• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The "Chuck Bubba Relay"

I suppose I'm part of the demographic this strategy appeals to. We're taking our 2 year-old on her first WDW vacation in a couple of weeks. Dumbo will (more than likely) be her first WDW ride. So, I'm planning on capturing that moment (video/pics) while she rides w/ mommy. If she wants to ride again, I'd love to be able to go on Dumbo with her as well.

This has nothing to do with the chucka bubba strategy, but you should consider getting on the dumbo ride with them and getting in the elephant in front of mommy and daughter. That is a much better vantage point to videotape them! I did that with my wife and 2 year old daughter a few years ago, only to find out the camera was paused the whole time. DOH! But fortunately I also used the digital camera and I got a couple of gorgeous stills.

Is anyone willing to admit they did it?

Me...and it worked great. As with PP, Dumbo seems the best option for it with availability to the line for the pass and that the second person in line still represents one dumbo whether the other person joins them or not. Not a problem.

This has nothing to do with the chucka bubba strategy, but you should consider getting on the dumbo ride with them and getting in the elephant in front of mommy and daughter. That is a much better vantage point to videotape them! I did that with my wife and 2 year old daughter a few years ago, only to find out the camera was paused the whole time. DOH! But fortunately I also used the digital camera and I got a couple of gorgeous stills.

that's not a bad idea! certainly a unique vantage point. thanks for the recommendation!

of course, i can picture the annoyed people waiting in line, going "look at that 30 year-old guy riding dumbo by himself first thing in the morning while all these little kids are waiting in line!"

speaking of which, my buddy and i agreed that the funniest sight in the world would be some surly 40 year-old guy riding dumbo solo with his arms folded and a "i'm not having fun" look on his face the entire time. while he was wearing mickey ears. it would be the ultimate in paradoxes.

of course, i can picture the annoyed people waiting in line, going "look at that 30 year-old guy riding dumbo by himself first thing in the morning while all these little kids are waiting in line!"

Funny you mention that, because that was stuck in my head too. But the reality is, you'll see plenty of adults riding dumbo without kids. (why? I don't know.)

Two adults and little Bubba can ride in one Dumbo. My husband rode with both our girls when I had a sinus infection and didn't want to experience Dumbo at that time. I guess if the family focus is doing whatever they can to satisfy Bubba's desires, and that means not riding together as a family, then so be it. We just don't pander to one individual over the entire family, that's all, and it wouldn't seem like a family vacation to our family. I guess if you only have one child, and everything revolves around that child, it would make sense.

I wonder why there's even the need to count 24 back? Couldn't the parents wait on line together, but then one adult stay back and let people pass him until the ride is full? That way he'd be first on line for the next ride, and also more accessible to the parent getting off with the child needing to be passed back.

Two adults and little Bubba can ride in one Dumbo. My husband rode with both our girls when I had a sinus infection and didn't want to experience Dumbo at that time. I guess if the family focus is doing whatever they can to satisfy Bubba's desires, and that means not riding together as a family, then so be it. We just don't pander to one individual over the entire family, that's all, and it wouldn't seem like a family vacation to our family. I guess if you only have one child, and everything revolves around that child, it would make sense.

Just because I want to let my child go on his favorite ride twice, doesn't mean everything revolves around him. I plan on going on my favorite ride, Splash Mountain, AT LEAST twice. Lines for Dumbo get out of control REALLY fast and no fastpasses, so this seems like a good strategy to me. And by the way, my family is very close and we go on most rides together. Just because we don't sit together on ONE ride, doesn't mean we aren't having a magical family vacation!

I don't think we need to take the analysis that far because the fact is, the kid was just on the ride!
If you were on the ride, the you get off and pass everybody else in line to ride again, how is that anything but cutting?

Same thing happens with child swap, and that is definitely allowed by Disney. For instance, I get a child swap pass and stay with my DD2 while DH and DS go on Splash MT. When they're done, DH stays with DD and DS and I go on Splash with the pass. DS just went on it, but he is allowed to go again with me. The Bubba relay seems like the same thing to me, only it's a parent swap instead of a child swap.

we have done a modified version of this. One adult gets in line for Dumbo - the child joins that adult at some point in the line. In our case, I was with the girls seeing Ariel and DH got in line for Dumbo. They joined him when we were finished with Ariel. This didn't cause anyone behind us to wait longer for an elephant - since they were all going to be sitting in one elephant anyway. They didn't stumble across anyone to catch up to dad - it was all very civilized and no one around us was inconvenienced.

Now if one person was in line - and we sent up enough kids to take up more than one elephant - that is bumping people behind us. I would never do that.

We just don't pander to one individual over the entire family, that's all, and it wouldn't seem like a family vacation to our family. I guess if you only have one child, and everything revolves around that child, it would make sense.

The entire trip is going to be one big pandering session for us! :rotfl: :upsidedow

Let's put it this way - no Splash Mountain, no Space Mountain (it'll be closed anyway), no Big Thunder Mountain, no Soarin', no Mission Space, no Test Track, no Tower of Terror, no Rock'n'Roller Coaster, no Expedition Everest and most disappointingly, no Beers Around the World. Okay, I might try to fit a few beers in.

In fairness, the wife and I agreed that this trip would be all about the little one - and since she's been the EASIEST kid in the world to raise (at least to this point), we have no qualms about spoiling her rotten for a week. This is a 2 year-old whose most commonly used words are "please" ("peas"), "thank you" ("dankoo"), "excuse me" ("scoosie") and "i love you" (lud you!). One time she said "mine!" and wasn't going to share a toy. Literally 2 seconds later she said "okay, you turn, sardy!" (sardy = sorry). princess:

Funny you mention that, because that was stuck in my head too. But the reality is, you'll see plenty of adults riding dumbo without kids. (why? I don't know.)

That is a separate controversy that occasionally flares up here on the boards. You'll get the "hey, if I want to ride Dumbo, I'm going to ride Dumbo!" posts, and the "oh, great, now my little precious has to wait 5 whole more minutes because you are taking her place on Dumbo" posts. It's lots of fun to read before it gets locked. :rotfl:

That is a separate controversy that occasionally flares up here on the boards. You'll get the "hey, if I want to ride Dumbo, I'm going to ride Dumbo!" posts, and the "oh, great, now my little precious has to wait 5 whole more minutes because you are taking her place on Dumbo" posts. It's lots of fun to read before it gets locked. :rotfl:

So are you telling me that if my friends and I try the "chuck Bubba" strategy, only Bubba happens to be 30 years old, people are going to have a problem with it? :upsidedow

So are you telling me that if my friends and I try the "chuck Bubba" strategy, only Bubba happens to be 30 years old, people are going to have a problem with it? :upsidedow

Why yes. Yes, some people will. :surfweb:

I'm never that alert to the activities and relationships of those around me, but you'd be surprised at how much attention people pay to these details.

The entire trip is going to be one big pandering session for us! :rotfl: :upsidedow

Let's put it this way - no Splash Mountain, no Space Mountain (it'll be closed anyway), no Big Thunder Mountain, no Soarin', no Mission Space, no Test Track, no Tower of Terror, no Rock'n'Roller Coaster, no Expedition Everest and most disappointingly, no Beers Around the World. Okay, I might try to fit a few beers in.

In fairness, the wife and I agreed that this trip would be all about the little one - and since she's been the EASIEST kid in the world to raise (at least to this point), we have no qualms about spoiling her rotten for a week. This is a 2 year-old whose most commonly used words are "please" ("peas"), "thank you" ("dankoo"), "excuse me" ("scoosie") and "i love you" (lud you!). One time she said "mine!" and wasn't going to share a toy. Literally 2 seconds later she said "okay, you turn, sardy!" (sardy = sorry). princess:

Why deny those rides - FP a few attractions, or do single rider, while the little one is napping. She sounds like a sweetie - have a great time with her, and keep up the good work, she's a gem! (love the scoosie and dankoo, especially the lud you, thanks for sharing!)

Hope I don't get fussed at too much - but when I look my fabulous DS for his third birthday - we swapped like crazy - we talked to every CM to make sure it wasn't inappropriate - no CM stopped us - we did not do it on rides like the carousel or the tea cups only on things with only room for two seats - so yes he rode Dumbo twice, among others -
This past January when my parents took our family we did this on the Barnstormer, after speaking to the CM - we all waited in 30 minute line - 4 of us went - my DH and I got off - my Mom and Dad waited, at the station and then got on with the boys - It was the only time we did it this trip -
At the end of the day it is simply wanting to experience the Disney Magic with your little guy or gal as your 3 year old DS tells to "put your hands up Nana" - then hold up only one hand - giggle like crazy and remember his first coaster ride
So I hope we didn't ruin anyone else's magical day - because it was most certainly not our intention:wizard:

I wonder why there's even the need to count 24 back? Couldn't the parents wait on line together, but then one adult stay back and let people pass him until the ride is full? That way he'd be first on line for the next ride, and also more accessible to the parent getting off with the child needing to be passed back.

We counted back MUCH farther than 24. You don't want to have to do a football pass of the child, be rushed, or hold up the line. I counted back so as to allow another full cycle of riders BETWEEN our two turns so there would be time for them to exit and then make the switch. We made our pass off over the rail just before the turnstile to enter to corral of riders and didn't snake anybody up through a line, and all of this occurred while the group of riders between us was riding.

First, I've never done it, but I would, based on the theory that I wouldn't be taking an extra Dumbo. Not Pooh sized by a far margin, but it wouldn't be an enjoyable ride for any kid squished between me and hubby. Also, the first time we brought my son to Disney, he lost it when we wouldn't ride the MONORAIL again when we arrived at the park. Some kids just want to ride twice, and you can lose a lot of time immediately repeating a ride. Luckily my kids get it now, but I can see how riding twice can keep the peace with kids dragged out of bed earlier than usual, lotioned up, and overstimulated.

I've never seen it done, but I saw some undoubtedly ill coached grandparents try to hold the line for parents once, and when they got to the turnstyle, they became uncomfortable and retreated through the entire line. I knew what was happening because they were reporting to their children via cellphone that they were abandoning ship.

I like the poster who pointed out that you don't need to count out. I would recommend getting in line together, then when you get to the last bend in the line before the bottom of the ramp to the loading area, one parent waits behind and lets the people behind them go along. So, if the loading area is an S, the top of the S is the turnstyle, the turn is the ramp, and the bottom of the S is the place in line which opens up facing toward Pooh Playground. Then you're not slowing up the loading process by returning to the turnstyle area to pass, and I'm guessing the people immediately around you at the pass would be unaware of your ingenuity.

I swear I haven't done it; but I've obviously thought about it.

Why deny those rides - FP a few attractions, or do single rider, while the little one is napping. She sounds like a sweetie - have a great time with her, and keep up the good work, she's a gem! (love the scoosie and dankoo, especially the lud you, thanks for sharing!)

thank you! :goodvibes
honestly, we're so excited to see disney through her eyes that we don't even have that strong of a desire to do the "adult" rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter