The New Elite Commandos

I also have another deduction but I can’t post it. ;)

Just concerned about FoP because it was proven the Throwaway Room was not beneficial in booking FoP 60-days out. At least the “rolling 60” gives you a longer window in which to try to Modify and Search.

Everything that I have planned is acceptable to discuss on these boards so no worry there.

You have me concerned now tho.

Im going at possibly the only quiet time left. End of aug beginning sept.

Why with a throwaway giving me 60 days fp should i not anticipate getting a fp for fop?

Im going at possibly the only quiet time left.

"Quiet"? Disney World, in 2018?

giphy.gif

Everything that I have planned is acceptable to discuss on these boards so no worry there.

You have me concerned now tho.

Im going at possibly the only quiet time left. End of aug beginning sept.

Why with a throwaway giving me 60 days fp should i not anticipate getting a fp for fop?
You will have a better chance looking at booking FoP for your checkout day (60+1) than on your check-in date especially if you are booking for 7(?).

I have a 60-day rolling window open right now because I’m linked to a friend with an onsite stay and I’ve yet to see FoP available when I check...and that’s for the end of April, another quiet time far enough removed from Easter. Na’Vi is available at the 60-day mark and even at the 30-day mark.

With this thread (seemingly) being geared more toward the folks who frequently visit the parks, I'll provide a different perspective:

Being an AP-holder, going on multiple trips a year, me taking the 'relax' approach has helped my family a lot, as with each trip the crowds (regardless of the time of year we go) are continually growing. I know, I know. I can hear you saying it: "Oh, sure 'relax'... Yea, buddy, that's it." (rolling eyes commence) But, hear me out.

When I say "relax", I mean consider this: how many times have you ridden this ride you're gung-ho on riding? Fifty-five times? Do you need to ride it again in order to fulfill your quota of happiness or perceived ROI? Of course, a ride or two on your favorites is a certainty!... I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the point which you find yourself incessantly checking the app or otherwise pulling your attention from 'being in the moment' in order to achieve 'the next best thing'. I can say that mindset has made our trips less enjoyable than it could have been.

I'm an impatient person and a lightning-fast walker who can't stand being behind slow people and I personally always have to feel like I'm doing something. Not good qualities for someone who should take it easy, right? Case in point: I'm the kind of guy who will drive 10 minutes out of the way on backroads to avoid sitting in traffic; resulting in a loss in travel time just so I can be moving, as illogical as it is. So, it's incredibly easy for me to have this mindset of "I'm going to relax and enjoy our vacation" before I get there but once I get to the parks?... psssht, brother, you can kiss that 'relax' away because my mindset flips to "alright, THIS dude is CRAZY if he thinks he's going to pass ME!" and I'm zig-zagging through the shops on Main Street so I can beat everyone to Liberty Island in record time (picture Flight of the Navigator). And so we rush along... trying to edge out some random dude I don't know to save myself 0.05 seconds on an attraction I've experienced countless times. Never mind the fact when I get in to this 'mode' I will ignore hunger until the point where I'm flat out hangry and temporarily act like a brat. Yea, Daddy is a toooooootal PITA when he's hungry and those Snickers commercials are telling my life's story in that moment. Luckily my wife has let me live this long. But I digress...

Ok, so having said all that: getting 'caught up' in the rush of Disney is just part of it for me and when those instances occur I have to provide myself a reminder: "hey, dude, chill out... you've been here a gazillion times, you and your family have ridden everything at least 1,576,103 times... nothing has changed, so just pump your brakes and take it easy". Getting wrapped up in the rush and the inclination to ride every ride again and again is usually a detriment to my vacation.

I'm not telling anyone else how to vacation (effectively telling them how to spend their hard-earned money). And this isn't saying you should appreciate the 'small' moments in life because I can't stand when people assume I don't. I am saying if you're like me you may find yourself arriving home with more of the feeling that vacation just flew by and you don't really remember much. If so, join me in a wooosaaaaa and ask yourself if it's more important to do something for the umpteenth time just because or if you and your family would enjoy the trip more if you maybe bypassed that ride(s) and just strolled around the park and being in that moment rather than the one that you may not need.
OMG, we must have been twins in another life! ;)

I have gotten to the point where today I am where you are today too. Having an AP at DLR for me and DW helped. I am totally cool with shopping now with my DW (well, almost totally cool LOL!) even during prime time for rides. I am mostly fine missing out on things I have done before. It has been more relaxing. Having an app on my phone has made it better. And worse. Now the app handles things so I do not have to think quite as much as walk away to get FPs ever. THAT is cool and one of the things I truly love about FP+ and MaxPass at DLR (different than FP+ but still app based).

Thanks for sharing!

:wizard:

I also have another deduction but I can’t post it.

"Quiet"? Disney World, in 2018?

giphy.gif

Hehe an apt giff

You will have a better chance looking at booking FoP for your checkout day (60+1) than on your check-in date especially if you are booking for 7(?).

I have a 60-day rolling window open right now because I’m linked to a friend with an onsite stay and I’ve yet to see FoP available when I check...and that’s for the end of April, another quiet time far enough removed from Easter. Na’Vi is available at the 60-day mark and even at the 30-day mark.

Hmm hopefully that extra day saves me at 61 days.

Have you checked right when the window opens? Thats 7am est right?

@Greenfield1984 - Booking opens at 7:00a ET which is 4:00a for me...but I’ve checked once at that time and then around 5am-ish a couple of other times and nothing. And, I’m just checking for 2.

Yes. If you know you can’t get your large group to the park an hour prior to park opening on a non-EMH morning, getting in line a few minutes before the park officially closes will be your best option.

Ya its more the mad dash i dont want to be a part of. Will ruin the experience for the in laws.

Will try park close if i have too.

Okay... here's my biggest tip / secret to guaranteed lower crowds. I actually can't believe I'm giving this one away. But here it is...

Plan your next Disney vacation BEFORE the grand opening of any major attraction and /or event. This works every time. My next trip will be a week or 2 before the opening of Star Wars land.

I call this the "calm before the storm" strategy. The bigger the event. The less the crowds leading up to the opening. This approach has never failed me. Right before the opening of the new Fantasyland, we planned a trip starting after Thanksgiving and ended 7 days later. Crowds were extremely light. No issue with reservations or FP. We did the same thing prior to Universal opening Harry Potter.

Obviously, planning this way requires you to forego whatever shinny new thing Disney is about to unveil. The science behind this is that most people have targeted the grand opening date and want to be there the day of. The closer you can get to that date (fantasyland opened December 6th and left to go back home on Dec 4th) the better. As we were checking out, it seemed like the whole world was checking in. NOW... I'm not saying that the parks were empty. But the decrease in attendance was definitely noticeable.

Again, the only thing that sucks is knowing you are leaving right as something very cool is about to happen. People were even asking us, "do you know that Fantasyland is opening in 2 days? You're going to miss it!" Yup. We planned to.

I hope this works for me! I happen to have a solo trip booked June 22-24. Lighter crowds would be awesome!!

Young grasshopper...

Ye who is born into a "World" of passing things fast... where one grabs a ticket and runs to a ride, only to look for the next before enjoying the one you're at... Yes you, Disney vet of 15 years. There was a time back when there was no passing fast. There was no running. There was just a line. And it was long. One that we looked upon with our eager eyes and thoughts of getting that eventual thrill that we were willing to wait for. While we'd stand in line... Watch the comets shoot by... and wait. In a 1980's futuristic space station, debate whether the alpha-track or beta-track was faster, and be in awe of the fact that we were -- in Disney World. Today it is easy to forget that it doesn't matter if you get a Fast Pass. Your kids won't care if you got none at all and did not build the expectation that "to save the day" one had to not only ride the ride, but minimize the experience and skip ahead so fast that there is no build-up... no anticipation... just go, ride, run, ride, run, ride, done. Immediate gratification -- or it's not good. Have you played the games while you wait in line? Space Mountain? Or maybe Soarin? Or would you rush... No... don't play the games... Yes they're fun... but we have to go fast... Or would you maybe stop and get a slushie if it meant someone would pass you...

I'll tell you this about our beloved FastPass! We are the family that has walked away from FOP passes in-hand to go back to the hotel and play pool games.

We have rope-dropped a park only to sit down and eat waffles -- and watch everyone else scurry past. Hurrying here, rushing there...

We are also the family that's ridden every significant ride at Disney World in a single day.

Everything in balance -- and no experience is always the same.

There is no obligation to maximize rides all the time. And to not do so is not to give up... but to evolve. To grow. To understand that it is not the case that if you're waiting for something then you've failed to be a hero. I assure you that a single ride with an hour build-up and family fun waiting would be just as memorable as riding 3 times running the whole while. As an adult, you've ridden it a bajillion times anyways. How important is it really to squeeze in one extra time...

I've never listened to a pod cast.
We've never paid for Disney advice.
Disney World is not a beast to defeat.
We learned most of what we know by common sense.
We discovered how to get around theme parks before "commando" was a thing.
Attendance is higher but we wait less per ride today, with less effort, than we did long ago.

We waited hours for some rides. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage -- 3 hours opening day. It was amazing. Not because we did it multiple times but because of the experience. It wasn't even that memorable of a ride... But the experience... Was.

Our next voyage takes us to an all new land. Where we will shrink down to the size of toys but wait in lines made for adults. And it will be... Awesome.

Tips?
Vary your plan. Do not repeat the same thing or the same goal every time. Even if it's "the best". Hit some rope drops. But not every rope drop.
Put your tech away. It's easy to spend your time looking for that next ride on your phone that you miss out on what's going on around you.
Pick a couple cornerstone items that will anchor your day. Let everything else flow in around these. Do not plan the in-between.
Waste some time. :) Let "the other guy" go ahead of you in line.

Success is measured not by how much you do of something fun...
...but by how much fun you have doing what you do!

Last edited:
Young grasshopper...

Ye who is born into a "World" of passing things fast... where one grabs a ticket and runs to a ride, only to look for the next before enjoying the one you're at... Yes you, Disney vet of 15 years. There was a time back when there was no passing fast. There was no running. There was just a line. And it was long. One that we looked upon with our eager eyes and thoughts of getting that eventual thrill that we were willing to wait for. While we'd stand in line... Watch the comets shoot by... and wait. In a 1980's futuristic space station, debate whether the alpha-track or beta-track was faster, and be in awe of the fact that we were -- in Disney World. Today it is easy to forget that it doesn't matter if you get a Fast Pass. Your kids won't care if you got none at all and did not build the expectation that "to save the day" one had to not only ride the ride, but minimize the experience and skip ahead so fast that there is no build-up... no anticipation... just go, ride, run, ride, run, ride, done. Immediate gratification -- or it's not good. Have you played the games while you wait in line? Space Mountain? Or maybe Soarin? Or would you rush... No... don't play the games... Yes they're fun... but we have to go fast... Or would you maybe stop and get a slushie if it meant someone would pass you...

I'll tell you this about our beloved FastPass! We are the family that has walked away from FOP passes in-hand to go back to the hotel and play pool games.

We have rope-dropped a park only to sit down and eat waffles -- and watch everyone else scurry past. Hurrying here, rushing there...

We are also the family that's ridden every significant ride at Disney World in a single day.

There is no obligation to maximize rides all the time. And to not do so is not to give up... but to evolve. To grow. To understand that it is not the case that if you're waiting for something then you've failed to be a hero. I assure you that a single ride with an hour build-up and family fun waiting would be just as memorable as riding 3 times running the whole while. As an adult, you've ridden it a bajillion times anyways. How important is it really to squeeze in one extra time...

Attendance is higher but we wait less per ride today, with less effort, than we did long ago.

We waited hours for some rides. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage -- 3 hours opening day. It was amazing. Not because we did it multiple times but because of the experience. It wasn't even that memorable of a ride... But the experience... Was.

Our next voyage takes us to an all new land. Where we will shrink down to the size of toys but wait in lines made for adults. And it will be... Awesome.

Tips?
Vary your plan. Do not repeat the same thing or the same goal every time. Even if it's "the best". Hit some rope drops. But not every rope drop.
Put your tech away. It's easy to spend your time looking for that next ride on your phone that you miss out on what's going on around you.
Pick a couple cornerstone items that will anchor your day. Let everything else flow in around these. Do not plan the in-between.

This post was thoughtful, measured and proves you are wise beyond your years.

It sickens me...

Where is the pain. The torment. The anguish.

The kind of trauma that reminds you that you are truly alive!

Silliness aside.
I have two sides of me.
I go commando during the planning phase.
I really enjoy getting into the nitty gritty and analyzing every angle.
I plan out what park, which day, which attraction, at what time, what food at each time and if my group is lucky ill schedule in a bathroom break!

Thats during the planning phase.

Once there i take on a more zen approach. I go with the flow, roll with the punches, and smell the flowers.

I mentioned previously that one of the things im most looking forward to is hide and go seek in the hedge maze in the UK.

Im also looking forward to having my kids figure out the murder mystery in front of the haunted mansion. This is something that i discovered with my endless planning of all the details that Disney puts into the parks.

I also do love playing in all the interactive lines.

Catching the jumping water outside of imagination.

Etc.

You are wise to make sure people dont burn themselves out and forget what they are there for.

Not to just check things off their list but to make memories and share and spend time with people you love.

As for me.
Im already perfectly balanced.
Now let me go back to my planning.

Ive got 3 minutes unaccounted for with no activity planned right before lunch at 1127 aug 26th...

This post was thoughtful, measured and proves you are wise beyond your years.

It sickens me...

Where is the pain. The torment. The anguish.

The kind of trauma that reminds you that you are truly alive!

Silliness aside.
I have two sides of me.
I go commando during the planning phase.
I really enjoy getting into the nitty gritty and analyzing every angle.
I plan out what park, which day, which attraction, at what time, what food at each time and if my group is lucky ill schedule in a bathroom break!

Thats during the planning phase.

Once there i take on a more zen approach. I go with the flow, roll with the punches, and smell the flowers.

I mentioned previously that one of the things im most looking forward to is hide and go seek in the hedge maze in the UK.

Im also looking forward to having my kids figure out the murder mystery in front of the haunted mansion. This is something that i discovered with my endless planning of all the details that Disney puts into the parks.

I also do love playing in all the interactive lines.

Catching the jumping water outside of imagination.

Etc.

You are wise to make sure people dont burn themselves out and forget what they are there for.

Not to just check things off their list but to make memories and share and spend time with people you love.

As for me.
Im already perfectly balanced.
Now let me go back to my planning.

Ive got 3 minutes unaccounted for with no activity planned right before lunch at 1127 aug 26th...

I think i may need you to chime in every 20 posts or so to remind us..

Something not mentioned, but what is immensely helpful for me, is simply knowing the parks well. This way, you can take advantage of things like a ride nearby reopening with a shorter line, a ride breaking down, or other surprises. My guess is that everyone on the boards here takes this for granted.

I'm more of a DLR guy, and my family tends to go at a super crowded time: Thanksgiving weekend. Despite that, we do everything we want every trip. The biggest key is park familiarity. My DW and DS have learned I'm basically a vacation commando (not just at Disney), so we just fall into our single file formation and I cut through the crowds. Not pushy... More like a ninja. Go for the gaps :)

If you know the parks well, you can react much faster to what's going on that day. I don't think any itinerary can compete with wait time awareness, using FP wisely, and smiling as much as possible while taking it in.

For me, feeling a bit of physical exhaustion at the end of the day is actually a bonus. Then again, 10+ mile hikes in the mountains are also a favorite pastime for DW and me. It's like DIS conditioning :D

Young grasshopper...

Tips?

I think there’s a huge difference between a family who goes several times a year to a family that goes once every 2-3 years (that’s my family). I have friends that go many times a year, I know just by reading this message board, many park visitors go up to 6, 7, 8 times a year. If that were me, I would take it easy and be more relaxed. There’s this feeling of wanting to experience everything and wanting to get your money’s worth that makes me less zen about our park touring style. Also, I have a child who doesn’t like being in the parks for long. Our first 3-4 hours of the day are important to get as much in as we can because we leave after lunch rarely to return.

ONe thing I always look forward too and try to plan into my tour is food. Explore the food and all that Disney can offer in the food department. Everyone has to admit that they really stepped up their game and continue to do so.

ONe thing I always look forward too and try to plan into my tour is food. Explore the food and all that Disney can offer in the food department. Everyone has to admit that they really stepped up their game and continue to do so.

Speaking of which.
I dont have a ton of cash to drop on dining so no table service for us.
But i do want a Be Our Guest reservation.
Im looking 180 days out and no avail.
Any commando strategies for adr's?

Speaking of which.
I dont have a ton of cash to drop on dining so no table service for us.
But i do want a Be Our Guest reservation.
Im looking 180 days out and no avail.
Any commando strategies for adr's?
We changed our trip around and made two BOG's well within 6 mo and it was super easy. Around 4 mo out. Your timeframe is after the changes to occur there, so maybe they're delaying loading tables in the system? I doubt they're all full. Tons of tables avail 2nd week of Aug but none the 3rd week so just wait it out a week. There seems to be no BOG 180-day press these days. These used to be the hottest thing. Perhaps that's why they're changing it all up?

I think there are 2 main things or tricks that an uber planner/commando type needs; first is manipulating the fastpass system to your advantage. I would guess that the majority of people in the parks aren't moving up their 2nd and 3rd fastpass times once the previous one is used to allow them to complete their first 3 in less than 3 hours, which gets them to being able to book the 4th+ fastpass sooner which will ultimately get you more fastpasses per day than the average guest. The second is flexibility. What I have learned the most from the obsessing over touring plans and planning and re-planning a trip is that the biggest advantage/outcome of that is not an iron clad plan, it's the knowledge and ability to be able to change a plan up on the fly without missing beat so that you can overcome unpredictable things that crop up (like an hour wait for Small World). You need to be agile and able to shuffle plans around without wasting time trying to figure it out.
How does that work please? Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter