The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

satman1962 said:
13.23 on my Garmin. This is my 3rd Wine and Dine race, I missed last year to do the Tower of Terror run, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I dont recall an issue with crossing the runners to get back to the party those first 2 years....

All in all a good run for me, I started out a little too fast and paid for it a bit with some tummy issues, with the cool breeze I found that it was easy to misjudge the effect the humidity would have on me.

Well now I'm back in the cold north weather to continue training for my first full marathon, looking forward to being back at Disney in January.

In 2011 the runners did not run through Epcot- the went behind Epcot at the international gateway and stayed behind it until the finish. To re enter the park for the party, they had runners walk in from the left side, sort of where u would get a leave a legacy tile picture. It was much better flow and easy to find your runners/spectators but no running in the Epcot park at all and anyone at the party didn't actually see them running. :( all in all I like the course as it is. I just think they need to figure out a good way to get people back in. Perhaps they have to have us runners come out of Epcot on the left instead of the right. (Facing the turnstiles).

My garmin was 13.6 and last year 13.5. I know I didn't run tangents in an effort to avoid some of the banked roadway areas. Plus I did stop in a bathroom and a few other times. But I was ahead by .02 miles at the first mile already with no stops, just probably from the tangent.

I was off .09 by MILE TWO, and there was only one corner between the start and that mile marker, a corner I hugged. And I was on the left side of that road all the way. Not acceptable, imo, especially for such an established race company.

taratru said:
I was off .09 by MILE TWO, and there was only one corner between the start and that mile marker, a corner I hugged. And I was on the left side of that road all the way. Not acceptable, imo, especially for such an established race company.

I would be more apt to believe the course than the GPS. .04mile discrepancy per mile is well within tolerances depending on satellite locations. Without a base station to calibrate with the satellite locations error is part of the deal

I know most out here ran the 1/2 marathon, but my son and I ran (well, walked/jogged) the 5K. We did it in 44:30. Not bad considering how bad a shape I am in and that we did it after a week of walking Disney parks. However, I noticed that several are discussing the length of the 1/2 Marathon so I thought I would add that my GPS had the 5K at 3.28 miles while my son came in at 3.27, both well over any error GPS would introduce!

I would be more apt to believe the course than the GPS. .04mile discrepancy per mile is well within tolerances depending on satellite locations. Without a base station to calibrate with the satellite locations error is part of the deal

I get that, but to be off that much that soon is very telling. And I've noticed that more often than not, my Garmin reads short. I realize that it's almost always the case and I'm not looking for a perfect 13.12, but an extra quarter mile can mean a lot in terms of time, ya know? I'd be curious to know how the full in January measures on average.

I know I'm coming off more annoyed than I actually am, it's just frustrating that race after race, the distance is off from the beginning. I promise I'm not a psycho. At least I won't be until I miss a BQ marathon by eleven seconds and find the course a quarter mile long. :)

Okay, so I am curious... What did everyone's Garmin's read? I overheard a man who said he did 13.8. My watch read 13.4 miles. Thought I did better on my corners/tangents, but I was off from the very first mile.
So I checked my history.
13.30 in 2011
13.35 in 2012
13.40 in 2013
Not a good trend! But at least my time has gotten faster each year. I don't have the mileage from 2010 because we did the relay. :-)

My GPS didn't work on this race but it has overestimated my distance on all but one race this year. My last half marathon 2 weeks ago registered 13.56 miles.

The only one it underestimated was an untimed 5k that came in at 2.87 (I tend to think that course was short). The closest was a 2 loop 10 miler at 10.02

My Runkeeper app has measured very accurately before this race so I'm tempted to believe it saying 13.56. I was right on track the first two miles and then started measuring a little bit longer at each mile marker. I took a lot of wide turns looking for more comfortable terrain for my ankle. Also, my pace measures up to covering the extra distance.

There is really no way to get the an exact distance of 13.1 in a half marathon. It is amazing how much distance can be added over the course of a race with the little movements of weaving around runners or not taking the shortest route. Unless you are moving your garmin or phone to the inside of each turn, then just that alone will add some distance. An example would be if you wear it on your left side and are turning right along a long turn. I don't think anyone is going to keep changing the location of the measuring device.

I get that, but to be off that much that soon is very telling. And I've noticed that more often than not, my Garmin reads short. I realize that it's almost always the case and I'm not looking for a perfect 13.12, but an extra quarter mile can mean a lot in terms of time, ya know? I'd be curious to know how the full in January measures on average.

I know I'm coming off more annoyed than I actually am, it's just frustrating that race after race, the distance is off from the beginning. I promise I'm not a psycho. At least I won't be until I miss a BQ marathon by eleven seconds and find the course a quarter mile long. :)

The full measures 26 miles, 385 yards at a minimum...

Every runner but the 50 or so at the front will run LONG. It is not the course. It is you, the runner who cannot possibly run the tangents of the course. It's not your fault, its the fact that you are sharing the road with several thousand of your friends and are not physically capable of hitting each and every tangent without shoving folks out of the way.

The bends before the first turn added with the two tangents in the second mile can easily cause your delta. If you were not start course right and hug the right until just before the first corner and turn that corner on course left, fade course right and then course left again by the end of mile one, you ran long. A tenth of a mile is not out of the question.

Disney races have an added curse and that is the run in the parks. If you were in the front and hit every tangent, your Garmin will still measure long. That is due to the nature of the unit. The receiver is only reading and fixing a point every 5-10 seconds. To smooth out the readings and to optimize the use of memory, the firmware attempts to predict where you will be at the fix. While running in a straight line, the unit is rather accurate. However, if you bend, the firmware will make the adjustments on the next fix, and continue making these adjustments until it gets back into its tolerance. The result is that you could have run the perfect tangent, both your recorded track will still have gone wide. To see this in practice, go run 20 laps on a high school track. The upload the data. Y will have a seriously funny looking set of lines through the turns as the unit attempts to figure out where you will be next. The parks in Disney are not too unlike a track, tight bands and lots of them will make parks like DAK and DHS go long.

I know you are not a pshyco. I find that the January courses are a lot better up to DAK due to the straighter roadways. From there, it starts to become mind blowing as you try to predict where you are within a mile marker. I used to run to the mile markers when I was running at my peak and around mile 17 or 18 it became a troubling mind game to have the Garmie say I am at a mile marker and then have to run for another quarter mile or so.

My garmin measured 13.31 for w&d this year. Disney races are ALWAYS long. No matter how much I try to stay center of the road and not weave too much. My local races are anywhere from 13.15 to 13.25. Definitely easier to PR those races.

For the WDW full this past year my garmin said around 26.85

Runkeeper told me I did nearly 13.9. I must have been weaving like a madman! :rotfl:

Hahahaha, and I thought I went long….

DH asked if I was drinking before the race ;)

HAHA!

I did see a few folks in the starting area who had obviously enjoyed the pre-race taste. :)

Fletch said:
HAHA!

I did see a few folks in the starting area who had obviously enjoyed the pre-race taste. :)

I think in the spirit of the "wine and dine" theme, we should all do "shots" of powerade (or water) together as party of the pre-race festivities.

Maybe not so Disney-esque, huh.... :)

I was so excited to finish the race that I didn't stop my garmin until I was in the car leaving the parking lot. Oops!

I did remember to stop mine, but I didn't turn it off. After I changed clothes and went over to the Odyssey bathrooms to meet up with others, I noticed that the hit the start button again and gained about an hour and 1/2 a mile.

Who is training for marathon weekend in January or Princess in February? Did my first Princess training run today after taking a full week off and felt great. Five miles at a decent pace with no ankle pain. Adapting to the altitude again after a week away went surprisingly smoothly. I usually struggle through my runs the first week back home.

capeseal said:
Who is training for marathon weekend in January or Princess in February? Did my first Princess training run today after taking a full week off and felt great. Five miles at a decent pace with no ankle pain. Adapting to the altitude again after a week away went surprisingly smoothly. I usually struggle through my runs the first week back home.

I am! I'm not doing wdw January but ill be at Tink in January and then princess in feb. can't wait!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter