The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 6/12 (KSC and DTD)

I love the whole Junior Ranger concept and that they are learning all about the parks and history and having a sense of pride and ownership of our National Parks. Way to go on that one.

That ranger seemed pretty cool, I can't imagine having to put up with tourist all day and still having a sense of humor about it all. Plus the heat.

The food, yummy, I would like the Frito's on a burger also but I would have to skip to BBQ sauce.

The pool time seems like a great way to end the day and to cool off. Plus looking at that backdrop had to be pretty darn sweet.

Great food and a pool with amazing background! Sounds like a perfect vacation evening to me!

We really needed both the food and the pool break. That heat took so much energy out of us.

Oh - and becoming Junior Rangers as well! I really liked the story about how the rangers talked about graffiti having historic value and therefore getting a different side to it. It is a good example of how dangerous it is to talk in absolutes without having regard for the concrete situation. :goodvibes

What? You mean I can't form a position on an issue based on hearsay and a few soundbites? I have to actually listen to the opposite perspective? I can't just assume that I'm right and everyone else is wrong? But that's so un-American. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Aww, look at cute little Drew sitting there gnawing on a water bottle and waiting on his big brothers and sister to be sworn in. Cute little thing!

He certainly looks much cuter chewing on a water bottle than the rest of us do.

Loved the fact that the Ranger didn't miss a beat when you threw him the line about drawing all over everything in the park. Gotta love a good sense of humor.::yes::

Right up there with the best CM's at Disney.:thumbsup2

Well, of course, the food was good. Did you see all that crap on the walls? Scotty sure knows how to call 'em. :thumbsup2 The frito loaded burger sounds like something that would be right up John's alley. He likes to smash up potato chips and put them on sandwiches.

Philly style! I do that once in a while too.

I admire the fact that you are teaching your kiddos the important things in life like how to take a fake punch. They need those kind of skills to make it in the real world. :p

My first task was to teach them all how to properly throw a baseball. Then we moved on to throwing/taking fake punches. So all we have left is belching the alphabet, and then I'm pretty much done with my fatherly duties. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

First let me say that Baby Drew is adorable!

::yes:: Takes after mommy.

Awesome update, Mark. We are going to a restaurant called The Counter tonight where you create your own burger (I always get onion strings on mine), but I am going to see if they have fritos...that looks so yummy.

So did you try it? It's different, that's for sure.

A good call on the pool for the night instead of going back for another hike. It looks like all the kids had a good time in the pool...including the big kid.

They needed the break! I'm sure the pool appealed to them much more than hiking in the heat.

Wait - I see 4 kids here, not 3. Boy did Drew grow up fast. Oh wait.....:rolleyes1

She's onto me.

What a perfect day! Love that the kids had the perfect ranger for their junior ranger badges. Nothing like an enthusiastic teacher.

We only had one lousy experience with a ranger. That's coming later. Most of them were really great.

Love the dinner location. Any shout out to Pedro is OK in my book. :thumbsup2 Plus the food looks great. Now about those fritos.......:rotfl:

I know, right? So awesome!

Love the hotel. It looks perfect. What a great way to end the night.

It was a pricy place to stay, given that it was high season. But it was really nice.

I just learned that once you are 62 you can get a lifetime national park pass for $10. How great is THAT? I happen to be married to someone who is pretty darn close!

Such a fantastic deal! Almost makes me wish I was older...almost.

What a nice evening! Congrats to the kids on their Junior Ranger status!

:thumbsup2

Mmmmm, Fritos on a burger?! Sounds awesome! I love Fritos! (and burgers are good too :rotfl:)

So Fritos + burgers = heaven.

We love Hampton Inns and that looks like a great one - love the scenic pool and the fireplace there too. Good call on having some swim time - looks like everyone had a lot of fun!

If they're disappointed when you leave, it must have been a good time.

Having a great ranger makes it all worth it even if baby Drew is left gnawing on a water bottle. :lmao: At least he was happy.

We're saving a lot of money by not buying toys. We just give him used water bottles and cardboard boxes. He's happy enough with them.

Oscar's looks like a wonderful dining experience. Those burgers look HUGE and I did get a giggle over that sign.

One of our favorites on the trip!

I am a Hampton Fan too and that would be on the list if I ever get out there. Nice location, beautiful scenery and a cool pool and fireplace to boot.

I don't think we could have found a nicer place to stay.

MEK - I also though of 4 kids.... :rolleyes1

Nothing wrong with fake punching and falling into the pool. How else can you learn how to fall safely? :rotfl2:

Exactly. See, somebody gets it. :rolleyes1

I can't believe I didn't comment here. That's what I get for reading from my phone. I would have ordered the Murder Burger, either that or the Cheesesteak. Your choices all looked good though as well. We might have to visit this place!

I'm glad to see the Hampton Inn has such a great view. I have a feeling we may be staying there in the future. I'm sure the pool was a lot more fun than a death march in the heat!

I couldn't have a sense of humor with tourists all day, that Ranger sounds like a lot of fun while still keeping it real.

Good calls, all around, even letting Drew chew on the bottle!

More like a guide line…
I’ve unfortunately encountered a few exceptions.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't want to crush Scotty's spirit by pointing out exceptions. Still, places with crap on the walls tend to draw us in.

I have a niece with nearly identical ordering habits.
And… she’ nearly 21 now so, young’ens don’t necessarily grow out of that type of behavior.

I am a card-carrying member of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" society. That being said, there's more to life than mac-and-cheese.

That… looks mighty good.
I’d have let them douse the thing in the chili verde, but it looks mightily good in either case.

Normally it is doused in chili verde. Julie wasn't sure she'd like it, so she went with the safe option.

Shocked… SHOCKED, I tell you.

::yes::

Nice choice there.
I’d have had a difficult time not ordering the “Oscar Burger” myself but the “Avocado Chip Burger’ looks right tempting as well.

I think this is one of those places where it would be fun to work your way down the menu.

Yah…
A foodie would have had them slap a fried egg on top of that.

I'm not opposed...:rolleyes1

Good enough for me…
We’ll add that one to the list of places that need to be visited.

Someday…

Maybe…

If we ever get out there…

Well…
At least I y’all had a good time there.

Ok, I’m just gonn’a go over there and hang my head in shame now

Like the t-shirt says, Just Do It!

That is an excellent idea sir.

“One of”?
Right… “one of”.

:rolleyes1

seriously-1.jpg

Inconceivable!

::yes::
Maybe not until they have their own kids, but they will realize it at some point.

We're not as dumb as we look!

I love the whole Junior Ranger concept and that they are learning all about the parks and history and having a sense of pride and ownership of our National Parks. Way to go on that one.

I think it's a cool program too! And it keeps the kids from getting bored while mom and dad check out the scenery.

That ranger seemed pretty cool, I can't imagine having to put up with tourist all day and still having a sense of humor about it all. Plus the heat.

Pretty much the same job as a Disney CM!

The food, yummy, I would like the Frito's on a burger also but I would have to skip to BBQ sauce.

No BBQ sauce? Isn't that un-American or something?:rotfl2:

The pool time seems like a great way to end the day and to cool off. Plus looking at that backdrop had to be pretty darn sweet.

It doesn't get old, does it?

I can't believe I didn't comment here. That's what I get for reading from my phone. I would have ordered the Murder Burger, either that or the Cheesesteak. Your choices all looked good though as well. We might have to visit this place!

I don't think you'd be disappointed!

I'm glad to see the Hampton Inn has such a great view. I have a feeling we may be staying there in the future. I'm sure the pool was a lot more fun than a death march in the heat!

I know you love your Hampton Inns. This was really a nice one. I have a few pictures of the inside coming up.

I couldn't have a sense of humor with tourists all day, that Ranger sounds like a lot of fun while still keeping it real.

He was really cool. I think it's a lot like my job, having to maintain professional cool and a helpful demeanor while dealing with all sorts of people.

Good calls, all around, even letting Drew chew on the bottle!

Great finish to the day. You can never go wrong with a burger joint with crazy crap on the walls. You seemed to have chosen very well.

The Hampton Inn looks pretty cool. Kind of neat to see a chain hotel with a look that goes against the franchise grain. And yeah the view is awesome.

I'm glad all of the kids (you included) got to have some fun in the pool. I applaud your efforts to share your vast knowledge about how to take a punch. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Drew could totally be a Gerber baby with those amazing cheeks:cutie:

What an awesome ranger he is to entertain the kids...and the adult kids ;)

Glad the restaurant was a huge hit for you guys! The decor is amusing. I especially love the "My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend and I Miss Him" sign :lmao:

Wow! Such a cool hotel and so picturesque. Looks like everyone had a good time in the pool!

Great finish to the day. You can never go wrong with a burger joint with crazy crap on the walls. You seemed to have chosen very well.

You-Have-Chosen-Wisely1.png

The Hampton Inn looks pretty cool. Kind of neat to see a chain hotel with a look that goes against the franchise grain. And yeah the view is awesome.

I thought so too. I like it when a chain will make an attempt to go with local character. I'll post a couple of other pictures to show off the WL vibe inside.

I'm glad all of the kids (you included) got to have some fun in the pool. I applaud your efforts to share your vast knowledge about how to take a punch. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 We teach what we know, right?

Drew could totally be a Gerber baby with those amazing cheeks:cutie:

He's very squeezable! :crowded:

What an awesome ranger he is to entertain the kids...and the adult kids ;)

I certainly thought so. :thumbsup2

Glad the restaurant was a huge hit for you guys! The decor is amusing. I especially love the "My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend and I Miss Him" sign :lmao:

You will go far with me if you show you have a sense of humor!

Wow! Such a cool hotel and so picturesque. Looks like everyone had a good time in the pool!

We did! It really was a great spot!

Hey everyone, sorry it's been so long since my last update. Things got crazy at work for a little while, and then we took a long weekend to go up to New Hampshire to visit my brother and let Baby Drew meet his young cousin for the first time. So the result has been an absence from the DISboards. We'll try and get back up to speed soon!

Page 16... (pay no mind to this. It is a page marker for myself)

Buhhhhhhhhhwwaahhhhhhhh!!!!!

After seeing Drew in person, he can totally pull this off.:lmao:

Captain’s Log: Monday, 21 July 2014.

1:15 p.m.Rather than turn this into a trip report where I post Every. Single. Picture. We. Took. On. The. Trip. Even. If. They’re. Bad. Or. 14. Versions. Of. The. Same. Picture, I’ll try and do my best to stick with the highlights. But there are a lot of highlights. The unique formations combined with the extremely clear air and the ability to see for miles in the distance makes for some truly striking views.
Hey, I'm enjoying the pictures. Post away!

1:20 p.m.—By far Julie’s favorite overlook is the one called Natural Bridge. Here we have another misnomer, as it’s actually an arch. An arch is formed when the forces of wind erosion create a hole in rock that gradually widens over time, whereas a natural bridge generally spans a valley and could be at least partially formed by a waterway. Anyway, I think Julie took roughly 80,000 photos here.

IMG_5559.JPG
Was there anyone swinging from it?

Why is that important? Because the kids are trying to become Junior Rangers.
Is this a paid position? :confused3

Each National Park has a Junior Ranger program. They’re basically designed to keep the kids from getting bored while mom and dad snap thousands of pictures (see above) at the overlooks. The kids pick up an activity book from the visitor center, and there are different activities they have to complete based on their age. They might include word puzzles, or fill-in-the-blanks quizzes where they have to find the answers in the exhibits, drawings, etc. They are typically required to attend one ranger talk as well, and the ranger has to sign off on their attendance. If they complete all of the assigned activities, they return to the visitor center where another ranger will check their work (they spend a good amount of time with the kids on this), and then swear them in as Junior Rangers. They also get a little plastic park ranger badge to wear proudly , displaying the name of the National Park where it was earned.
So it's basically KidCot? :lmao: :lmao:

Dave announces to me, “I need to use the bathroom.”
I literally just choked on my own spit. I got to witness this too! :lmao:

They have revised the statement on the sure things in life to include death, taxes, and Dave needing to take a dump in an inconvenient location.
Like a small New Haven pizzeria with one stall and 8 people waiting to use the can? :rotfl2:

“Okay,” they say, and block off the door anyway. I sure hope he’s ok in there.
Wow... even the janitor was worried? What was in that bathroom before Dave got in there? :eek:

Perfect reading material for you!

The pies are excellent. Both are some of the best restaurant pies I’ve ever had. Seriously, you would be totally justified to skip dinner and just make a meal out of the pie at this place. Call me a bad DIS-er because we were too busy inhaling it to take food pictures.
Well, with the huge writing on the building telling you to eat pie, you knew they had to be good.

Speaking of pie, Julie owes me pie for life. When will I be receiving my first pie?

I have a great winning streak going on here. Dole Whips for life and pie for life. :banana:

This is awesome... unless you are truly trying to find out their hours. :rotfl:

Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse.
I think Dave would approve. :thumbsup2

At some point, Julie has to feed the baby. So I take the other kids and we decide to wander down one of the trails, just to see what it’s like down amongst the rock walls. We take a trail into a section known as Wall Street, due to the rocks feeling like skyscrapers next to you.

IMG_5629.JPG
That's really cool.

Does that trail look steep? Because it really feels steep when climbing out. And that couldn’t possibly be due to the fact that I’m an out-of-shape lardbutt.
No need to comment here... you covered it.

8:02 p.m.—Yeah, right. This is the Baby Who Never Sleeps. He’s getting fussy.

8:45 p.m.—Mercifully, the bat lecture comes to an end. I’ve been battling Baby Drew off and on for 45 minutes and am exhausted. Julie nurses him a bit to calm him down, and of course he drifts off lovingly in her arms. Little punk.
See, the problem is you shouldda whipped out your breast and nursed him. Amateur.

If you do, you might be rewarded with a shooting star.

IMG_5689.JPG
That is so awesome! Great shots!

This evening was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Even without the ranger program, I was glad we’d stayed up to watch the stars. The kids had never seen shooting stars before, and it was a treat to hear them shout when they spotted one. Not only was it a wonderful night full of good memories, but a worthy reminder that sometimes we need to get outdoors, get away from all of the worries of life, and just sit quietly, drinking beer in a universe that is bigger, more beautiful, and more mysterious than any of us could ever hope to understand.
Fixed! :thumbsup2

Family time always comes first. And selfishly, your report is one I am NOT behind on.

no problems here, family is first!

:thumbsup2 I finally have an update coming up!

Page 16... (pay no mind to this. It is a page marker for myself)

You don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

Buhhhhhhhhhwwaahhhhhhhh!!!!!

After seeing Drew in person, he can totally pull this off.:lmao:

We're going to give it a shot!

Hey, I'm enjoying the pictures. Post away!

But that chapter's done and over with now.

Was there anyone swinging from it?

I don't think anyone had had enough beer yet.

Is this a paid position? :confused3

Government positions are rarely paid.

So it's basically KidCot? :lmao: :lmao:

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: Exactly!

I literally just choked on my own spit. I got to witness this too! :lmao:

Well, I'm glad one of us thinks it's funny. :sad2:

Like a small New Haven pizzeria with one stall and 8 people waiting to use the can? :rotfl2:

:sad2::faint:

Wow... even the janitor was worried? What was in that bathroom before Dave got in there? :eek:

Do you really want to know?

Perfect reading material for you!

Definitely timely reading material!

Well, with the huge writing on the building telling you to eat pie, you knew they had to be good.

Speaking of pie, Julie owes me pie for life. When will I be receiving my first pie?

I have a great winning streak going on here. Dole Whips for life and pie for life. :banana:

Didn't you see that I amended the deal? You get a free baby. Congratulations!

This is awesome... unless you are truly trying to find out their hours. :rotfl:

They were open when we arrived. That's all that matters.

I think Dave would approve. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

That's really cool.

Agreed.

No need to comment here... you covered it.

Agree--hey, wait a minute!

See, the problem is you shouldda whipped out your breast and nursed him. Amateur.

I would, but the well is dry. Also, ouch!

That is so awesome! Great shots!

I will pass it on to the photographer!

Edits approved!:thumbsup2

Family time always comes first. And selfishly, your report is one I am NOT behind on.

Yay! Update coming right up!

12:23 a.m.—Guess who’s awake?

3:07 a.m.—You’ve gotta be kidding me.

6:23 a.m.—Bleh.

6:30 a.m.—Well, I’m not getting any more sleep. How do the kids sleep through that racket, anyway?
Maybe he thinks he's in the war and needs to keep watch. :scratchin

9:00 a.m.—Took a while to get going, but we’ve finally checked out of the hotel and are on our way. We have to re-trace our steps somewhat, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We get to drive through Red Canyon again, so here’s a better picture of the rock tunnel:

IMG_5695.JPG
Look kids, the back side of a tunnel!

The tunnel was built in 1936, when cars were much smaller than they are now. As a result, the park operates it like a one-lane road, with one direction of travel allowed through at a time. So…we wait. As you can probably guess, I’m praying that Dave’s bladder will hold out.
Glad you went to Hawaii and got some 1 lane driving experience there.

We head out of the park we just entered and take the first left, bypassing ample shoulder space on the main road and following a sign to “Zion Overflow Parking”. It’s a parking lot next to several shops and a movie theater. There’s a very small sign at the entrance informing me that the fee for parking here is $10 for the day, and could I please pay in the shop next door? Violators will be towed. Naturally, the visitor center parking lot would have been free.
Live and learn.

Drew doesn't seem to have any problem sleeping now.

1:15 p.m.—The program is still going, but I return and let Julie wander. This proves to be a good decision, as she returns several minutes later with ice-cream sandwiches for everyone and a smoothie for herself. This also proves once again that she is a better person than me. But you knew that.
Thank God for your wife. :thumbsup2

IMG_5751.JPG

I suppose I should be happy that most of us are smiling.
Hey, it a good picture. Know anyone with photoshopping skills?

2:54 p.m.—Meanwhile, after much grunting and straining, Baby Drew poops. Thanks, kid. Now I have to change you on a rock.
:rotfl2:

Also, Scotty decides he really does want to go on now.
Of course he does!

I tell him it’s too late. I don’t mean to be harsh, but I figure the others are already on their way back by now. And I also want to teach him that when you quit on something, you miss out.
Oh, you're mean! :rolleyes2

3:00 p.m.—We meet up with Sarah, David and Julie and they rave about how wonderful the end of the trail was, which I’m sure makes Scotty feel better. You snooze, you lose, buddy. Is that too mean?
Ohhh, you're really mean. :rotfl:

3:15 p.m.—On the way back, we stop at the same bend in the river. Here’s what we were going for.

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg
Great views!

Julie took this shot to give a sense of the scale of the canyon.

IMG_5780.jpg
Amazing!

We’d planned a couple other stops and hikes, but due to the heat and our sheer exhaustion, we’ve decided to sit and ride all the way back to the visitor center. The shuttle bus is a little frustrating in that you can’t just stop wherever you want to take a picture. It feels very limited. Also, due to the nature of the road and the valley, it feels like you’re really only getting a small glimpse of the grandeur of the park by sticking to the shuttle system. To experience Zion, you really need to get out and hike it, and we’ve tried but conditions have made it hard to go on.
It's ok.... we forgive you. :flower3:

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

4:40 p.m.—Between the swearing-in ceremony and our wandering through the gift shop (I found a Zion workout t-shirt bearing the phrase, “Take A Hike!”), we’ve spent plenty of time in the visitor center.
Let me save you some money... buy this number sticker. It costs a whopping $.50!

item_detail.cfm

Pic fail... try this link

Just like the LEGO Movie, everything was awesome. And we were so hungry, we didn’t leave anything for scraps. Sarah and I loved every bite of the burgers, while Julie couldn’t stop raving about the burrito. This ended up being one of the best meals of the trip. We have decided to award Oscar’s Café one of our coveted Drooling Homer Excellence in Unpretentious Dining Awards.
Glad dinner was up to your standards... it looked ready good!

Time to check into the hotel. Tonight, we’re staying at the Hampton Inn of Springdale. It’s brand-new to the area, having just opened within the last year or two. And it’s pretty swanky--it has a nice Wilderness Lodge-vibe to it. Nice location, for one.

IMG_0585%255B1%255D.JPG
Nice looking hotel!

8:12 p.m.—Sadly, we call the kids in for the evening. They’re not happy with us. The problem is, Mommy and Daddy know they’re going to putz around the room as much as possible before bedtime and it will be 9:00 before we finally get them down and into bed. One of these days they’ll realize they can’t fool us, because we used to be kids a long time ago. We know all the tricks.
Good idea giving the kids some downtime. The views from the pool are just stunning.

Hey, whatta ya know.... I'm all caught up! :cool1:

Captain’s Log: 23 July 2014.

12:07 a.m.—Take a wild freakin’ guess.

3:22 a.m.—Seriously contemplating putting Ny-Quil in a bottle.

7:00 a.m.—Who wants breakfast?

IMG_5850.JPG

The Hampton Inn has a typical hotel breakfast layout, but everything here tastes really good. I finish up early and decide to wander the lobby while everyone else is still eating. I really like the rustic Wilderness Lodge-type vibe they have going on.

IMG_5851.JPG

7:30 a.m.—We’re packed up and on the road again! We wanted to leave early for two reasons. One, this is going to be one of our longest driving days of the trip. And two, we have another destination in mind that would benefit from the Rope Drop strategy.

We head back into the park. Good morning, Zion.

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

We head back up the gorgeous drive cut into the side of the mountains and into the tunnel where we had entered the day before.

7:48 a.m.—Just on the other side of the tunnel, right by the east entrance, is a small parking lot. It fills up quickly, so it’s a good idea to get there early. In this case, we’ve achieved our goal and there are several spots available. This is the trailhead for the Canyon Overlook Trail. The trail is approximately one half-mile (one way), climbing and then clinging to the side of some hills to reach an overlook giving a view of…well, let’s not give the whole show away already.

Julie’s nervous about the trail. We’ve looked at some pictures online, and it has everything you could possibly want in a hiking trail: a climb up a rock face, sheer drop-offs right at the edge, rickety bridges, caves…I mean, who wouldn’t want to try that, especially while carrying a 6-month-old baby?

Well, Julie wouldn’t. I was fully prepared to strap the baby carrier backpack on and continue full speed ahead, but Julie wasn’t comfortable with that idea. The trail does have railings against the biggest drop-offs, but still, she wasn’t feeling it. I didn’t want her to miss out on the views, but she said she didn’t think she’d be able to enjoy it if she was anxious about the baby the whole time. So she told me to go on ahead with the big kids while she stayed behind to nurse the baby and let him nap in the van.

7:57 a.m.—The steepest climb on the trail is right at the beginning. You go up a series of switchbacks to climb the face of the rock. Here’s a view of the tunnel entrance as we climb. The parking lot for the trail is just to the left of this picture.

IMG_5862.JPG

As we move along, we encounter rock overhangs, narrow paths along canyon edges…

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

Rickety, slightly unstable wooden bridges threatening possible doom…

IMG_5872.JPG

Partial caves…

IMG_5873.JPG

…and the four of us agree that this is easily one of the coolest, most fun hikes we’ve ever done in our lives.

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5877.jpg

A half mile isn’t too terribly far to walk. It’s just enough to make it feel like you’re working towards a goal. And that goal lies at the end of the trail:

IMG_5878.JPG

Sometimes in life, you get a glimpse of God’s creation that is so perfect a work of art that it becomes pointless to try and put it into words. In these cases, it’s best to just shut up and take it in. So if you don’t mind (and really, why would you?), I’ll do just that.

IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

I don’t know exactly how long we stood there, taking in the view. I do know that we took approximately 14,605 pictures. And we did actually find a fellow tourist capable of framing me and the kids in the shot without obscuring the scenery. If you recall, earlier I had said that Zion is really a hiker’s park. You need to get out on the trails to truly appreciate what the park has to offer. There is no finer example than this spot.

8:40 a.m.—We make our way back down the trail to find a calm, serene Mommy and a happy baby waiting for us.

IMG_5902.JPG

8:45 a.m.—We’re on the road again. We’re sorry to leave Zion behind, but there are even more treasures to come. We’re heading to the Grand Canyon.

When planning the trip, we knew this was going to be a tough day. From the east entrance of Zion, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon is 5 hours by car (See map here). There’s one road. And you have to drive all the way around the canyon through 100-degree temperatures in the Arizona desert to get there. The road is just a 2-lane back country highway, and much of the drive looks like this:

IMG_5911.JPG

So, yeah. We’re talking a daunting task here. The good news is, the kids have plenty of electronics to distract them, Drew has plenty of plastic water bottles to chew on, and the bridge over the Colorado River is a good place to stop halfway to have our usual gourmet lunch.

9:52 a.m.—We’re back in Arizona. We’re moving along pretty well. You’re not going to believe this, but Dave has to go to the bathroom. Thankfully, we’re in the middle of nowhere, there’s not a lot of traffic, and David is a boy. We use this time to reinforce the lesson that for boys, the world is your toilet.

10:38 a.m.—We pass right by the entrance to Grand Canyon National Park.

IMG_5915.JPG

No, really. This is the entrance to the North Rim. Julie and I debated this long and hard. I have been to the North Rim—many, many years ago in my youth. Julie has never been there, and of course neither have the kids. This is the only road you can take to get there, and it is so remote that only 10% of the visitors to the Grand Canyon actually make it to the North Rim.

We really, really, really wanted to go. The problem is, the road is 42 miles one way before it dead ends at the North Rim overlook and lodge. So unless you book a stay there, you’re driving an extra 2 hours out of your way, not including time spent at the overlook. Given that we already had to drive 5 hours total, we thought adding the North Rim would be too much with a baby in the car. It feels like we’re missing out. The views from the North Rim are more lush and green than the more famous spots to the south. It’s much quieter and a more remote experience. Who knows when we’ll ever get back there? Alas, we’ll just have to come back someday.

11:00 a.m.—Once we leave the pines of the Kaibab National Forest, we descend into the desert. The view gets a lot more interesting here, as we drive along the outer edge of Vermillion Cliffs National Recreation Area. We snap a picture here that looks to me like a classic Road Trip shot:

IMG_5921.JPG

11:38 a.m.—We’ve made it as far as the Colorado River. So far, everything has been going exceedingly well. The ride has been fairly quick and uneventful, the kids are behaved, no one is screaming at anyone else in the car, no one is backseat (or sideseat) driving, and there have been no more unscheduled bathroom stops for anyone in particular. The plan is to stop at the parking lot/visitor center for the Navajo Bridge, the distinctive span that crosses the Colorado. This is another spot that I checked out ahead of time on Google Earth and thought to myself, “Self? That would make a perfect place to stop for lunch.”

We pull up to the entrance and—

IMG_5923.JPG

Well. That’s inconvenient. Now what do we do?

11:40 a.m.—We cross the bridge. Just on the other side is another parking lot, leading to some tents where Native Americans are selling jewelry and other crafts. I guess this will have to do for lunch. Luckily, there’s a path going up to the bridge so we can still check it out on this side. So all in all, things are just fine. As I said, they’re going exceedingly well. Julie and I are very pleasantly surprised at how easy this drive has been to this point, given how much we were dreading it earlier. Nothing can stop us now!

IMG_5930.jpg

Wait, was his shirt always that color?

I’m pretty sure the car seat wasn’t that color before.

Crap.

I’d better stop this journal entry right here. This is gonna take a while.

Coming Up Next: We paid thousands of dollars to see this great big hole in the ground!

Drew is really a smiley thing after being up all night!

That hike looked really beautiful! Too bad Mama didn't feel comfortable coming.

Gorgeous scenery!

Ugh, can't believe the facilities were closed!

Holy Blowout Batman! How is he smiling with that!?!?!?!?!

Jill in CO

Drew looks like he's laughing at you in the breakfast picture like ha ha kept you up all night again! :thumbsup2

All I can say is WOW! I am sure the pictures do not do the trip justice, but they are amazing!

I wish I could say I miss the days of brown tshirts but hmmm :scared: not so much!

I'm sorry, but I am sitting here :lmao::lmao:. Drew is up half the night and then you get that shot of hi at the breakfast table with the happiest look on his face as if he had the best night sleep and just had his belly full.

Beautiful, beautiful pictures once again friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter