The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't your sister-in-law have this information? Maybe she can call to find out if additional dates wil be opening up.

She has tried...
But all we could find is you can book a trip at the standard rate up to 550 days in advance... That's $249 a night!
However when we check hot rates a week ago there was nothing is sept.
But when I checked yesterday sept had three weeks open.. :confused3
Like I said tho.. We are able to get the week before Xmas right now as well...

So we have no clue what's going on...

You have to go to this website for starhot
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prom...l?section=promotion&layout=1&category=STARHOT
Just put in Orlando and no dates and browse for the starhot rate. It's an employee perk and is not available at all times. It's also hugely popular so if you see any of the dates you want don't even think about it reserve them. The hotel add and subtracts dates offered at the starhot rate so if you're lucky you will eventually be able to piece together all the days you want between now and then. If you can't get starhot some nights try starfriend
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prom...ction=promotion&layout=1&category=STARFRIENDS
Its not as good as starhot though. Once you have your reservations made and you're ready to go you will need to get an introduction letter from your SIL for every confirmation number you have. You will not get the rate without that letter so once you have it don't lose it. Depending on her position she may have to go to her HR department at work and have the letter done so if you lose them it will be a huge pain.
Depending on the time of year you go Swan and Dolphin sometimes give you a 50% off food and beverage card too. You still have to pay resort fees on top of the nightly rate just like everyone else. There is no set date when these rates are release as it's done as needed so basically if they noticed they aren't filling up as much as they like they might offer starhot or starfriend.

HI,

Question..when you book at Disney resort, they ask if you are celebrating something...like bday or anniversary..does Swan ask this too? I don't remember doing this when I reserved my room. We are celebrating DS earning his Eagle Scout rank when we go in June and I was wondering. If so, what extra magic do they have? TIA :goodvibes

Previously, I had stayed at Disney resorts and a HUGE selling point for me was the fact that Disney reported that they cleaned the bedspreads between every family's stay. Is that true at the Swan? I get quite skeeved by the thought that the comforters were put back on the beds from the previous guest. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

In another Swan/Dolphin thread on the Dis, the OP said that there is no free parking at the parks for Swan/Dolphin guests. Not free parking at the hotels themselves, but parking at the parks. I'm pretty sure that I read Swan/Dolphin guests get free parking at the parks. Does anyone know if this is new?

HI,

Question..when you book at Disney resort, they ask if you are celebrating something...like bday or anniversary..does Swan ask this too? I don't remember doing this when I reserved my room. We are celebrating DS earning his Eagle Scout rank when we go in June and I was wondering. If so, what extra magic do they have? TIA :goodvibes
They don't ask, but you can certainly volunteer the information. If you book on-line, there is a box where you can note special requests. If booking via phone, just mention it to the rep.

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but they've been pretty wonderful in acknowledging our special events. When I celebrated my 50th birthday there a couple of years ago, I received a bouquet of balloons, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate-dipped fruit and a birthday card from the manager. For our 20th anniversary, we received a tray of chocolate-dipped strawberries.

PS - and a nice email to S/D Guest Services a week or so before you arrive isn't a bad idea, either.

Previously, I had stayed at Disney resorts and a HUGE selling point for me was the fact that Disney reported that they cleaned the bedspreads between every family's stay. Is that true at the Swan? I get quite skeeved by the thought that the comforters were put back on the beds from the previous guest. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would email/call the hotel directly for a definitive answer. I'm sure the head of the housekeeping dept could answer that question for you.

You have to go to this website for starhot
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prom...l?section=promotion&layout=1&category=STARHOT
Just put in Orlando and no dates and browse for the starhot rate. It's an employee perk and is not available at all times. It's also hugely popular so if you see any of the dates you want don't even think about it reserve them. The hotel add and subtracts dates offered at the starhot rate so if you're lucky you will eventually be able to piece together all the days you want between now and then. If you can't get starhot some nights try starfriend
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prom...ction=promotion&layout=1&category=STARFRIENDS
Its not as good as starhot though. Once you have your reservations made and you're ready to go you will need to get an introduction letter from your SIL for every confirmation number you have. You will not get the rate without that letter so once you have it don't lose it. Depending on her position she may have to go to her HR department at work and have the letter done so if you lose them it will be a huge pain.
Depending on the time of year you go Swan and Dolphin sometimes give you a 50% off food and beverage card too. You still have to pay resort fees on top of the nightly rate just like everyone else. There is no set date when these rates are release as it's done as needed so basically if they noticed they aren't filling up as much as they like they might offer starhot or starfriend.

Thank you soooo much...
So what I'm getting is if I see ANY of my date open up book them!
So I could end up with 4 or 5 different conformation numbers, and just have to a letter for each one..
What happen if I only get half my dates? And/or change my mind about going?
When we use the discount other places before we can always cancel the ressie until the week before with no charge..

Would this be different?

Thank you again for getting back to me..

Thank you soooo much...
So what I'm getting is if I see ANY of my date open up book them!
So I could end up with 4 or 5 different conformation numbers, and just have to a letter for each one..
What happen if I only get half my dates? And/or change my mind about going?
When we use the discount other places before we can always cancel the ressie until the week before with no charge..

Would this be different?

Thank you again for getting back to me..

Yes, if you only get some of the dates you want then you have to fill in the missing nights with a different rate. Starfriend is the next best choice but if that's not available either maybe AAA or the best rate you can qualify for. You can still cancel if it doesn't work out. I think it's 3 days prior.

They don't ask, but you can certainly volunteer the information. If you book on-line, there is a box where you can note special requests. If booking via phone, just mention it to the rep.

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but they've been pretty wonderful in acknowledging our special events. When I celebrated my 50th birthday there a couple of years ago, I received a bouquet of balloons, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate-dipped fruit and a birthday card from the manager. For our 20th anniversary, we received a tray of chocolate-dipped strawberries.

PS - and a nice email to S/D Guest Services a week or so before you arrive isn't a bad idea, either.

Thank you for your reply!:goodvibes

Hi all! I have just booked the Dolphin for May! Great rate, so excited, fairly last minute. I am looking for info/feedback on the pools. DS5 is a huge pool kid and loves slides etc. How do the pools here compare to the other Disney resorts? I cannot get any good photos or info and am really concerned he will not be entertained enough. We are planning a day at Blizzard Beach in any case. He is a daredevil and does not like kiddy pools and kiddy slides. Bring on the big stuff! Thanks.

Hi all! I have just booked the Dolphin for May! Great rate, so excited, fairly last minute. I am looking for info/feedback on the pools. DS5 is a huge pool kid and loves slides etc. How do the pools here compare to the other Disney resorts? I cannot get any good photos or info and am really concerned he will not be entertained enough. We are planning a day at Blizzard Beach in any case. He is a daredevil and does not like kiddy pools and kiddy slides. Bring on the big stuff! Thanks.
Think along the lines of Stormalong Bay at Y&BC.

My kids perfer The Grotto Pool at S/D over any Disney Resort pool (with the exception of maybe SAB which they just discovered last month). I'll try & get some pics up for you tonight!

Grotto Pool pics:

005.jpg

013.jpg

003.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

Its per night. You have to wait until 5 days before check in and call SPG. Its called a paid night upgrade.

Rooms are 10K at the Swan and Dolphin

Suites are booked at 20K points per night.

It would take 10K extra per night to confirm a suite upgrade at the Swan. I confirmed this earlier this evening with my Platinum Concierge at Starwood Preferred Guest Line.

Have any of you SPG members gotten the "Instant Awards" at the Dolphin? The program says it varies by hotel...just wondering what it might be and how many points I'd need....
TIA

Grotto pool is #1 in my kids wishes.
They started using the pool when they were 7 & 10 - now at 17 & 20, the Grotto pool is still #1

All ages enjoy the Grotto pool - plus the 2 lap pools, kiddie pool, hot tub, water slide, volleyball area (in the water) , lots of seats in the sun and shade....I could go on forever.

SAB at the YC/BC is still #1 - but we can not stay there, too much $$$$'s - so Grotto is #1 ! :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

My kids (6.5 & 3.5 years) loved the playground area by the grotto pool. We barely made it into the pool one day since they were playing in the sand and on the playground the whole time. I did wish the grotto pool had a zero depth area. For little guys, the sides of the pool are pretty high compared to the water level and having a child who likes hanging out on the edge and filling up his dump truck with water, it made me a little uneasy. Overall we did really like the grotto pool, it has a very relaxing atmosphere.

We are looking at staying at either the Swan or Dolphin next year. How far out can you book your hotel stay? I know with Disney Resort hotels you can book pretty far out?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter