The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are all johnsonet's photos, aren't they beautiful?! It just seems like me, since I've been posting so much today.:rotfl:

Good point about the pool elevator, btw, much easier for the 2nd floor rooms.

Those are all johnsonet's photos, aren't they beautiful?! It just seems like me, since I've been posting so much today.:rotfl:

Good point about the pool elevator, btw, much easier for the 2nd floor rooms.

Oops...sorry! :laughing: Good to see so many GF fans here today, isn't it? :grouphug:

Well, I'm obviously losing it, here is a photo from allearsnet of the small staircase from the 3rd to 4th floors, and it continues to the 5th.:laughing:
gf122.jpg

No, unfortunately that's their normal way. Of all the IPOs I've dealt with, they are the least chatty. They usually get the job done, but without any warm and fuzzies.:laughing:

I wanted to second johnsonet's info. I can't think of any way from the second to the third floor except by elevator.

Figment1990 - so close! I know what you mean about making so many plans at the GF while staying elsewhere, we always do the same. And I smiled at your comment about the smell of the lobby, I was just saying the same to a CM in booking and they didn't know what I meant! The flowers smell so wonderful.:cloud9:

I have to agree about the IPO office -- they were helpful, not the least chatty or particularly friendly. So different from BC and AKL...

I will 3rd the information about the elevator. It was actually a problem for us -- it took forever to get an elevator on the 3rd or 4th floors just to go down to the lobby or monorail floor. So much so that we were worried we'd be late a few times... Really ridiculous, IMO, and our one complaint against staying RPC again -- we felt trapped! :eek: A few times we went all the way down the hall, used the back elevator, went back to the lobby and up the stairs to the 2nd floor -- honestly I didn't find RPC to be more conveniently located than any other room at the GF...:sad2:

I'm sure there are stairs in case of fire but they may be locked so you can't enter the floor KWIM.

This was our thinking as well -- but they are definitely not available for guest use...

When we stayed at AKL and Poly, we really just used the stairs most of the time... I really don't understand the set-up at the GF.:confused:

Well, I'm obviously losing it, here is a photo from allearsnet of the small staircase from the 3rd to 4th floors, and it continues to the 5th.:laughing:
gf122.jpg

Thanks ;) Now I know I'm not crazy. And I just remembered why my DD and I had to take the elevator from the 5th floor that trip - b/c the main building was being refurbished and there was new carpeting and paint going on that staircase and it was sectioned off :thumbsup2 That would've been August 2007.

I have to agree about the IPO office -- they were helpful, not the least chatty or particularly friendly. So different from BC and AKL...

I will 3rd the information about the elevator. It was actually a problem for us -- it took forever to get an elevator on the 3rd or 4th floors just to go down to the lobby or monorail floor. So much so that we were worried we'd be late a few times... Really ridiculous, IMO, and our one complaint against staying RPC again -- we felt trapped! :eek: A few times we went all the way down the hall, used the back elevator, went back to the lobby and up the stairs to the 2nd floor -- honestly I didn't find RPC to be more conveniently located than any other room at the GF...:sad2:

This was our thinking as well -- but they are definitely not available for guest use...

When we stayed at AKL and Poly, we really just used the stairs most of the time... I really don't understand the set-up at the GF.:confused:

You're so right mmmears. We have experienced some interminable waits for the elevators in the main building too! You never have to wait at AKL (of course, there are more of them) and at the Poly we always walk too. LOVE the stairs there - so convenient :thumbsup2

mmmears - I know what you mean, the last time we stayed RPC the elevators were sooo slow. Not sure why, it used to be much quicker to come and go.

The only excuse I can see for the way things are set up at the GF is the second floor is full of shops and restaurants and open to the monorail. It must be difficult to figure out how to restrict access to RPC rooms, they have a tougher time than at the Poly, where Hawaii is a separate building. Perhaps that's why they did the stairs in AKL the way they did, with keyed access. ??

johnsonet - that makes sense! We were there in the summer of 2007 as well, but that's not the visit where we were on the fifth floor. I just have a foggy memory.;)

not sure what time they can extend checkout to, but the showers near the beach pool come equipped with towels/toiletries so you could always freshen up there before your flight!

We are staying CL Sugarloaf in May and are hoping for a late checkout on Sunday, May 23. Our plan doesn't leave until 7:00 PM so DME will probably pick us up around 4:00 PM. I don't want to be without a place to rest or freshen up mid-day before going to the airport if necessary. What is the latest they will give us for a late check-out?

If we can't get a late check-out, do we have any other option for finding a place to rest or freshen up? I'm assuming once we are checked out of the room that we won't be able to get into the CL lounge (maybe I should ask about the CL angle on the CL thread).

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: I FOUND THE ANSWER ON ANOTHER THREAD! DISREGARD THE QUESTION!

i'm not sure what answer you got on the cl thread. i just wanted to share our experience. we just checked out a week ago. we were told in order to get a late check out, we had to call housekeeping the day before check out to request it. we had connecting rooms with my parents. when we called, we were told we could have 12:30 checkout and my parents had to be out of their room by 11 am. what was a little frustrating was that no one did anything to their room in the whole hour and a half between when they "had" to be out at 11 and when we left at 12:30. we had the connecting door open the entire time and the room sat empty.

we let the kids swim and then had them shower at the waterfall pool. they had hairdryers in there. there were lockers and a changing area and a bench. they also had wall dispensers in the showers with soap, shampoo, and conditioner, except all the dispensers in both the men's and women's rooms had no actual conditioner in them. one dispenser even actually had more shampoo.

out kttw cards still worked and we could still use the lounge and elevators after the times we had to be out of our rooms.

I will 3rd the information about the elevator. It was actually a problem for us -- it took forever to get an elevator on the 3rd or 4th floors just to go down to the lobby or monorail floor. So much so that we were worried we'd be late a few times... Really ridiculous, IMO, and our one complaint against staying RPC again -- we felt trapped!

We have always wanted to stay there and have always dreamed of staying in a lobby room.
With your elevator experience do you think the other concierge building would be a better bet? I would hate to miss the park opening or a dinner.

thanks

We have always wanted to stay there and have always dreamed of staying in a lobby room.
With your elevator experience do you think the other concierge building would be a better bet? I would hate to miss the park opening or a dinner.

thanks

No, I just had to add extra time to our "travels." I'm not a fan of elevators in general, and just don't understand why there isn't some other option, I guess. I'd stay there again, if that's what you're wondering...:confused3

I contacted IPO this morning-staying in the Sugarloaf building this summer!
I'm not sure if I want to make a room request. Possibly a lodge tower room- I know there are only what, 3 of those rooms- but the extra space would be nice if it was available!
Any other suggestions? Are the dormer rooms smaller?
thanks!

Dormer rooms appear to be smaller. I think it looks smaller because of the roof line. Also, they don't have a day bed. I turned down that room last year in SL. We needed to have our kids in two separate beds. Our room was changed.

Do the dormer rooms have balconies?

Yes, they do. Here is some information from the first page of this thread:

gf-fplan.gif
Standard guestrooms average about 448 square feet and typically have two queen sized beds, (or one king sized bed) and a daybed (in rooms with 2 queen beds). There is also a spacious armoire, television, table with two chairs, walk-in closet, fridge, small safe, iron and ironing board, nightstand, telephone (with an additional one in the bathroom), ceiling fan, hairdryer, Mickey lamp, make-up mirror and double marble sinks in a vanity area separate from the tub and commode. In the vanity area, H20 brand toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and shower cap are found and there is a retractable clothesline in the shower. A coffee maker is available in each room.

Most rooms lead out onto a patio or balcony. A typical guestroom sleeps 5, but the Lodge Tower and Concierge Deluxe rooms sleep 4. Dormer or "attic" rooms at the Grand Floridian are in the upper floors under the gabled roofs. These rooms are slightly smaller than the Standard guest-rooms but appear larger because the vaulted ceilings. A private balcony compensates for the lack of room size. Dormer rooms sleep 4 adults.

There are 26 one, two and three-bedroom suites available. Suites have two queen sized beds, or one king sized bed, and a separate parlor area with a wet bar. These rooms can sleep between 4 and 10 adults, depending on the suite type. These suites may include a hamper and upscale line of toiletries in the bathrooms, padded satin hangers, and larger screen televisions.

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to purchase a CD of the GF lobby piano music at Sandy Cove . . . does anyone know if there is also a CD of the band that plays in the evenings? :confused3

Having a cruddy day and just wishing that I was sitting in the lobby listening to all that music that is so quintessentially GF . . . pixiedust:

Please tell me about using taxis at the Grand Floridian to get to parks and other resorts. Faster? Cost? Thank you.

Are the taxis faster than Disney's bus transportation? I never waited more than about 10-20 minutes for a Disney bus and we liked that time to finish coffee and talk about our plans for the day. Was I lucky? I've heard of people waiting 40+ minutes and that the buses may be nearly full from the Contemporary by the time the buses pick up at the Polynesian and GF.

For resorts, I know the buses don't go between resorts (usually), so we would have to take the monorail to TTC, then bus to resort or bus to Epcot and walk to resorts in that area, or something like that.

Here's where we might take a taxi to, from the GF. Any idea about time/costs? Better to take the bus?
  • Epcot
  • Hollywood Studios
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge (This was $25 to Poly last year)
  • Boardwalk Resort
  • Beach Club
  • Wilderness Lodge
  • Mini-Golf by Entrance to Blizzard Beach
  • Downtown Disney

DisneyPrincess SL is an awesome building to stay in! If you really would like a lodge tower room I would make that the first request on my ressie...

Mr Gf There are no lobby rooms in the main building..:confused: they start on the second floor...and I think the greatest number of regualr CL rooms are located on the 3rd and 4th floors...:)

mmm Maybe the elevator service depends on the time of year ...I was there in January and March and on both stays there was very little waiting..I will say I do like that back elevator too! Kind of like a secret entrance!!:laughing:

DisneyFamily W No help from me...we always use the disney transportation and like you really have never had a very long wait...:thumbsup2

stitchlet There is nothing like sitting in the lobby listening to that wonderful music!:cloud9:

Returning to the Gf after a long day in the parks is so wonderful too!

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to purchase a CD of the GF lobby piano music at Sandy Cove . . . does anyone know if there is also a CD of the band that plays in the evenings? :confused3

Having a cruddy day and just wishing that I was sitting in the lobby listening to all that music that is so quintessentially GF . . . pixiedust:

i would love to know the answer to this. i looked at sandy cove for any gf cd and found none. i also tried m. mouse mercantile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter