The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Just to clarify, there are 3 different things; Genie, Genie (+), and ILL$.

Genie is just a free planning tool, you cannot book any rides with this.

Genie (+), or G+, is paid for by the day and is the most similar (not identical) to the old fastpass + system. You can buy this before 7am through the app. You can book your first ride at 7am.

Individual Lightening Lane Selections (ILL$) are separate, but also purchased via the app. If staying onsite, you can make ILL$ selections at 7am. You pay per person per ride; as an example, you can buy Guardians ILL$ at 7am if you are staying onsite. If staying offsite, you can buy when the park opens.
How early can you start booking rides with genie+?

Would highly recommend delegating tasks to teenagers.

You can buy 1 LLIA (extra individual rides like SDMT). If you have a park hopper you can book 1 in each park, so SDMT and FOP (if going to MK and AK). For LLIA you can choose the time (caution: from booking to final payment screen the selected time changes; if staying onsite front desk can fix issues). Resort guests can buy these at 7 am; offsite only at park opening.

on top of this you buy Genie+ for the rolling fast pass feature but are able to book the first pass (hopefully for sometime between 9-11 am. Resort and non resort guests both book at 7 am. Prioritize booking this first.

So technically you can still walk into the park with 3 booked passes but have to pay approx $45 per person to do so.

on checkin day you can also book passes (1 LLIA (2 if hopping) and watch out for Genie+ passes to go into the evening and then book evening passes. You can book a Genie+ pass every 120 mins if the pass you booked is over 2 hours away.

So we walked into Epcot at 4:30 pm having booked:

1. LLIA Remy (now book Guardians) (for 4-5 pm) at 7 am
2. G+ Frozen (waited until times pushed into evening 5-6 pm) at 10 am
3. G+ Test Track 6-7 pm at noon
4. G+ Mission Space 7-8 pm booked at 2 pm
5. G+ SE 4-5 pm booked at 4 pm (took skyliner and it broke down for 30 mins)

It takes time to book (boarding flight, airplane mode etc) so times will vary. Some sold out passes will show up again, so refreshing works.

https://smallworldbigfun.com/navigating-disney-genie-lightning-lane-attractions/
View attachment 695156
Nov is no longer a low crowd time. There are runDisney events in addition to Epcot food and wine and festival of the holidays and Christmas parties and Jersey week.

Free Genie is where you select rides that get pinned to the top of the tip board.

always check disboards AND the app for any crazy updates Disney throws last min and doesn’t notify (Park hours change 2 weeks prior)
So, has the list changed at all as far as what are ILL and Genie+ rides? That list helps a lot. Thank you

So, has the list changed at all as far as what are ILL and Genie+ rides? That list helps a lot. Thank you
This is the most up to date list and yes it has changed and is constantly evolving from what was offered before.

There are rumors of park hopping reservations so stay informed (I subscribe to DFB blog, WDW news today and watch recent YouTube videos - allears is detailed; before any trip). Touring plans (free) helps with dining (Stake out app worked for DL) and subscription helps with park hour changes and ADR releases for those hours.

I would check a day before you go if any changes are made.

This video is helpful to see the actual booking process;

Note: after this video was posted the rules for park hopping and genie+ changed so you now have to wait until times go up to 2 pm (you can only park hop after 2 pm) and can’t start stacking or booking for your second park until then.

So now you have to book and use Genie+ for first park 9 am-1:30 pm;

LLIA has not changed and can be booked for both/either park as you select times

This is good as well (edits: only 1 LLIA is allowed per park currently and you can’t stack in park 2 until wait times reach 2 pm+, so Genie+ no longer pushes times out to post 2 pm for park hoppers)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to ask this. I'm sure it's been asked numerous times. Can't find answer anywhere. Are you able to book LLs at 7am with basic genie? And how many can you book per day with basic genie (not genie+)? And if you do decide to purchase genie+, do you do that from app each morning while on vacation? Or is that purchased with package when you book the trip? This is insanity. I'm not sure who Disney thought this would be easy on...first timers, old timers. It isn't easy nor user friendly. I wouldn't even be attempting a trip back or doing all of this research, except my teenaged children want to return. We haven't been in 7 yrs. They remember the old system. I hope it is as enjoyable as it once was. We plan on visiting in November.
There’s a thread that I think will help you in addition to the info shared above, ‘Everything Genie…’ The first few posts break down what you need to know. Many contributed to this thread to help bring it all together.

In case this is helpful for anyone wanting to try stacking LLs, here is what we were able to do yesterday using G+
  • 4:00pm - arrived at Hollywood Studios
  • 4:25pm - Savi's (reserved 60 days out)
  • 5:10pm - Droids (reserved 60 days out)
  • 5:50pm - SDD(reserved at 7am)
  • 6:15pm - ToT (reserved at 10:30am)
  • 6:35pm - MMRR (reserved at 12:30pm)
  • 6:50-7:40pm - Dinner at Docking Bay 7 (order while family rode ToT, mobile pick up time 6:30-7pm)
  • 7:40pm - ROTR (ILL bought at 8:30am - we we are offsite guests)
  • 8:15pm - MFSM (reserved at 2:30pm)
  • 8:30pm - TSM (reserved at 4:30pm)
It was a great day! We basically did a big circle around the park so it didn't feel like a lot of zigzagging (logged 7.6 miles walking). The only thing we couldn't do was RNRC, but we are going back this weekend when we are there for the entire day and will ride it then.

In case this is helpful for anyone wanting to try stacking LLs, here is what we were able to do yesterday using G+
  • 6:50-7:40pm - Dinner at Docking Bay 7 (order while family rode ToT, mobile pick up time 6:30-7pm)
It was a great day! We basically did a big circle around the park so it didn't feel like a lot of zigzagging (logged 7.6 miles walking). The only thing we couldn't do was RNRC, but we are going back this weekend when we are there for the entire day and will ride it then.
This gives me so much hope! Awesome job, y’all!

Would highly recommend delegating tasks to teenagers.

You can buy 1 LLIA (extra individual rides like SDMT). If you have a park hopper you can book 1 in each park, so SDMT and FOP (if going to MK and AK). For LLIA you can choose the time (caution: from booking to final payment screen the selected time changes; if staying onsite front desk can fix issues). Resort guests can buy these at 7 am; offsite only at park opening.

on top of this you buy Genie+ for the rolling fast pass feature but are able to book the first pass (hopefully for sometime between 9-11 am. Resort and non resort guests both book at 7 am. Prioritize booking this first.

So technically you can still walk into the park with 3 booked passes but have to pay approx $45 per person to do so.

on checkin day you can also book passes (1 LLIA (2 if hopping) and watch out for Genie+ passes to go into the evening and then book evening passes. You can book a Genie+ pass every 120 mins if the pass you booked is over 2 hours away.

So we walked into Epcot at 4:30 pm having booked:

1. LLIA Remy (now book Guardians) (for 4-5 pm) at 7 am
2. G+ Frozen (waited until times pushed into evening 5-6 pm) at 10 am
3. G+ Test Track 6-7 pm at noon
4. G+ Mission Space 7-8 pm booked at 2 pm
5. G+ SE 4-5 pm booked at 4 pm (took skyliner and it broke down for 30 mins)

It takes time to book (boarding flight, airplane mode etc) so times will vary. Some sold out passes will show up again, so refreshing works.

https://smallworldbigfun.com/navigating-disney-genie-lightning-lane-attractions/
View attachment 695156
Nov is no longer a low crowd time. There are runDisney events in addition to Epcot food and wine and festival of the holidays and Christmas parties and Jersey week.

Free Genie is where you select rides that get pinned to the top of the tip board.

always check disboards AND the app for any crazy updates Disney throws last min and doesn’t notify (Park hours change 2 weeks prior)

Haven't been since April with my dh and usually travel with my mom. My upcoming trip in October is with my mom, dd and dgs-14 months so my attraction priorities are different and
we are going at baby's pace. I just wanted to thank you VERY much for this chart. I just printed it.

I am guessing there have been changes since April so I will have to read. We are onsite so hoping not too much has changed.

Thank you again!

What a great day! We've done similar with afternoon/evenings at HS.

In November, we'll do HS in the afternoon for a few hours before heading to MVMCP and was hoping to grab ROTR at 7am and MFSR with an afternoon return time. I'm wondering if the return times for MFSR at 7am won't be into the post 1pm slots? I suppose I can just wait because as long as I select before 9am I should still be able to grab my next LL at 11am? You getting MFSR at 2:30pm kind of surprised me!

The free version of Genie (what you're calling basic genie) will make suggestions on where to go. It does not reserve lightning lane times for you. It is supposed to take your preferences into account but what it actually does is make suggestions which will spread crowds out while ignoring your pinned attractions.

IMO, whoever penned the names for Genie, Genie +, Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes needs to go back to school to take a refresher course in marketing. The confusion that these terms create for guests is totally unnecessary and could have been avoided if they had just used different terms for very different things.

I agree 100% with the bolded part. The names they chose make the system a million times more confusing for people than it needs to be. Each of those 4 elements should have completely different names. Genie can be the name of the planning app (that makes sense), but nothing else should have the word Genie in it. Lightning Lanes would be ok as the paid ride reservation service (currently Genie+, formerly FP+), but the ILLs should have a completely different name -- or at least not use the word "Individual" along with Lightning Lane. It should be something like "Super Duper Lightning Lane" or something completely different like "Squeezing The Last Penny Out of You Ride" or "No, this ride is not included in your Lightning Lane package purchase. Yes, you need to pay extra for this ride." :D

I agree 100% with the bolded part. The names they chose make the system a million times more confusing for people than it needs to be. Each of those 4 elements should have completely different names. Genie can be the name of the planning app (that makes sense), but nothing else should have the word Genie in it. Lightning Lanes would be ok as the paid ride reservation service (currently Genie+, formerly FP+), but the ILLs should have a completely different name -- or at least not use the word "Individual" along with Lightning Lane. It should be something like "Super Duper Lightning Lane" or something completely different like "Squeezing The Last Penny Out of You Ride" or "No, this ride is not included in your Lightning Lane package purchase. Yes, you need to pay extra for this ride." :D
Why not Aladdin+

Hi Guys

I am heading to DisneyWorld at Spring break next year. I will need to do DHS and Epcot in one day,
Epcot looks easier to rope drop and I could Stack DHS for the afternoon. Just checking if anyone has experience on how many big rides I will be able to book with Genie+ before sell out. I will get an ILL for RoTR, main attractions I want to ride at MFSR, ToT, TSM, RR,.. I could take or leave SDD don't see what the big deal is.
Also interested in booking the droids building, not sure if need DHS reservation to book that in advance.

Basically will I get a 7, 10:30 and 12:30 Genie + booking for the rides above. or just 7 and 10:30

DHS is my priority so if stacking wont work on a crowd day predicted to be an 8, I would prefer to rope drop DHS, and just use Genie+ for epcot in the PM.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Totally agree with all of this!!8-) I have gotten to the point with my family that I just call Genie+ - "Fastpass", and ILL we just call Lightning Lane. Definitely makes it easier for us!

Somebody had to be drinking when they came up with these names!

What a great day! We've done similar with afternoon/evenings at HS.

In November, we'll do HS in the afternoon for a few hours before heading to MVMCP and was hoping to grab ROTR at 7am and MFSR with an afternoon return time. I'm wondering if the return times for MFSR at 7am won't be into the post 1pm slots? I suppose I can just wait because as long as I select before 9am I should still be able to grab my next LL at 11am? You getting MFSR at 2:30pm kind of surprised me!
So I think my luck with rides, esp ROTR and MFSR is totally because the crowds honestly seem relatively manageable right now. That said, DHS was sold out for the day we visited, but I have definitely noticed much more availability in the last few weeks, with a noticeable drop this week (third week of Aug when FL kids go to school). Maybe Disney reworked their algorithm? But I’m not complaining! Lol

Hi Guys

I am heading to DisneyWorld at Spring break next year. I will need to do DHS and Epcot in one day,
Epcot looks easier to rope drop and I could Stack DHS for the afternoon. Just checking if anyone has experience on how many big rides I will be able to book with Genie+ before sell out. I will get an ILL for RoTR, main attractions I want to ride at MFSR, ToT, TSM, RR,.. I could take or leave SDD don't see what the big deal is.
Also interested in booking the droids building, not sure if need DHS reservation to book that in advance.

Basically will I get a 7, 10:30 and 12:30 Genie + booking for the rides above. or just 7 and 10:30

DHS is my priority so if stacking wont work on a crowd day predicted to be an 8, I would prefer to rope drop DHS, and just use Genie+ for epcot in the PM.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I didn't go during Spring Break this year, but I was following lighting lane return times during Spring Break closely because I was expecting to go. I think you have a chance to get all four of those, but I also think it's possible you end up with three of the four. If you can live without Slinky I would skip it to try to make sure you can do the others.

Does anyone have any booking order suggestions for me, please? Two days back to back we plan on starting at HS and hopping to Epcot. Priority is getting on guardians. Will pay for genie + and ILL. Just not sure which I should be doing first, or what rides should have my 7am attention at HS. Thank you!

Does anyone have any booking order suggestions for me, please? Two days back to back we plan on starting at HS and hopping to Epcot. Priority is getting on guardians. Will pay for genie + and ILL. Just not sure which I should be doing first, or what rides should have my 7am attention at HS. Thank you!
A lot will depend on what your preferred rides are at HS, if you are an on-site guest and if you intend to do early entry rope drop. If I wanted SDD, that would be my priority right at 7 AM. It goes out into late afternoon/early evening very quickly. If ROTR is a must-do, purchase ILL$ rather than trying for standby. Two hours after official park opening, grab your second G+. MMRR or MFSR are good choices as is ToT. Again, it will depend on what's available and what meets your plans for hopping to Epcot. You can refresh over and over if favorable times don't pop up at first. I would not fixate on getting one particular attraction but have 2 or 3 options in mind. What you don't get on your first HS day, you can try for on your second day.

For GotG, be aware that you cannot try for a boarding group until after 2 PM if Epcot is not your first park. The boarding groups that open at 1 PM have still been available after 2 PM lately but every day can be different and you didn't say when you will be going. If you want to guarantee that you will ride GotG then you will need to purchase an ILL$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter