the age-old big kid stroller question....

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Mrs~Incredible, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MichaelWill&Megan'sMom

MichaelWill&Megan'sMom Mouseketeer

Mine are now 14, 11, and 10 - we never used a stroller past 4 years old. Anywhere. Stroller free is easier and when the kids got tires we went to the pool. It was never an issue. As a teacher - not judging, but an observation - I find it strange to see an older child in a stroller. It isn't a big deal when I see a younger child not using it and an older kid sitting in it, but it is developmentally worrysome for an older child (6+) to need a stroller without underlying issues.

2. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

I'm a teacher. Why is "developmentally worrisome" to see a big kid in a stroller? What's it to you what another family decides is right for them? So what if big kids use strollers? People pay thousands for this vacay and if it lets them enjoy the parks longer and get more bang to their buck who cares? If i choose a stroller for my 6 yo then it is my choice. You can keep your worries focused on YOUR kids.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

Exactly. DW is a speech therapist at an elementary school, and she had no problems with our kids using a stroller. As I said before, I frankly don't care either way what anyone thinks...our kids, our choice. But I'm a bit confused as to why it's "developmentally worrisome" to see a bigger kid in a stroller at a place as big as WDW. At home, I really don't even remember when the kids stopped using a stroller, but it's something like 4 or 5. But we kept the double umbrella stroller for WDW use only. Very glad we did.

5. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

Right? I took my daughter to cedar point last summer. 12 solid park hours no stroller. Now, can she do that 8 days in a row? WDW is not the same as going to a mall or even other parks. There are big kids in strollers and little kids walking. Whatever works for families is just fine and no one else's business.

maxiesmom likes this.
  6. lilly6

lilly6 Earning My Ears

My husband is a physical therapist and a former teacher, both high school and preschool. You may be sure we had no developmental concerns nor gave a rusty hoot what some random person might think about whether our kid used a stroller.

maxiesmom and Capang like this.
  7. Angelaann

Angelaann Earning My Ears

On our first trip, we were scared into renting a double and single stroller for our kids 3 1/2, 6 & 6. We brought the single to MK the first day, parked it and forgot about it for the rest of the day. We never even open the double stroller. It obviously depends on the child, but if you have children who are used to walking, I would say over 4 probably doesn't need a stroller.

8. mamaofsix

mamaofsix Earning My Ears

At home, we stop using a stroller for our kids around age 3. At Disney - different story! Easily extended that to age 6.

Honestly, one of the best parts of using the stroller was not to save our kids feet - it was to store all of our gear! With a large family, our big basket under the stroller was the perfect place to store water bottles, rain coats, and that heavy backback. Kinda dreading the day when all of our kids are "too old" for a stroller - where will we stash all of our things ?!? :)

9. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

In a stroller. That's what we do. We pack all of our own food, we don't eat in WDW restaurants (we're health nuts...and we're cheap). So we often bring in a full dinner for a family of 5...main course, sides, veggies, 7 sodas (caffeine free diet of course). Plus water bottles (though we now tend to use QS free ice water), ponchos, sunscreen, autograph books, etc.. We have an umbrella stroller and it's our "gear stroller". The food goes in a monster size soft sided cooler that sits in the actual seat of the stroller, and the bag straps fit nicely across the stroller handles so it doesn't fall. The gear goes in a bag that hangs on the back of the stroller. It works awesome. Couldn't imagine doing without it.

mamaofsix likes this.
  10. QueenGsMama

QueenGsMama Earning My Ears

It was a magical time and it only lasted for 1 visit. 2 years ago I was pregnant with our 2nd and our oldest was 4 almost 5. We didn't bring a stroller and it was glorious. However, by the end of day 1 she was getting tired and we decided to do the park rental for the week, that way we could grab one if we needed it. This worked out great and she ended up falling asleep in it most nights.

Flash forward to last year we did the stroller rental delivery and got a double jogger. Worked out fantastically! Perfect for our youngest who was under 2 and our oldest jumped in when she started to slow down. We plan on doing the same in August. Our youngest will be almost 3 and if our oldest needs the break, she will be 7, she has it, if not, she doesn't.

I long for the future days of no stroller.

11. lilly6

lilly6 Earning My Ears

When my son was 11 months old, I had a surprise medical condition (severe blood clot in my leg) and was only allowed to make the trip if I used a wheelchair and didn't stand more than 5 minutes at a time. My husband dutifully pushed me everywhere in that wheelchair. My son was really too small for a Disney stroller so we had our own full-size one from home which at the time was not particularly compact. My son was just on the verge of starting table food but not living on it so we carried around tons of jars of baby food and bottles. We had one backpack for general use and one for just baby stuff. We got off the bus at the resort one night and my husband was getting me off the bus, while my mother got off with the baby in a snuggly hanging from the front of her, a backpack on one hand, a purse on the other and a stroller handing from one arm. Anything more streamlined than that we've been thankful for in future trips, lol.

12. mmcl123

mmcl123 Earning My Ears

For you to say that as a teacher you find it strange to see an older child in a stroller...you are, in fact, judging. You can't preface something by saying you're not judging, and then go ahead and judge someone for their choices. Really, to each his own.

Rwsm2011, Capang and maxiesmom like this.
  13. chiisai

chiisai i am satisfied with my care

Anyone able to help me out with a question? What lighter weight stroller do you take for your big kid?

My 46inch 42 pound dd sprained her ankle recently, and while she has healed, she aggravates it periodically and we ice it. I'm going to get a stroller for her as I'm concerned about a re-injury with wdw walking.

We need a seat back that can go up to 23 inches (that can include canopy for part of it).

She has a knee to bottom of foot length of about 11 inches.

I've narrowed it to the uppa baby g-lite (or luxe, but I don't really see a need for the luxe), the britax b-agile, and the city Mini (or gt).

My concern with the b-agile is that the 2016/17 models lose the footplate and I wonder if her feet will drag on the ground or be very uncomfortable. I am not having luck finding any on Craigslist newer than 2011, hoping something will come up in the 13/14/15 timeframe that still have the footrest.

The uppa baby g series (luxe or lite) is going to suck to push with this much weight, if it's anything like their 2008 g-luxe version, which I had and used for a trip when she was four and a half. Stroller is nice and would fit her well enough, but rough push.

The city Mini seat to knee seems short and the length to footrest also seems short. 17 pounds is doable (same as the b-agile). It sounds like the GT would definitely work, but carrying 22 pounds of stroller into the buses makes me squirm a bit. Should I just get over it and rent the GT?

Thoughts from been theres done thats?

14. Smittolis

Smittolis Mouseketeer

Measurements from my GT double:

Seat bottom to Canopy = 23inches
    Seat to foot rest = 11inches
    Seat width = 10.5inches

The thing to take into consideration is that the GT is a touch wider in the seat due to a slight redesign so doesn't pinch in the hip area like the mini can for older kids. This is one of the reasons we upgraded to the GT. The wheels are a million times better than the standard Mini and although it is heavier than our standard mini version I could hardly tell the difference when lugging it around.

And as testament to its functionality, my 11yr old DD also fits in there and takes the occasional nap! Lol

15. chiisai

Thanks, I think this is my best option. Just not looking forward to getting it on the buses. :) I appreciate you getting me the stats.

16. Smittolis

Smittolis Mouseketeer

It's not as bad as you think, my wife handles the GT double so if you are doing a single you will be fine. As they fold down so slim and you can use the fold away handles to carry it, its ergonomically efficient to carry so you will do great. I'd get the GT if you are renting!

17. chiisai

I am reserving now!

18. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

46 inches and 42 lbs? I've put much bigger into an umbrella type stroller with no issues. Make sure it has the strap that goes between the front wheels, so the child can put their feet on it for rest. If the strap then sags and touches the wheels, twist it several times and it'll stay up. I wouldn't waste money on anything fancy for a child that small.

19. Willabea

Willabea Earning My Ears

If only I could get my kids to cooperate, I'd climb in the stroller and let them push me for an afternoon nap... :P

Rwsm2011 likes this.
  20. nat8199

nat8199 DIS Veteran

OMG... my kids will be 7, 7, and, 8 when we go (the boys turn 7 the day before we leave). It never even occurred to me that they might need a stroller. I honestly think I will cry if I have to deal with one again. They did a 4 mile hike one day followed by a day walking around a zoo from 9-3:30 a few weeks ago. I am really hoping we don't end up needing to rent a stroller while we are there.

21. bigbabyblues

bigbabyblues DIS Veteran

We stopped at 3 with the oldest (yes, even at Disney) and 4 with the youngest.

LongLiveRafiki likes this.