The Official 2013 Fall Professional Internship Thread!

Wishes Count

DIS Veteran
Since I started one of these for the regular CP, I figured we would need one for Professional Internships! I saw on their website that PI applications are coming on Jan. 23rd! Introduce yourself and share any tips you may have!

I'm Kate and I am a senior at Penn State University graduating in May! I am majoring in Advertising with a Recreation, Park and Tourism Minor. I have completed 2 college programs. One in Hospitality and one in Merchandise. This is my first time applying for PIs. I am also apply to the CP as a back up for another chance to apply in case I don't get one.

As for which ones I'm interested in: GUEST RELATIONS IS MY DREAM!! :wizard:
I know it is very competitive but I fell in love with guest service when I worked front desk on my first program. I know I would be fantastic at this position and I hope that shows in my interview. I am not really familiar with other alumni only positions but I'm sure there will be others as well.

For non-alumni positions I am interested in advertising, graphic design, communications and PR. I will apply for any that I think I am qualified for and that are of interest to me.

Hey Kate! Any specific Guest Relations roles that you'd just love to do? What Locations?

For anyone interested in applying for the Summer 2013 Internships, a few were posted this morning that I was notified about:

Undergraduate/Graduate Intern, Technology & Operations, Summer 2013 (86091BR)

Internship- Summer 2013- International Production (81214BR)

Plus, the Undergraduate, Edit & Social Media Intern (87385BR)

I'll keep an eye out for any others as I typically know about them right away!

Have a Most Magical Day!

Hey Katie! Any specific Guest Relations roles that you'd just love to do? What Locations?!

Well, I think I'd enjoy everything but working at the lobby location inside any of the parks would probably be the most enjoyable. I could be completely wrong but I feel like that position is more about guest service recovery than say at the window where you might deal a lot more with tickets. And the chance to turn around someone's experience is why I am drawn to GR. Of course it would be awesome to do behind the scenes tours or VIP tours but I don't know if they let PIs do those! As for locations, it's so hard to pick! But EPCOT is my favorite park and I really liked working there before in Merch. Hopefully the Disney Gods will be good to me!

Hi! I'm also graduating in May and will be applying for Fall PIs! I'm a Mass Communications major currently, but also have a background in Hospitality Management (both educational and through work experience). I'm a CP alum, I participated in the Fall 2010 program as a FSFB CP.

I'm looking to apply for the Food & Beverage MI and whatever PIs are available in the communications field this time around.

Just saw this in a recent email:

Recruitment Dates
Disney College Program
The online application will be available in early February on disneycollegeprogram.com. Disney College Program Character Performer auditions will take place in March (specific dates, times, and locations are to be determined).

Disney Professional Internships
Summer-only Professional Internships are posted now on disneyinterns.com. Postings for Management Internships will appear late January. Fall Professional Internships, including internships only available to Disney College Program Alumni, will be posted in early February.

Disney Culinary Program
Culinary and Baking/Pastry students may now apply for this program on disneyculinaryprogram.com.

Disney International Programs
Please visit disneyinternationalprograms.com and contact the in-country agency to inquire about available opportunities.

So apparently Fall internships will open up in early February? Are do they tend to open them up a little early (like they're infamous for doing with CPs)?

Just saw this in a recent email:

So apparently Fall internships will open up in early February? Are do they tend to open them up a little early (like they're infamous for doing with CPs)?
For the basic Fall Internships, yes. Management is different. There is always the possibility that they get everything together ahead of time. Just keep up with the Disney Internships site, and watch the Application sets!

this digital marketing internship, is it summer or spring or what? You have to apply by the 21st but it also says the dates of the internship is Jan-June which doesn't make sense.
The Marketing Internships seem to work a bit different due to dates. I'd have to say a pretty immediate internships, given two weeks after the 21st is when they'll most likely decide if the internship isn't already open capacity.

Well, I think I'd enjoy everything but working at the lobby location inside any of the parks would probably be the most enjoyable. I could be completely wrong but I feel like that position is more about guest service recovery than say at the window where you might deal a lot more with tickets. And the chance to turn around someone's experience is why I am drawn to GR. Of course it would be awesome to do behind the scenes tours or VIP tours but I don't know if they let PIs do those! As for locations, it's so hard to pick! But EPCOT is my favorite park and I really liked working there before in Merch. Hopefully the Disney Gods will be good to me!
Excellent choice. I'd have have to say that's a better choice as Guest Service Recovery is typically people wanting an immediate response, which most actions aren't to desirable to deal with.

I'm hoping you find a perfect niche, as it's really a great choice. Someone's got to make a guest's trip! :) Interested to see where things take you!

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

I'm Ashley and just like the OP, I've done 2 CPs (actually currently doing my 2nd one). My first CP was in merch and my current CP is in Hospitality Front Desk.

I'm doing my current CP as a result of not getting a PI that I applied for last semester. I graduated in December, so applying this time around will be my last shot. I just moved to Florida (permanently, no CP housing) so I'll be all set for that. Worst cast scenario, I'll just go full time after my CP and work my way up over time.

I'm most interested in the retail management PI. Last semester I got all the way to the last round of interviews, which I was told was pretty special. The downside to that is that when I didn't get it, I was let down even more because I thought I actually had a shot.

So, I'll be applying for that again as well as a variety of DCP alumni only ones.

I'm Ashley and just like the OP, I've done 2 CPs (actually currently doing my 2nd one). My first CP was in merch and my current CP is in Hospitality Front Desk.

I'm doing my current CP as a result of not getting a PI that I applied for last semester. I graduated in December, so applying this time around will be my last shot. I just moved to Florida (permanently, no CP housing) so I'll be all set for that. Worst cast scenario, I'll just go full time after my CP and work my way up over time.

I'm most interested in the retail management PI. Last semester I got all the way to the last round of interviews, which I was told was pretty special. The downside to that is that when I didn't get it, I was let down even more because I thought I actually had a shot.

So, I'll be applying for that again as well as a variety of DCP alumni only ones.

Hi Ashley! I read your story on the Spring PI thread and was hoping you would be applying again and join us! How do you like your hospitality role? That is the line of business I want to ultimately be in. This is my first time applying for a PI, is there a different process for Regular PIs, Alumni Only PI's and MI's or are they all the same?

Hi Ashley! I read your story on the Spring PI thread and was hoping you would be applying again and join us! How do you like your hospitality role? That is the line of business I want to ultimately be in. This is my first time applying for a PI, is there a different process for Regular PIs, Alumni Only PI's and MI's or are they all the same?

As far as hospitality, so far I miss merchandise. I'm still only in training classes at Disney University, so I can't judge yet. However, LILO is already annoying me.

I don't know what the process is for the "regular" PIs. I've only ever applied for alumni ones and the retail MI.

From my experience, and what other people have said, every MI has 3 rounds of interviews. It's apparently a huge deal to get to the last round. The first round (in my experience) is just where you have your general phone interview for everything you applied for. In my case it was heavily focused on DCP Alumni ones and I only got asked 2 questions or so about the retail management one. Apparently my answers were good though. The second interview for management internships is called a "local" interview and is generally with about 2 area managers. My interview was with my old merch area leader and another one in the same park. The last interview is a panel interview where about 5 or 6 leaders interview you and take notes.

As far as hospitality, so far I miss merchandise. I'm still only in training classes at Disney University, so I can't judge yet. However, LILO is already annoying me.

I don't know what the process is for the "regular" PIs. I've only ever applied for alumni ones and the retail MI.

From my experience, and what other people have said, every MI has 3 rounds of interviews. It's apparently a huge deal to get to the last round. The first round (in my experience) is just where you have your general phone interview for everything you applied for. In my case it was heavily focused on DCP Alumni ones and I only got asked 2 questions or so about the retail management one. Apparently my answers were good though. The second interview for management internships is called a "local" interview and is generally with about 2 area managers. My interview was with my old merch area leader and another one in the same park. The last interview is a panel interview where about 5 or 6 leaders interview you and take notes.

I did Front Desk before LILO so I can't comment on that, but I think you will find it really rewarding. I would think the guest recovery aspect of it will give you an edge this time around! (At least that's what I'm hoping in my case!)

Where do you live offsite if you don't mind me asking? I am planning to permanently move to FL regardless of CP or PI or just full-time trying to work my way up. It's daunting trying to look at places online when you live 1600 miles away!

Fall PI's have been posted! :cool1:

I'm so excited! I've started looking at all of them and just clicking "Save to Cart" for ones that seem interesting. Later I'll go back and narrow them down and read them more carefully. I have like 10 right now plus all the alumni only I'm interested in!

I'm upset they all say 'approximate dates June- Jan' so I can't apply. I won't be done until the end of June :(

Just applied for a few PI's! I'm going back to do my second college program in a week! I can't wait!

I'm upset they all say 'approximate dates June- Jan' so I can't apply. I won't be done until the end of June :(

I would contact recruiting and ask them. I would think if you were the best candidate and were who they wanted they would wait for you until the end of June.

AliSW said:

Done what at the end of June? If you are in a CP they may be willing to release you to the PI.

I've just applied to my first Professional Internship and received an immediate email rejection? Could I have done something wrong in the application process or has this happened to other people that apply?

I'm not done with classes until June :/
I did email them asking about start dates though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter