The Meat at Walmart Scares Me

Now...if we start talking knock-off Great Value girl scout cookies...let's just say 2 boxes ($1.76 each) of peanut butter patties disappeared in three days last week. :rolleyes1
Well, their version of Oreos are better.

I like paying prices that come close to or match Aldi's without the Aldi's experience I detest. (Now there's a store I'll never set foot into again!) lol
Not to derail the Wal-Mart thread by talking about Aldi too much, but I don't get the Aldi love either. After hearing so many people rave about how cheap the stuff there is, I went to the one near me back before Christmas. Every single thing I buy regularly at Kroger was more expensive at Aldi. I was expecting to be blown away by the Aldi prices and I walked out with a box of Ziploc bags and that was it - I only bought them because I needed them even though they were more than Kroger.

Not to derail the Wal-Mart thread by talking about Aldi too much, but I don't get the Aldi love either. After hearing so many people rave about how cheap the stuff there is, I went to the one near me back before Christmas. Every single thing I buy regularly at Kroger was more expensive at Aldi. I was expecting to be blown away by the Aldi prices and I walked out with a box of Ziploc bags and that was it - I only bought them because I needed them even though they were more than Kroger.
No matter where you shop, you need to know your prices. During the egg "shortage" Walmart never had empty slots, but their prices went up. My neighborhood chain store had limited stock, but actually had eggs on sale!
That is also why I could never use a shopping service. I walked into Walmart Sunday and they had strawberries on sale. It has basically been raining in California for the last three months, and they haven't been able to get in to the fields to harvest the strawberries. But Walmart had the best looking California grown strawberries, so I bought some. They are the sweetest strawberries I have had in a long time. I should have bought the big container, not the smallest.

. I like paying prices that come close to or match Aldi's without the Aldi's experience I detest. (Now there's a store I'll never set foot into again!) lol

I admit I never venture INSIDE a walmart. 100% delivery and curbside.
So sounds like you don't like Aldi or Walmart store experiences.
That's why there are so many options, everyone is different. I do most of my basics shopping at Aldi and like it a lot.

I’ve always liked Acme for meats.

A Wegmans finally came to my area this past December, about 10 miles away, but I haven’t been there yet. I need to check it out.
Acme has been my go to for meats since we got married. More convenient then the butcher shop my Parents & Sis used.

Wegmans has a good selection of items & every day cereal prices are very good. Highly recommend their seafood. Just a piece of advice , if you go on a weekend do it in the morning or evening. The one near us is like a Mall during the holidays (before everyone went online) during afternoon.

Sooo many different opinions, lol. I'm a WalMart girl (or old lady) through & through. Closest one to me is about 6 miles away but there are five more within 10 miles from my home. I can't remember ever having a bad experience at one. I find WalMart has more variety & selections than other stores. Oh, they are not overly great with the customer service but I don't care for a lot of the "can I help you find something?" type of workers either. I love big stores, love to look at everything in the store. I rarely use the self checkout but really the only time there are very long lines are near holidays. I don't even mind those workers at the exit that want to see your receipt. Most of the time I just hold up the receipt & they wave me on out with a thank you and a smile. I do hate those in store shoppers tho that whip up & down the aisles & leave there cart thingy in the way.
I do shop at Kroger some. Occasionally I will run into Aldi to see what I can find. Rarely go into Publix unless it is to pick up a sub sandwich or their fried chicken from the deli. Both are the best!
Oh, and I also love McDonalds, lol.

I got my tires at Walmart recently. I hadn’t been inside Walmart in a couple of years so I walked around while my tires were installed. Our Walmart has always been super clean and I was happy to see it still is. I ended up buying a nice Calphalon stockpot and saved myself a trip to Homegoods.

As far as groceries go nothing, I mean NOTHING, compares to HEB. If you’ve never been to Texas and experienced the perfection of HEB you are missing out!

The in person shopping experience at Walmart is the worst of any store I've been to.
i'll grant safeway that distinction. used to LOVE shopping there but they have gone steadily down hill in recent years. well before pandemic/supply chain issues they would have sales listed in their ads but none of the items in the store. talk to a manager and they would admit that they hadn't carried an item in the ad in months but since the ads were put out by corporate they didn't research/care if they were accurate or not. produce that is not checked/regularly discarded by staff so it looks fine until you take the top couple of items off a pile/package-molded below, post dated dairy left on shelves...not the place i shopped at for decades.

Walmart food is worse than anywhere save Family Dollar or one of those. Won't touch it.

Food or meat?
Much of it is exactly the same as every other store. Nabisco products are Nabisco products no matter where you buy them. Same with General Mills, Kelloggs, Quaker, Campbells. Heck, the milk at our Walmart is bottled by my local grocery store for them, but sells for a dollar a gallon less.

my thoughts as well. brand name items sold to other stores are identical-walmart benefits from large purchasing discounts which are passed on to the consumer. the butter ball turkey at walmart is no different than the one at the more expensive chain or privately owned store, tyson is tyson everywhere...i tend not to buy bulk meat there but that's only b/c i stock up when there's a great sale at one of our local smaller chain of stores (they seem to rotate specials) but a pack of tyson drumsticks at walmart is the same as a pack anywhere else i go (identical packaging just with walmart's price sticker on the front.

Walmart meat and vegetables are inferior. As for things Nabisco might make, the little amounts of that type of thing I buy, I use store brands more often than not. And those are not EXACTLY the same at every store. Furthermore, just because dairy X bottles some Walmart milk does not mean it is to the same standard as the name brand dairy X makes. And as Walmart uses several suppliers for milk, the milk at one Walmart may not have even come from the same place as another.

I get it. You want to defend Walmart at all cost for some reason. But the bottom line is I would only choose them if the choice were Walmart vs Dollar General or Family Dollar. They aren't substantially cheaper when all is said and done and I get better elsewhere.

i buy name brand milk (top name brand for my state)-it's the identical milk sold to every store in our region/state-walmart sells a larger volume, gets a better price, sells it for less. as far as store brands you do realize that major brands manufacture many of walmart's great value product identically as they do other store brand names for other more costly stores (or under their own labels). you can find identical more costly name or other store brands for-

sara lee (walmart great value bread)

conagra makes peanut butter that is labeled as both peter pan, great value and a wealth of others

musselmans (great value apple sauce)

tyson (great value chicken)

dannon (great value yogurts-regular and greek)

reddi-whip (great value whipping cream)

one of my favorites-ziplock makes great value ziplock bags.

as far as walmart's produce-the quality in our region is FAR superior (esp. if you are seeking non organic so it will last more than 2 days under the best conditions).

as far as dollar tree (and other 'dollar' stores in general) go-there is no difference between the bottles of hunts catsup, a-1 sauce, hallmark cards, pinesol...sold there vs. any other store except perhaps the size containers AND the per unit prices. the smaller packages are frequently far less expensive per unit.

i love some products i can't find at walmart (or dollar store) but i also know that the stuff i love from trader joes is all manufactured by the same companies in the same manufacturing plants that sell to everyone else, and the rao's brand pasta sauce that sells at whole foods for $8.99 per jar is identical to the $6.88 per jar at walmart or better yet-$5.89 each in a double pack at costco. for some items i go directly to the local manufacturer-why pay $6.49 at a higher end store, even $3.96 at walmart for seattle sourdough when i can hit the parent company's (franz) outlet and get it for $1.50 per loaf.

not that it matters to me but no one is reviewing my grocery receipts to see where i shop and if it did matter to me what impressions people had based on my shopping habits i would just do as many others seem to-recycle their whole foods and tj's grocery bags to fill right next to me at the check out at walmart and the dollar store :rolleyes1

I like Aldi. I just wish it was a little more convenient to go there. Occasionally you can find some really good stuff. They had some baked cheddar + sour cream chips that were life changing, much better than the equivalent made by Ruffles. I like one particular kind of salsa that can be found at Aldi too. They have some kind of potato soup imported from Germany that is pretty amazing as well. Also, can't beat those $3 bottles of wine :rotfl2:

That's why there are so many options, everyone is different. I do most of my basics shopping at Aldi and like it a lot.
Do you just like the way the store is, or do you really find it to be a money saver? I was just so surprised when I went there to find that it wasn't any cheaper than Kroger after hearing people talk about how they were saving so much money by shopping there.

I'm a Acme girl for meat, and Costco when i can get up to one. We don't have a lot of grocery store choices unfortunately. Oh how I wish for a Wegmans within 45 minutes of me! Oh well.
The Wegmans novelty is slimming down for me now. When our daughter first started school and when the ex is with us when commuting back to school, we were like kids in a candy store stopping at Wegmans after dropping her off. It's worn off though. I don't know how people do regular grocery shopping at Wegmans. I'd need to take out a loan every week if I shopped for regular groceries there. It's incredibly expensive.

Aldi is dirt cheap for me where I am. I find most things far less quality than name brands in regular stores. A few things are fine, but most is a much lower quality matching the extremely low price.

The Wegmans novelty is slimming down for me now. When our daughter first started school and when the ex is with us when commuting back to school, we were like kids in a candy store stopping at Wegmans after dropping her off. It's worn off though. I don't know how people do regular grocery shopping at Wegmans. I'd need to take out a loan every week if I shopped for regular groceries there. It's incredibly expensive.
It is, yes. But they have a lot of out of the ordinary things I may find interesting- things my local grocery store may not necessarily carry. We suffer from lack of variety in my area.

For the things my household buys Walmart is not cheaper overall. Food is cheaper at Shoprite. Clothes cheaper at TJMaxx, Kohl’s, JCPenney, etc. Business supplies with Staples loyalty programs. Take a Hoodie or a backpack for example. I can easily find good ones on sale for under $30 that will last 3 years, or go to Walmart and find $20 ones that last 1 year. Also not convenient. The 2 closest Walmarts are over 20 minutes in opposite directions while there are plenty of my preferred options along the way.

Last but surely not least, not a fan of their business model preying on Fed and state money and programs for their workers to eek out survival. My nephew worked for them on and off through college (they intentionally don’t let them stay as to avoid the following), and OMG I could not believe the manipulations so they could avoid paying overtime, holiday pay, wage increases, ANY type of benefit even after YEARS. That’s not ‘smart’, that’s a leech on society. The only reason my nephew accepted it was because he liked keeping in physical shape unloading trucks, hours worked well with changing schedules, low options where he lived/schooled, and he had a family to help support him. After working for years with a great record his was still a ‘temp’ position. What a joke. Maybe things have changed in the past decade but I really have no use for Walmart.

Last edited:
i'll grant safeway that distinction. used to LOVE shopping there but they have gone steadily down hill in recent years. well before pandemic/supply chain issues they would have sales listed in their ads but none of the items in the store. talk to a manager and they would admit that they hadn't carried an item in the ad in months but since the ads were put out by corporate they didn't research/care if they were accurate or not. produce that is not checked/regularly discarded by staff so it looks fine until you take the top couple of items off a pile/package-molded below, post dated dairy left on shelves...not the place i shopped at for decades.
Safeway is just okay where I live. Not outstanding but not awful either. They are better stocked than Giant and Weis (I would actually put Weis in the same category as Walmart IMO.) The Walmart near my house is dirty, poorly stocked and only has like, 2 registers open at a time so lines to check out are crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter