• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The great debate - DVC - Deluxe - Moderate - Value - or - Off site - how to choose...

Our friends live in GA, and were planning on flying in, they found it soooo much cheaper to rent a large SUV in GA, and drive down instead of flying renting 14 days, was just a bit more than renting for 10 days at the airport, and they are getting a bigger SUV... Their kids will be all flying in, using Uber to get to their resorts. They all live in different areas of the country.
I was going to suggest something similar to this but I don't know FL all that well. I do this in CO if I am there in the winter (They absolutely ream you if you rent out of DEN when there is snow on the ground); I fly into Denver, rent the cheapest car that can fit my family, drive 1 hour south to Colorado Springs, turn in the Denver car and rent a car, usually a large SUV, from the airport in Colorado Springs. We saved, no kidding, +$1000 for the week one time doing that AND we ended up with a massive SUV, not the compact we rented in Denver, and returned the SUV to Denver. I even called Avis in Denver and TOLD them I was going to do this, hoping they'd match the CO Springs price (Also Avis). Their answer; "sounds like a good idea, go ahead." Honestly I will never understand the monopoly that is rental cars. If they are going to play games though, count me in.

I was going to suggest the swan/dolphin except I think they do check wristbands at SAB. It would be great to have the rest of the family at the BC, everyone could use the kitchen, washer and dryer.
Yup. I was thinking that they could add the adults to the BCV reservation, but the occupancy limit for the 2BR at BCV is 8 people and they already have 5 guests staying there. So, that won't work even if they only check adults and not kids and I bet they check kids too. Bottom line: if the sisters and their kids want to swim at SAB they will have to be staying there.

I was offering S/D as an alternative to the rest staying at AoA, really. They’d be closer to eachother, and food options would greatly increase. Pool time together would continue to be an issue, although S/D has an amazing pool complex in its own right, as well as a beach and games, etc. If they can get into BC, then all the better. Last time at the Dolphin we had a room which slept 5 comfortably, it was more like two rooms, and a balcony, and their cots are more like a twin bed.

Wow! That was convenient that the boss had a 2-BR booked at BCV for 10 days in December. It was very nice of him to gift it to the son.

As for the daughters, I would suggest that they book studios at BCV instead. Some are available for cash on Disney's website. They are about $100 more per night and they are smaller than an AOA suite and they only have one bathroom but everyone will be together. The time actually spent in your room is not all that much and having a common base for a family vacation will be worth it. In addition, the son's 9-year old son will have his cousins around him instead of being alone with adults the whole time. Also, the kids are the perfect age for SAB and everyone can use it on the up-and-up. The 2BR can be a base of operations and gathering place. I know that many people do family vacations in separate resorts but I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

I was shocked when she told me that he gifted it to him, I was like WOW... apparently they shut the offices and plant down for any major maintenance project and new equipment that has to be installed. So this is when his boss and family head down to Disney... My friend said both of the Boss'es DIL are expecting at the end of the year, so they were not going to be able to go this year, so it all worked out. They did have to change some plane tickets, and time off at work...

The girls picked AOA family suite... this is where they wanted to stay. There's a bit of family dynamics in play, and really will work out for them in the long run

He wants to stay in a value, because of the cost... strictly... so 4 rooms - yet he is already fussing about the size of the room and lack of TS restaurant, pool and a proper bar for drinks...
Personally, I'm fine with a value hotel because we "Go Commando" at Disney ... we go, go, go and make the most of our park tickets. We don't see the point in paying BIG for a nice room AND paying BIG for tickets. We're much more likely to splurge on a nice place to stay when we do a beach or mountain trip, and we plan to "stay in" for nice family meals, game nights, etc.

You're thinking about the beds ... don't forget the bathrooms too.

The question is, What does this family intend to do at the resort?
Do they want to swim a lot? Do they want large, shared family meals? Their choice of activity is everything.
She on the other hand wants to stay at DVC and rent points...According to her, they can save money by staying in a DVC, and make meals... so that they can save on food cost... I asked her are you going to cook for everyone?
I agree she has a disconnect here. And if saving money on meals is the biggest issue, she can get a kitchen in an off-site condo/house a whole lot cheaper.
DVC isn't a great deal ... not when compared to a value resort or an off-site rental.
They are both opposed to staying off site, because then the cost of the rental cars come into play, and time to and from the parks wasted. They are renting one SUV, and this way they can run to the store, and the ladies can hit the outlet for some retail therapy.. I was shocked at what a SUV rents for 10 days... WOW!!
Several thoughts on rental cars:
- I agree that Disney transportation is the biggest reason to stay on site, and with a big group like this, that transportation is a great choice.
- Keep checking. When we did our Western parks driving trip, the cost of a rental was high ... so I was dragging my feet about making the reservation. One day I checked, and (for no discernable reason) it was like half price. I reserved and printed my information FAST.
- Consider that Uber is an option too. When you consider that Uber doesn't require $25/day parking, it's a pretty attractive option.
We have always stayed onsite, however; one year my mom and her husband and his family booked a house off-site so we stayed with them. It wasn't as bad as we expected.
Off-site isn't "bad" at all -- it's just a different type of trip. If you want a "go-go-go" trip, on site is great, but off site gives you some really good things:
- You'll have a living room /dining room for family gatherings.
- You'll have more bathrooms.
- You might reserve a place with a private pool.
- You'll have a kitchen of your own, which is a big money saver.
If my grandchildren refused to share a bed, my daughter could pay for her own room. Sorry, but paying for their room is a gift and should be accepted with grace rather than complaint.
Yep, I'm with you. If the grandparents are paying, they get to say what they're paying ... and the parents can decide whether they want to participate.
I'm one of five kids (3 boys, 2 girls), and when we stayed in a hotel or rental place, we got what we got: we almost always had a roll-away or brought sleeping bags or later on blow-up mattresses.
In fact, I might just book 4 offsite condos, one per family, and tell them to figure out their commuting costs (ubers or rental)...or as I said, get 2 vans/minivans if you want to stay cheap...you don't want folks ready to kill each other by day 5, and it sounds like the tweens/teens may be doing that with their parents if it's one room, one bathroom for each family.
That sounds pretty good to me. Four small condos (or two large ones) makes a lot of sense.

Personally, we're planning an extended family trip for 2022. I picked the condo, and I told my adult children up front what I'm paying: lodging, tickets, simple groceries (breakfast, sandwiches, first-night dinners in the condo), family lunch each day in the parks. I told my adult kids I want them to cover these things: driving their own cars to Florida, snacks and drinks for the condo, and parking (Uber to the Magic Kingdom). I also told them I want each of them to cook (well, they're more likely to do "take out") one dinner during the week.

They JUMPED at this deal and thought it was generous.
My friend and her DH, and their son, his wife and 9 year old son are staying at Beach Club Villa DVC, 2 bedroom ... The 2 DD's and their families, decided on AOA family suites ...
How nice of your son's boss! And a well-deserved perk for him. I'd be disappointed at having the family split up in two resorts though.
They also decided on a couple of TS meals during the trip, and the rest they are just going to wing it... Each couple wants a date night, so they will make their own ADR's, and so they are going to take turns watching each others kids. Looks like things are coming together nicely for them...
The important thing here is that they've agreed ahead of time on how they want to handle things ... better to decide up front rather than waiver once you're on the trip.

My suggestion would be to look at the cost to rent points at a Grand Villa. They sleep 12, so your friend and her husband get the master, two bedrooms with 2 queens each for two of the kids' families, and the kids who don't want to share a bed can sleep on the pull out couch or bring an air mattress. Then you can also rent a studio at the same resort. This would be the best option if they think they want to spend time together outside of the parks. The best point value would be the Treehouse villas, but they are out on their own nowhere near the studio rooms, so one family would be isolated. Animal Kingdom in particular is cheap and has enormous 3 bedroom villas.

If the grandkids are going to want to be in the parks all day, every day, then the cheap option would be to get value rooms and bring a few twin sized air mattresses for the kids. It'll be cramped, but in the new rooms you can fold up one of the beds when you're not sleeping.

My other suggestion, especially since they already have a car, is to look at the cottages at Margaritaville or a large Airbnb house. This will be the cheapest way to sleep all 13 people together. Offsite is truly the cheapest option for large families who need space, since Disney only goes up to 12 at the deluxe resorts and 6 at the value resorts. And Margaritaville is close enough that one group can Uber while the other takes the rental SUV.

OP here... I think that the reason they don't want to stay offsite is the cost of the rental cars, they would need 4 cars, or someone is going to be having to double up, and there is no way anyone of them is going to want to be without a car or share a car ... so that is a whole different ball game for sure...

I think they both want on site just because everyone can come and go and use transportation easily.. and they are not tied together...
The best way for them to save money in this situation is to ditch the 10 day rental van. They don't need it with Magical Express, and it's overpriced due to the current rental car situation. Not renting will save a good wad of cash that they can apply toward the room or to table service meals, etc. If the ladies need retail therapy in town they can get a taxi or Uber for that trip- no way is the cost of a 10 day van worth the ability to run a couple of stray errands without having to use taxi or uber.

I recommend a moderate for this group, maybe a 5th sleeper room at Port Orleans Riverside. The father already doesn't like the standard value room, and it doesn't suit the kids' ages- it will be really cramped & grumpy in there. With a 10 night trip they will need some resort down time, and having a room that actually fits everyone, plus access to a special pool with hot tub and water slide, will be something you can't get at a value.

Glad everything worked out well for your friend and family. To be gifted deluxe accommodations - wow! Hopefully everyone doesn't bring the laundry there to get washed, lol

The best way for them to save money in this situation is to ditch the 10 day rental van. They don't need it with Magical Express, and it's overpriced due to the current rental car situation. Not renting will save a good wad of cash that they can apply toward the room or to table service meals, etc. If the ladies need retail therapy in town they can get a taxi or Uber for that trip- no way is the cost of a 10 day van worth the ability to run a couple of stray errands without having to use taxi or uber.

I recommend a moderate for this group, maybe a 5th sleeper room at Port Orleans Riverside. The father already doesn't like the standard value room, and it doesn't suit the kids' ages- it will be really cramped & grumpy in there. With a 10 night trip they will need some resort down time, and having a room that actually fits everyone, plus access to a special pool with hot tub and water slide, will be something you can't get at a value.

Ours Friends live in GA... and the rental was much cheaper from there... and the did save some money on what plane tickets would have cost them.. As well now they are going to be hauling the loaded coolers, and some other stuff... Their DD and their families decided that they are going to go over to the Space Center... so it will all work out for the best...

Glad everything worked out well for your friend and family. To be gifted deluxe accommodations - wow! Hopefully everyone doesn't bring the laundry there to get washed, lol

I know how lucky they are... I think that their sons boss is so appreciative of what he did for him during the covid crisis, that is was able to keep the business up and running, plus made the business grow, kept everyone working, and made a ton of money along the way. I was talking to my friend, and apparently the guy has taken their son under his wing... His own sons don't want nothing to do with the business, they have different established career paths. Plus both DIL's being pregnant and due around the same time all plays into this...

We stay at POR/POFQ because it's in our budget, and we like the food court. We don't get table service dinners, we like to grab our food and eat in the room (in pyjamas). We've considered going to value resorts, but during the times of year we book, there's not generally a massive difference between the prices.

Also the values tend to have more children/families. We like kids, but we haven't got any (yet?) and we find POR/POFQ to be a little quieter. YMMV.

I'm doing my first solo trip in a few months and I'll be staying deluxe for the first time since my father paid for trips :yay: it's more than I want to spend, really, but I'm looking forward to being closer to the parks. And there's nothing wrong with a treat-- I've barely left the house since Rona reared her head so I figure I may as well step out in style.

So I was having a conversation with my friend, and helping with planning their trip for December... It is a family trip, My friend and her DH, her oldest DD/ SIL and 2 grandkids, 12 and 8 , Their DS and his wife and their 9 year old, and Youngest DD, Her boyfriend, and 11 year old twins...

Her and her DH do not agree on the resort plan ( they are paying for the rooms)... He wants to stay in a value, because of the cost... strictly... so 4 rooms - yet he is already fussing about the size of the room and lack of TS restaurant, pool and a proper bar for drinks...

She on the other hand wants to stay at DVC and rent points...According to her, they can save money by staying in a DVC, and make meals... so that they can save on food cost... I asked her are you going to cook for everyone? and how are you going to deal with all the different lifestyle choices Vegan, Keto, and only organic everything? Her answer is no... everyone can cook for themselves... to which I was like that will never work out.. Plus all the table service meals she is planning on, they are not going to be cooking... maybe eggo's for the kids, or a sandwich ... but not cooking a meal...

The 2 DD's says that a value room won't work for them, as the 12 year old and 8 year old will not sleep in the same bed boy and girl... and the twins are a boy and girl, and they will not sleep in the same bed...

They are both opposed to staying off site, because then the cost of the rental cars come into play, and time to and from the parks wasted. They are renting one SUV, and this way they can run to the store, and the ladies can hit the outlet for some retail therapy.. I was shocked at what a SUV rents for 10 days... WOW!!

My suggestion was they stay in a moderate, with the pull down... and the kids can rotate between the bed and pull down.. or at AOA in family suite, yet that would still be 4 rooms, and a large uptick in the cost.

How do you pick?
What is the best DVC off site for Magic Kingdom?

What is the best DVC off site for Magic Kingdom?

There are DVC resorts at the Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary (called Bay Lake Towers) - on the monorail, and at Wilderness Lodge.

Do understand what you are booking if you rent DVC points from a private owner. While there are a number of benefits in the pro column, the con column is not empty.

I was shocked when she told me that he gifted it to him, I was like WOW... apparently they shut the offices and plant down for any major maintenance project and new equipment that has to be installed. So this is when his boss and family head down to Disney... My friend said both of the Boss'es DIL are expecting at the end of the year, so they were not going to be able to go this year, so it all worked out. They did have to change some plane tickets, and time off at work...

The girls picked AOA family suite... this is where they wanted to stay. There's a bit of family dynamics in play, and really will work out for them in the long run

For a huge family vacation having some separation would probably be a good idea. We're taking our kids/Gk's/IL's and I only booked 3 nights! LOL

There are DVC resorts at the Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary (called Bay Lake Towers) - on the monorail, and at Wilderness Lodge.

Do understand what you are booking if you rent DVC points from a private owner. While there are a number of benefits in the pro column, the con column is not empty.

Sorry, I know this is a bit old, but I was wondering... What are the cons? We're thinking of renting DVC for our next trip since I've heard people raving about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter