The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who knows for certain will answer but it's kind of an odd arrangement in that Swan/Dolphin guests don't pay to park at Disney parks, can have purchases in the parks sent back to their resort, and can utilize EMH the same as Disney resort guests, but they cannot charge purchases to their room cards.

Just checked the S/D website and they have all the Easter activities listed for this Easter 2010. Go to the S/D link above and the About Us/What's New and half way down the page is Easter. They have a link that lists all the activities (egg hunts, Easter Bunny meet and greet, campfire/smores, DJ by the pool) for the weekend. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

lissiesmum - We are booked for this Easter with the teachers rate at the Dolphin. I think the regular rooms were at $179 - we booked a premium studio suite for $259 with 2 dbl beds. Because Easter's in early April, I don't think as many people are going that weekend and are waiting til later in the month when the school's are out for April vacations. Disney's hotels are now offering their discounted rates including Easter weekend and there is plenty of availability in all Values, Mods and Deluxe levels.

Next year though, who knows. It'll be April Vacation for many schools that week with Easter on April 24. Could be crazy. :yay:

Just checked the S/D website and they have all the Easter activities listed for this Easter 2010. Go to the S/D link above and the About Us/What's New and half way down the page is Easter. They have a link that lists all the activities (egg hunts, Easter Bunny meet and greet, campfire/smores, DJ by the pool) for the weekend. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Thanks, Poly-anna! Good news on the teacher discount, and looks like a bunch of great activities for Easter! We will not spend much time in the parks as none of us are big crowds people, so we'll probably spend a few hours in the am riding a few rides, then head back to the hotel to swim, relax, and enjoy all the resort has to offer. We're down to either the Dolphin or the Contemporary. They are both convention resorts so I'm hoping that people will be busy doing "convention things", leaving room at the pool area for us! :thumbsup2 I will look forward to hearing any experiences about Easter this year! I'm trying to think positive...not an ideal situation, as we've never been to WDW when it's busy and we're used to riding whatever we want (two weeks ago we rode BTMR 10 times in a row and could have kept going!). But like many people say, it's still better to be at WDW then anywhere else!

I was wondering about the fridges...are they the same size as the ones you'd find in the deluxe resorts on property?

Also, is there some kind of refillable mug, and if so, how much is it and where is it offered?

I was also wondering what kinds of non-park activities there are at the S/D and the surrounding resorts? What kinds of things do you like to do at your leisure, either day or night? If we're there at the busiest time of year, I'm looking to find some fun things to do when not at the parks :)

Also wondering about the grotto pool...I haven't seen a zero entry pic anywhere, so I"m assuming there isn't one? How shallow is the most shallow part of the pool? Do they offer lifejackets, and if so, is there a cost? Can you go down the waterslide with your child? (I know they don't allow this on property, and was hoping it wan't the same here!)

If you have an Epcot fireworks view room, is it really worth it? I have never seen Illuminations before, and I watched it on youtube last night and there seems to be a long lull where there are no fireworks at all...do you get to see a lot from your room, or just a few random fireworks?

I'm pretty sure about staying at the Dolphin now, just want to find out all I can before I make my decision :) Thanks in advance for all your help :) This thread is great!:thumbsup2

Not sure I can answer all your questions -but I'll try!

The fridges are regular resort-sized - same as WDW deluxes. Actually I thought they were bigger but I'm sure they're just the standard ones you'd see in any hotel on or off property.

Yes there is a refillable mug just for S/D. It's really nice - looks like an insultaed coffee travel mug- the one I saw at Picabu 2 weeks ago anyway. There may be other styles that I didn't see. I wish I would have gotten one but literally had no room to pack it to take home! I don't know the price, sorry.

That area is GREAT for non-resort activity. There is Fantasia Gardens mini golf within walking distance (across from The Swan), and The Boardwalk itself offers a lot to do - shopping, eating, watching the street performers, renting bikes, etc. You can also walk to YC & BC for alternative dining. The Dolphin has an arcade if your kids are into that (and it's aside of the laundry room if you need to get a quick load in while they're playing!) The candy store in The Dolphin is an activity in itself, my kids can spend half an hour in there.

I don't think the Grotto Pool has zero entry, someone correct me if I'm wrong. When we were there 2 weeks ago it was chilly & there was no lifeguard, the sign at the waterslide said to use at your own risk. So you could have gone down with your child, but I'm not sure what the actual rule is if there is a lifeguard there watching. There is a pool shack with all kinds of equipment - didn't specifically see life jackets, but I wasn't looking for them.

As far as Illuminations - this is my favorite fireworks show ever. It makes me cry every time! That being said, however, you have to be right there inside Epcot to fully see it. It's a show - including fireworks, that tells the story of humanity. You are correct, there are no high fireworks for a few minutes during Illuminations - at this point there is a barge that has a globe in the middle of the lagoon, that can only be seen from inside the park. This is the story-telling part of the show. Honestly I don't even care to watch Illumination if I can't see the whole thing or hear the music, that is what makes the show so moving. But yes, you can see the highest fireworks from an Epcot Fireworks View Room - here is a shot from 2 weeks ago from that category room:

IMG_5181.jpg

Would I pay for that category room? Honestly, no. You can see the same view of Illuminations from The Boardwalk area. If you have park hoppers it's well worth it just to walk (or boat) over to Epcot to watch Illuminations from inside the park. I did this twice on our last trip - ran over for 45 min. & headed back. But if that's important to you, then go for it!

Wow, thanks TaraPA! That helps a lot. I like the idea of getting a parkhopper and heading over nightly for the show :) Plus, we could head over just to get a snack somewhere in the World Showcase, or just walk around there (although we'll be there Easter week next year, so I'm wondering if you can still just wander around Epcot when you feel like it?). I do like a really nice view though as we do spend time in our room...what would be the next best thing to request if we wanted a balcony? I guess we don't need fireworks view, but I like to see things from my room both day and night. I am really excited about this trip now, trying to see the positives and focus not on the crowds and how crazy it will be, but how much fun we'll have around the resort instead (and hopefully the pool will be warm the end of April?). Also didn't know about the mini-golf...:banana:

Here are some different views I've had:

Epcot Fireworks View:
looking straight off the balcony
IMG_5131.jpg

zoomed in
IMG_5133.jpg

looking to the right
IMG_5132.jpg

This is just the Resort View category (you cannot see Epcot):

IMG_5353.jpg

this is another room view from that same category - my favorite view that we've had at The Dolphin:

looking straight off the balcony
IMG_3499.jpg

looking slightly right
IMG_3498.jpg

looking right
IMG_3496.jpg

and then there's the infamous dumpster view - this was a standard room:
IMG_2170.jpg

WOO HOO JILL!!!!

The Dolphin provides Shine by Bliss toiletry items. Supposedly these are high-end - or moreso than the Bath & Body Works Lime Verbena they used to provide - but I do not like them AT ALL! LOVED the B&BW. I take my own when staying at S/D.

Yeah Dan, I finally win something - worst room view ever in WDW. I guess I should be happy to say I won something! The last 2 free upgrades I got there surely made up for it though!

Good question...I looked on my shampoo bottles from 2 yrs ago and it said "made especially for the Swan/Dolphin." They do, however, have the most incredible oatmeal soap!! (and glycerin soap too)
Any updates from those who have been recently? Can't wait til we get back there for 5 nights in May.
BTW - great choice you made, enjoy!!!!

congrats Ello Poppet for booking! What a great feeling! I just got back from our last trip three weeks ago today and I'm already looking forward to our next trip! I really love this thread and the people here and I think the Dolphin is going to be a good choice. I'm usually a flip-flopper, but now that I've been to the World 3 times, I know more what I'm looking for and the S/D has so many great options!

Thanks TaraPA for the different photos...I do have to agree, that is the WORST room view ever! At least your last couple of views have made up for it! I have to say, even though the fireworks are more appealing from in the park, I really love that Epcot view and would definitely enjoy sitting on the balcony with that in front of me :) I like seeing the Spaceship Earth ball and the Eiffel Tower from France...it looks pretty all lit up at night. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

I am now moving on to food....what are the must eat places at the S/D, and is it mandatory to have ressies ahead of time? What are the characters at the Garden Grove, and are the characters there all day, or just at breakfast?

...They do, however, have the most incredible oatmeal soap!! (and glycerin soap too)
Any updates from those who have been recently?.....

:wave2: Caroline.

Aren't you there in April? Hoping to see you for a bit.

We did not have any oatmeal soap 2 weeks ago - I also loved that!
The oatmeal has been gone for several years now. I liked that, always brought a cache home so I felt like I was still there at the Swan, at least for the 10 minutes in the morning while showering, LOL.

Congratulations, Ello Poppet. :woohoo:

.........I am now moving on to food....what are the must eat places at the S/D, and is it mandatory to have ressies ahead of time? What are the characters at the Garden Grove, and are the characters there all day, or just at breakfast?

http://www.swandolphinrestaurants.com/gardengrove/index.html

The young at heart will also enjoy Disney character dining at dinner nightly and for breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays.
I think it is Pluto and Goofy.

I have never had a reservation for any S/D restaurant, but then again, I am solo and that may make a difference. I have never been in Garden Grove when it was crowded, nor Picabu nor the Fountain. Fresh is the only restaurant that I have been in where it was at all crowded. I would think a reservation would be a good idea at the signatures.

Hi Dan- I am there in April with 24 students, so that is not a S/D stay - more like ASMovies. I do get to go back with some of my daughters and their families in late May, and that is at the Dolphin. Dan - hope to connect, if only a phone call when we're both there in April!! The last thing you'd want to do is be invaded by 24 middle school kids (well, they are really nice kids, but....)

PS - i still have 2 bars of oatmeal soap left - love it too.

it sure is a great feeling I still have to cancel my ressie at port orleans. But i'm getting so excited! Will they provide soap? and If I use the shampoo do they provide ample supply. I must say to all of you that this is on of the most friendliest boards on here. I do also love beach and yacht club boards but everyone here is so very friendly and kind and that is what it should all be about helping not fighting. Thanks to all. anyone have any room photos? Alos instead of getting the cot may I bring a air mattress?

I am now moving on to food....what are the must eat places at the S/D, and is it mandatory to have ressies ahead of time? What are the characters at the Garden Grove, and are the characters there all day, or just at breakfast?

My favorite restaurant in all of Disney is the Blue Zoo at the Dolphin. I made ressies in advance, but they usually have plenty of room, at least when I have been there. Can't help you with the character breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter