The costs of most things including food have increased significantly from

AussieNSW

Mouseketeer
Just some information for people who are about to travel to Disney in the US costs have increased. We are currently at Disneyland after having been to WDW and I am shocked at the price increases. The biggest increase I have noticed has been food. When you do the conversions which scares me when I work out how much everything is we are paying for 3 adults and 1 toddler approx Australian $ 160 including a tip for a lunch at carnation cafe. To help people with there planning that was 1 kids meal 2 soup 1 pickles and 2 sandwiches a Turkey club and a beef melt and 3 soft drinks. Our meal at cafe New Orleans was even more expensive. I do know that we don’t have to have sit down meals and I hAve cancelled some meals over the next few days due to this.
We are also at the parks on the candlelight processional weekend and it is a zoo.
Somehow Disney’s crowd control has been forgotten about over this weekend or maybe it is just poor communication between staff members but for the first time in a Disney crowd I felt nervous last night.
We were trying to exit the park and they had 2 turnstiles open to funnel out everyone and the rest open for entry. It was a huge crowd crush and very dangerous.
I have been reading previously that Disneyland has got very crowded and thought it can’t be that bad. I was wrong it is.
I have my fingers crossed that the crowds will improve on Monday and Tuesday because yesterday and probably today they were terrible and this is coming from someone who has been the week after Christmas and over thanksgiving.
I thought the park booking thing was supposed to help. It hasn’t well not from a guests experience.

The crowd problem is the candlelight processional. It's always crazy. Today, the candy cane sales start. Also a crazy situation.

Food is expensive everywhere. My family of 4 had dinner last night at BJs Brewhouse (a national casual chain restaurant). We live near Disneyland. Burgers/chicken sandwiches, 2 beers and a split dessert plus tip cost us $135. It is what it is at this point to feed a family at a restaurant.

Ha Yes at WDW for 5 nights and actually asked my daughter to pay for the2 grandkids food budget. I have never felt the need to ask but they are “teensalmost “
I was thinking probably close to $1000 …she was thinking $500 …
Oh well , I kept track , also for the first time , and was shocked that I was closer to being correct!

I don’t think Disney can stop itself from the increases .
They are stockpiling for their financial future.
I will not plan the traditional Holiday at WDW next year .
We have had our memories for a lifetime I guess.

Just some information for people who are about to travel to Disney in the US costs have increased. We are currently at Disneyland after having been to WDW and I am shocked at the price increases. The biggest increase I have noticed has been food. When you do the conversions which scares me when I work out how much everything is we are paying for 3 adults and 1 toddler approx Australian $ 160 including a tip for a lunch at carnation cafe. To help people with there planning that was 1 kids meal 2 soup 1 pickles and 2 sandwiches a Turkey club and a beef melt and 3 soft drinks. Our meal at cafe New Orleans was even more expensive. I do know that we don’t have to have sit down meals and I hAve cancelled some meals over the next few days due to this.
We are also at the parks on the candlelight processional weekend and it is a zoo.
Somehow Disney’s crowd control has been forgotten about over this weekend or maybe it is just poor communication between staff members but for the first time in a Disney crowd I felt nervous last night.
We were trying to exit the park and they had 2 turnstiles open to funnel out everyone and the rest open for entry. It was a huge crowd crush and very dangerous.
I have been reading previously that Disneyland has got very crowded and thought it can’t be that bad. I was wrong it is.
I have my fingers crossed that the crowds will improve on Monday and Tuesday because yesterday and probably today they were terrible and this is coming from someone who has been the week after Christmas and over thanksgiving.
I thought the park booking thing was supposed to help. It hasn’t well not from a guests experience.
Hi AussieNSW

Thank you so much for this update. We are going to Disneyland later this month - arriving 28 December and there until 12 January. Your message was a really timely reminder to me to manage expectations for our first week.

And the prices ouch! We have a booking at Carnation Cafe on New Years Eve and Cafe Orleans later that week. At least I have a bit of an idea of what its going to cost in AUD. We have 4 adults and a 15 year old so its going to cost me a bit more .....

Yikes! Thanks for the update. I don't have any plans to go back to the US any time soon, but good to be able to manage my expectations for when the time comes (which it eventually WILL because WDW will be my final castle!).

Thanks for the update. I’m going in a month and already a bit scared by the prices. I’ve fewer meals booked than previous trips. A simple $25 entree (American word for main) once tax and tip is added and converted to Aussie dollars is close to $50.

I’ve never gone for the expensive options (vegetarian, water drinker) but still budgeting more than usual. Will self cater as much as possible and Then enjoy ice cream and other treats between meals since that’s a little less than buying full sit down meals.

We just came back from a week at Disney. The food prices are similar to my local restaurants. I am guessing you have lower food costs out of the US? We were 2 adults and ate Table Service only. We did 1-2 meals a day. (We stayed club level so lots of snacking at the lounge) our total spent on food was $1300 including alcohol. We ate at several signature restaurants.

I really found that too. But I didn't feel that it stopped at food. Everything seems so much more expensive.

I used to budget about $150 a night for Harbour hotels at Disneyland. Our last trip the same hotels were charging $400+ a night 😱

party of 4 last November for 12 nights in the USA we spent almost AU$3K on food alone! This is a HUGE amount of money and let me tell you, we didn't eat fancy!!
2 Adults and 2 Kids, the kids shared a lot of meals and most were counter service. I have never ever spent this much money on food before when in the USA.
Hotels too were overpriced, it was the shortest and most expensive trip we have ever taken!
But we are coming back this September - I must be a glutton for punishiment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!