The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the informative thread MomPoppins! I just booked the Swan for the end of August for my family - 6 nights on points and 2 nights cash+points. Total for 8 nights $120! :cool1:
We have never stayed at either Swan or Dolphin so I have a few questions...

How far is the parking lot from the Swan? I read in the UOG that it is distant, so wondered just how distant is distant? We were thinking of driving our car to MK and AK.

I have read somewhere that the Swan rooms have a stocked mini-bar refrigerator but you have to pay $20 or $25 to have it cleaned out for you to put your own stuff in there - is that still true?

Last but not least (a dork question ;)) - does the Swan/Dolphin get the Disney resort channels on TV?

Thank you so much for your replies.

In my opinion, the parking lots at the Swan or Dolphin are not too far from the front entrance. I think the Swan's is a little closer. At the Dolphin I think you have to walk past the Convention Center? Still, we always just self-park and then wheel/carry our luggage inside to check-in. It isn't that far, or I wouldn't want to do that!:laughing:

The Swan rooms have a fridge, if I remember correctly. The Dolphin rooms have only a stocked mini-bar. I have never called to have it cleaned out though.

Lucky you getting points & cash as an option for Swan/Dolphin. That has never come up as an option for me when checking the dates I need.

Tara, it must be a sign of the bad economic times, but I was SHOCKED that I was able to book 2 stays this year at the Swan with points+cash: late September (during Food & Wine Festival) and December (right before Christmas). :confused3 Like you, I've NEVER had my dates work out for points+cash in the past. I just wish that wasn't such a sad commentary for what's going on in this country (and the world). :sad1:

Tara, it must be a sign of the bad economic times, but I was SHOCKED that I was able to book 2 stays this year at the Swan with points+cash: late September (during Food & Wine Festival) and December (right before Christmas). :confused3 Like you, I've NEVER had my dates work out for points+cash in the past. I just wish that wasn't such a sad commentary for what's going on in this country (and the world). :sad1:

I agree that it might be the economic situation that is prompting them to open up more offers for discounted rooms. I only have enough points right now for 2 free nights - so cash plus points would really help me out for a cheap fall getaway. 2 and 3 years ago when planning my Dolphin stay it was booked to capacity both times - it took a lot of watching & checking to get what I wanted. Not the case anymore I guess.

I gues we better take advantage of it while we can!

What type of room can be expected with cash and points? I hope not the dumpster view? I may be considering this for a short stay, as well. Wondering if someone has used this in the past.

What type of room can be expected with cash and points? I hope not the dumpster view? I may be considering this for a short stay, as well. Wondering if someone has used this in the past.

I've never used cash & points but have used all points, or some nights free with points combined with paying for the rest of the nights. I'm pretty sure you're booked into the "standard" category anytime you use points or cash & points (unless you're using points for an upgrade). I've had the most horrendous dumspter view (hotel was full to capacity - no upgrade for Starwood members) - then last year got an upgrade to a gorgeous deluxe balcony room overlooking The Boardwalk & part of Epcot (mini picture of the view under my name to the left). You just never know, and unfortunately won't know until you get there!

We stayed at the Dolphin during the last week of March & loved it. Due to the number of our party,we opted for one of the suites instead of a standard room. Here are a few pictures:

fuyjgp.jpg

29n8f0l.jpg

333lvde.jpg

20paj5c.jpg

x3th0l.jpg

2aj4zlh.jpg

160sxlt.jpg

2s7voe9.jpg

28vqe4y.jpg

2mmh93c.jpg

2cgnh5l.jpg

2ih79c8.jpg

dmfp1v.jpg

2lt361w.jpg

n1t9oj.jpg

25zhwl4.jpg

1zd4zeg.jpg

x44qx5.jpg

We will be staying on 6/12..night before our cruise. Rec'd a GREAT deal! :) We have never stayed at the dolphin/swan...any tips, suggestions on what to do, where to eat? We probably won't be getting there until aroun 3:00.

TIA,
Paula

3xthejoy,
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures of the room. Looks like the extra room really came in handy for your family. Your kids are adorable. You are one lucky mommy:goodvibes

Thanks for starting a new thread, Mom Poppins!

3xthejoy - thanks for sharing your pictures of your suite at the Dolphin. Just so others know, I can tell by the decor that the suite hasn't been renovated yet.

Paula13 - there are a number of places to eat at the Swan/Dolphin, but I would probably go to ESPN Club on the Boardwalk or Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club for a casual lunch or dinner. I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin quite a few times, but I've never used the pools. I've heard the Grotto pool is great!

Say...does anyone know if any of the 'suites' or larger than standard size rooms at the Dolphin contain balconies? All of stays have been on the East side facing Epcot...that is what our preference is, just curious if there exist larger room types there? :)

Say...does anyone know if any of the 'suites' or larger than standard size rooms at the Dolphin contain balconies? All of stays have been on the East side facing Epcot...that is what our preference is, just curious if there exist larger room types there? :)

We stayed in what was called a Jr. Suite a few years ago and the 2 rooms that made it up did not have a balcony. We were in the west wing and faced the Swan and the Studios.

Paula13 - there are a number of places to eat at the Swan/Dolphin, but I would probably go to ESPN Club on the Boardwalk or Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club for a casual lunch or dinner. I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin quite a few times, but I've never used the pools. I've heard the Grotto pool is great!

Thanks for your help! :)

3xthejoy - Thanks for sharing those photos. The suite does look like it has a nice amount of space.

Your three little girls are absolutely adorable!

Oh Robin - thank you so much for getting this going again - we would have missed sharing so much information!!!
Now I am hoping that someone can answer my question - as the poster above said- I used 4000 starwood pts and $60. to get our first night at the Dolphin, it's in 2 weeks. My friends have never stayed there and I wondered if I could request a room in the front with a view? Not wanting a balcony or anything fancy, just a Swan view. Hoping one of you have the answer. Thanks. :thumbsup2

I'd think that booking a room on cash & points would be the same as booking on points, and I always request (and get :) )a view when I book on points. I think the S/D takes good care of their SPG peeps. :upsidedow

I just checked, and I can get cash & points for late September/early October. I wonder (but highly doubt) if I can combine that with the free room birthday offer ...

Can anyone let me know if... disney transportation is provided to go to down town disney. Does the hotel offer refillable mugs like at the other resorts. Do they have a shop/store?

TIA,
Paula

The Disney bus to DTD stops at the S/D. There are Disney shops in both the Swan and the Dolphin. I believe there are refillable mugs located at what I still call Tubbi's :-)rotfl:). Can't get used to the name changes.

3xthejoy,

When we stayed at the Dolphin Christmas 2005, we had this exact room. It looked out over the rotunda below....no views, but we didn't mind. We had soooo much room, it was great! Do you remember what classification of suite this room was? We were upgraded to this room from a standard room as Starwood members. What was your room number? I'd love to be able to request this room for our 2009 Christmas stay.

Thanks....and how cute are your girls!!!!!!

Elaine

Hi MT - fancy meeting you over here!!! lol
The Disney shop in the Dolphin is called Daisy's Garden - they have a fairly good selection of clothing, souvenirs, etc...
Thanks Madge for the response. Next week I will find out if my pts/cash combo was able to upgrade us. For those of you who have emailed them requests ahead of time- have they ever responded to your requests?
3xthejoy- your daughters are adorable!!!

This may be a silly question, but can you do the free meal option or this not one of the "Disney" resorts they were talking about?

The Disney bus to DTD stops at the S/D. There are Disney shops in both the Swan and the Dolphin. I believe there are refillable mugs located at what I still call Tubbi's :-)rotfl:). Can't get used to the name changes.

Thanks so much for the info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter