The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I loved Billy Elliot! I haven't seen it on Broadway yet, but I saw it in London twice. It was amazing, some of the best dancing I have ever seen!

Ah I'm just dying to see it!!! I wish they offered a student rush for it haha - so much for Shrek's rush, though - I went today and they said they didn't do it on the weekends (not advertised - it's advertised as being for every performance) - but I didn't mind - I ended up 6th row at The Marvelous Wonderettes for $10 less than Shrek's rush price. And I loved every single minute of the show - it's probably my new favorite and I have plans to go back in 2 weeks with my friend.

Ah I'm just dying to see it!!! I wish they offered a student rush for it haha - so much for Shrek's rush, though - I went today and they said they didn't do it on the weekends (not advertised - it's advertised as being for every performance) - but I didn't mind - I ended up 6th row at The Marvelous Wonderettes for $10 less than Shrek's rush price. And I loved every single minute of the show - it's probably my new favorite and I have plans to go back in 2 weeks with my friend.

Cool, I'll have to check that one out. :thumbsup2

I tried looking for rear mezz seats for Billy Elliot when one of my friends was in town last month and even those were sold out. I'm dying to see the changes for the NY production. And the 3 boys playing Billy look fantastic from the clips I've seen. The two boys I saw in London were incredible!

I really want to see In The Heights in the next few weeks, since Lin Manuel-Miranda is leaving on 2/15! And I want to see Daniel Radcliffe in Equus before that closes too.

I saw 42nd St in the front row, and I didn't really like being that close. I found myself mesmerized by the actor's dancing FEET! Almost couldn't stop watching their feet! Won't sit front row again.

When I was in middle school we went to see A Chorus Line. We got our tickets from TKTS and ended up with front row center seats. I loved it. The only thing that kind of grossed me out was that you could see the spit and sweat coming off the actors. I was sure I was going to get hit. :crazy2:

Les Miserables would have to be my favorite. Although I've never seen it (except when I played in it in high school) another great one would have to be Fiorello. No one ever talks about that one, but it's hilarious. All throughout the past election season I had its songs running through my head: Politics and poker, politics and poker, shuffle up the cards and find the joker....

First, wow, 6 pages. Who would have thought this thread would have gone on this long. Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive. Now on to my response.

I saw 42nd St in the front row, and I didn't really like being that close. I found myself mesmerized by the actor's dancing FEET! Almost couldn't stop watching their feet! Won't sit front row again.

I had front row for Sunset Blvd, and while I loved the show, I was not particularly thrilled to have front row seats. I missed a few things. If all possible, I will avoid the front row, unless it's front row mezz. My first B'way show was Smokey Joe's Cafe and I sat about 6 rows back from the stage and loved it. Those were the perfect seats.

I just don't understand how people enjoy Wicked! I found the show mind numbing and dull. The score was fairly vanilla except for one or two songs which is typical for a Stephen Shwartz show. Plus they butchered the novel!

I've never quite undertood the allue of Webber's shows either. Save for Evita his shows are uneven and less than engaging. Don't even get me started on his Phantom sequel...it may be a sign of the end times coming!

I look to shows by Cole Porter or the Gershwins for great shows!

To each his own, but honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard of who has disliked Wicked. Personally, I'm glad it was nothing like the book, which I hated.

I just don't understand how people enjoy Wicked! I found the show mind numbing and dull. The score was fairly vanilla except for one or two songs which is typical for a Stephen Shwartz show. Plus they butchered the novel!

I've never quite undertood the allue of Webber's shows either. Save for Evita his shows are uneven and less than engaging. Don't even get me started on his Phantom sequel...it may be a sign of the end times coming!

I look to shows by Cole Porter or the Gershwins for great shows!

Well, I haven't read the book, but I loved Wicked. I saw it in Boston when it came through and I love the music.

Yeah the staged version of Wicked really took the meat out of the show and made it nothing but fluff. Wicked the novel is very deep, dark and political as are the other books the author (who's name escapes me at the moment) has written in that universe.

I read the book, Wicked....barely. I forced myself to get through it. It was dry, boring, and dull with so many ridiculous political satire plots in it not to mention unnecessary lewdness...I cringe when I see kids picking it up in the store.

that being said...I loved Wicked, The Musical. It was clever and took the only good parts of the book and was it's only salvage if you ask me. Everyone I know who has seen it...loves it. The songs are great and it's very funny. One of my favorites. :thumbsup2

To each his own I guess...I found the book to be smart funny and very well written.

I didn't hate Showboat, but I did take a nap during it. Granted, I was getting over a cold at the time. I buy the CD's for just about every show I go to, and I never got that one, guess it didn't impact me much.

I will be listening to Spring Awakening for years to come. And even though I haven't seen Wicked yet, I do have the CD for it and really like it.

I dont' see how anyone could hate Showboat! It's a classic! When flash in the pan shows like Wicked and Spring Awakening are long forgotten...Showboat will still be a standard bearer for American musical theatre!

It was sooooooooo long!!!! I thought it was never to end!

I had a close seat in the Producers - and I was amazed by the (sorry to be gross) - spit.
:rotfl:

I saw it with Rosie. I'm sure she was better than Brooke, she was funny in the role, but that production wasn't that great. I saw the new production over the summer with Taylor Hicks. I liked that version better.

When I saw it with Rosie, it was toward the end of her run - and she was bored (she later admitted this on her show).......

Her signing and acting were ok - but she slacked on the dance steps!

At the encore, she did a stand up set (about 10 minutes) and she was very entertaining.....

Yeah the staged version of Wicked really took the meat out of the show and made it nothing but fluff. Wicked the novel is very deep, dark and political as are the other books the author (who's name escapes me at the moment) has written in that universe.

Gregory Maguire wrote the book. There's also a sequel called "Son of a Witch."

I hated the book. It's one of the rare books that I disliked so much that I couldn't even finish. I don't mind dark, but it was too dark, and I didn't even see what the point of any of it was. I've read that earlier versions of the musical were closer to the book, but it got so far away from the Wizard of Oz that audiences were losing interest, so stuff was cut.

I loved the musical, but I can also see why someone wouldn't like it, especially a fan of the book.

Musicals :Les Miz , Crazy for You(love the gershwin music), Buddy (so much fun to hear the buddy holly music live)

Non- musical : Master Harold and the Boys

Off- Broadway: Tracers (probably the most powerful theatre experience ever! this play evolved from vietnam vets therapy sessions, and was performed by vets.... it was INCREDIBLE!!!)

I just opened this thread for the first time, and didn't get past your post! No one ever knows Tracers! You are right, it is an incredibly powerful play! So glad to meet someone else who knows it. You should try to find a copy of Welcome Home Soldier. It is similar to tracers, but deals a lot with the families of the veterans, and experiences the soldiers had when they arrived back in the US. It is equally touching and powerful.

My favorite musicals are Les Mis, Crazy for You, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Rent, Damn Yankees, and Tick, Tick Boom. I'm sure there are more, but those top the list right now!

Gregory Maguire wrote the book. There's also a sequel called "Son of a Witch."

I hated the book. It's one of the rare books that I disliked so much that I couldn't even finish. I don't mind dark, but it was too dark, and I didn't even see what the point of any of it was. I've read that earlier versions of the musical were closer to the book, but it got so far away from the Wizard of Oz that audiences were losing interest, so stuff was cut.

I loved the musical, but I can also see why someone wouldn't like it, especially a fan of the book.

Have your ever read L Frank Baum's original OZ books? They're incredibly dark! The Judy Garland film homagenzied (sp) them! It's the same with Charlie and the Chocolate factory!

Now Chess...there's a brilliant and uderrated peice of musical theatre!

Ok, I've expanded the discussion to include actors that we got to see on the Great White Way, or actors that we would love to see but just haven't had the chance.

I would love to see Nathan Lane on B'way. I think he is a great actor, not to mention funny.

I've seen Betty Buckley in Sunset Blvd, that was cool. Oh, this was a total fluke, but I got to see Brent Spiner as John Adams, and Pat Hingle as Benjamin Franklin. I was totally psyched when I got to see those two on stage together. I would also love to see Matthew Broderick, but haven't had the chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter