The Good, The Bad, The Cancelled and The Surprising ... Our Take on Deluxe Dining!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariel1025

DIS Veteran
Hello :wave2:

My Husband and I recently spent 8 fantastic nights at Disney World on the Deluxe Dining Plan:thumbsup2 We spent many a night debating between no dining plan, basic dining plan, deluxe dining plan and repeat. In the end, we couldn't give up enough of the 2 credit places and/or breakfast choices and ended up sticking with the deluxe dining plan. So, how did we like it? Were we disappointed with our choices? Will we do it again?

All of that to come ... but first let's do some quick introductions :goodvibes

HPIM0841-1.jpg

My name is Shannon and I am a 27 year old accounting student and work full time. Doing Deluxe Dining was originally my idea and then, of course, I ended up being the one to question if it was a good idea or not once it was paid for :laughing: My loves of food include chicken, pasta, chocolate and creme brulee! I also like steak, but only if it's well done - practically burnt is even more appealing - and I HATE seafood and cranberries!

0333-3.jpg

That's my Husband of just over a year, Candido - but we all call him Candi for short. Well, actually I call him lovey bear - but I won't make you do that :lmao: He was the one who didn't think the Deluxe Dining was worth it - all he heard was the lack of change jingling in his pocket when it was paid for :rolleyes1 His love of food includes seafood, especially crab legs; steak, preferably still breathing - oh wait, I mean bleeding :sick: and caramel apples. Foods he hate include chicken and chocolate.

I'm still not sure how we are capable of eating dinner together every night :rotfl:

Ok, ok ... with formalities out of the way let's just go ahead and jump right in.

We arrived at our gorgeous hotel and decided the wait before dinner was too long and a snack was in order. I mean, afterall, we had refillable mugs and 2 snacks per night per person to get through. That's a lot of food without even thinking about the 3 meal credits per day :rotfl2:

To make it easy on ourselves we headed down to Roaring Forks in the Wilderness Lodge (we were staying in the Villas). We didn't want anything too big because we had reservations in 3 hours. I already knew what I wanted - I had been craving them since our honeymoon ended. Candi roamed around a little and finally settled on something that seemed good enough to get him through until dinner.

The cashier at Roaring Forks was super friendly and explained the process of the Deluxe Dining plan to us while she removed the "theft device" from our refillable mugs :confused3

All giddy with our first snacks in hand we made our way back to the Villas ..... and now, I present you with our first snack credits

DSC_0034.jpg

TA DA!!!!!!

Yes, I am a major nerd and had been craving veggies and Ranch. And, yes, I realize you can get them anywhere, but during our honeymoon I ate these every single night after the parks and having them now was like comfort food.

So, how did the anticipation hold up for me? Well, they replaced the strips of "adult carrots" with baby carrots and this made me sad :sad1: However, the celery and carrots were both super fresh and crisp. It was simple and satisfying, which is exactly what I wanted at the moment :thumbsup2

Candi said his chili had GREAT flavor but was way too greasy. This coming from a guy who enjoys his burgers and pizza dripping with grease as he bites into them ... is saying a lot about the chili.

To drink we had a Coke and a Root Beer ... yum, I love Root Beer!!!

With content bellies we decided to rest up until dinner .... Candi was dreaming of dancing crab legs in his head I'm sure :lmao: ... tonight we had reservations at Fultons!

Starting Credits:

Snack: 32 total (16 each)

Meal: 48 total (24 each)

Credits Used vs Cost:

Refillable Mugs - One each included in Dining Plan - $27.67 including tax

Veggies with Ranch & Bowl of Chili - 2 snack credits used - $7.23 including tax

Count me in! You guys are so cute!

Tell me...did you happen to eat one of the best pecan cinnamon rolls at Roaring Forks?

You guys are too cute, even if your hubby married a veggie craving NERD! :rotfl2:

Ok, I must be a nerd, too. I picked that type of snack at AK the day I was going to Party for the Senses last year, because I didn't want to get too full from a meal. :laughing:

The only thing I can say, is you ruin a perfectly good piece of beef. It assaults my Midwestern girl's soul to see how you like your meat cooked. :eek: :faint:

But you redeemed yourself by liking chocolate. ;)

Nice start!

Mmmmm...Chili. Starting this trip off with a bang I see!

I'm in for this trip. Looking forward to the report and story. :goodvibes

Great start - I'm like you, I've booked the Deluxe Dining Plan but I'm now starting to question it :rotfl2:

Count me in! You guys are so cute!

Tell me...did you happen to eat one of the best pecan cinnamon rolls at Roaring Forks?

MMMMMMMM....MUST......GO...TO...ROARING....FORKS...NOW!!!

Sadly, not I did not eat a pecan cinnamon roll - booking my next trip today just to try it :lmao:

Thanks for joining in :goodvibes

I am in ... great pics!

Thank you so much :flower3:

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to your next installment :)

Thanks, working on it now :thumbsup2

:welcome:

You guys are too cute, even if your hubby married a veggie craving NERD! :rotfl2:

Ok, I must be a nerd, too. I picked that type of snack at AK the day I was going to Party for the Senses last year, because I didn't want to get too full from a meal. :laughing:

The only thing I can say, is you ruin a perfectly good piece of beef. It assaults my Midwestern girl's soul to see how you like your meat cooked. :eek: :faint:

But you redeemed yourself by liking chocolate. ;)

Nice start!

Want to hear the saddest part? I'm actually a Midwestern girl too AND my father in law runs a ranch where he raises cattle to prepare for all the steak your heart desires for a living!!! :laughing:

Thanks so much for joining in :)

Can't wait to read your reviews!

:thanks:

Mmmmm...Chili. Starting this trip off with a bang I see!

I'm in for this trip. Looking forward to the report and story. :goodvibes

Don't worry there's plenty more chili to come :laughing: Thanks for joining!

Mmmmmmmmmmm ......... this sounds like a really good thread - I am in!! :goodvibes

Thanks and Welcome :goodvibes

Great start - I'm like you, I've booked the Deluxe Dining Plan but I'm now starting to question it :rotfl2:

Don't worry I regretted it until we ate our first meal and I realized it didn't matter what the heck the price on the menu said - I could have it all :woohoo:

great start :thumbsup2

Thanks!!:goodvibes

Ok, it's time to really get this party started party: It's Dinner Time!!!!

My Husband had been dreaming about Fulton's for, oh, around two years :laughing: You see, we had made a reservation to eat here last year for our honeymoon, but then the wedding stole all of our money and it was just to expensive for our wallets that year. I felt horrible about it, I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if there weren't any flowers at our wedding :lmao: so I promised him that when we came back Fulton's would be the first place we ate dinner at.

I'm not really one for breaking promises so when we were up at the booty crack of dawn making reservations I made sure he heard me ask for that reservation first. Though, I still don't think he believed me until we were walking through the doors giving the hostess our name :laughing:

So, without further ado, here is our take on Fulton's Crab House!

DSC_0046.jpg

We arrived a tad bit early and decided to see if we could be seated early. Hello, chili and carrots can only fill a belly for so long and we were STARVING!

The hostess was super friendly and said it wouldn't be a problem. She had barely finished her sentence before we were being led upstairs to our table. I had secretly been hoping that we would get a window seat, but, alas we were seated at the end of these long row of tables. You know, the kind with booth type seating on one side and regular chairs on the other side? Now, I'm somewhat of a fan of this type of seating, because I love the booth and Candi loves a regular table chair ... perfection :cloud9: It was extremely far from the window though which kinda saddened me. I'm sure I could have asked for a different table, but decided it wasn't that big of a deal and didn't.

Our server's name was Stephen and he was FANTASTIC! Our drinks were never less than half full and he kept the food coming at a perfect pace.

Stephen went over the specials of the day and then pointed out his favorites on the menu before asking if we would like to start with an appetizer. Ok, ya'll remember how I was still freaked out about dropping a booty ton of money on the Deluxe Dining plan right? Well, in case anybody isn't aware - Fulton's is NOT on the dining plan :scared1: All this said to say, we very sweetly declined an appetizer.

We did receive bread (sourdough) and butter along with a house made dip.

DSC_0050.jpg

As promised, I tried it because it was set on the table. I was a little scared because I really and truly dislike crab AND horseradish AND mustard, all of which were included in the dip. Much to my surprise, and unwillingness to admit, it wasn't that bad :laughing: And, I really liked the multi-grain crackers that came with the dip!

Candi's review on the dip? Nothing was left on the plate and he made me take home the recipe to re-create it for all our football parties this year :thumbsup2

Stephen came back around to see how we were doing and let us know that our entrees were on their way.

Now, I do have to stop here and say that as much as we were loving our meal it was being slightly strained by the family seating very "cozily" next to us at our booth/table. I understand that this is Disney World and there are kids galore. And I love kids - Heck, we're trying to have kids! But, I had at least 3 fettuccine noodles land on my lap from this little boy sitting next to us throwing his food. If that wasn't enough he starts running back and forth from his seat to his sister's seat and knocks our table and causes Candi's tea to tip all over his lap. Not exactly the romantic night out we had been hoping for :headache: I can understand that kids get restless especially when you have images of characters in your head, but the parents just LAUGHED about everything and didn't even apologize for their sons behavior :scared1:

Ok, rant over - back to the food, which much to our delight came right after the hyper boy and his family had paid for their check and left :rolleyes1

First up, Candi's meal

DSC_0052.jpg

Alaskan King Crab Legs - $39.99

First off, before he ever took a bite we both commented on how these were the largest crab legs either of us had ever seen. I swear one of the legs was as big around as my arm!! Candi's eyes practically glazed over with excitement when Stephen placed his plate in front of him :cloud9:

And how did he react after the first bite? Pure and utter joy, I believe his exact phrasing was "Oh my lord this is heaven on a plate." Truly, I'm not making that up - the kid could have eaten chicken nuggets for the rest of the week and still came back home and claimed he had the best food ever on this trip :rotfl2: He was instructed by Stephen to save the claw for last (he had never had crab claw before) and told he would not be disappointed. So that's exactly what he did. And how did he react to that? Silence - so elated with food joy that he could not even speak!

In the midst of Candi's heavenly meal I also received my meal

DSC_0051.jpg

Filet Mignon and a side of Asparagus - $34.99 and $6.95 respectively.

Stephen basically begged me to order it medium well and Candi was being a sly little dog and rooted him on in his quest. I'm a sucker for peer pressure (sad I know) and gave in. The filet mignon was served butterfly cut and smelled heavenly. I took one bite, with my eyes closed so I didn't have to see any pink on that piece of meat :rotfl:, and about squealed with delight when I tasted it. The steak practically melted in your mouth and had just enough flavor without being overpowering. This was when I almost broke our promise by not letting Candi taste something that was set on the table. In the end I gave in and gave him a bite just big enough for him to have a taste :lmao: He agreed that it was one of the best steaks we have ever had (shhhhh, don't tell his Dad who raises cattle for a living :littleangel:).

The asparagus you ask? It was asparagus, I love asparagus, and it was good. Nothing outstanding but they didn't ruin it or anything.

Stephen visited our table frequently throughout the meal keeping our drinks refilled and once to see if we wanted dessert. Just like the appetizers we very sweetly declined dessert. Although, this time not because it cost but because we had other plans for dessert later.

We left Fulton's Crab House very full and very happy.

DSC_0054.jpg

So, our overall take on Fulton's Crab House? FLIPPIN FANTASTIC :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 As if you couldn't guess already :rotfl:

We both agreed that it will be on the agenda for next time. Even though it is an out of pocket expense if you are on the dining plan, to us it was worth every last penny.

Total Spent:

$88.90 after tax but before tip (Don't worry Stephen received an outstanding tip ;)). No credits were used as this was a completely out of pocket meal.

Coming up next - Dessert time!!

Wow - great review of Fulton's.

It's someplace I always wanted to try but my mom is allergic to crab and when she's with me, I get a little paraniod. I know there are other things to eat there but it's cross contamination I worry about.

Your review is making me want to book it for my solo trip in December though. Mmmmm, crab dip.

Joinin' in and lovin' it!! Your review of Fulton's is making me want to add it as an OOP meal on our upcoming trip!!! I've never read a bad review of Fulton's so it's tempting!!! So much food, never enough time! LOL

Can't wait to read more!

Oh my goodness, does that sound yummy!!! :goodvibes

And truly, if you compare the prices around Disney, $88 isn't that bad for a meal there. Its not something you'd do every day, but its not like eating at Victoria and Alberts either!

(which is something I dearly want to do, but have to find someone who is an adventurous eater first!)

Definitely along for this one! You and your DH are adorable and your pics in your signature are FAB!:goodvibes Can't wait for morepopcorn::

Love your review of one of my favorite places!!!! We enjoyed Fulton's so much on our last trip we canceled another ADR to go back there again. We plan to have lunch there as soon as we arrive next week! Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!:thumbsup2

I am enjoying your review. It would have killed me to pay out of pocket when you already have the DxDDP! (I'm just frugal that way!) You must really love that guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter