The Meat at Walmart Scares Me

True enough, but that’s an objective list based on gross revenue.

If you seek out subjective opinion polls on supermarket preferences, Walmart is usually way down the list. Places like Wegmans, Publix, and Harris Teeter often are at the top.
That's very true, Angie. Walmart is very price oriented and that does create it's own issues. I really very rarely go into a Walmart, but do buy from one usually at least once a week. Zero hassles. If I were to go into a store, I'd much rather go into a Jewel (now owned by Kroger) or an even slightly nicer than a Jewel, a Mariano's (now also owned by Kroger). Much nicer shopping experiences. But also more costly. My shopping experiences are generally limited to online ordering and parking lot pickups. And Walmart is very efficient with both ends of that process.

But I do know anytime there is a Walmart discussion here, it always will get bad reviews.

Years ago I got a mini Butterball roast there, the kind I had bought dozens of times before at other stores. The one from Walmart was like particleboard turkey held together in a sleeve of netting & it was sort of gray, I have never bought meet there since. Same brand packaging but different product inside, it was then that I concluded they may use different factories or imperfect products, I don't know for sure but it did seem that way. I don't do fruit or produce there either because the employees I see look way too dissatisfied with their lives for me to serve raw stuff they actually touch.

I used to go once a week for all the canned and boxed items but the union stance is at odds with me, hear that Starbucks & all others, I have a list in my head.

I will order things online I can't get anywhere else or go in the morning to make a return to avoid crowds and may end up doing some shopping while there but it is no longer a place I use freely with intent.

Last edited:
Walmart is farther from home than any preferable grocery store and not on my way home like Target is, so I pretty much never go. The closest one is also in a kind of crappy area and has the most cramped parking lot, so it's never a pleasant experience.

There was a brand new Walmart built nearby when I was in college in Atlanta. That one was pretty nice and my roommates and I shopped there on occasion.

True enough, but that’s an objective list based on gross revenue.

If you seek out subjective opinion polls on supermarket preferences, Walmart is usually way down the list. Places like Wegmans, Publix, and Harris Teeter often are at the top.
You don't have to love Walmart itself to want the best prices. This was true in a pre-pandemic, pre-inflation world, and it's even more true now. Which is why Walmart is gaining market share.

I would rate Walmart below a bunch of other places as a grocery store. But I shop almost exclusively at Walmart because of the prices.

There are a few Wal-Marts I avoid. Some are dirty and disorganized.
The one near us is one of the good ones. It's about 10 years old and they do a good job of keeping it clean & tidy.

We don't buy much food there but it's handy for other stuff like OTC meds, hand soap, mundane necessities.

No issues with crowds either, generally go during midday on weekdays.

generally speaking I only buy automotive and outdoor stuff. Any department where I can go in through the garden center and sneak along the back wall to get to is about all i do.

Last edited:
Not really.

Maybe 10 years ago it did, but I occasionally buy some meat there.

I just want to see how many views my clickbait thread title will receive. :cool: It seems practically everyone has some thoughts about Walmart. What are yours?

Walmart stories often appear in my facebook and other newsfeeds. The comments are often hilarious.

I like the ones that whine about self checkouts and the lack of open staffed checkouts. Some say they won’t use self c/o unless they get a discount.

Heck, I’d gladly pay 5% more if my local Walmart had more than 6 self c/o’s.
Self Checkout is the bane of my existence.
Fully stocked shelves of everything I need.
Personalized cakes with 48 hrs notice.
“Fast fashion” that I hate but works for a growing child.
Glasses when said child does a triple kamakazi back flip on the couch onto your new pair of glasses.
And chocolate.
And toothpaste
And camping gear.
And toys.
And people who speak all sorts of languages. (Not for sale)
And ready stuffed Easter baskets.
And, where I am currently shopping, wine and beer, and ready made roasted chicken

With all the dislikes here, it is amazing that Walmart is number one of the top 10 retailers. Number two being Amazon, three being Costco.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/122415/worlds-top-10-retailers-wmt-cost.asp
I would venture a guess that the amount of people in the US who has to shop at Walmart because they can't afford anywhere else is far larger than those such as the demographic here who has money they can save, more discretionary money, and more money they can spend on nicer necessities such as food, housing, clothing, and transportation.

Like with the threads about stretching eggs and stretching chickens, I'm not getting what I thought I was getting in this thread :P

I'm not from the US, I've never been to a Walmart. I do know "People of Walmart".

Last edited:
You don't have to love Walmart itself to want the best prices. This was true in a pre-pandemic, pre-inflation world, and it's even more true now. Which is why Walmart is gaining market share.

I would rate Walmart below a bunch of other places as a grocery store. But I shop almost exclusively at Walmart because of the prices.
I used to shop exclusively at our local family owned grocery store. However, during the pandemic, their prices rose so much that I couldn't justify some of their products any more. So, I shop at 3 different stores, different items at each one that are cheaper and good.
When I first went to Walmart I was skeptical, but after I saved 8 dollars on 3 items that I always get, that convinced me. I figure I save about $20 or more a trip, and so Walmart is our main store. It is big and clean. They have 2 huge areas of self checkout and about 6 lines with a belt to use, just like checkout. They also have cashiers. I like self check out, but tend to use the cashiers if we can so they can keep their jobs, at least that's how I justify it:)
I go to the family grocery for meat and a few other items. I got to Target for paper products and other things that are cheaper than Walmart!
I don't buy the meat at Walmart, but I know others who do and have had no problems.
I just like to shop around and get the best deals, even before the pandemic, but I am retired and have the time:)

One to two online pickups a week. Always great.
agreed. love walmart curbside pickup. Been using them for years - usually 2x/wk. The one I use regularly is outstanding. Their shoppers rarely disappoint me. Dairy, fruits and veggies are in fresh, stellar condition with extended sell by dates. Their extra lean meats like beef and turkey are as good as any I've found elsewhere, for a lot less.

Some posts about horrible food may be from older experiences 5-10 years ago or poorly run store(s) in that area. (We have some WMs in our market I'll never visit again: they're terrible!)
Then there are always a couple of folks that just bash walmart automatically because the brand is uncool to them: polar opposite of a high end supermarket or trader joe's.

I just like saving money! I've shopped premium supermarkets/smaller boutiques and frankly don't see a big difference. I like paying prices that come close to or match Aldi's without the Aldi's experience I detest. (Now there's a store I'll never set foot into again!) lol

I admit I never venture INSIDE a walmart. 100% delivery and curbside. The ones by me get many extended families that all seem to like grocery shopping together: 8-12+ adults with overflowing carts completely blocking aisles and multiple kids screaming and carrying on.

Last edited:
Our Walmart isn't bad. We do buy certain goods there - mainly canned items, snacks and pop - because they are cheaper than other places. Only meat we buy are fresh chicken breasts as they are a good deal and actually really good. Most of our meat comes from a butcher.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart. When I don't feeling like driving an extra 20 minutes to WinCo, we will shop at Walmart. I haven't had a problem with their meat but I hate buying their fruits/veggies especially watermelons. They seem to go bad faster. Walmart has been having a problem for months with dry cat food.

I haven't bought groceries at Walmart in years. My husband occasionally takes his dad there to shop and picks up some of the no-sugar keto-friendly items he likes, but if I'm shopping, I'm either at Publix or Target. The super Walmart near us is enormous and crowded and my time and sanity are worth more than what I might save. I actually enjoy grocery shopping at Publix. It suits how I shop - I buy a lot of their BOGO deals and keep a stocked pantry. I like their fresh meat and produce. I shop at Sam's Club a couple of times a month, so it's not that I hate the entire company. We mostly get bacon, sausage, paper towels, kitty litter, and a few snack items at Sam's. We don't have a Costco. We just got an Aldi a few months ago, right next store to my Publix, and I still haven't been in there. I know where everything is at my Publix and I'm used to the items there. My time is worth a lot to me, and if I'm paying 10% more on some items, oh well. I just don't care.

Refuse to go in and I quit ordering delivery. We only do pick up. We have not had any meat issues. At least not that we wouldn't have elsewhere, too. Ground beef in a roll is disgusting anywhere 😀

Ours is pretty iffy at the best of times. I dislike going in there, the folks that work there always seem miserable and the other folks shopping in there always seems to be downright miserable and/or without the concept of situational awareness!

And yeah - ground beef in a tube grosses me out. It just strikes me as gross for some reason.

I'm a Acme girl for meat, and Costco when i can get up to one. We don't have a lot of grocery store choices unfortunately. Oh how I wish for a Wegmans within 45 minutes of me! Oh well.

I really don't understand what people hate about Walmart. I would estimate that I've been to over 50 all throughout the US, it is a go-to store for food and other things when I travel, and I've never been in a bad one.

I only wish they were still open 24 hours, I do miss that.

I rarely buy food at Walmart. The one closest to me is the tiniest one I have ever seen and does not carry fresh food—no refrigerated or freezer cases in the store. They have snack foods and a limited supply of canned goods but that’s it. I could drive about 30 minutes in other directions and be at larger ones that have meat and produce and dairy and all that, but at that point I would have passed probably 20 other places I could shop. I tend to do most of my shopping at Costco, Sam’s and Target with a bit of Aldi, Giant Eagle and Trader Joe’s thrown in.

The few times I have found myself near a bigger Walmart and needing groceries I haven’t had any issues with what I have bought

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter