The Lines App - Still Worth the Investment?

BK2014

DIS Veteran
I am returning to WDW in about 2 weeks. My TP subscription has expired, and I really do not need it except for possibly using the Lines App. Do people still find it to be more helpful than the MDE app?

We find that fewer guests use the lines app in the evenings so it often defaults to the posted wait times.

It may be worthwhile in the morning/afternoon when the parks are busier.

Wait a minute...people pay for an app to see wait times? Why?

It comes with a subscription to Touring Plans~ which gives you all kinds of info like touring plans, crowd calendars, a dining finder, room fax requests, etc etc.
The lines app that is included not only gives you the wait time posted by Disney, but also gives you an 'expected wait' time~ which tends to be more accurate than the posted time. I personally have used this on many trips and find the app worth the yearly subscription price~ which is minimal. It also gives you recommendations on whether to ride now or if it is predicted that lines will be shorter later. The app is very handy~ I love the layout of it~ very easy to use and can see so much for each park easily.

Personally, I think Touring plans is worth the small amount. As far as wait times, it really depends on the day and how many people are posting that day. i post as many as I can when I am there. I do find the wait times posted on touring plans are more accurate, if they are current.

The lines app is great while in the park. I remember my last trip I was at MK in Tomorrow Land and had a short period of time to burn. I asked on Lines how busy it was a Gaston's Tavern, cinnamon roll of course, and was told the line was out the door so I skipped it. Saved me some walking! The wait times are great too. It's pretty cool to see your actual wait times during the day.

I agree with the other posters, it's worth it. We used it frequently on our last trip, and it was pretty spot on. My favorite part is the ride now, or later feature. A co-worker is going with his family for the first time in a couple of weeks and I recommended it to him because we love it.

Yep, as much as I think the "crowd calendars" are snake oil, I do like the wait times app. As noted, it's not as good late in the evening due to lack of use. However, during the busiest times of the day, we find it better than MDE...though more often than not we do everything by FP+ anyway.

FWIW, on our last trip, we found the wait times on the Lines app where substantially off. I remember waiting for 25 minutes for Dumbo when Lines said it was only a 5 minute wait.

I love the Lines app. I've never used it the way it was intended - for touring plans or wait times. But, I love it for instant access to knowledgeable people when I'm at WDW. So, if I were at MK and couldn't remember the best spots for a parade, etc. I admittedly use it more when I'm not actually at WDW because of the chat...

The lines app was very accurate for our trip during Jersey Week. Numerous times the posted wait was over 30 minutes but the app would say 5 minutes or 10 minutes. We would get in line and the lines app was right. We never used MDE for waits.

I think it is. I like the personal plans that you can reevaluate as you go depending on wait times. The food menu works better on their app as well. Plus like someone else said you can get a pretty quick answer to questions while in WDW it's self. As far as crowd calendar part goes. I don't think anyone can predict if Disney is going to decide to short staff and lower ride capacity (seriously, they had comes in the people mover to make the line longer???)

I find it much more accurate and user-friendly than MDE for wait times. I also use the information on the site.

I try to remember to log posted and actual wait times. Last trip there was at least twice when we were in the standby line at POTC because I'd said that the posted time said 30 minutes but the expected time in Lines was 15. Both times when we got to the boats, my friend said that the expected time must be way off because it had taken at least 25 minutes or more. But when I posted my actual time, it was 16 minutes the first time and 14 the second time. He had to then admit that Lines was more accurate than the posted time and that his sense of time was way off.

I wouldn't call the nominal fee an investment. Paid access gives lets you into a bunch of useful info and notifications. In the overall cost of going to WDW it's barely even a rounding error.

Personally, I think Touring plans is worth the small amount. As far as wait times, it really depends on the day and how many people are posting that day. i post as many as I can when I am there. I do find the wait times posted on touring plans are more accurate, if they are current.

We have used the Personalized Touring Plans, the Dining Reservation finder, the Room Request by view, and many other features of TouringPlans as well as the Lines app in the parks. If I do a step by step touring plan I like the fact that you can mark something as done and it will refresh the wait and walk times to the succeeding attractions. It is worth every penny to us in Disney planning.

As others have said, it is relatively inexpensive for a year (less than a nickel a day) so IMO the amount of info, etc. is well worth that. I like that they will do room requests for you and all of that as well. The wait times may not always be super accurate, but they are likely to be more (in some places considerable so) accurate than MDE. Also, the app isn't near as animation/graphics intensive as MDE so it will load and work faster, which is nice especially when using resort/park WiFi which can get bogged down.

I've been using Touring Plans and the app since 2010 and wouldn't think of planning a trip to WDW without it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter