The Coca-Cola Company is discontinuing Tab

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...selling-tab-diet-drink-generation/3676308001/
Tab was the leading diet cola before Diet Coke. In the 80s Coca-Cola repositioned Tab as a different diet soda than Diet Coke.

I wonder if Fresca is behind. That might get renewed popularity after the Amazon Prime series The Boys featured it as the drink of choice of a Scientology-like religious group.
I don't care for diet drinks, so it doesn't really bother me. But I am bummed that Coke (as well as Pepsi) have stopped producing their caffeine free (regular) cola product. I like cola drinks, but can't do caffeine. I've read it has to do with the aluminum can shortage.......

I remember growing up that my mom would have Tab (and Fresca) only because she knew we kids wouldn't drink it!

Grown (and at age 52), I do like Fresca, but I can't remember the last time I bought or drank it.

I always thought Tab was vile, and was very glad when Fresca and other diet sodas were introduced.
Fresca?

Fresca-Drink-of-Goran-Visnjic-as-Alistair-Adana-in-The-Boys-S02E06-TV-Show-780x325.jpg

They're still making a lot of stuff like Mr Pibb even though they have an arrangement to distribute Dr Pepper in some markets.

Yeah, they make Pibb for markets where their bottlers don't distribute DP. Here they do, bus ometimes you can get Pibb in a soda fountain depending on the place.

I liked Fresca when I was a kid. My grandmother worked in a church office, and the custodians would take me down to the big soda machine and buy me cold Fresca. They changed it over the years and I can't stand it anymore. I don't drink diet soda of any kind,,but I didn't even realize that they still made Tab, lol.

LOVE fresca but haven't had it in years. Especially nice with ice cold vodka and a twist - yum. This thread has spurred me to check walmart to see if it's in their grocery assortment. Would be nice as an occasional treat.

(My entire grocery list is limited to whatever WM allows for curbside pickup these days. Thanks covid!)

Had no idea they were still making tab...but brings back memories. Orange fanta is another one I used to consume in mass quantities decades ago before I started eating and drinking a little healthier.

Add me to the list of folks who were surprised that Tab was even being made anymore.
I don't know what made me remember this, but the Tab discussion made me think of that scene from Back to the Future, when MJFox is back in the '50s and asks the soda fountain guy for a "tab" - and the guy can't figure out why he's asking for the bill before he even orders:rotfl:

I don't care for diet drinks, so it doesn't really bother me. But I am bummed that Coke (as well as Pepsi) have stopped producing their caffeine free (regular) cola product. I like cola drinks, but can't do caffeine. I've read it has to do with the aluminum can shortage.......

I found Caffeine-free Coke (regular, non-diet) at the store today for the first time since the pandemic started. They had a lot more selection today, so hopefully the supply chain is catching up. (Still no Pibb Xtra though. My husband likes that.)

As far as the OP, add me to the list of people who thought that Tab had already been discontinued. I haven't seen it in years (not that I was looking very closely.)

I found Caffeine-free Coke (regular, non-diet) at the store today for the first time since the pandemic started. They had a lot more selection today, so hopefully the supply chain is catching up. (Still no Pibb Xtra though. My husband likes that.)

As far as the OP, add me to the list of people who thought that Tab had already been discontinued. I haven't seen it in years (not that I was looking very closely.)
I'm thinking they found some in the back storeroom. I've contacted Coca-Cola regarding this and (twice) have been informed that, while caffeine free (regular) Coke will come back, they're not seeing it happen until sometime in 2021.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'm thinking they found some in the back storeroom. I've contacted Coca-Cola regarding this and (twice) have been informed that, while caffeine free (regular) Coke will come back, they're not seeing it happen until sometime in 2021.

Hope I'm wrong.
Maybe. But my mother-in-law is the one who clued me in that it might be back. She found it at her store yesterday. We're both in the same metro area, but on opposite sides of town and it was two different grocery chains. What are the chances that they'd both have some in the store room?

I didn't even know they made Tab anymore. I do remember getting Tab out of the machine in my dorm and then getting the Milkshake bars to eat with it. Definitely why I had the Freshman Fifteen weight gain!! :teeth:

Maybe. But my mother-in-law is the one who clued me in that it might be back. She found it at her store yesterday. We're both in the same metro area, but on opposite sides of town and it was two different grocery chains. What are the chances that they'd both have some in the store room?
Hope you're correct. I'm dying here with nothing to drink but water.

EDITED TO ADD: My husband just pointed out to me that different bottling plants may have different priorities as to what's bottled. Maybe, in your area, the caffeine free regular coke sells better than it does in another area.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter