The big one: Trip report!!*NOW WITH PICTURES! POST #69*

We did a MG in Oct. 2010 with 15 ( 9 adults& 6 kids). We stayed 14 days in 5 rooms at AkL. My Parents paid for the whole deal, It was a huge undertaking planning and so forth. Have a great time!
p.s.
Make sure you make T-shirts and have your pictures taken at as many locations as you can.

I did another "practice pack" today and I discovered that the girls have way too many cute outfits:p. I was planning on packing 2 outfits in their carryon and then another 3 outfits in the "main" bag. There's about 8 outfits that I want to bring! I know that they will want to wear the same few outfits over and over (hence the reason we book a room with a w/d;)) so it is pointless to overpack.

So then I moved on to my stuff...and realized that I have a serious shorts shortage:lmao:. I have about 3 pairs of nylon, running-type shorts. They're so comfy for the hot, humid weather, and they look great with my running tanks (also perfect for summer in Florida!), but do I really want to look like I've just come from the gym:confused3? I know, there's not exactly a dress code at the theme parks (and we aren't doing any signature dining) but still...

My mother is insisting that I pack some long pants (jeans) and a sweatshirt or jacket for everyone. Really??? Even if it gets "cold", aren't we talking like 60 degrees? My kids wear shorts and tees in 60 degree weather without batting an eyelash. I guess I will keep an eye on the weather forecast and watch the lows. The weather channel shows the average low to be 70 so I really don't think we will need cool-weather gear.

School gets out on Wednesday and once the girls are officially on summer vacation, I think I will really start getting anxious. There is still stuff to do, but it just seems like it is too soon to do it. I did get the AC fixed in my truck ($1500:sick:) so that is one thing crossed off my list.

Just 15 more days until we leave for Detroit:rolleyes1....

You're doing great with your planning! Cant wait to hear how much fun everyone has - it's good that each family has some alone time.

Also, we stayed at OKW during our grand daughter's birthday week. Her name is Olivia as well, and the staff at Olivia's restaurant went out of the way to make her feel special. I hope you get the birthday girls to Olivia's!

Oh my...it's starting to set in:eek:...

We ran into a snag:scared:...We can't find the carseat carrier (backpack) for Emilee's car seat! I bought it in 2008 when I flew with DD2 but I held on to it specifically for this trip. I promised my sister that I would carry the backpack and be in charge of it if she agreed to use it on the airplane. Now, it's AWOL. I had it out about a month ago to wash it. Then, I brought it over to my sister's house to make sure the car seat and the Bumbo seat both fit in it. I *swear* I left it there for her...she said that it sat at the top of the stairs for "weeks"...now she can't find it. Neither of us can remember if I brought it back home...I don't know why I would have done that. She thinks that maybe she brought it over to the parents' house, but I checked there...nope. It's HUGE so it's not like it could be hiding in a drawer or something. She is at work now and doesn't get home until 9pm so she said she will check the basement when she gets home. She said that there is a possibility that DBiL brought it down there for "safekeeping".

I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it is there:worried:. Since I promised that we'd have it, I feel obligated to provide it. It's only available online so if we can't find it soon, I'll have to order it.

On another note, I spent the afternoon at mom and dad's today. Dad works from home on Mondays so I go there for lunch on my days off. We sealed and labeled the boxes. The baby stuff is 20 pounds and the other box is nearly 50! It looks like it will cost about $60 to mail both of them. We're sending them UPS next Tuesday so that they will arrive by Friday.

Mom was a hoot:rotfl2:. She was showing me the stuff she was going to pack. First, she hauls out a suitcase the size of a sofa:laughing:. I told her that it is so big, she better make sure that it won't be considered oversized. She said, "Oh, it won't be over 50 pounds":rolleyes1. Oh dear...I have a little educating to do:teacher:. Out comes the tape measure...62 linear inches empty. It might be close since AirTran's limit is 64". My mom, still a little confused, says, "Kris, 64 inches is over 5 feet! This isn't even close to 5 feet tall":rotfl: Aye carumba:sad2:... It's not like she's never flown before. They went on an Alaskan cruise 3 years ago and not a lot has changed since then.

So then we move on to her toiletries. She had her lipstick, toothpaste, Neosporin and lip ointment (among other things) all set to go in her carryon...then, she hauls out her 3-1-1 bag, which was already full:upsidedow. Again, mom needs a little remediation. The tricky thing with mom is that she has an implanted spinal cord stimulator so she will set off the machine at the airport. She already knows that she'll be subject to a pat-down so she is prepared. I told her that she may want to leave for the airport about 30 minutes before everyone else because she will definitely cause a traffic jam at security. We'll probably all go through and act like we don't know her:snooty:.

Now I need to wait until my sister gets home and checks for that backpack:rolleyes1!

Well, no luck with the backpack...DSis says it wasn't in her basement. I went ahead and ordered a new one from Amazon.com yesterday...

...and of course, guess what turned up underneath a box in our garage today? Yup, there it was, folded in half underneath a huge empty storage box that DH uses for target practice:sad2:. Luckily, I was able to cancel the order from Amazon since it hadn't shipped yet. Let me tell you, this took a huge load off my mind:flower3:. I had a feeling that I was the one responsible for losing it and I really felt obligated to provide it as promised. DH was NOT happy when I told him I spent $40 to order a new one:mad:. We have ZERO use for it so I understand why he was upset. Finding it this morning was a great start to my day...

...and then I stepped on the scale....

:dance3: :banana: :dance3: :banana: :dance3: :banana: :dance3: :banana:

I made it down to 155:woohoo:!!! I guess my bike riding and lettuce diet paid off:rotfl:. (Ok, it wasn't just lettuce...but I have maintained a strict 1200-calorie/day diet for the last 2 weeks) The lowest I have been in the last 15 years was the 153 that I weighed last Easter when we went to HHI. I was back up to 164 pounds as of 2 weeks ago so I was a little depressed about that:sad1:. I would love to drop 2 or 5 more pounds but I am not going to stress about it. I know that I will probably gain 8-10 pounds while I am there so I want to start out as low as possible without being unhealthy:goodvibes.

It was the last day of school today and the girls are getting really excited for next week. This Saturday is DNephew's birthday party. It's at his other grandpa's house and they have a huge outdoor pool. Since it is supposed to be sunny and 80 degrees, I can't wait for this weekend:beach:.

I'm off to work now...only 3 more shifts:cool1:...

Tomorrow, I will do the SINGLE-DIGIT DANCE:dancer:

...that we will all be together before we leave:grouphug:! My nephew turns 9 on Tuesday so his party is today. The only person that can't make it to the party is my DH...he has to work:sad1:.

There are still a few final preparations to do which we will probably cover today. My SiL has decided to send down a package too (in addition to the 2 that mom has already prepared) so I need to bring her a label. I have to bring the strollers and carseat bag to my sister since I won't see her before we leave either. She used to work on the east side of the state (Canton) and their family is leaving around noon on Friday so that she can meet up with an old friend.

I have no idea what time my brother's family is planning on leaving on Friday, but dad said he is leaving work at 2 so we'll probably be on the road by 3.

I've gotten almost everything done:banana:. I need to vaccuum my truck and actually pack the bags (for real, no more practicing:lmao:) but otherwise, we are pretty much good to go:yay:.

I need to make it through two more shifts at work (and they will be ROUGH:headache:) and then go with mom and my DD's to get pedicures on Thursday.

Friday cannot get here soon enough:rolleyes1

Good Morning:goodvibes.

If I can make it through the next 2 days without completely going crazy, I will be good to go:rolleyes1. I got up at 7:30am today and I'm waiting for the girls to get ready for church. After church, my parents take the kids and I boogie on home to try and catch a nap from 11:30-1pm. Then, it's off to work I go...2:30pm until 4:30am, if I'm lucky:headache:. DH is working today, but he is off tomorrow so I will get to sleep in until noon. Then, I get to work another 14 hours. Normally, these two shifts would be a breeze and I would just put myself on auto-pilot, but the scheduling gods lined up against me:mad:. I am a field training officer, which means that I am assigned brand new paramedics, fresh out of school, as my partners. I have to put them through a 3-5 month training program. As luck would have it, my new partner starts with me TODAY. The first week with a new hire is always the most stressful which is why I am not really happy that they waited until my last 2 days before vacation to assign him to me. My brain checked out last week:laughing:. So, hopefully I can muddle through the next 44 hours without too much drama:upsidedow.

That's it for now...I have to go light a fire under the kiddos since it is almost time to leave:teeth:.

In about 16 hours from now, I will be clocking out and I don't have to punch back in until JUNE 25:dance3:.

I'm really starting to get anxious now because the dream of the vacation is starting to become a reality. Years of planning are finally going to pay off:yay:. It's time to haul out the bags and pack them...FOR REAL:rotfl:.

But first, I must head off to work. Boy, you have no idea how tempted I am to call in "sick":sick:, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Hopefully, we'll be nice and busy and the shift will fly by:teleport:.

Oh boy!!! No more work days for me!! :dance3: Now, it's time to really get moving on those final preparations. I got the suitcases out into the living room and they are opened and waiting to be filled.

I have soooo many little things to do that I just want to get started and get it all done with. I have a load of laundry in the dryer and when it is done, I will be able to do a "final" pack for me and the DD's. By tomorrow, I should have everything except the last-minute items packed. DD8 just came up to me and said, "Mom, can you do me a favor? When it is the night before we leave, can you *not* tell me? I don't want to be so jacked up that I can't sleep.":hug:

DH still hasn't bought shoes, and he has to work tomorrow and Thursday so it's not looking like he is going to get new ones for this trip. He told me how he is going to pack...

"A handful of T-shirt, a handful of shorts, a handful of socks and a handful of underwear":lmao:.

I guess it won't take him too long at all to get his stuff together. Of course, once we get there, I'll here, "Where's my comb? Where's my razor? Did you pack hair gel?":rotfl:

All this talk of packing again has me motivated to go work on it some more.

Prepare for random sentences ahead...my thoughts get very scatterbrained as I get closer to the trip.

Have a wonderful trip Kristen! I have enjoyed reading your updates and I am looking forward to the post trip report. :goodvibes

I got a LOT done today:goodvibes.

Started the day a little late and took DD8 to the gym for a 4-hour day camp that she decided on doing this morning. DD6 decided she would rather hang out with me and run errands.

Next, it was off to the salon to get DD6's hair cut. They had an appointment available in 40 minutes. Perfect! We ran down the street to Target and bought socks for the girls, a camera, case and memory card for DD6, a memory card for my camera, and some disposable razors for DH.

Then, back to the salon where DD6 got a much-needed haircut. After the salon, I had to run back home and take the bike carrier off my truck. I cleaned all of the stuff out (I live in my truck:drive:) while DD scooted around on her scooter:moped:. When I was done, we headed to the car wash so I could vaccuum out the truck and then we got it washed.

By then, it was almost time to pick up DD8 from day camp. On the way, we stopped and bought some moleskin and some new wiper blades, as well as a run through BK for some lunch.

After picking up DD8, we went to the airport viewing area. I find that it eases my anxiety about flying if I watch planes take off and land like it's an everyday thing. While there, I finished detailing the inside of my truck while the girls ran around in the grass and played with some new "friends":flower3:.

By then, it was 5:30 and DH gets home from work around 6ish. We left the airport and stopped for an oil change on the way home.

DH came home about 5 minutes after we did and he immediately started going through his clothes to figure out what he is going to pack:faint:.

The rest of the night is going to be spent just hanging out. DD8 wants to go back to day camp tomorrow and I am seriously considering letting her attend again. I'd love it if DD6 would go too...that would give me 4 hours of peace and quiet:cloud9:.

We all have "pedicures" scheduled for 6pm tomorrow. The girls are just getting their nails polished and mom and I are getting the real thing. Dad sent me an e-mail and said that he wants to go over the upgrade process one more time before Friday. I think we've reviewed it about 5 times already, but he really wants to make sure he has it all in order:thumbsup2.

Until next time....

We're leaving for Detroit today:dance3:!

My sister's family is leaving around 1pm because they want to stop and visit a friend that lives on the other side of the mitten. They will head to the hotel after that.

My family is heading over to my parents' house at 2:30 to pick them up and we will be on the road by 3pm.

My brother's family is bringing up the rear. He doesn't get out of work until 5 so they won't be on the road much before 6pm.

At 11:15, I have to get online and do our check in with the airline. We're keeping our fingers crossed that we can get 10 of us upgraded:wizard:. Dad is going to go online and upgrade one family at the same time that I do the other family. So far, the BC section is still wide open so I am optimistic that we will be successful:flower3:.

...Stay Tuned for the resultspopcorn::...

We all made it to Detroit, safe and sound:goodvibes. Everyone was very impressed by their suite. The hotel did a great job! My brother and his family are right next door to us. Across the hall is my sister and her family, next to my parents.

As expected, we arrived first around 5:15pm. My sister's family arrived at 6pm and we walked over to Big Boy for dinner. My brother's family arrived around 8pm since they stopped for dinner along the way.

After dinner, my girls and my 3yo niece went swimming for almost an hour. Little Emilee decided that she liked her dinner so much, she wanted to see it again...on my shirt:eek:. She returned her carrots all over my WHITE zip-front hoodie that I am planning on wearing all week, including on the plane tomorrow. Well, since I had to throw the swimsuits in the dryer anyways, I just did a quick load of laundry too.

Everyone is in bed now. DD8 is asleep, thanks to her melatonin:angel: and DH is reading a bedtime story to DD6. I still have another 15 minutes before the laundry is dry and then I will take some melatonin and try to get some shut eye too.

Tomorrow morning, we have the alarm set for 7am:sad2:. We are planning on walking out the door at 9am to head for the airport. The hotel serves a continental breakfast so we'll "fill up" before we leave.

I will try my best to keep this updated and I will see what I can do about pictures. It didn't even occur to me to take pictures of the hotel room before we defiled it:rotfl:.

WOOHOOO! It's time for yall's big trip. Have a safe and quick flight tomorrow. :wizard:pixiedust: that the room will be ready when yall get there!! Keep us updated if you can.

wishing you an AWESOME family vacation!! Enjoy and savor every single second of it!!:)

Your long planned trip is finally here. I hope it's everything you thought it would be..or better. All your DIS friends are anxious to share your family fun. Enjoy every minute.

I can't wait to read how your trip turns out. Sounds like so much fun.

Just found your TR. I plan on leveraging your hard work, we are doing a trip like yours next June. Can't wait to find out how the trip goes!:coffee:

I'm subscribing! Have fun and post when you can! You have alot of fans out here hanging ...waiting for updates! LOL:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter