What would you do

• Just get over it and give her the password

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Change it and not tell her

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • Other- Explain in comments

Votes: 28 38.9%

• Total voters
I don't think this is about a "stupid Netflix account". The problem here is the lack of respect from the niece. Hacking her account? I'm surprised to see so many here who don't see a problem with that.
I don't think anyone is saying they see no problem with it. Of course the op should find out who tried to change the password and discuss the problems she has with whoever doing that. There's a way to do things though.

The point isn't that it's "just netflix" or that "texting is short and to the point". The point is that respect for others is virtually non-existent and that people's opinion of that is "who cares"?

Terrible...

The point isn't that it's "just netflix" or that "texting is short and to the point". The point is that respect for others is virtually non-existent and that people's opinion of that is "who cares"?

Terrible...

I agree! Is this what has become acceptable in society? As a teacher that regularly interacts with teens and their parents, I can answer yes and be honest.

The sad part is, I see you and I are the same age and are actually considered as part of this "millennial" age group! I guess when people are pushing that #notmy(insert something here) we could start our own #notmygeneration hahahaha

Terrible...
Come on. We're taking about a teenager. They are disrespectful and insufferable by nature. The op should talk to her about it but you don't go all balls to the wall over something like this.
I don't think anyone is saying who cares or don't hurt her delicate feelings. There's a lot of space between "talk to her about it and really think about if it's the best situation to be sharing the account" and "that stupid little ungrateful brat needs to be but in her place".
You seen to be taking something small and also something you don't have the full picture of and making it an example of what you think is wrong with today society.

Is there a reason you have the account for them?? That part I don't get. I would just change it and move on. There's no reason they can't subscribe themselves if the oldest is 18

Right. If you want them to have Netflix, pay for an account for them. (Which I would NOT, they could UPGRADE your account fyi)

I said cancel. Why?

I had to do that to shake old teens off...lol. My girls gave out the password too. I was able to change the password before someone came in and shut me out. I made sure of that. (No one has the password but me now.)

Since you do not have control of your account OP, I recommend cancelling, unless of course you want the person that changed the password to have Netflix.

I would not.

Right. If you want them to have Netflix, pay for an account for them. (Which I would NOT, they could UPGRADE your account fyi)

I said cancel. Why?

I had to do that to shake old teens off...lol. My girls gave out the password too. I was able to change the password before someone came in and shut me out. I made sure of that. (No one has the password but me now.)

Since you do not have control of your account OP, I recommend cancelling, unless of course you want the person that changed the password to have Netflix.

I would not.

Huh? The password was not changed, and the OP still has control. She got a notice saying that someone attempted to change it, not that it happened, at least in my interpretation of the OP.

Huh? The password was not changed, and the OP still has control. She got a notice saying that someone attempted to change it, not that it happened, at least in my interpretation of the OP.

No, actually, if I recall correctly, you can request a password change without using your email on Netflix. You can enter a number to receive a text. Getting that notification is just the after the fact warning. So the teen reset the password, and the OP was informed of that by automated email.

But, of course, the change isn't permanent. I'm actually not sure how you would get locked out of your own account- you can just change the password again.
Maybe you could change security questions or something, but the easiest way to stop the hacking is to get rid of that account and use a whole different username. Or OP could erase the payment information, abandon the account, and it would be useless. (I "hack" my own accounts for stupid reasons like expired debit card. The account does not work without a valid form of payment on file).

There's no malicious reason I can think of to hack someone's Netflix account. I mean, yeah, to watch it. But other than that, no. Which is probably why it doesn't have better security.

OH...I thought the kid changed the password.

My answer is still the same.

When I "shook off" the teens yrs ago, there was no protection at all. Security has upgraded since then.

Maybe I'm a pushover, but I don't expect my nieces & nephews to address me, say please, thank you, etc. every text. The whole point of texting is to keep it short. They can ask me for anything, without making small talk. I would tell my niece I knew she tried to change the password & that was wrong. After that, I'd tell her she had to accept the fact that she couldn't always watch Netflix, then give her the password. Then again, I wouldn't constantly change my password, if I was sharing it with my family. I wouldn't want to go from the awesome aunt to one that everyone was mad at for a few dollars, but that's me. Honestly, to me that doesn't sound like odd behavior for a child that hasn't been given everything by Dad & Mom. It sounds like someone who knows her aunt is there to provide things Dad & Mom can't.
This!!

This all sounds like way too much drama for my taste. And why nobody I'm not married to or gave birth to gets any of my passwords.

Very true. But, I actually know my exdh's password by accident to hiis firestick account when I go to his house. He gave the password to our dd, but she forgot a couple of numbers, and I guessed it (bdays).
He knows I know it and wouldnt take advantage. Does he know my stuff, heck no.

No, actually, if I recall correctly, you can request a password change without using your email on Netflix. You can enter a number to receive a text. Getting that notification is just the after the fact warning. So the teen reset the password, and the OP was informed of that by automated email.

But, of course, the change isn't permanent. I'm actually not sure how you would get locked out of your own account- you can just change the password again.
Maybe you could change security questions or something, but the easiest way to stop the hacking is to get rid of that account and use a whole different username. Or OP could erase the payment information, abandon the account, and it would be useless. (I "hack" my own accounts for stupid reasons like expired debit card. The account does not work without a valid form of payment on file).

There's no malicious reason I can think of to hack someone's Netflix account. I mean, yeah, to watch it. But other than that, no. Which is probably why it doesn't have better security.

I'm pretty sure that if you click the forgot your password option Netflix will send you a code to reset your password (either text or email depending on which you have selected under your settings)
It's likely that someone clicked that option thinking it would help them log in. Although that's still a breach of trust (if it actually was the niece who was told she had to wait), it's really much different from someone trying to intentionally change the password and lock the op out.

Last edited:

You need more than the old password to request a new one. When my husband set up our account, he input the email address and phone number that may be used to reset. A password reset request would only go to one of those contacts. No access to that email or cell number, no new password.

I would go passive aggressive like this.
I would be direct, I would advise that I had changed the password because of the attempt to change it after people had been advised they couldn't use.
I would also consider saying something along the lines of "this hasn't worked in the way I invisioned, it isn't working for me and the above incident is the straw that broke the camels back.

I meant to say would not go passive aggressive.

Ok the Netflix is mine. Since I only need one screen, I let them use the other. I also do quite a bit to help my sister out. They only thing I expect is a thank you and a hug. Oh and a hi if they text me that they need something. I text or call them all around once a week to see how school is going and how they are doing. She is they only one who will ignore me but I shrug it off and know it is because she is a teenage girl. It truly does not bother me and did not until she tried to change my password. My sister even agreed that she needed to be cut off, so my younger nephew (for different reasons). She did say it was not fair to the youngest but knew I could not give her the password because she would crack like an egg. So she would sign in for her when she wanted to watch but than sign out once she was done. I am also not going to let it affect me going to out in the future, just no more Netflix. Both my sister and I agree this is a good consequence to her action. Like I said she is a teenage girl and I know she will not be this way forever.

And for those of you judging my eldest nephew. Stop. My grand niece does not spend hardly any time in front of a screen but she is two. Sometimes she is difficult to get down for a nap. She loves Minions. She gets to watch Minions if she lays down for her nap. She is usually out within 10 minutes. I am not going to take that away from my nephew. He is working hard to finish school while working full time to care of his kid. I am not taking away that helps him out (He doesn't watch it himself since he doesn't have the spare time). He is mature enough to realize what is going on and understand why I am doing what I am doing.

I'm just confused by the whole situation. I've had netflix for years. When I first got it, all of our sons were teens and living at home. Now the older two live elsewhere and can still sign into Netflix. I didn't realize there were "screen" limitations. What does that mean? I log in and the tv asks which profile I am and I pick my name and watch whatever I want. As far as I know, that is also what my dh and sons do too. Where do I see how many "screens" I'm paying for? Never have I tried to sign in and found I cannot. We also have Amazon Prime and Comcast OnDemand so I suppose it's possible that there hasn't been more than two of us watching at the same time. What message would I see?

IMO, I think you're way too involved with providing screen entertainment for your extended family. I understand that you are trying to be nice, but they are taking advantage of your and/or you are enabling them. No one is going to melt without Netflix. Though when people are screen-addicted, they sure act like it. If it's THAT important, they can get a job, re-prioritize their money, get their own account, and pay for it themselves.

I'd be really mad about the password reset attempt. I would cancel the whole entire account. Tell all your family that although you were providing it for them graciously for awhile, it's now causing more headaches for you that it's worth. I'd wait month or more and re-sign up for JUST yourself after they aren't in the habit of using you and your account privileges. I wouldn't even share it with anyone that I'd re-signed up.

I'm just confused by the whole situation. I've had netflix for years. When I first got it, all of our sons were teens and living at home. Now the older two live elsewhere and can still sign into Netflix. I didn't realize there were "screen" limitations. What does that mean? I log in and the tv asks which profile I am and I pick my name and watch whatever I want. As far as I know, that is also what my dh and sons do too. Where do I see how many "screens" I'm paying for? Never have I tried to sign in and found I cannot. We also have Amazon Prime and Comcast OnDemand so I suppose it's possible that there hasn't been more than two of us watching at the same time. What message would I see?
It's under 'Your Account' and then scroll down the screen to the 'Plan Details' part

Here's what mine looks like (I'm one of the rare ones to still have DVD included-sometimes Netflix has what my library doesn't have and I Redbox doesn't have, etc):
upload_2017-3-27_9-17-23.png

If you go to 'Change Plan' link on the right here is what you'll see:
upload_2017-3-27_9-18-10.png

I don't remember when but they added the multi-screen aspect some time ago. I believe typically you were just put into the 2-screens plan automatically since it was HD and not SD when they rolled over to the multi-screen aspect.

IMO, I think you're way too involved with providing screen entertainment for your extended family. I understand that you are trying to be nice, but they are taking advantage of your and/or you are enabling them. No one is going to melt without Netflix. Though when people are screen-addicted, they sure act like it. If it's THAT important, they can get a job, re-prioritize their money, get their own account, and pay for it themselves.

I'd be really mad about the password reset attempt. I would cancel the whole entire account. Tell all your family that although you were providing it for them graciously for awhile, it's now causing more headaches for you that it's worth. I'd wait month or more and re-sign up for JUST yourself after they aren't in the habit of using you and your account privileges. I wouldn't even share it with anyone that I'd re-signed up.
I agree with all this. Why can't they get their own account? It's only a few dollars a month. I don't see why They need to use your screens...

Come on. We're taking about a teenager. They are disrespectful and insufferable by nature. The op should talk to her about it but you don't go all balls to the wall over something like this.
I don't think anyone is saying who cares or don't hurt her delicate feelings. There's a lot of space between "talk to her about it and really think about if it's the best situation to be sharing the account" and "that stupid little ungrateful brat needs to be but in her place".
You seen to be taking something small and also something you don't have the full picture of and making it an example of what you think is wrong with today society.

So just accept that teens have no respect? I've been a teen as everyone else has and I'm sure we've all had our moments but my parents didn't let me get away with it. Not sure what it's like raising a teen now, but it sure sounds pretty terrible that we just glaze over this lack of respect thing.

I never said anything about going "balls to the wall" as you so gracefully put it. I have read this thread and I am seeing many different opinions here. You seem to be making your own assumptions of what my point is or what I'm even trying to convey. Hate to say it, but you're just as guilty here. I must've missed the part where you mentioned you knew all the details of this scenario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter