The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

But, if you consider you'd spend probably close to that on a few TS meals, you're about at the same spending.

That is true and this doesn't take HOURS out of my day. If you read my TR you know that our TS meals were a good 2-3 hours wasted everyday.

Oh boy!! Scotland! I'm part Scotch and love my visit there too. The only food I remember was jugged hare that I wasn't very fond of, but then was quite a bit younger and don't remember a ton. I'm so glad you get to experience it again and love that you get to make more memories along the way.

My mom has been doing family history and confirmed that I am part Scot on both her and my dad's side. It explains my pull to the country. I didn't have jugged hare but I actually do like Haggis. I just don't want a conversation of what is in it while I am eating it. I also like a local delicacy here in Philly called Scrapple but again I do NOT want to have a description of what it is made from, especially while eating it.

Thanks! Zoos are wonderful places, especially when animals are given refuge who wouldn't otherwise be able to make it in the wild.

This is part of the reason I joined several years ago. I pay for the membership but have 6 or 7 grandkids on it as well as one of my daughters. It gets used quite a bit and the kids are real animal lovers but as they have gotten older understand that we are helping to keep some of the species alive.

OH my! I can't even imagine the turtles. Umm.... LOL! But adding sound?! But, that's a pretty good explanation in my book. ;)

The kids have seen their fair share of animals but the Galapagos are the most visible and vocal. The older ones of course now understand and just look at me rolling their eyes. it worked for them when they were little. It's better than some of the comments I have heard from other people over the years about how disgusting that is and they shouldn't be doing things like that in the open where children can see it.

Thank, Cyndi! You are the 2nd person to say they'd seen turtle doin' it. LOL!
I grew up on a farm. Seen many different animals. The funniest are pigs. PM me if you're interested in why. It IS (or was until you posted pics) a family board. :rotfl2: :lmao:

Oh yeah...forgot since I'm starting to sound like a broken record...great pics! I think I need to coin a new acronym for the DIS. GPAU - Great Pics As Usual. GPAN - Great Pics As Normal. Now, I have to think up a really good one...something as good as they did with Alien Swirling Saucers --- That was just brilliant naming DIS.

And that makes sense. Oregonians, although fewer, do go to the beach in the winter, but mainly to watch the winter storm waves. Cold and wet though.

Here it's just..... cold.

Sometimes you don't know what ya got until you get home and throw stuff up on the bigger screen. TA-DA!!!

::yes::

Well, about 300 or so hundred people that day got quite a show.

Okay.... aside from you and 300 people, I imagine not many have seen that. ;)

That zoo looks fantastic! Such a large variety of animals.

At first I laughed at the elephant situation, because it was amusing and then I realized, "Oh jeez, that's where I'm going to be at in a few years when the kids take the obligatory zoo field trip.":sad2::laughing:

The kids have seen their fair share of animals but the Galapagos are the most visible and vocal. The older ones of course now understand and just look at me rolling their eyes. it worked for them when they were little. It's better than some of the comments I have heard from other people over the years about how disgusting that is and they shouldn't be doing things like that in the open where children can see it.
I don't get that. :( Why communicate that it's "disgusting". When a parent senses their child is old enough (and every situation/kid is different!) then be honest. Until then be appropriate to the age or development and "have the talk". That's my take anyways. Why would a zoo hide a normal part of animal behavior? :confused3

I grew up on a farm. Seen many different animals. The funniest are pigs. PM me if you're interested in why. It IS (or was until you posted pics) a family board. :rotfl2: :lmao:

Oh yeah...forgot since I'm starting to sound like a broken record...great pics! I think I need to coin a new acronym for the DIS. GPAU - Great Pics As Usual. GPAN - Great Pics As Normal. Now, I have to think up a really good one...something as good as they did with Alien Swirling Saucers --- That was just brilliant naming DIS.

Oopsies. :blush: :laughing:

And thanks, Doc!

LOLOLOL!!! Yeah how are we gonna deal with that one?!

That zoo looks fantastic! Such a large variety of animals.

It really is a very nicely done zoo. Africa, Asia, tundra, PNW (Pacific Northwest), a petting zoo, and the elephants. Enough for an entire day of fun!

At first I laughed at the elephant situation, because it was amusing and then I realized, "Oh jeez, that's where I'm going to be at in a few years when the kids take the obligatory zoo field trip.":sad2::laughing:

Yep, every parent has to be initiated.:rotfl2:

And, because I'm going to spend the day at the Zoo and seeing the Oregon Symphony at the Zoo all day tomorrow, I'm going to post tomorrow's Countdown Photo of the Day as well.

What is everyone else doing this weekend??

Well we went to the Duck game and caught up with old friends. This weekend, we need to attack some of those boxes that are yet unpacked. Winter is coming and we might want the garage.

F is for: FOOD FLIGHT!!

It's the weekend so time for a post- a Food Post. Because who doesn't love food?!?

I know there are many of us who choose the restaurants we go to based on the menus and the theming. And of course, you know what they say,... "Location, location, location!!!" Yes, in fact, I did choose where to eat based on the itinerary I put together, and ahead of going, I enjoy heading to the online menus and do a "light" pre-choosing. By that I mean, no, I'm not setting in stone what I for sure will order, but I do enjoy staying up to date in my "know-before-you-go". That way there aren't any surprises in terms of ... "Am I even going to still like this place?"

Case in point... Artist Point to be exact, will no longer be what it once was soon. (I hate that by the way.) If I'd gone and was looking for the beloved Mushroom Soup, only to find 7 Dwarfs and a Buffet (#greatbandname), I'd have been... I'll use the family friendly term, "upset".

Every trip I try to re-visit some old favorites and add a few new places to the mix. I am really loving this year's lineup and want to share it with you. I promise to give each one a fair and thorough review when I get back. Lots of pix, k?

On to the deets!

My inate and unwavering sense of nostalgia and need for tradition dictates I try hard to start every trip with DTD. (Also, because of my inate and unwavering sense of nostalgia and need for tradition, I will always call it DTD.) That being said, I'm starting out my trip with Morimoto. I've not tried a ton of DTD places, but Raglan is a fave. I'm pretty positive that The Edison is going to outrank it soon, but I'll get to that. I've also tried Paddlefish, and was more than a little disappointed. I'd give it another try but only for the rooftop bar and small plates. The other new places (TS) just don't appeal, but maybe because I've not seen very many reviews yet. Anywho, after looking at Morimoto's menu, I 100% cannot choose a single item that I am dying to try because it ALL looks good! I LOVED Su-Lynn's ( @chunkymonkey ) review of the Bimbap bowl and may go that route. I love a mix-at-the-table option. But again, since so many things look fantastic, this one will be a game-time choice.

The Morimoto Review

The rest, in no particular order:

Another ADR is the Sunday Brunch at Cali. I can't even express how excited I am about this! You all know I'm not a big eater (despite my prattling on about the 14 million F&W picks) and I know this is expensive for what I will probably end up eating, but that view! That elegance! The variety! I'm super looking forward to the unlimited mimosas, the Eggs Benedict, the Vanilla Bean French Toast, the charcuterie, and a hundred other amazing items available. I found this review that might be interesting to you if you find yourself in need of a delicious (er, I hope it is!) option. I doubt I'll spring for the Bloody Mary Bar, but I DO love a good one and might. Stay tuned....

The Cali Brunch Review

For quite some time I've wanted to try out the Tutto Wine Cellar in Italy. I keep hearing nice things about this quiet little, tucked away place to recharge with good food. Best of all, after a day of Fooding and Wining (not whining) the small plates will be welcome. And there's always room for more wine, right? I like that there are couches, and a fireplace, and low lighting, and not room for a ton of people. Has anyone else tried this one?

The Tutto Wine Cellar Review

Sanaa is another ADR I have lined up. This is a place I've only been to once... way back about the time it opened up. I rarely, even after all these years, hear a less than glowing review. I have seen the occasional slow service comment, but every place has that from time to time, and I'm not in a hurry anyway. I'm there for the food. And I am happy to wait for a window table too. One of my favorite Disney photos was from here, so it's worth the wait for the view.

The naan service is what I'll probably end up getting. I may change my mind and try one of the curries (I do adore a good curry!) but these seem pretty big if I get the naan too. We'll see....

The Sanaa Review

On my party day I have an ADR at the Plaza. I've heard amazing things about the Mac n Cheese with BBQ Brisket. Last party I went to, there were hardly any options for REAL food open after 9 or so, so I thought I'd better load up on something substantial before I put myself into a self-induced hyperglycemic state. (Should I carry insulin?!) I've never ever been to the Plaza, but the reviews are looking a lot better than even this time last year. I'll reserve judgement and let you know!

The Plaza Review

And now, for the one I've been looking forward to most for literally YEARS... The Edison. When I first started seeing the planning for this, it instantly went to the top of my Must-Do list. The steampunk theming looks incredible and, while it may not be everyone's cup of tea as far as entertainment is considered, there is live Jazz era music, acrobats, dancing, and magicians that perform, particularly after 10:00 PM (if burlesque or cabaret isn't your thing, maybe this isn't the place for you (not saying it's mine... just sayin'.)) I won't be staying that late this time, as it's a first dip, but holy cow, I'm happy it's finally open after years of pushed back opening dates! The burger gets rave reviews, but the Gooey Grilled Cheese is what I'm talkin' about! Come to Mama....

The Edison Review

I'm also going back to
HBD this year to grab a Cobb Salad and have another Apricot Sour in honor of Grandma (if they have the Apricot Brandy) but won't go into detail on this as it's an old standby that I've already done 2 reviews on. Cheers, GiGi!

Shockingly, I've never been to Narcoosee's or Citricos and am anxious to try them both. This year, I'm hitting up Citricos and am looking forward to some elegant dining. Yes, Cali Grill is, but it's not dinner. I like to dress up and treat myself on occasion so this will be that time. The menu looks fantastic and if I were to choose right this minute, I'd probably start with the Pate, then order the Halibut, and finish with the Lemon Cheesecake. But, who knows what the chef may have special for that night or what I'll be in the mood for.

The Citricos Review

Another must-do for the last several trips is
Tiffins. It's quite possibly my favorite restaurant for many reasons including ambiance, food, and service... I've had the whole fish twice now, and it's time for a change. Not sure to what honestly, so I guess we'll see. Again, if I were to order today I guess, (I'm getting hungrier as I've sat and written, so the sky's the limit!) I'd choose the:

Peaches and Cream - Masumoto peaches, burrata cheese, heirloom tomatoes, peach-maple reduction, salted-pecan brittle $14.00

Snake River Farm's Wagyu Eye of Ribeye - marble potato confit, bacon-sherry vinaigrette, cauliflower variations, amarula creme $53

or:

Pomegranate-Lacquered Chicken - sweet potato pap, Brussels sprouts, citrus-fennel salad $36

And this:

Whipped Cheesecake - Amarula panna cotta, sesame crumbs, espresso sponge $10

There are plenty of recent Tiffins reviews here on the Boards, so again won't bother. And that rounds out my list.

3 repeats, 4 new places, and 1 as a totally different experience. A nice blend, if I do say so myself. Now, your turn to make recommendations for any of the places on this list. How was it there? Food? Anything to remember to request or do?

I'm down to 2 1/2 weeks until I leave to spend the first part of my vacay with my parents. I really need to spend some time with them as I miss them terribly. In the meantime, I have another flying lesson on the 16th. Did I tell you guys that I flew last weekend and....

GOT TO BE ON THE CONTROLS FOR TAKEOFF AND LANDING?!

I am learning!!

It was soooo much better and far less scary than my first flight last May for my birthday. Maybe I'll get that pilot's license after all. Sure it's going to take years, but that is not what matters. Slow and steady wins the race. Right?

Steady on, Friends! Caio!

Last edited:
And of course, you know what they say,... "Location, location, location!!!"

That's houses. Restaurants, location doesn't matter. Decor doesn't matter. It's all about the food.
If it's crap, I don't care how well you dress it up. It's still crap.

Case in point... Artist Point to be exact, will no longer be what it once was soon. (I hate that by the way.) If I'd gone and was looking for the beloved Mushroom Soup, only to find 7 Dwarfs and a Buffet (#greatbandname), I'd have been... I'll use the family friendly term, "upset".

What???? When did this happen???

I remember you talking about the mushroom soup and had hoped to see for myself some day. :(

(Also, because of my inate and unwavering sense of nostalgia and need for tradition, I will always call it DTD.)

Crazy%20bird-M.jpg

Holy crap!!!! What an amazing shot!!!!!

I've heard amazing things about the Mac n Cheese with BBQ Brisket.

Whoa. That sounds.... awesome.

I won't be staying that late this time

Why on Earth not?!?!??!?
You say that everything starts at 10pm and you've been waiting for years.... and you're not going to stay????

have another Apricot Sour in honor of Grandma

Awww.... that's really nice. :)

Did I tell you guys that I flew last weekend and....

GOT TO BE IN ON THE CONTROLS FOR TAKEOFF AND LANDING?!

No way!!!! Way to go!! That's great!!! :goodvibes

I am learning!!

F is for: FOOD FLIGHT!!

It's the weekend so time for a post- a Food Post. Because who doesn't love food?!?

I know there are many of us who choose the restaurants we go to based on the menus and the theming. And of course, you know what they say,... "Location, location, location!!!" Yes, in fact, I did choose where to eat based on the itinerary I put together, and ahead of going, I enjoy heading to the online menus and do a "light" pre-choosing. By that I mean, no, I'm not setting in stone what I for sure will order, but I do enjoy staying up to date in my "know-before-you-go". That way there aren't any surprises in terms of ... "Am I even going to still like this place?"

Every trip I try to re-visit some old favorites and add a few new places to the mix. I am really loving this year's lineup and want to share it with you. I promise to give each one a fair and thorough review when I get back. Lots of pix, k?

On to the deets!

My inate and unwavering sense of nostalgia and need for tradition dictates I try hard to start every trip with DTD. (Also, because of my inate and unwavering sense of nostalgia and need for tradition, I will always call it DTD.) That being said, I'm starting out my trip with Morimoto. I've not tried a ton of DTD places, but Raglan is a fave. I'm pretty positive that The Edison is going to outrank it soon, but I'll get to that. I've also tried Paddlefish, and was more than a little disappointed. I'd give it another try but only for the rooftop bar and small plates. The other new places (TS) just don't appeal, but maybe because I've not seen very many reviews yet. Anywho, after looking at Morimoto's menu, I 100% cannot choose a single item that I am dying to try because it ALL looks good! I LOVED Su-Lynn's ( @chunkymonkey ) review of the Bimbap bowl and may go that route. I love a mix-at-the-table option. But again, since so many things look fantastic, this one will be a game-time choice.

The Morimoto Review

The rest, in no particular order:

Another ADR is the Sunday Brunch at Cali. I can't even express how excited I am about this! You all know I'm not a big eater (despite my prattling on about the 14 million F&W picks) and I know this is expensive for what I will probably end up eating, but that view! That elegance! The variety! I'm super looking forward to the unlimited mimosas, the Eggs Benedict, the Vanilla Bean French Toast, the charcuterie, and a hundred other amazing items available. I found this review that might be interesting to you if you find yourself in need of a delicious (er, I hope it is!) option. I doubt I'll spring for the Bloody Mary Bar, but I DO love a good one and might. Stay tuned....

The Cali Brunch Review

For quite some time I've wanted to try out the Tutto Wine Cellar in Italy. I keep hearing nice things about this quiet little, tucked away place to recharge with good food. Best of all, after a day of Fooding and Wining (not whining) the small plates will be welcome. And there's always room for more wine, right? I like that there are couches, and a fireplace, and low lighting, and not room for a ton of people. Has anyone else tried this one?

The Tutto Wine Cellar Review

Sanaa is another ADR I have lined up. This is a place I've only been to once... way back about the time it opened up. I rarely, even after all these years, hear a less than glowing review. I have seen the occasional slow service comment, but every place has that from time to time, and I'm not in a hurry anyway. I'm there for the food. And I am happy to wait for a window table too. One of my favorite Disney photos was from here, so it's worth the wait for the view.

The naan service is what I'll probably end up getting. I may change my mind and try one of the curries (I do adore a good curry!) but these seem pretty big if I get the naan too. We'll see....

The Sanaa Review

On my party day I have an ADR at the Plaza. I've heard amazing things about the Mac n Cheese with BBQ Brisket. Last party I went to, there were hardly any options for REAL food open after 9 or so, so I thought I'd better load up on something substantial before I put myself into a self-induced hyperglycemic state. (Should I carry insulin?!) I've never ever been to the Plaza, but the reviews are looking a lot better than even this time last year. I'll reserve judgement and let you know!

The Plaza Review

And now, for the one I've been looking forward to most for literally YEARS... The Edison. When I first started seeing the planning for this, it instantly went to the top of my Must-Do list. The steampunk theming looks incredible and, while it may not be everyone's cup of tea as far as entertainment is considered, there is live Jazz era music, acrobats, dancing, and magicians that perform, particularly after 10:00 PM (if burlesque or cabaret isn't your thing, maybe this isn't the place for you (not saying it's mine... just sayin'.)) I won't be staying that late this time, as it's a first dip, but holy cow, I'm happy it's finally open after years of pushed back opening dates! The burger gets rave reviews, but the Gooey Grilled Cheese is what I'm talkin' about! Come to Mama....

The Edison Review

I'm also going back to
HBD this year to grab a Cobb Salad and have another Apricot Sour in honor of Grandma (if they have the Apricot Brandy) but won't go into detail on this as it's an old standby that I've already done 2 reviews on. Cheers, GiGi!

Shockingly, I've never been to Narcoosee's or Citricos and am anxious to try them both. This year, I'm hitting up Citricos and am looking forward to some elegant dining. Yes, Cali Grill is, but it's not dinner. I like to dress up and treat myself on occasion so this will be that time. The menu looks fantastic and if I were to choose right this minute, I'd probably start with the Pate, then order the Halibut, and finish with the Lemon Cheesecake. But, who knows what the chef may have special for that night or what I'll be in the mood for.

The Citricos Review

Another must-do for the last several trips is
Tiffins. It's quite possibly my favorite restaurant for many reasons including ambiance, food, and service... I've had the whole fish twice now, and it's time for a change. Not sure to what honestly, so I guess we'll see. Again, if I were to order today I guess, (I'm getting hungrier as I've sat and written, so the sky's the limit!) I'd choose the:

Peaches and Cream - Masumoto peaches, burrata cheese, heirloom tomatoes, peach-maple reduction, salted-pecan brittle $14.00

Snake River Farm's Wagyu Eye of Ribeye - marble potato confit, bacon-sherry vinaigrette, cauliflower variations, amarula creme $53

or:

Pomegranate-Lacquered Chicken - sweet potato pap, Brussels sprouts, citrus-fennel salad $36

And this:

Whipped Cheesecake - Amarula panna cotta, sesame crumbs, espresso sponge $10

There are plenty of recent Tiffins reviews here on the Boards, so again won't bother. And that rounds out my list.

3 repeats, 4 new places, and 1 as a totally different experience. A nice blend, if I do say so myself. Now, your turn to make recommendations for any of the places on this list. How was it there? Food? Anything to remember to request or do?

I'm down to 2 1/2 weeks until I leave to spend the first part of my vacay with my parents. I really need to spend some time with them as I miss them terribly. In the meantime, I have another flying lesson on the 16th. Did I tell you guys that I flew last weekend and....

GOT TO BE ON THE CONTROLS FOR TAKEOFF AND LANDING?!

I am learning!!

It was soooo much better and far less scary than my first flight last May for my birthday. Maybe I'll get that pilot's license after all. Sure it's going to take years, but that is not what matters. Slow and steady wins the race. Right?

Steady on, Friends! Caio!
On my phone, so multiquoting is difficult.

::yes:: to DTD!!!

I cancelled my ADR for Narcoosees because of not gotten great feedback concerning quality for price.

Amen on Tiffins. I cannot say enough about it. Definitely my favorite. I have never been to sanna, boma or jiko. Hoping to correct that in Jan.

Ive heard the bacon at Edison is worth the trip. I'm not a big burlesque or cabaret person, but might at least try it out once...again probably in Jan.

I had an ADR for the plaza, but I didn't see the Mac & cheese with brisket. Can't remember if I ended up canceling withthe idea we'd do QS instead. Seems like I was thinking the fried green tomato sandwich for DW.

Don't think I knew about Tuttos wine cellar. Might have to look into that.

Didn't know about artist point...that sucks. I like buffets some, but the character ones are way overpriced and typically not so great food.

Checking in 2 weeks from today. 14 days!!!

New for us...Garden grove(cove?), yak & yeti, MNSSHP, mama melrose's, F&W, coral reef and the wave

I've read a lot of positive reviews of The Plaza lately, so I think that's a smart idea since late night food is needed.

And you're right, I haven't heard many people walk away from Sanaa unhappy.

I'm right there with you on the Edison!!! I've been wanting to visit it since it opened. My favorite book of all time is the Great Gatsby and I got so excited when they created that Gatsby night at the location. Man, I'm already waiting to see the pictures you're going to come away with from the inside!

I'm looking forward to your review of The Edison. Considered it for the last trip but didn't have the time so keeping it on the list for next time!

Well we went to the Duck game and caught up with old friends. This weekend, we need to attack some of those boxes that are yet unpacked. Winter is coming and we might want the garage.
Moving is such tedious, hard work, Tammie! Hang in there; it'll feel like home in no time. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter