The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

I mean, one can dream, no?
:laughing: Sure!
I'd say most don't. B&W is a super tough skill and I am very cautious when converting.
I rarely do B&W since it's so hard to get just right.
"Circum" = around
"Vesuviano" = Vesuvius

This is the meaning of circumvesuviano:

circumvesuviano (Italian)​

Origin & history​

circum- + vesuviano

Adjective​

circumvesuviano (masc.) (fem. circumvesuviana, masc. pl. circumvesuviani, fem. pl. circumvesuviane)
  1. Around Vesuvius
Well, that sure takes the attempt at humour and buries it under centuries of ash.
It's definitely an ominous presence overlooking its prey. But I do think there would be signs prior...? Steam, earthquakes, little eruptions?
I'd think so. In fact... I seem to remember there were signs...

Okay, a quick Google search shows there were a series of earthquakes beforehand.
Like any other other day after a visit to Taco Bell?
:laughing:
Nope, was 100% serious! WHO KNEW?!
Not me!
In this case, it worked perfectly, and now, I'm not even sure if I remember doing it intentionally.
Sometimes those happy little accidents pay off. :)
There was so much perfectly preserved. In fact, much of the "damage" came AFTER it was dug out from weather and sun and human hands.
I did not know that! Huh!
There aren't many photos of Anara that she approves of, but when I sent her the edited version she exclaimed, "I LOVE IT!!" So win!
:laughing: Oh! That's Anara! Yes it's a very nice shot of her. :)
I think all that. It's just so shocking but gives rise to deep contemplation.
::yes::
But I don't think it was understood that it caused brain damage until much later and was continued to be used well into the not-to-distant past. This lead (no pun intended) me down a rabbit hole and I found this SUPER informative article. Yes, the Pompeiian did, in fact, poison themselves.
Oh sure. They used lead in pain up until the late 1970s.

But I meant I wondered why you picked that particular comment about lead.

I rarely do B&W since it's so hard to get just right.
For sure!
Well, that sure takes the attempt at humour and buries it under centuries of ash.
Oopsies. I honestly thought you didn't get it. sowwies.
I'd think so. In fact... I seem to remember there were signs...

Okay, a quick Google search shows there were a series of earthquakes beforehand.
But they may not have understood (obviously) the magnitude (no pun intended) of their eminent danger. Maybe the fisherman out to sea were the lucky ones. Although how tragic to lose everything and have nothing but.... misery to return to. :(
Sometimes those happy little accidents pay off. :)
Oh sure. They used lead in pain up until the late 1970s.

But I meant I wondered why you picked that particular comment about lead.
I dunno, I guess I always had associated lead poisoning with ancient cultures, but esp the Roman empire.

But they may not have understood (obviously) the magnitude (no pun intended)
Shame. Would've been a good pun.
Maybe the fisherman out to sea were the lucky ones. Although how tragic to lose everything and have nothing but.... misery to return to. :(
Yah...
"Bye mother. Bye kids. See you later this afternoon....
I dunno, I guess I always had associated lead poisoning with ancient cultures, but esp the Roman empire.
Makes sense. :)

Really enjoyed your updates! I admire your independent touring. We just returned last night from a 12 day group tour of Italy. Being part of a group has it's advantages but you also miss a lot and doesn't allow for much spontaneity. Anyway, it was a great trip. We had about 2 hours at Pompeii. SO interesting but sad. I had no idea how advanced the town/people were. Pretty amazing. Love your pictures - thanks for sharing! Also, congrats on passing your latest exam!

Really enjoyed your updates! I admire your independent touring. We just returned last night from a 12 day group tour of Italy. Being part of a group has it's advantages but you also miss a lot and doesn't allow for much spontaneity. Anyway, it was a great trip. We had about 2 hours at Pompeii. SO interesting but sad. I had no idea how advanced the town/people were. Pretty amazing. Love your pictures - thanks for sharing! Also, congrats on passing your latest exam!
WOW!! Nice to see you again! Thank you for reading along and enjoying the adventures. :)

OH my!! Did you love it? Italy has so much to offer! Yes, I mean the group does help you out with sometimes tricky logistics, but yep, can't linger if you're enjoying a particular place.

More touring coming up!

F is for: Further into Pompeii Followed by Fantastic Food

By this time in the late morning, the crowds had swelled on the streets of Pompeii. We pressed on and turned towards the area of the Stadium/Amphitheater and other excavated homes and a bit away from the “commercial area”. It was here that we found the BEST tile mosaics and preserved wall frescoes.

IMG_7264-2-L.jpg

IMG_7266-2-L.jpg

Most of these homes were from upper class families and had some very beautiful courtyards with fountains, statues, frescoes, and porticos.

IMG_7245-2-L.jpg

IMG_7246-2-L.jpg

IMG_7269-2-L.jpg

But even the rich are finite and misfortune and disaster did not discriminate in 79 A.D.

IMG_7261-2-L.jpg

IMG_7270-2-L.jpg

(Vesuvius spared very few, and still stands as a reminder of the frailty of life.)

We did make it over to the large amphitheater, but sadly, we couldn’t really see into it as they were setting up for a performance. Can you even imagine seeing a modern performance of… anything….in there?!

This side of the city seemed to highlight the homes' courtyards and gardens a bit more. It was easy to imagine the fruit trees, flowers, and little benches to enjoy the perfect weather strewn about the grounds.

IMG_7252-2-L.jpg

IMG_7255-2-L.jpg

IMG_7256-2-L.jpg

Very near the amphitheater was a rotating display of curated artifacts. Some were absolutely stunning in color and craftsmanship!

IMG_7258-2-L.jpg

1BC05316-7EE5-4B78-A9D9-03686A66850A-2-L.jpg

96D5A7CD-69C1-4732-8B98-DFB66152F654-2-L.jpg

877BD3C4-0CDF-4D99-88B5-6A0E08D26DC8-2-L.jpg

Amusingly, the display-du-jour was this one: (click at your own risk!!!) Let me just say, it was fantastically AWKWARD to have run into this with my daughter! We ended up sort of separating for the length of the exhibit and found each other outside afterwards. Egad!!

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/exhibition-erotic-art-pompeii-images-2103132

It was very interesting to be sure. But this I actually found MORE intestesting!

https://greekreporter.com/2022/08/07/pompeii-chariot-2021s-greatest-archaeological-finds/#:~:text=Nearly-Intact Pompeii Chariot Among the Greatest Archaeological Finds,-By Patricia Claus&text=The Pompeii chariot, once drawn,in a cataclysmic volcanic eruption.

IMG_7259-2-L.jpg

(The medallions from the front of the chariot. Yes, they were naughty too.)

IMG_7260-M.jpg

I love that the archeologists are STILL finding amazing things and learning more about the ancient way of life of the Romans of the time. I was continually blown away by how advanced they were in terms of plumbing, water delivery, sanitation, etc…

IMG_7268-2-L.jpg

Eventually, we’d had our fill and the crowds were becoming a bit unmanageable, so we decided to start working our way to a further region up towards the direction of the mountain. Unfortunately, it was a ‘zone’ that was closed for the day for archeological work, so we turned and headed for the park exit. It was already 2:00 or so and we both felt ready to call it a day. Besides, our tummies were starting to do the talking; it was definitely lunch time!

While I’d love to say that this particularly looming figure standing over the city of Pompeii is an ancient treasure, it is not. Instead, it is a gift from a Polish artist donated in 2017. Below is an article that tells you more about Mitoraj's Daedalus donated to Pompeii:

IMG_7276-2-L.jpg

https://poland.pl/culture-and-art/visual-arts/igor-mitoraj-sculpture-remain-pompeii/

Eager to find something tasty, Pompeii’s little “strip mall” outside the park seemed to offer a nice variety of enticing lunch options.

1DD09690-A3D8-4DA6-8A87-079ACFDAF3F5-2-L.jpg

(I love this photo that Anara took of one of the several juice stands.)

After a bit of browsing, we settled on a little café that had internet, tables in the shade, and most importantly, bathrooms!!

The server handed us our menus and then asked if we were sisters. I about burst out laughing but accepted the complement with a smile. Sadly, I think he was mortified, and we were then served by the older, presumable, owner. Neither of us were in the least offended, finding it more amusing than anything else.

I ordered up the Pasta Putanesca:

IMG_7281-2-L.jpg

...and Anara finally, FINALLY got her sandwich she was craving.

IMG_7282-2-L.jpg

We were both extremely happy campers! My pasta was absolutely outstanding. I finished every last bite! I also ordered up a glass of red wine, I believe, because I did almost every chance I got. It’s cheap and (usually) amazing and who knows when I’ll ever get the chance to sip wine under the warm Italian sun again. Completely satisfied with every aspect of our day, it was time to head back into Italy’s ghetto-city on our Cicumvesuviana SlumTrain for some rest and re-charging.

The very, very old kissing the not-so-super-old:

IMG_7295-2-L.jpg

On the walk back to our room, I took a few more photos of the Precepi; most shops in the Armenio neighborhood didn’t shut down until WELL after dark making for a crowded, noisy nightlife vibe. I held my bag a bit closer in as we weaved through the throngs of shoppers.

IMG_7290-2-L.jpg

IMG_7291-2-L.jpg

IMG_7298-2-L.jpg

Not a precepi, but a funky memorial to someone- I'm at a loss for words:

IMG_7294-2-L.jpg

We both laid down for a bit an then I headed out to get my nails done. Without boring you with the details, it was the worst, and most disappointing, nail fill I’ve ever gotten. But it was better than not getting a fill at all and it’d have to do until I got home. I know this sounds incredibly vain and so unimportant, but I am a horrible chew-er and they were all breaking left, right, and center.

That taken care of, I gathered up Anara and we headed out for a short nighttime stroll to find a small bite of dinner. Naples is famous for its small-bites/handheld street food and we didn’t want to miss out on trying a couple things at least once.

We ended up with these little beauties...

One was an deep-fried spaghetti with alfredo ball:

IMG_7303-2-L.jpg

And the other was a creamy ricotta pocket that had ham and veggies in it.

IMG_7305-3-L.jpg

Holy crap! These both were so amazing! So, the day was a 9/10 with everything going to plan, getting to see what we’d set out to, a 2/2 on meals, and ease of transportation. The only downsides were a lousy night’s sleep and a nail place that for certain took advantage of a foreigner, which in the grand scheme of things were really no big deal.

Up next, we head to the Amalfi Coast to see what all the rage is….

Last edited:
It was here that we found the BEST tile mosaics and preserved wall frescoes.
Some of them are surprisingly beautiful. :)
I was continually blown away by how advanced they were in terms of plumbing, water delivery, sanitation, etc…
They were ahead of some of the other European areas. Do you know what the population of Pompei was before the volcano erupted?
This looks really good.

I'm glad to hear that the day was a success. :)

Wow again on all the tile and frescoes. So amazing that they are still discovering so much.

Deep fried pasta and alfredo?! yes, please. Glad you had such a wonderful day!!

the crowds had swelled on the streets of Pompeii.
Makes me wonder just how crowded it was when Vesuvius blew its top.
It was here that we found the BEST tile mosaics and preserved wall frescoes.
It's just so remarkable that everything is so well preserved after nearly 2,000 years.
Most of these homes were from upper class families
How do you know? Was it because of a definite higher quality art/construction from the earlier places you'd visited?
But even the rich are finite and misfortune and disaster did not discriminate in 79 A.D.
Yup...
Can you even imagine seeing a modern performance of… anything….in there?!
That'd be pretty cool, I'd think. :)
Did you find out what those are? They look like... baths, perhaps? Like they held water, at any event.
I love how there's greenery there now. Bringing life back to Pompeii. I like that. :)
That's cool! I had to see when dice were invented (of course) and they've been around since around 2,500BCE.
Couple of pieces missing. People need to be more careful with things during a major volcanic eruption.
Amusingly, the display-du-jour was this one: (click at your own risk!!!) Let me just say, it was fantastically AWKWARD to have run into this with my daughter! We ended up sort of separating for the length of the exhibit and found each other outside afterwards. Egad!!
:lmao:

I'm either impressed with the gentlemen's... endowments or their imaginations/dreams of that.
It was very interesting to be sure. But this I actually found MORE intestesting!
I had seen that! And yes, cool! And even more cool that you actually saw it!
I love that the archeologists are STILL finding amazing things and learning more about the ancient way of life of the Romans of the time.
I remember reading about Pompeii about... hmmm... 45ish years ago. I remember thinking that everything had been excavated already. :rolleyes:
I was continually blown away by how advanced they were in terms of plumbing, water delivery, sanitation, etc…
It was already 2:00 or so and we both felt ready to call it a day.
Not going to go back and look if you said already, but... what time did you arrive? How long did you spend there?
While I’d love to say that this particularly looming figure standing over the city of Pompeii is an ancient treasure, it is not. Instead, it is a gift from a Polish artist donated in 2017.
Kinda... odd, to me. I mean... Isn't Pompeii on its own incredible enough?
Fresh squeezed OJ??? Yes please!
After a bit of browsing, we settled on a little café that had internet, tables in the shade, and most importantly, bathrooms!!
:laughing:

Now I'm wondering how many Pomeiians met there maker while on the thrown.
The server handed us our menus and then asked if we were sisters. I about burst out laughing but accepted the complement with a smile.
Totally can see that. Haven't met Anara, but I've met you!
While not an olive fan... that still looks good.
and Anara finally, FINALLY got her sandwich she was craving.
Yay!
"I am so happy and so hungry... I will eat all of you."
who knows when I’ll ever get the chance to sip wine under the warm Italian sun again.
Definitely. Live life while you can.
it was time to head back into Italy’s ghetto-city on our Cicumvesuviana SlumTrain
:rotfl:
Wow! What a juxtaposition!
I really like this. :)
oooohhhh... Want.
Not a precepi, but a funky memorial to someone- I'm at a loss for words:
That's... interesting.

(Said while thinking "No. Nope. N'uh uh."
I headed out to get my nails done. Without boring you with the details, it was the worst, and most disappointing, nail fill I’ve ever gotten.
Neon green with spikes?
I know this sounds incredibly vain and so unimportant, but I am a horrible chew-er and they were all breaking left, right, and center.
1695765527684.png
That taken care of, I gathered up Anara
You're stronger than I thought. Or she's smaller than I thought.
One was an deep-fried spaghetti with alfredo ball:
Deep-fried?!?!?!? Hello!
And the other was a creamy ricotta pocket that had ham and veggies in it.
mmmmm...

They both sound delish. Glad you thought so, too.
Holy crap! These both were so amazing! So, the day was a 9/10 with everything going to plan, getting to see what we’d set out to, a 2/2 on meals, and ease of transportation. The only downsides were a lousy night’s sleep and a nail place that for certain took advantage of a foreigner, which in the grand scheme of things were really no big deal.
Not a bad day! :)
Up next, we head to the Amalfi Coast to see what all the rage is….
Can't wait! I've heard of the Amalfi Coast for... decades, but have no idea what it looks like. popcorn::

Makes me wonder just how crowded it was when Vesuvius blew its top.
I think it was probably pretty densely so. I wonder how something like NYC or any other packed city and the same acreage would compare?
It's just so remarkable that everything is so well preserved after nearly 2,000 years.
Especially with all of that abrasive pumice and ash scouring things. Must be super airtight?
How do you know? Was it because of a definite higher quality art/construction from the earlier places you'd visited?
The signs did say so and at that point I had Rick's audio tour still on and was also comparing those homes which were a stark contrast to the single room-homes nearer to the center.
Did you find out what those are? They look like... baths, perhaps? Like they held water, at any event.
I didn't. But I also think they may have been either a courtyard pool or, if covered, a drainage system of some sort?
I love how there's greenery there now. Bringing life back to Pompeii. I like that. :)
Makes it more imaginable what it was really like at the time it was occupied.
That's cool! I had to see when dice were invented (of course) and they've been around since around 2,500BCE.
Had no idea! It'd be fun to learn the games they played at different times and in different places.
Couple of pieces missing. People need to be more careful with things during a major volcanic eruption.
Haha, but it actually did make me kinda think on that a bit. I think with the earthquakes that preceded the actual burying it makes sense that things were cracked and broken a bit. I know the ash fell and covered things in a flash, but I do wonder if most of the damage like this and cracked outside walls were actually messed up BEFORE getting buried.?
I'm either impressed with the gentlemen's... endowments or their imaginations/dreams of that.
There's some pretty crazy stuff in Pompeii!
I remember reading about Pompeii about... hmmm... 45ish years ago. I remember thinking that everything had been excavated already. :rolleyes:
Not even close! :)
Kinda... odd, to me. I mean... Isn't Pompeii on its own incredible enough?
When I found out when researching this chapter, it struck me as pretty odd as well.
Now I'm wondering how many Pomeiians met there maker while on the thrown.
That sure is a good questions. Something to ponder while on the throne yourself.
"I am so happy and so hungry... I will eat all of you."
Oh, and she did!
Wow! What a juxtaposition!
It sure caught my eye!
oooohhhh... Want.
I do wonder if you could order one to be shipped? No idea.
That's... interesting.

(Said while thinking "No. Nope. N'uh uh."
Exactly. I mean a nude, but modern woman. I just don't get it.
Neon green with spikes?
LOL!

No.
You're stronger than I thought. Or she's smaller than I thought.
1696109903769.png
Deep-fried?!?!?!? Hello!
Sooooo goood!!!
Can't wait! I've heard of the Amalfi Coast for... decades, but have no idea what it looks like. popcorn::
I did NOT capture the photos I had hoped to. Kinda sad about that. But at least I have the memories.

I think it was probably pretty densely so. I wonder how something like NYC or any other packed city and the same acreage would compare?
Imagine Mt. St. Helens… in NYC.
Especially with all of that abrasive pumice and ash scouring things. Must be super airtight?
Probably so?
But I also think they may have been either a courtyard pool or, if covered, a drainage system of some sort?
:confused3
Had no idea! It'd be fun to learn the games they played at different times and in different places.
I was thinking about that. More likely for gambling?
Haha, but it actually did make me kinda think on that a bit. I think with the earthquakes that preceded the actual burying it makes sense that things were cracked and broken a bit. I know the ash fell and covered things in a flash, but I do wonder if most of the damage like this and cracked outside walls were actually messed up BEFORE getting buried.?
That’s quite likely. Maybe so. :)
Not even close! :)
Apparently not!
Oh, and she did!
:laughing: Good for her! Bet she was happy after that.
I do wonder if you could order one to be shipped? No idea.
I’d the the shipping alone would be… celestial.
I did NOT capture the photos I had hoped to. Kinda sad about that. But at least I have the memories.
We’ll poop. Guess I’ll just have to keep waiting for someone else to go and post photos.

G is for: Gorgeous Grotto (not the Blue Grotto!)

A little Steppe out of order! Because sometimes the alphabet dictates where we go next! 😉

Skipping ahead to a bit later in our day, Anara and I stopped at the Grotto della Smeraldo right about in the middle of the Amalfi Coast- closer to Sorrento than to Salerno, which is the direction we were traveling this day. In the next post, I’ll tell you all about the adventures we had getting up TO this point and then again beyond. But for now, let me gush about the Emerald Grotto, as it’s translated into English.

Hopping off the public transportation bus, we approached a small, unassuming kiosk and bought our tickets for a little tour into the underground, sea-water-filled cavern on the beautiful Amalfi Coast. While the famous Blue Grotto on Capri is far more well-known, the Emerald Grotto is just as lovely and WAY less touristy. Win-win! Sure, it’ll take a lot more effort to get to but that’s all part of the adventure and fun.

1696362855895.png
(Not my photo)

For $5, we were treated to an elevator ride down to the boat launch, along with 15 of our new Israeli friends who only spoke a bit of English and Hebrew. The Italian tour guide herded us all onto his little skiff and began his rote spiel (see what I did there?) The English was indeed pretty broken and mixed up, but we got the gyst and made the best of it. I focused on photography and got some pretty crappy photos with my phone. Anara however got a couple of good ones. Hers are sans watermark.

IMG_7389-2-L.jpg

AC646FC9-8B88-485A-B156-EE1195367B1F-2-L.jpg

The tour lasted about 30 minutes of tooling around in the fairly small-ish grotto, but I appreciated him letting us have the time to take the photos we wanted. Something he knows the photographer-types like is the luminescence made from the splash of his oar, so I definitely took advantage of that!

IMG_7400-2-L.jpg

He also pointed out the Nativity Scene placed there in 1956; each year around Christmastime fisherman place flowers there as an offering. It was honestly both enchanting and creepy at the same time but made for a cool photo opp.

80E86DFA-134C-4B4F-B0F0-2404F0143418-2-L.jpg

The formations were surprisingly complex and exceeded my expectations. So that was yet another win.

IMG_7392-2-L.jpg

IMG_7395-3-L.jpg

The boatman tied up on the little underground dock at the end of our tour and jokingly said to our Israeli tourmates, “Next time, when you come back, I’ll do it in Hebrew!” Everyone burst out laughing and that was that. We were totally glad we made this out-of-the-way stop and for the price, I’d certainly recommend it. If you up for a less-touristy way to see an under-water grotto and find yourself on the beautiful Amalfi coast, this may be just the ticket for you.

Imagine Mt. St. Helens… in NYC.
I just can't even imagine! Although 9/11 sure gave a small glimpse. Maybe?
Probably so?
Do wonder what the lye or acidic qualities would have been doing all these years too. That'd take more chemistry than I have the energy for.
I was thinking about that. More likely for gambling?
Yes, I think so, but like Craps? Yahtzee? Enquiring minds!!!
I’d the the shipping alone would be… celestial.
Uh, yeah. Like more than a round trip ticket maybe.

I enjoy reading your trip report. Amazing photo´s and such a beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

OH my! Thank you for chiming in!! That means the world to me!! Maybe someday I'll research how to make a real website and post my travels there, but for now, the DIS is what I know best and have friends and followers I've made here. Someday I'll even find the time again after school to be more active here and more engaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter