The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Mikki's few from Athens and Cape Sounion:

And lastly, Zakynthos:

(The dreaded line for the platform)

She also had skads of very good photos from Venice which I'll include with my own in the next chapters. But, having now posted her from Greece, that should officially end posts and photos from our 10 day cruise. :)

R is for: Roaming Near Rialto

With Anara safely in tow, and since most of us weren’t hungry for a big meal quite yet, it was logical to head out to see some sights and hit up some Pre-Dinner. (Sorry, PK, Mark stole your Major Award with his guess.) While Anara WAS quite tired and needing a shower, she was also anxious to see what Venice had to offer. Travel adrenaline is a real thing.

(Photo credit: Michaela Buren)

If you have ever visited the City of Bridges, you know that wandering is what’s done. It’s customary to simply start walking, get oneself lost, hope you have GPS, shop, eat, repeat. So that’s what this trio did. We did not have GPS, so we had to rely on memory and luck. I am short of at least one of those these days, but wander we did.

We came across a few of the many mask shops and made it a point to browse in at least a couple. In one, the proprietor let us know that she offers classes on mask making and invited us to come back for one when we returned from our Italian Tour. Anara and I did seriously consider doing this, but there just isn’t time to do everything you’d like. Photos are generally NOT allowed inside the mask shops, but I managed to get a couple of the window displays. The variety and craftsmanship are rather mind-blowing. Yes, they are actually all made in these little shops, and you can often watch them being crafted in the back room as you browse. Of course, the girls thought the Plague Doctor was great having just watched the Haunting of Hill House.

I continued my love affair with door hardware and knockers and again, the sheer variety was really rather remarkable. Some must be very, very old.

Of course, there are ancient churches and campanile all around that call out the hour with beautiful bells signaling the time for kids to come home from playing soccer in the plaza squares at dusk. One can almost become intoxicated on the scents of freshly cooking Italian dishes wafting out of open windows above. For those who need a quick meal on the way home, there is always a hearty bowl of homemade pasta ready!

It wasn’t long before we found a cute little enoteca that cheerfully invited us in. Bar stool seating only, we put in our order of a small plate of cicchetti and 3 Aperol Spritzes and got ready to toast the start to a wonderful few days together. We only had a short amount of overlapping time, but we promised to make the most of it as we sipped and nibbled.

The evening was falling darker by the time we finished and we still needed to grope our way back to the Airbnb; at some point, Mom and Dad would be done napping and hungry for a real meal. That wasn’t to say we didn’t still take some time to soak up what bit of nighttime Venice we could.

I mean how could you not stop and drink a scene like this in??

Our return was timed perfectly, and we ended up all meeting here:

http://www.ristorantealgobbodirialto.com/

(Taken earlier in the evening when we were just heading out on our walk when it was still light.)

... which was literally next door to our AirBnb. And wow was it fantastic!! I wish I had photos of more of what we ordered, but all I got were these:

Mikki ordered a big seafood salad which was really very good:

I do recall that Dad ordered a chicken cutlet scallopini-style with potatoes and loved it.

And I ordered a very basic pasta dish which also was exactly what I was craving (sorry I dug in before I thought of you all!):

And with that, it was time to turn in for some sweet Italian dreams.

Last edited:
Nah, we took breaks and napped in the lounge chairs too. We got there early and nabbed some extra cushy ones right on the pool deck that had cushions and pillows.
Nice score. :)
I'd like to do one of those too. But I'd me more inclined to try a South Pacific one.
Well, sure... but that'd be quite a bit more pricey.
Ha, no, those boats don't even leave the city.
But my explanation is more fun.
Yes, but did she get one?
I'm betting I'm about to find out when I read the update you posted.
What is this thing "cash" you speak of?
Dunno. I've heard about it but never seen it.
What a cool structure! That's pretty big!
Was supposed to be a hotel, but...

I've been back from that emergency, quick trip to Bowling Green a week now and certainly have packed in some super fun stuff, but the tasks of packing up the RV and shutting 'er down makes me more than a little melancholy.
Uh huh... We're about to have a winter snow storm... so I'll see your melancholy and raise you depression.
I'm probably having my gallbladder out on May 6th,
Oh! Hope that all goes well.
Alas, a new term begins on May 1st, I'm probably having my gallbladder out on May 6th, and it's back to being available to my folks for helps they may need. I'd like to get one full class (of 3) knocked out by mid-June. Meantime, I'm active with 2 travel agencies who will be looking for a 13-week contract for me somewhere in Kentucky or Northern Tennessee. Life is busy. Good, but busy.
You are busy!
I was FINALLY able to pin Mikki down and get her to send her photos.
Yay!
It'll take me 5 days to get to Kentucky because I don't do long road trip days.
Heh. Just out of curiosity, I googled...
If I was pressed, I'd do it in two days, but most likely three.

I do do long road trips.

I just said do do.
I have planned to stop and do a little hiking in the Petroglyphs National Monument outside of Albuquerque on the way.
Nice!
With that, watch for a couple more chapters.
popcorn::

A few auxiliary photos that I finally pried out of Mikki. Huzzah!!!
I won't comment on every photo, but they're all really nice. :)
341521633_126950810359271_82867553383391355_n-L.jpg
So white!
Beautiful contrast.
(Rumor has it that that big complex was built by the local mafia as a money laundering operation. They never finished it.)
Well sure. Once the money's clean, you can stop.
Really like this one.
Ugh.

And yet... I'm surprised that Mikki didn't take a selfie there herself.

it was logical to head out to see some sights and hit up some Pre-Dinner.
Nah. I'm guessing this whole chapter was contrived and she actually did have a nap.
(Sorry, PK, Mark stole your Major Award with his guess.)
I demand a recount!
Travel adrenaline is a real thing.
::yes::
Ah youth...
She looks amazingly awake and alert and happy for being tired.
If you have ever visited the City of Bridges, you know that wandering is what’s done.
::yes::
we had to rely on memory and luck. I am short of at least one of those these days
:laughing:
We came across a few of the many mask shops and made it a point to browse in at least a couple.
Those were so cool. I loved looking in the windows at the displays.
In one, the proprietor let us know that she offers classes on mask making and invited us to come back for one when we returned from our Italian Tour. Anara and I did seriously consider doing this, but there just isn’t time to do everything you’d like.
Cool! But... yeah. Need more time.
The variety and craftsmanship are rather mind-blowing
100% agree.
I continued my love affair with door hardware and knockers and again, the sheer variety was really rather remarkable. Some must be very, very old.
Those are really cool. I'm not sure which I like better.
One can almost become intoxicated on the scents of freshly cooking Italian dishes wafting out of open windows above.
mmmm.... pasta...
I just read an interesting article on the better pastas being bronze cut. Most pasta is made from teflon cutters. Easy to replace and cheap. But the pasta is finer and the sauce doesn't stick as well. Bronze cut makes it a bit rougher.
You can read about it here: https://marcelliformaggi.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-italian-bronze-cut-pasta/#:~:text=Sauces Stick to Bronze Cut,satisfying dish and better presentation.
Bread with... chicken, I'm guessing and... peppercorns?
Nice shot of the ladies. :)
As is this one, but shame Anara's face is cut in half. Or maybe that was a stylistic choice?
With the music too? Wow.
which was literally next door to our AirBnb. And wow was it fantastic!!
Great! Was this a place that you'd previously researched?
And I ordered a very basic pasta dish which also was exactly what I was craving
And it sure looks good!

Loving reading about your time in Venice! How fun to just wander and enjoy the sites with your daughters. Love the music video - like something from a movie. Hope you all got some good rest. Thanks for sharing!

The saltwater pool on the ship sounds heavenly. The crazy transportation to your Airbnb sounds chaotic. I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if the ship arrived at the port as was originally planned.

I hope surgery goes well and that you can get back to your normal schedule quickly. It seems like you will be very busy for the next couple of months.

When will you be done with the upcoming set of courses?

S is for: Six Ten AM, Stupid Early to Florence

Rejoice, One and All. I have a teensy-weensy chapter perfect for a quick read in the loo. And I do apologize for the rapid-fire nature lately. But, as they say, ‘Make hay while the sun shines’. Trust me, all too soon it’ll be back to “Steppe’s Gone Dark Again”. And all of you who’ve dropped off the face of the Earth as well will have time to leisurely read and catch up. It’s a rather unconventional TR, buy hey, that’s my style.

After a mostly decent night’s sleep in this Airbnb:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39626910

Yes, it's the one I have no recollection of other than a really awesome bathroom, but looked up in my Airbnb History so I could look like a competent Trip Report Writer. And see if you look at the listing's photos, you can even see the cool ceiling I was so enamoured with in my own photos.

(There, a photo of the stairwell leading up to the apartment.)

I also got Anara to send me her first few photos from Venice so will add this one from the apartment as well. I’ll stick her 4 others at the end, but they are almost identical to mine just with slightly different angles.

We checked out quite early so we could have plenty of time to catch our 8:30 train. Remember, getting around Venice, although it is actually quite small, is NO easy task. Remember, there is luggage to haul, and on uneven cobbled walkways no less. And there are water taxis to figure out (remember we suck at water taxi logistics) and they make a zillion stops. This time, we decided to store our bags at one of the storage locker places just near the Santa Lucia train station. I think for about 30 Euro per bag, we stashed my folks', mine, and Michaela’s for the short 2 nights we’d be in Florence. Anara wanted to keep hers. Anyway, it worked out really well for lightening the load and making transfers and walking a WHOLE lot easier!

(The Mama)

Enjoy the few photos I got as we made our way to the luggage storage place:

I can’t remember if we found some pastries before or after we got to the station, but rest assured, there are more than plenty at the station and all along the way. For a couple of bucks or so, you can grab a perfectly fresh croissant stuffed with just about anything and a latte to enjoy as you travel. My usual go-to was almond or chocolate because they taste so amazing with that frothy, luscious latte each morning. And without too much ado, we found ourselves whisking along towards Florence.

The only notable thing was this German band that was also onboard. At one point they got a little bit rowdy for the Italian conductors and were asked (politely) to pipe down. Pun intended. The hat was a special touch.

Also note, the train was ON TIME. They say the Swiss are precisionists; the Italians must pull a close 2nd. And with that, we disembarked in Florence at the Main Station. I think I may title the next chapter as “ 5 Dweebs Who Don’t Have a Clue”. And with that, I’ll leave off with Anara's few photos of her arrival night...

(Photo credit: Anara Buren, better than mine because you can see more of the masks.)

(Photo credit: Anara Buren, she did well on this one!)

(Photo credit: Anara Buren)

(Photo credit: Anara Buren; I love the motion on this one!)

Last edited:
I also got Anara to send me her first few photos from Venice so will add this one from the apartment as well.
I really like this one. Totally shows "I'm so glad I can finally get some sleep!" :laughing:
Remember, there is luggage to haul, and on uneven cobbled walkways no less.
Oh yes. I remember. Oh. Yes.
(The Mama)
Hi Mrs Steppesister Sr.
Really like this one.
mmm.... pizza
they got a little bit rowdy for the Italian conductors and were asked (politely) to pipe down. Pun intended.
:thumbsup2
I think I may title the next chapter as “ 5 Dweebs Who Don’t Have a Clue”.
:laughing:

In the pool there are areas to stretch out and recline so you can just soak. Which is exactly what we did.
This is my fave thing on Celebrity ships too...I loved it at night when it's dark out and so relaxing atmosphere
Did I mention that Mikki is engaged and having a destination wedding near Manila in February?
Wow...that's amazing!
Leaving Ravenna, the port city that is NOT Venice like Celebrity advertises, and you learn about later
This is a relatively recent thing - they stopped allowing cruise ships right into Venice....I know it's a pain now...but you know...Venice sinking and all lol...but yeah...it's a bit of an ordeal having to figure out how to get to and from the ships now...

This is a relatively recent thing - they stopped allowing cruise ships right into Venice....I know it's a pain now...but you know...Venice sinking and all lol...but yeah...it's a bit of an ordeal having to figure out how to get to and from the ships now...
Yes, I wrote about that and posted a link near the beginning of my TR and there was quite a discussion about it. I 1,000% get why and agree with it all, but my beef is with Celebrity still advertising that it “sails from Venice”. I think we would’ve chosen a different itinerary had we known the huge PITA it would be to get to and from Ravenna.

For a couple of bucks or so, you can grab a perfectly fresh croissant stuffed with just about anything and a latte to enjoy as you travel. My usual go-to was almond or chocolate because they taste so amazing with that frothy, luscious latte each morning. And without too much ado, we found ourselves whisking along towards Florence.
The croissants sound delicious. :)

I am amazed at the narrow canals and how difficult it must be to get around Venice.

Alas, a new term begins on May 1st, I'm probably having my gallbladder out on May 6th, and it's back to being available to my folks for helps they may need.
Whoa! You kind of buried the lead there. Hope everything goes ok.

All that said, I've tried to get as many chapters posted as I can until things go a bit drier here again.
I'll get caught up eventually.

(Sorry, PK, Mark stole your Major Award with his guess.)
:cool1::jumping1:party:
Travel adrenaline is a real thing.
So true!

One can almost become intoxicated on the scents of freshly cooking Italian dishes wafting out of open windows above. For those who need a quick meal on the way home, there is always a hearty bowl of homemade pasta ready!
I would weigh 400 lbs. if I lived here.

Is that a rhetorical question?

I have a teensy-weensy chapter perfect for a quick read in the loo.
This is where 95% of my reading occurs!

This time, we decided to store our bags at one of the storage locker places just near the Santa Lucia train station. I think for about 30 Euro per bag, we stashed my folks', mine, and Michaela’s for the short 2 nights we’d be in Florence.
Now that seems like a really smart move.

Beautiful shot there.

I can’t remember if we found some pastries before or after we got to the station, but rest assured, there are more than plenty at the station and all along the way. For a couple of bucks or so, you can grab a perfectly fresh croissant stuffed with just about anything and a latte to enjoy as you travel. My usual go-to was almond or chocolate because they taste so amazing with that frothy, luscious latte each morning
I was wrong. 500 lbs.

Also note, the train was ON TIME. They say the Swiss are precisionists; the Italians must pull a close 2nd.
That would be much appreciated by me.

(Photo credit: Anara Buren, she did well on this one!)
Yes she did! Nice shot.

Really like this one.
The same one caught my eye! You have good taste.

You were very busy posting updates while I was in Disney.

I really enjoyed getting caught up and want to go the Greek Islands now more than ever.

Loved the formal night photo of you and Mikki.

Congrats to Mikki on her upcoming nuptials. How exciting to have a destination wedding.

Good luck on your new class schedule and you upcoming surgery. I hope it all goes well and you heal fast.

I really understand the precious time with 2 of your girls. I'm thrilled when I can get time with my two girls.

Did I mention that Mikki is engaged and having a destination wedding near Manila in February?
Wow! Congratulations. On both the upcoming wedding and the upcoming travel plans.
And since I’ll be “in the neighborhood”, I thought I’d hop to Australia and maybe one of the South Pacific Islands to take a look-see.
I mean if you're already halfway around the world...
Alas, a new term begins on May 1st, I'm probably having my gallbladder out on May 6th, and it's back to being available to my folks for helps they may need. I'd like to get one full class (of 3) knocked out by mid-June.
Sounds like life is getting really busy, really fast.
I appreciate Mikki sharing all her pictures, and while this one may not convey the beauty of a lot of them I appreciate the behind the scenes look at how that was set up. It certainly does look annoyingly small and crowded.
That wasn’t to say we didn’t still take some time to soak up what bit of nighttime Venice we could.

I really like everything about this evening. I know it was only one night, but you guys really seemed to be able to just wander around and take the city in!
The only notable thing was this German band that was also onboard. At one point they got a little bit rowdy for the Italian conductors and were asked (politely) to pipe down. Pun intended. The hat was a special touch.
Oktoberfest on an Italian train? Sounds... Interesting.

Well, sure... but that'd be quite a bit more pricey.
Yes, but IF I'm already there...
But my explanation is more fun.
Well, okay, that is true.
Uh huh... We're about to have a winter snow storm... so I'll see your melancholy and raise you depression.
EEK! Hope that's finally over for y'all now.
Oh! Hope that all goes well.
Yep, I'm sure it will.
You are busy!
But making progress!
Heh. Just out of curiosity, I googled...
If I was pressed, I'd do it in two days, but most likely three.

I do do long road trips.

I just said do do.
:rotfl2:Potty humor never fails!
I won't comment on every photo, but they're all really nice. :)
I think my girls did pretty darn great!
Beautiful contrast.
I hate to disillusion you, but those particular bougainvillea are FAKE!!!!! :lmao:
And yet... I'm surprised that Mikki didn't take a selfie there herself.
I'm 100% certain she did, but didn't share it with me.
Nah. I'm guessing this whole chapter was contrived and she actually did have a nap.
It's been so long now, this is possible!
Those were so cool. I loved looking in the windows at the displays.
I was astounded at how many shops of these there were!
Those are really cool. I'm not sure which I like better.
And, just like the masks, they were everywhere!
I just read an interesting article on the better pastas being bronze cut. Most pasta is made from teflon cutters. Easy to replace and cheap. But the pasta is finer and the sauce doesn't stick as well. Bronze cut makes it a bit rougher.
You can read about it here: https://marcelliformaggi.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-italian-bronze-cut-pasta/#:~:text=Sauces Stick to Bronze Cut,satisfying dish and better presentation.
Hey, that's super interesting! And totally makes sense!
Bread with... chicken, I'm guessing and... peppercorns?
I think it was actually prosciutto.
As is this one, but shame Anara's face is cut in half. Or maybe that was a stylistic choice?
A tragic calamity of S.A.S. (Short Arm Syndrome)
With the music too? Wow.
It was one of the more magical moments.
Great! Was this a place that you'd previously researched?
Believe it or not....no. There were times we were ALL just too tired to go to a specific place even if I had researched it. Other times they were closed, or too far, or...

Loving reading about your time in Venice! How fun to just wander and enjoy the sites with your daughters. Love the music video - like something from a movie. Hope you all got some good rest. Thanks for sharing!
We actually have MORE time in Venice coming up, but in between a whole BUNCH of other cities and sites! :)

Wasn't that scene with the music dreamy?

The saltwater pool on the ship sounds heavenly. The crazy transportation to your Airbnb sounds chaotic. I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if the ship arrived at the port as was originally planned.

I hope surgery goes well and that you can get back to your normal schedule quickly. It seems like you will be very busy for the next couple of months.

When will you be done with the upcoming set of courses?
Oh man, it was soooo relaxing! Loved that pool. And warmer than the hot tubs (which were luke warm at best)? Yes, please!

Yes, I mean, I totally understand why they can't let cruise ships in anymore, but we'd have gone in and out of Bologna had we known!

5:30 AM bright and early on Saturday....

My next term began today (and I made GREAT progress on my first class!; should be a quick one!) and ends October 31. The harder of the classes will begin just as soon as I complete the current on which should take at most 4 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter