The Lucky Nugget Saloon - reviews

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
Restaurant is styled as a true Western Saloon, complete with a live band that you may be fortunate to see. The restaurant is located in Frontierland opposite Phantom Manor.
You'll find the Saloon right after Fort Comstock on your left hand side, before Phantom Manor.

As from Spring 2011 this restaurant no longer hosts a character meal.

We ate here for Christmas Day lunch - we had a 2.30pm seating but as we had rode BTMR much faster than expected (what an efficient fast pass system that ride has) we were half an hour early so we tried our luck with an earlier seating but no chance and they advised us to come back at 2.30pm so we had a look round the shop opposite - very busy though. When we went back, we were seated right away, but they were turning people away without reservations.

We were sat downstairs on the highest tier at the end of a row which wasn't so bad, even if a little squashed - we were close to the band who were playing Christmas carols.

Christmas2006224-1.jpg

Our server was nice enough but spoke no English at all - we came across a few CM's with little or no English this trip (which wasn't a major problem (except at the Blue Lagoon!)

The buffet itself was OK but I was hoping for a bit of turkey but no such luck. There was a decent selection of 'starters' but I thought that the hot food was a bit limited - I had some chilli but there was no rice - had been but had all gone and they hadn't topped up so I had nacho chips and salsa with this. The dessert selection was pretty good.

There seemed to be a few characters around but for some reason, only 4 came to our area in the time we were there. There always seemed to be a 'gaggle' of people following the characters round (adults as well as children) - only King John waved them away - good on ya ,mate.

Christmas2006227.jpg

Christmas2006229.jpg

The Lucky Nugget operate an odd system where you show them your paid bill on your way out - the girl on the door said our server shouldv'e told us as we didn't basically - caused a bit of a problem for DH as he had nipped to the loo and we have gone outside already. Our server wouldn't have told us as she couldn't speak English but when she came back with the change in the little folder, we left it cos it was her tip! Maybe it's customary not to tip in France.

We might try this restaurant again but not at such a busy time.

Christmas Day 2005

Then it was time for our Christmas lunch at the Lucky Nugget. This was absolutely brilliant and we had a wonderful time. We were a little hesitant to eat there again after our trip in August for although the food had been very enjoyable, we had a miserable server and we found that the characters missed our table out because they were constantly being mobbed by unruly kids and kept escaping backstage to safety. Anyhow, the only way we could get a character meal (that wasn't breakfast) in the park itself on Christmas Day was to book the Lucky Nugget. There is no way I could do Christmas Day at Disney without a character meal! :mickeyjum :goofy:

45513DSCF0194_600_x_450_.jpg

Anyhow this time it turned out to be wonderful. :cloud9: We were seated at one of the terraces overlooking the floor area rather than one of the tables, I will always ask to be seated here again as it is far less crowded than one of the tables. We saw our miserable server from last time, still looking as miserable as ever but we had a fantastic one this time. He really made our meal special and I have written to DLRP to commend him. :thumbsup2 The food was excellent and we even had crackers and the band played Christmas music!

45513DSCF0202_450_x_600_.jpg

It was very busy in there but everyone seemed to be on their best behaviour and were waiting for the characters to visit them at their table. We will definitely come here again although I don’t suppose they will be serving the lovely Christmas cocktails in the summer! The characters we saw were Minnie, Gepetto, Brer Fox, Friar Tuck, Pluto, Goofy, Eeyore and my fave (after Mickey) Robin Hood.

45513DSCF0201_600_x_450_.jpg

45513DSCF0199_600_x_450_1.jpg

We eventually waddled out of here, I am ashamed to say I ate this whole plate of desserts without any trouble! :blush:

45513DSCF0196_600_x_450_1.jpg

We dined here for a character lunch.
The restaurant is well themed and beautiful inside.
The buffet is well stocked, starters of salad, nachos and dips.
Main meals of chips, meatball, nuggets, fish, chilli, rice etc... I could go on:thumbsup2
And the desserts...mmmmmm, ice cream, jelly, crepes & choc and plenty of gorgeous cakes.
Characters were very attentive, here are a few photos.
Daisy Duck
Picture1055.jpg

the band
Picture1061.jpg

DD and Genie
Picture1066.jpg

sorry no photos of food...too busy eating it...will try harder next time.;)
Elaine

Christmas Day 2005
We eventually waddled out of here, I am ashamed to say I ate this whole plate of desserts without any trouble! :blush:
45513DSCF0196_600_x_450_1.jpg

He He He Elaine.

We were seated right above the desert table and I just had to go back twice , :rotfl:.

DD8 went back for her 5th visit when I shouted down " step back from the puddings thats your 5th visit ". Said at the same time the band stopped playing music. :rolleyes1

I had some really funny looks but most found it quite amusing as I went a lovely shade of strawberry and DD kept on filling her plate :confused3

I have to agree that for VFM and atmosphere The Lucky Nugget rocks :banana:

anyone notice if there's anything suitable for vegetarians? Planning to go for lunch mainly with the characters, but would like to eat as well!

spooky - Jill mentioned the lucky nugget to me earlier and I was wondering about the veggie choice!!

:) Sadie

There were quite a few salad dishes but I'm not sure whether there was any meat/fish included in them. Perhaps someone else can remember?? :)

another veggie here- we were really thinking about visiting here but according the DLP Food Guide, there arent any veggie dishes but then it says that options on the buffet include pizza, salads and nachos n stuff so i'm confused! x

We ended up not eating here but going to the Agrabah however next time for sure! Here is a picture of the outside menu for everybody :).

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

LOL Kristina,

We did it the opposite way around - I planned to go to the Agrabah Cafe, but we went to the Lucky Nugget instead on Wednesday :goodvibes .

Its definitely worth a visit - lovely surroundings, good food, and fantastic character interaction, in a much less chaotic setting than Cafe Mickey (IMO).

Elaine

Elaine we will most likely try it next time :thumbsup2 . Cafe Mickey was a bit too chaotic for us also, at least for dinner although we may try having breakfast there sometime.

We ate here on Sunday and it was very very busy, but to be honest every where was very very busy last weekend.

You have to try the "Phantom Manor" cocktail, I know I say this everytime, but this one is definately my favourite of all the ones I've tried so far and it's kind of spooky looking too, got a greeny/blue colouring to it. I actually remembered last minute to take some photos of the food, not the cocktail though
doh.gif
I'll upload those later. :)

Sunday 27th November, 2007.

This is a very small selection of the food on offer, from memory there was "meat of the day", which was turkey in a lovely light sage & onion sauce, chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, there were several of the large covered stainless serving dishes which I didn't look in. I took these photos just before the restaurant was about to close, hence some of the trays are empty, but they were constantly replenished during our meal, our reservation was 1.45pm and we left about 3.15pm.

Plenty of characters about too.

This was our second visit to the Lucky Nugget and still a firm favourite. :goodvibes

We had booked a table here for our first day - Thursday 20th December 2007. We wanted an early lunch as we had been up since before 4am.
The restaurant was decorated beautifully for Christmas.

SSL13535.jpg

When we went in the houseband were playing - all toe-tapping stuff. They sung Jingle Bells in English and French, so of course I joined in. We were seated not at a table but at a long counter that overlooked the lower floor where the food was laid out.

SSL13516-1.jpg

The waitress took our drink order then we went to get our food. There was planty of choice. Cold meats and salad, pasta in bolognaise style sauce, chips, rice, chilli, chunks of beef in a sauce, chicken nuggets and ...ooh..lots more it seemed. My daughter chose a right-old mish-mash of stuff, but I just let her get on with it.

SSL13518.jpg

A few moments after the band finished there was a figure appear on the stage - Pluto had come out to play. He was followed by Mickey, Goofy, Robin Hood and Wendell. Their path around the place appeared to be random, but each one did come up to us, so there must have been some method there. There were a few children approaching them, encouraged by their parents, but most people waited at their tables/bar.

SSL13529-1.jpg

SSL13530.jpg

Dtr now realised they had soup and rolls and so we both had some. I don't know what the waitress thought of the weird people who had main course and THEN soup, but that's the joy of a buffet. The soup was really tasty and just what we needed on a cold December day.

There were plenty of desserts to choose from and the ones we had were very nice indeed. All this time the characters were still doing the rounds as well. Pluto was being very naughty - he had stolen a bauble off the tree and was balancing it on his nose and then chasing it around the floor. His CM was trying to get him to go in, as all the others had gone backstage, but he refused to go. He was playing with my dtr and trying to persuade her to go and get a tree bauble as well. She was in fits of laughter.

Eventually he was led off, with the CM 'scolding' him all the way. Then the band came back on.

This was a great lunch, with plenty to choose from and lots of entertainment. All the food we chose was delicious. The bill, after discount, was 40.37 Euros.
We will definitely eat here again.:)

We ate here at midday on Thursday 21 February.
It may have been bad luck but we entered at the same time as a group of 17 people who were seated before us. They were seated on the tier behind us. We were seated quickly enough and the food was as tasty as the last time we ate here. The band played as before and make the atmosphere much more lively.

However we were really very disappointed by the character interaction this time. The big crowd called and called and called for each character so that each time the character would start on our tier the CM guide would direct them to the big crowd. I can understand this in a way - if 17 people come in they are spending a lot of money and must be placated but everybody on our row was missing out. Added to this, one charcter was heading our way when a child came over from another table for a picture - the CM guide let them have a photo and then took the character backstage so we missed out again! After 8 different characters had been and gone we had still only seen 1 in our row so I did something I rarely do. I went and complained. :guilty: I don't like doing it and I did it very politely but I felt we were having a raw deal. The family next to me seemed to feel the same, only they got their waiter to call the manager and complained until he gave them a bottle of wine!
Anyway the next time they came out they did come to our row, but we had nearly finished by now.

I know this isn't usual as we ate here before and had a great time, but this has put me off slightly. Dtr really wants to go back, but I am not so sure. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter