The Coca-Cola Company is discontinuing Tab

I don't care for diet drinks, so it doesn't really bother me. But I am bummed that Coke (as well as Pepsi) have stopped producing their caffeine free (regular) cola product. I like cola drinks, but can't do caffeine. I've read it has to do with the aluminum can shortage.......

That's interesting. I prefer Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi, but will drink Caffeine Free DIet Coke. Finding CFDP is practically impossible now. DH usually has to check several times, before he finds CFDC. We've been wondering what's going on. I wonder, if it's the same situation.

That's interesting. I prefer Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi, but will drink Caffeine Free DIet Coke. Finding CFDP is practically impossible now. DH usually has to check several times, before he finds CFDC. We've been wondering what's going on. I wonder, if it's the same situation.
Apparently there was a tariff on aluminum (mostly coming from Canada) for a while that cut into supplies. And then, with the pandemic, a lot of soda (liquid) that generally is shipped and used in bulk by restaurants and other locations, haven't been buying it, but more cans are needed to sell more product in the stores for private consumption.

Apparently there was a tariff on aluminum (mostly coming from Canada) for a while that cut into supplies. And then, with the pandemic, a lot of soda (liquid) that generally is shipped and used in bulk by restaurants and other locations, haven't been buying it, but more cans are needed to sell more product in the stores for private consumption.
Did they mention, if that would also affect bottled sodas. That's all we've been able to find & it's extremely limited.

I remember Tab but don't recall trying it.

I used to like Surge in the 90's, and surprisingly, they brought it back thanks to some campaign. My taste bud memories say it doesn't taste the same though.

That's possible. Look at Faygo, the gross drink that gained popularity because the Insane Clown Posse drank it and sprayed audiences with it. But then if you're going to be a Juggalo, you can't be assumed to have taste in beverages as well.

And before any Juggalos in 2022 see this thread and zombify it just to rant at me for two posts in your entire DISboard posting career- I'm only kidding! kinda!

I haven't seen it in years. I completely gave up all pop about a year ago. I do remember several years ago I got some because I wanted to try it. It wasn't that bad really, but it wasn't great. I did like the pink cans though.

The last time I saw Tab was in the 90s and it was clear. I googled that, and it looks like Tab Clear was only around for a couple of years. When I first started college (in 1986, yikes), the machine only had Tab. Over the summer it was changed to Diet Coke and I was thrilled. I try not to drink it too often, but Diet Coke is still my fave. My memory of Fresca is my diabetic grandfather drinking that in the early '70s. There weren't a lot of sugar-free choices then.

RIP Tab, you had a great few year run, then after that you existed for 40 years cause of the great little run, you will go down in history

Even after Diet Coke came out, Coca-Cola was trying to keep Tab relevant. They did tinker around with the formula though.

Yeah, they make Pibb for markets where their bottlers don't distribute DP. Here they do, bus ometimes you can get Pibb in a soda fountain depending on the place.
Around here I see it at supermarkets with the rest of the Coca-Cola drinks. Coca-Cola is also keeping around many of the minor brands hanging around like Mello Yello.

I don't see it at any regular fountains. Occasionally I might see it as a selection on a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine, but even with those I see more that have Dr Pepper instead.

Dr Pepper distribution is really odd around here. The cans/bottles are from our Pepsi bottler which has a distribution license for packaged sodas. I notice that because the sales for Pepsi always include Dr Pepper. The brand is owned by Dr Pepper Snapple. I don't know exactly how it's arranged, but most of the national fast food chains (McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell) around here have Dr Pepper on tap regardless of whether or not they have Coke or Pepsi as the main soft drink.

I don't care for diet drinks, so it doesn't really bother me. But I am bummed that Coke (as well as Pepsi) have stopped producing their caffeine free (regular) cola product. I like cola drinks, but can't do caffeine. I've read it has to do with the aluminum can shortage.......

You can still get it in bottle form.

Wasn't the same after they switched from saccharine to NutraSweet
Ugh, both of those are awful. I can tolerate Splenda but I haven't had a diet soda in probably 15 years.
Tab and Fresca tasted like regular sugar sweetened drinks when they were sweetened with cyclamate. But that was banned in the U.S. in 1969 due to cancer concerns. Still legal in 100 countries, many of which have cancer concerns with saccharrin and nutrasweet.

As if 2020 hasn't gotten worse enough for me. lol

TaB was that diet soda that didn't taste diet. Diet Coke is absolutely horrible, and Diet Pepsi is slightly less so. It's the flavor a cola should be without the sugar. Tab was always my go-to. It wasn't a common thing places carried, but where I live, it's sold at just about every Publix. Whenever we bought soda, 75% of the time, it was always fridge packs of TaB. TaB never came in 20oz. bottles, and 2 liter bottles were long discontinued. Cans were the only way you could buy it.

With it now being gone by the end of the year, it looks like I can finally wain off of soda more often. I still drink Pepsi Zero Sugar on occasion. But I really don't drink as much soda as I used to. I don't drink much of anything else other than water or water infused with iced tea packets. I don't know how I am going to satisfy my TaB cravings now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter