeks ago! I just used the insider's discount and the entertainment book coupon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was able to change from a midsize at National for $233 to a minivan for $175 for 8 days.:cool1:

So glad to hear that a couple of us managed to get a minivan rental at a decent price.

Thanks for the heads up on the minivans, I just got one through National for our dates (April 21-28) for $210 including taxes. It beats the $260 I had with Dollar!

Thanks for the heads up on the minivans, I just got one through National for our dates (April 21-28) for $210 including taxes. It beats the $260 I had with Dollar!

That's great! It looks like they are having a clearance sale on all of their bigger vehicles....I'm guessing it's because of the higher gas prices right now. It works for me! We drive an Explorer here, so not shock for us.

Did you use a coupon? There is one for $35 (ND8578ADT) in case you need it!

My family couldn't understand why I got excited about getting a great minivan deal. Only my disboard family understands.

I was wondering about the gas prices too, but comfort and space are good things when on vacation!;)

I was wondering about the gas prices too, but comfort and space are good things when on vacation!;)

I am willing to bet our gas prices here in Orlando are less than yours in NY. So, along with comfort and space, lower gas prices are good things too.
Enjoy your vacation!!!

I am willing to bet our gas prices here in Orlando are less than yours in NY. So, along with comfort and space, lower gas prices are good things too.
Enjoy your vacation!!!

I agree!!! Your prices are ALWAYS lower than here at home. We live outside of Wash. DC and are always happy to see the gas prices in Orlando. Paying for gas for our rental is a "wash", because whether we are at home filling up our Ford Explorer (or Ford F350 pickup! ouch) or in WDW filling up our minivan it doesn't matter. We would be filling up a tank somewhere, and I would prefer in WDW.

I am always pleased filling up on vacation or over the border because Canadian gas prices are consistently so high. You get used to it and don't really think twice about it until you are pleasantly surprised after filling up away from home:)

We always cringe at gas prices... we live near a few stations here in NH that are always lower than the national average. The news often shows us as being in the lowest 4% for gas prices. Just about makes me sick at the pumps in FL.

A great price on a car makes up for the gas prices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter