The Cost of Camping vs. Other Disney Properties

Something in the orthopedic category. I can't see myself convincing my husband to ever spend money on an RV or trailer that needs hundreds of dollars of "interior design" when a hotel room is just as cheap when it comes to swiping a CC... LOL
Well, whatever works for you and your DH. For us, we were going to stay at the AoA on this last trip but the cost for the same time was over $500 difference from the Fort at a premium site. Now in all fairness, what we saved in staying at the fort, we paid in Gas getting there (Tuck only got 6.7 MPG.) That said, however. We could eat in the camper food that we wanted. Didn't have to spend $100 for meals out every night (For 3 of us). While we did eat at some of the restraunts, as that is part of the charm and fun, we also ate many meals in the camper. DW and I slept in our Queen bed, and DD12 slept in her Queen Bed. We had TV, sofa, Dinette, Sink, Stove, Oven microwave, AC, Heat, Fridge, Fire Place, Bathroom, Shower, Our own linens (and we KNEW how clean they were). Sure we did not have House keeping, but I am okay with it. Even when we do stay in a hotel (regardless of where) we tend to "Clean Up" anyway so really it's not that much different except for in a hotel, there are those things that I do NOT have.

Just curious as I really do not know... Do the hotels offer "Orthopedic" beds? (or some option to get close to it)?

I don't see the cost of the RV in the same way because we can use it other places. Obviously though, it's a major expense. So I guess if you factor the cost of an RV itself (buying one) into the overall costs and the amount of times you may (or may not) use it, it could definitely be a huge factor. Me personally, I love being in the outdoors anyway, plus the DW hates to fly.

Oh yeah... Another HUGE benefit of bringing our Travel Trailer with us, we can take more than a couple of outfits for the varied weather, plus we have plenty of space for souvenirs on the way home.

Counting my blessings after seeing all of these single digit MPG numbers! We're car campers; the car got around 27.5 MPG loaded with gear and people and a roof bag on a 9-hour trip from NY to DE versus ~31 MPG on my usual commute.

Counting my blessings after seeing all of these single digit MPG numbers!
Price we pay for lugging 400 sq. ft. homes around with us. (Except Ed. I'm not sure his is even 40 sq. ft.) :D

There are many times I have thought of the "good old days" of tent or popup camping. But then I remember DW's comment that she isn't going if she doesn't have A/C, a microwave and satellite TV. And be within an hour of a WalMart. :-)

I like having DW along, so 9 mpg it is.

j

Price we pay for lugging 400 sq. ft. homes around with us. (Except Ed. I'm not sure his is even 40 sq. ft.) :D

j

He may not have to tow it next year, Randy could put it in the toy hauler as he comes thru...

And well not completely sure of my mileage yet while towing, hoping to find out better on a couple upcoming trips, but expect about 10mpg. We will see.

And yes having the DW along is nice. ::yes::

There are many times I have thought of the "good old days" of tent or popup camping. But then I remember DW's comment that she isn't going if she doesn't have A/C, a microwave and satellite TV. And be within an hour of a WalMart. :-)

I like having DW along, so 9 mpg it is.j
I am sure Ed does better than that Heck His parents took it down with their CAMRY. My DW is a born , bred , and raised girl from Brooklyn NY. Prior to the FORT her idea of roughing it was the hotel only had BASIC CABLE and she was the one who decided we needed to get an RV . This way I don't wake her up in the middle of the night sitting up and calling for our older dog WOOKIEBEAR who she calls my daughter.

He may not have to tow it next year, Randy could put it in the toy hauler as he comes thru...
And well not completely sure of my mileage yet while towing, hoping to find out better on a couple upcoming trips, but expect about 10mpg. We will see.

And yes having the DW along is nice. ::yes::
If Randy doesn't put in the toy hauler I think he is hoping Kris and Bert or Lucille and I will swing by and put it on the Bike rack. Maybe we can get Michael to swing by and hook up a 20 Squirrel team and he can go full Pioneer Wagon Train style

Something in the orthopedic category. I can't see myself convincing my husband to ever spend money on an RV or trailer that needs hundreds of dollars of "interior design" when a hotel room is just as cheap when it comes to swiping a CC... LOL

There are campers that camp to save money, then there are campers that camp because we love it and would rather it!! :D

We have camped in various TT's, RV's for about 48 years and wouldn't trade it for 'any' hotel room. We like our own bed and bath, not something strangers have stayed in. When we close our doors, anything we wish is at our disposal, and clean!! No wiping down things with sanitizer wipes.

It's definitely not for everyone, and glad it is so. We would not all want to be alike. Whatever it takes to relax and enjoy our vacations is what is 'right' for each of us!! :goodvibes
pixiedust:

@peg110 said it all!! 100% agree!

Last edited:

j

Let's see if the Aliner meets Donna's requirements:

1. A/C - check
2. Microwave - check
3. Satellite tv - check (if I bring my tailgate set-up)

The good old days are calling your name Jim!

Bama Ed

Let's see if the Aliner meets Donna's requirements:

The good old days are calling your name Jim!
I'm with you. Friends had a T@b. It was great. Kitchen, bathroom and someplace to sit/sleep. They threw the easyup and some chairs in the car and away they went. It did have A/C and a microwave. They brought their little dish with them. Checked all the boxes except Donna didn't think so.

Also, not much room for Ian and friends.

j

I'm with you.

Also, not much room for Ian and friends.

j

They're young. They can have the best tent their money can buy... And you won't even have to charge them to crash on your site.

Bama Ed

PS - with 24 and 22 year old sons, this is the way WE are leaning. They have to grow up and get out on their own some time...

PPS - if my kids want to share my Aliner, they have to pay for half the site. That's my rule. And it is 99% of the time NOT an option.
<love them with all my heart of course>

<love them with all my heart of course>

Of course you do.... The hard part is that "Love" sometimes is tough. The problem is, is that the kids think it's tough on them, but don't really realize it's probably tougher on us. I never could understand that "This is going to hurt me more than it is you... " statement when I was a kid. I dunno, I don't think Dad felt the "Strap" across his butt. Now that I am older... I know EXACTLY what it meant.

My Older DD is almost 20 and thinks she knows the world. So while I still love her.... Sometimes, that love gets a bit fleeting. o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter