The "new" Miley Cyrus

I do not understand why these Disney kids rebel so bad.

I don't either. It is like they feel they need to do this to prove they are grown up and mature, and "not a kid anymore." Yet, there are tons of examples of people who have escalated from child career to adult career without acting out.

One example to me, is Emma Watson.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her hair. It takes balls to pull something like that off and I envy the women (Amber Rose comes to mind) who can rock a short hairstyle!

I will agree it takes balls.

I disagree, in that I despise her hair. It just screams "trashy" to me. I am not against short hair. Some women do short hair and it is lovely: the aforementioned Miss Watson, Anne Hathaway, Rihanna.

Miley's is an unnatural platinum blonde, you can see the roots, it's all spiky and just...blech.

It sends the wrong message, but on the other hand holding up any celebrity as a role model for young girls is a dangerous thing.

I see what you are saying, but I disagree. I think it is very important for young girls to have role models. And, much as we wish it were so, their role models aren't going to be scientists or doctors or their mother...

I don't think it is wrong for celebrities to be role models. But, as you said, it is dangerous, because you never know which ones are going to work out and which ones are going to go nuts.

My DD13 watched it and was like MOM there is nothing wrong with her video.

So I think young ppl are looking at it differently than older ppl are looking at it.

This is what scares me more than anything...that young people see nothing wrong with that type of behavior (or the lyrics of the song alluding to drinking and doing drugs)

Seriously? :lmao: I did not get the "We shall not **** shame" alert from PC Weekly. Oops.

I just think it shows a lack of character and that it sends the wrong message.

****-shaming does many things: dehumanizes the person, contributes to the false justification found in rape culture, is detrimental to the feminist movement, sends the message to girls that sex is bad, encourages sexism and objectifies women.

It's absurd and uncalled for.

****-shaming does many things: dehumanizes the person, contributes to the false justification found in rape culture, is detrimental to the feminist movement, sends the message to girls that sex is bad, encourages sexism and objectifies women.

So now, among the other things we are not supposed to judge because ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is okay, the PC law against **** shaming (which I believe to be a poor name for it, as many non-****ty females are lumped in with actual ****ty ones) says we shall make no value judgment against a woman even if she dresses in an unbelievably trashy way, glamorizes drug use, has sex with dozens of men she barely knows, etc. All that is okay and not to be judged, but saying, "Dang, that's ****ty!" is NOT okay and is unacceptable?????

Wow, that's twisted. Sorry, I refuse to play by those rules. I don't want my DD acting or dressing ****ty. By the newest PC rule, that makes me a bad mother. Oh well, I can live with that.

As does Miley's video. It does nothing to empower women or girls. It is poorly produced, raunchy and does all the things that you accuse of ***-shaming (except the part where sex is bad, LOL :lmao:).

So now, among the other things we are not supposed to judge because ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is okay, the PC law against **** shaming (which I believe to be a poor name for it, as many non-****ty females are lumped in with actual ****ty ones) says we shall make no value judgment against a woman even if she dresses in an unbelievably trashy way, glamorizes drug use, has sex with dozens of men she barely knows, etc. All that is okay and not to be judged, but saying, "Dang, that's ****ty!" is NOT okay and is unacceptable?????

Wow, that's twisted. Sorry, I refuse to play by those rules. I don't want my DD acting or dressing ****ty. By the newest PC rule, that makes me a bad mother. Oh well, I can live with that.

It has nothing to do with being politically correct. It has everything to do with being a decent person who realizes that words have quite the affect on people.

Calling Miley Cyrus a **** because of this music video, or because of what tabloids say, is pretty mindboggling to me. By calling her such a name, you're finding a way to belittle and insult a woman for assumptions you've made up in your head. By doing this, I feel you're telling your daughter it's OK to do it, and by doing that you're subjecting her to destructive gender-based double standards. It's an attempt to police female sexuality simply because you don't agree with it. It's also your attempt to appear more virtuous by comparison.

But, how you raise your daughter is up to you. And as a consenting adult, how Cyrus chooses to live her life (or portrays how she lives her life in a music video) is up to her.

If you can't see the inherent issues with ****-shaming and how it further brings down women, then I don't know of much more we can discuss.

As does Miley's video. It does nothing to empower women or girls. It is poorly produced, raunchy and does all the things that you accuse of ***-shaming (except the part where sex is bad, LOL :lmao:).

I think the production is pretty solid, honestly. But if your concern is how she acts in her music video, because it's adult-themed, then don't let your children watch it. It's not for children anyway, clearly.

How an adult lives his or her sexual life is up to them. Just because I wouldn't personally twerk while being filmed doesn't mean anyone who does is a bad person.

It has nothing to do with being politically correct. It has everything to do with being a decent person who realizes that words have quite the affect on people.

Calling Miley Cyrus a **** because of this music video, or because of what tabloids say, is pretty mindboggling to me. By calling her such a name, you're finding a way to belittle and insult a woman for assumptions you've made up in your head. By doing this, I feel you're telling your daughter it's OK to do it, and by doing that you're subjecting her to destructive gender-based double standards. It's an attempt to police female sexuality simply because you don't agree with it. It's also your attempt to appear more virtuous by comparison.

But, how you raise your daughter is up to you. And as a consenting adult, how Cyrus chooses to live her life (or portrays how she lives her life in a music video) is up to her.

If you can't see the inherent issues with ****-shaming and how it further brings down women, then I don't know of much more we can discuss.

There really is not much to discuss. I'd say you are buying the new party line without looking deeper. There's a lot you fail to see and do not seem to grasp. For the record, I called her a hot mess and not a ****. She is on a trajectory that we have seen countless times, yet she thinks she is blazing some new trail. That isn't smart and the outcome is fairly predictable.

I do not confuse female sexuality with ****tiness. They are not synonymous. Yes, Miley Cyrus can live any way she wants, but she's largely doing it for effect. And if people form a value judgment, that is what she has invited.

I've taken my fair share of Women's Studies classes, (which is what the whole **** shaming yada yada sounds as if it came straight from) but I made my own decisions regarding whether or not something was good or bad or in between. Rather than blindly accept "this is what X means," I decide what it means. You can tell me all day long what you think **** shaming is and what it means and the effect it has. That does not mean I will agree with you.

You can erase the word "****," but the reality will still exist. And I'd still never want my DD to be one, no matter what the name attached. Imagine that. You raise yours any way you want, teach them that anything goes and good luck to you.

I think the production is pretty solid, honestly. But if your concern is how she acts in her music video, because it's adult-themed, then don't let your children watch it. It's not for children anyway, clearly.

How an adult lives his or her sexual life is up to them. Just because I wouldn't personally twerk while being filmed doesn't mean anyone who does is a bad person.
I never said she was a bad person :confused3. I simply said that I didn't like the video and that it made me sad to see flashes of the signature Miley grin amid all the bumping and grinding. Frankly, I think she is trying too hard to shed her "good girl" image and I'm not sure if she has the talent to play with the big dogs in the music industry. She and her father are probably wealthy enough to allow her the opportunity to try for it instead of choosing a less drastic change in appearance/music/etc which would probably have resulted in an easier transition from "Hannah Montana" to an adult Miley. I'm sure that part of it is my preconceived notion of who Miley Cyrus is, but her new look seems to fit her like a bad suit (even though I like her hair). She seems like a little girl trying to play the risqué party animal.

There really is not much to discuss. I'd say you are buying the new party line without looking deeper. There's a lot you fail to see and do not seem to grasp. For the record, I called her a hot mess and not a ****. She is on a trajectory that we have seen countless times, yet she thinks she is blazing some new trail. That isn't smart and the outcome is fairly predictable.

I do not confuse female sexuality with ****tiness. They are not synonymous. Yes, Miley Cyrus can live any way she wants, but she's largely doing it for effect. And if people form a value judgment, that is what she has invited.

I've taken my fair share of Women's Studies classes, (which is what the whole **** shaming yada yada sounds as if it came straight from) but I made my own decisions regarding whether or not something was good or bad or in between. Rather than blindly accept "this is what X means," I decide what it means. You can tell me all day long what you think **** shaming is and what it means and the effect it has. That does not mean I will agree with you.

You can erase the word "****," but the reality will still exist. And I'd still never want my DD to be one, no matter what the name attached. Imagine that. You raise yours any way you want, teach them that anything goes and good luck to you.

What do I fail to see and grasp? That Miley Cyrus is on some predictable course because of how celebrities before her have come out of situations? I don't pay much attention to the lives celebrities live, so I am ignorant about that.

The thing is, though, is that ****-shaming is real, it has a pretty good definition attached to it, and it has real effects on girls and women, both directly and indirectly. You don't have to agree, because I'm not asking you to. I'm merely stating my opinion as you have.

I hope your daughter grows up to be an emotionally, mentally and physically healthy adult who contributes her best to her community and family, and any profession she chooses. What she does behind closed doors, or with friends, or with men/women she meets as an adult is up to her and doesn't affect you or me one bit. That's not teaching your daughter "anything goes," it's teaching her that no one should be able to define what she can and cannot do with her own body.

This has been a good discussion. I appreciate it, EMom.

I never said she was a bad person :confused3. I simply said that I didn't like the video and that it made me sad to see flashes of the signature Miley grin amid all the bumping and grinding. Frankly, I think she is trying too hard to shed her "good girl" image and I'm not sure if she has the talent to play with the big dogs in the music industry. She and her father are probably wealthy enough to allow her the opportunity to try for it instead of choosing a less drastic change in appearance/music/etc which would probably have resulted in an easier transition from "Hannah Montana" to an adult Miley. I'm sure that part of it is my preconceived notion of who Miley Cyrus is, but her new look seems to fit her like a bad suit (even though I like her hair). She seems like a little girl trying to play the risqué party animal.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you called her a bad person. I was speaking in generalities when I said that.

The thing is, though, is that ****-shaming is real, it has a pretty good definition attached to it, and it has real effects on girls and women, both directly and indirectly. You don't have to agree, because I'm not asking you to. I'm merely stating my opinion as you have.

To me, the whole **** shaming stance puts all the burden on the people who think/say someone is ****ty. Well, sometimes people who use the term are quite off the mark, such as blaming a rape victim for dressing too skimpily. I don't care if you walk buck nekkid into a room of men, you never deserve to be raped. But other times, the shoe fits and while the term may be impolite, it can be quite accurate. The stance behind "**** shaming" seems to indicate that no behavior is ****ty. That there is no such thing as ****ty. But there is. You can call it something else, but it still is not good.

My problem with the "no **** shaming" movement is that they seem to fail to acknowledge that actions have consequences for both sides. They only want one side to look inward and stop using certain terms. They do not appear to believe that ANYTHING is actually ****ty and that maybe a woman ought to ask herself what the long tem impact to her emotional wellbeing and life will be if she makes certain decisions.

In some cases, people have expanded the word to mean what it never did and that is part of the problem. That muddies the waters.

ETA: This is coming from someone who isn't a Miley fan, never watched Hannah Montana and this is the first song that I've heard her sing.

Well, I love her hair. It just works on her. I think she's a beautiful girl.

I really like the song. It's definitely a "party" song so I'm not surprised at the drug references. It's not like she's the first singer to do this either. She can't always be that 12 year old girl selling herself to 7 year old Disney watchers.

I have to say, I like the video too. Yes, it's risque but it just fits with her song. It doesn't bother me and it seems that it's conveying the message that she's at that age when you just want to party with your friends. If a child is too young to be "influenced" by watching the video, they shouldn't be watching a channel like MTV to begin with, imo.

I honestly don't see her as a Britney Spears or a Lindsey Lohan. I watched an interview that she had right before they released the song on the radio. She was actually filling in for Ryan Seacrest. She seems to be a very smart girl and definitely has a path carved out for herself in the music industry and seems very eager to follow it and succeed. It doesn't seem to me that she has a drug problem but you never really know if someone does or doesn't so I won't accuse her of that until it's proven.

All in all, she seems like a young woman who is trying to find herself and enjoying life. She definitely seems like a party girl but you can be a party girl without tipping over and crossing the line in to some dark territory. Hopefully Miley will be one of the lucky ones who don't.

This is how I feel about it too, I've seen a lot of print on her lately...most recently in Glamour magazine. To compare her to Brittany or Lindsey Lohan I think is doing her a dis-service. She comes off in her interviews as a smart, though somewhat immature, savvy young woman that's trying to find her niche in her music. May not be what I'D listen to or watch, but it's her business (literally and figuratively) not mine.

Meh, not my cup of tea, but there are thousands of videos way worse than this. I don't see why this one is being singled out? Is it just because she was on the Disney Channel?

I personally don't care if she's pure as the driven snow. I still think the video is poorly done, and it makes her look like a fool.

IMO, it does nothing to further her career, and really, what other reason is there, for an artist? She certainly didn't do it to make a good impression, just for the heck of it.

Reminds me of Christina Aguilera during her 'dirty' phase. I think she's rebelling, when I was 20, I partied like crazy, and acted a fool, but didn't have my life in front of a camera. Sure, she needs to reel it in a little, because she is a pretty good singer, and she's gorgeous, Miley doesn't need to make a video like this to prove to anyone that she isn't hannah montana anymore.

I hate to say it, but I'm in love. I adore the new song and think the video is ridiculous in a good way. I'm married to an artist, I love the awkward self-expression she's got going on now.

That being said, the video is not for young children.

Does anyone else think the video is supposed to be a parody of herself?:confused3

I also love her hair. It works for her.

That was my first thought--that it feels more like a Saturday Night Live parody of a video of the child star gone overboard in trying to separate from that image than the real thing. But, I didn't really get the impression that SHE is seeing it that way or intending it to be a parody--which is sad to me.

To me, the video was not silly or fun or edgy--it was just sad "trying too hard" to be all of those thing I don't care for the song at all. And while I am not the target audience, I DO like a lot of the newer, more electronic sounding music (Inna, Pink, Gwen Stefani, etc) and manage to enjoy a lot of stuff that is equally "inappropriate" but doesn't have the feel of that being the only point (I like a lot of the Pit Bull, Flo Rida, Will i Am, etc that my son listens to).

I don;t think this is getting any radio play here yet--I'll have to play it for DS14 tonight and get his reaction--assuming he IS the Target audience.

ETA--I have not really followed her career at all, so I may be totally off base--but from what little I can tell I get the impression that her parents pretty much exploited the heck out of her and provided her with virtually zero guidance and real parenting. I would expect that she would have a few years of rebellion and trying to sort out who she really is and whatnot now. I can't fault her for that.

Hear Hear! Shaming women, lesbians, gays, transgendered, ethnic folks, etc. will only perpetuate the hate that creates minority groups in the first place.

The key point to be made about Miley is she's no longer a child on the Disney channel, she is a grown woman producing her interpretation of art and emotion. Parents have every right to not allow their children to see her latest video.

To answer the question of why Disney kids rebel...I used to (ten years ago) have connections with the entertainment industry. While some parents were desperate to get their kids hired by Disney due to the fame they knew it would bring, there were also a LOT (really, a LOT) of parents who turned down any Disney audition they got, or even told their agents, don't submit her for Disney!! Disney is VERY hard on kids...In a build them up, use them for all you can get, then spit them out kind of way. Disney is very much about the numbers, and the well-being of the kids gets lost on the way.

A lot of parents said they would love for their child to get a job with Nick and not with Disney.
Nick has a much better reputation with child actors. Nick does a lot better with on-set tutoring than Disney does, also Nick does not overwork kids as much as Disney, and Nick is a lot more laid back!
The other important thing is Nick makes sure the kids are prepared for the future when theyre no longer with Nick- they talk to the kids a LOT about how childhood fame is not a forever thing and they really work on helping the kids transition better once it's time for them to move on.
Now this was 10-12 years ago but I think it's safe to assume it's still the same way if not worse..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter