The Big Family Trip To WDW – Day 11

MrScubaBHT

Earning My Ears
Day 11 – Monday, July 15

The Big Family Trip to WDW – Day 11

I need to give a little background about today's trip to Universal Studios. Initially we had never planned on doing Universal. But my BIL really wanted to do Universal (a surprise since he really isn't a Park fan) the previous Monday. But I talked them into adding another day and goind to BB that Monday and in turn we would go to Universal with them today. If it wouldn't have been for this promise I probably would have been content to stay at the motel and swim and relax since my feet are killing me now after 7 straight days of non-stop walking. The kids feet and my wife's feet seem to be doing fine, but for some reason my heels are just really tender and sore. No blisters, just ache. But a promise is a promise.

My BIL wanted to leave at 8:30 this morning. I misunderstood and thought they were going to wake up at 8:30 so my SIL calls us at 8:15 and asks us if we are ready to go. Ooops, we haven't even made it out of bed yet. I tell here we will be ready in about 30 minutes. We all rush to get ready and I grab everyone some breakfast from the Continental Breakfast Bar on our way out. We still make it to the park a little after opening.

One big difference in Universal is there isn't the rush of people waiting to get in at park opening. We get our tickets and are through the gates in under 5 minutes.

We head straight to the back of the park and do Twister. Great special effects show complete with a mini-tornado, rain, explosions and blowing wind. You will get wet on this one, but not soaked.

After twister we grab Express Passes for Kong. The best thing about Universal's Express Pass is it gives you a choice of two return times. Most of the Express Pass return times we get are within 5 minutes so we go straight to the EP return line and get in immediately (Universal lets EP users on 5 minutes before posted return time). For Kong you get in an Airial Tram and Kong hits, pushes, roars, and drops the tram several times. Kong is very good and exciting, but Kong is a little scary, so I would avoid taking kids that scare easy on this one.

We head over to Earthquake to find that it is down and end up getting EP for Jaws and are able to use them immediately. Jaws is also very intense and not for the little ones. You will most likely get wet on this one too. Lots of gun fire, explosions, fire, and Jaws pops up everywhere and splashes the boat.

We grab burgers at the Drive-In Diner and then head back to MIB where we grab out EP and get right on. This is very similar to Buzz but IMHO is much better. The ride is longer and the sets are over 2 stories tall and very impressive.

It's on to T2 3D. This is the best 3D show ever. It combines 3D with live actors that appear to come out of the screen an onto the stage and then dissappear back into the film. At one point the screen is 180 degrees with objects flying all around. The finalle is great. The final explosion results in a big wave of fog engulfing the everyone. If you sit several rows back you will see people disappearing in front of you and eventually it encases you. You can't even see your hand in front of your face, the fog is that thick. Great show, not to be missed.

We do ET, which is a lot like Peter Pans Flight, but with better visuals and better story line.

Earthquake is back on line and we do it. Very good special effects, lots of flames and water. However, you won't get wet on this one.

We are able to do all of the major attractions by 5:00 pm and decide to do Nickolodean as our last stop before going back to the motel. This is good because I can barely walk now and this is by far the hotest park of all. It's set in a City and there isn't much shade and everywhere its Asphault and Cement.

Once inside the stuios I'm picked to be the Blue Team Captain. I didn't even volunteer, they just walked up and asked me if I would be the team captain. I end up having to put on a Jimmy Neutron costume, pretty hillarious. Our team wins!!!!!

Ok, time to go back to the motel.

Once back at the motel we order in Pizza and then hit the hottub to soak the tired aching feet. We spend about 2 hours in and out of the pool and hot tub before retiring for the evening.

Tomorrow we are packing up and heading to the beach for some much needed R-n-R.

smart plan to head to the beach for a few days after non-stop theme park touring. with your screen name...do you do any diving? did you check into the dive epcot program?

Yes I dive. I'm a PADI Dive Instructor. And Yes I looked into diving at Epcot, but they want way to much $$$$ for about 30 minutes of dive time. And after visiting the Living Seas (See my post for Day 6) I'm glad I didn't waste my money. Instead we went diving in Destin, FL and for a two tank boat dive it was only $55 + tank rental.

Sounds like you did a lot at Universal! Thanks for posting. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter