• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

@snowmedic That is a great idea for the pad. If I wanted to pour that are I would need to build in some drainage and a retaining wall. For now I am good with the gravel. The other days storms proved well, the small swale channel routed water properly. This driveway is clearly minimum spec as the weight of the RV has cause a lot of gator cracking. Thats why its 14k to redo it to drain better and handle all that weight. Event he gravel can get reused as the base so its a plus.

This week I am flying solo for at least half of the week. Wife and the girls are going to visit her parents while I am home with the pups. After last night's weather I will have some more yard cleanup ahead of me. Thankfully no big trees down, just lots of branches once again.

Well Michigan is on to the Elite 8. Now to see who our opponent will be.🏀

Alabama faded against UCLA in overtime last night. It was nice to taste the Sweet 16 again.

Good luck to your Michigan team the rest of the way, Chris.

68 teams started in the March Madness bracket and 67 of them finish their season with a loss.

Ed

So I have a curiosity question. If you have an Onan, or any brand diesel generator for that matter, does it use DEF? Actually, I don't even know how DEF works, does it meter from the DEF tank into the fuel flow somehow or is it a separate process?

So I have a curiosity question. If you have an Onan, or any brand diesel generator for that matter, does it use DEF? Actually, I don't even know how DEF works, does it meter from the DEF tank into the fuel flow somehow or is it a separate process?
My rig is a 2006 so it does not require DEF for the main engine, so my Onan generator is definitely not using any DEF. Hey a question I can answer.

A diesel generator would not require DEF, as it is to lower emissions released in to the atmosphere. The def is injected by the 7th injector into the exhaust stream. DEF systems have been less than reliable, DEF crystalizes if left too long, and it does have a shelf life.
The worst part of the whole system tho is the DPF, the Diesel Particulate Filter, if this gets clogged it is usually costly to replace, or you can have it reconditioned, but that requires a kiln to bake it in.
That is why we were looking at pre DEF rigs this time around. I wanted to get away from dealing with that.
@Teamubr is probably the only one of us dealing with DEF currently. Not sure about Joe, as I can't remember the year of his coach.

A diesel generator would not require DEF, as it is to lower emissions released in to the atmosphere. The def is injected by the 7th injector into the exhaust stream. DEF systems have been less than reliable, DEF crystalizes if left too long, and it does have a shelf life.
The worst part of the whole system tho is the DPF, the Diesel Particulate Filter, if this gets clogged it is usually costly to replace, or you can have it reconditioned, but that requires a kiln to bake it in.
That is why we were looking at pre DEF rigs this time around. I wanted to get away from dealing with that.
@Teamubr is probably the only one of us dealing with DEF currently. Not sure about Joe, as I can't remember the year of his coach.

DEF system in my truck crystalized over time and stopped up - $800
EGR cooler and valve stopped up - $600
Diesel particulate filter stopped up - $4000 just for the part, another $1000 to replace

Which is why my F-250 is now an off-road race truck - :thumbsup2 I HIGHLY recommend

My coach does use DEF and has a DPF. It is huge. There is also a similar sized can next to it I assume is the muffler. I'll have to see how it goes. By 2012, most manufacturers had the DPF and emissions sorted out. There is a whole section in the Cummins manual about passive, active and stationary regens.

j

My coach does use DEF and has a DPF. It is huge. There is also a similar sized can next to it I assume is the muffler. I'll have to see how it goes. By 2012, most manufacturers had the DPF and emissions sorted out. There is a whole section in the Cummins manual about passive, active and stationary regens.

j

The key to the DPF is it needs to be able to heat up to "burn off" the particles. With trucks like mine the average run time to get up to temp was about 20 minutes. The average time for commute is 20-30 minutes, which means about the time it got to temp you were shutting it off.

In an RV you'll be driving long distance, so plenty of time for it to get to temp and "burn". Plus, being that big it'll be under load and thus more heat. That is what the DPF was intended for.

On my f250, the muffler was behind the DPF, actually sitting over the rear axle.

For those of you longing for a DPF and associated DEF needs, here is a pic of the DPF(s) and 13 gallon DEF tank on my coach. I put the 2 1/2 gallon DEF jug in there for size comparison. These things are huge and there is a 3rd smaller resonator behind the 2 big cans. I don't know if the 2 big ones are both DPFs. They have the same sensors and wiring going to them. I suspect the top one (1st in line after the turbo) is the actual DPF and the lower one just monitors the pressure gradient post DPF.

20210331_090351_copy_2016x1134.jpg

j

Ridiculous. Waste of a storage compartment. Probably easily added $10,000 to cost of coach, and causes worse fuel mileage which offsets some of the "cleaner" garbage.

Ridiculous. Waste of a storage compartment. Probably easily added $10,000 to cost of coach, and causes worse fuel mileage which offsets some of the "cleaner" garbage.
Hahaha! Tell us how you really feel Michael!
I happen to agree. If I ever decide to trade ours in for a different coach it will also be pre-DEF!

It's going to get to a point where finding pre-def systems is impossible for drive motors. Currently there is a no requirement for DEF on diesel engines lower then 75HP, so diesel gensets are in the clear for the time being.

My dealing with def systems on bigger motors was when I was running tow trucks. It was impossible not to have DEF system and tow trucks idle by nature when loading and unloading. Still the case as Michael pointed out was getting them hot long enough to burn all of that off that would cause issues. So most of the trucks that were acting up where early DEF trucks used inside the DC beltway. Those of us running all over northern VA seemed to have no issues. I feel like the RV makes sure my truck never gets too loaded up as I am sure I get the EGTs needed to burn all that off on a regular enough basis of the highway runs are not enough.

Now that my truck is 8 years old and out of Ford ESP, I will go the same route once an expensive repair hits.

Last edited:

j
The key to the DPF is it needs to be able to heat up to "burn off" the particles. With trucks like mine the average run time to get up to temp was about 20 minutes. The average time for commute is 20-30 minutes, which means about the time it got to temp you were shutting it off.

In an RV you'll be driving long distance, so plenty of time for it to get to temp and "burn". Plus, being that big it'll be under load and thus more heat. That is what the DPF was intended for.

On my f250, the muffler was behind the DPF, actually sitting over the rear axle.

Yes the big key is the heat. Having DEF and DPF on our Volvo, has not been an issue as we usually run long days on our trips so the system is able to passively regen. We have not gotten close to needing an active or stationary regen. If you get to the point you need to do a stationary regen, you are in for a very big bill very shortly. I will get a picture of our system, over the next few days, as it is pouring rain.
Mine is a huge filter, and yes a terrible waste of space and unneeded cost. But it is ok, they are going to save us all with electric cars charged by wind and solar panels. 🌬☀
Well DW has informed me that my Birthday dinner is ready.....

Wait, what? You just gonna leave us hanging like that?

Yeah, Chris.

Tiggerdad wants to know how old you are. :hourglass

I want to know what DW cooked you for your birthday dinner. :cake:

That's the difference between our two generations. :teeth:

Pretty soon you'll be as old as Teamubr. :duck:

Happy Birthday you old man you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter