The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

H is for: Have Blessing, Will Teach
****Hi All, In the spirit of keeping these chapters short and manageable, so it doesn't take you too long to suffer wade through, I'm going to cut this day into 3 or so chunks. It was a very long and full day, so this update brings us up to just after lunch... Enjoy!!

Here is a map of the locations we traveled to this day so you can get oriented: (We went from Mayola, to Masiaka, to Port Loko and back. The river we crossed is right where the distance cloud is.)

30167302_1897794233566171_7514886234058903101_o.jpg

Now, onto the story!

While sleep was elusive the night before, I was still excited about what the day would hold for us. After all, this was the day we’d planned so long and hard for. At 6:10, long after the roosters began to crow, we were up and getting dressed and ready to head out on our hour and a half-long drive to the Provincial capitol city of Port Loko. There was no breakfast. There was no coffee. There was however, plenty of exotic scenery along the way. All my dreams of seeing mud huts with thatched roofs were now a reality with mile after mile of tiny villages dotting the grassy landscape.

I was also pretty excited to come across the 8-foot high termite hill. Yes, even those are a real thing!!!

IMG_6280-L.jpg

What I did not enjoy was the total lack of safety of both the driver and the highway infrastructure. I’ve said it before, but this was hands down my least favorite part of this trip. You’d think after years of living with terrible roads and worse drivers, I’d be “used to it”, but that is not the case. I think one never really becomes accustomed to the possibility of dying in a foreign country. We stopped briefly at Gloria’s police station 30 minutes down the road again for something. I’m not sure why because I didn’t get out of the car until our driver backed into one of her fences and tore off the driver’s side fender; my confidence wavered even more. While he was scoping out the damage, I snapped a few photos of this beautiful flowering plant next to her now destroyed fence. Don’t worry, fences can be easily mended.

In the next town, we stopped for gas and a mini-market. There, we picked up a small can of guava juice and some crackers and fake cheese for breakfast. I wasn’t all that hungry anyway as hoping you will stay alive takes a fair amount of one’s appetite away. As we approached the one-lane bridge crossing over the Rokel River, a stark reminder of the need for caution lay there to greet us. 5 people lost their lives a few months prior when the driver thought he could fit. The wheels slipped off the edge and the folks standing in the back fell out as the truck tumbled over the side. (Buckle up, Kids.) Clearly, no time was wasted in taking every piece of available material that wasn’t part of the frame. Except the tires, but we all know how reliable the tires are, so ...

Sorry, blurry photos... bumpy, moving car. I think I might have a better one from the next day, but haven't gotten there yet...

Being that it is a single lane crossing, we had to wait for our direction’s turn. Fruit sellers took advantage of their captive audience and had oranges, coconuts, papaya, bananas, and mangoes for your choosing. I’m not sure if it was because we didn’t have time, or money, or inclination, but we didn’t purchase any of their goodies.

Eventually, we made it to our destination of the Provincial Ministry of Health Offices where we would be meeting with the Minister of Health. Little more than a dog and pony show in order for him to flex his official muscles, we presented our intentions and asked for his “blessing” to give our seminars on health education. It took an hour to: 1) be "pre-screened by a Jr. Officer, 2) find him and, 3) wait for his official invitation into his office. After the requisite questions and “just enough” display of skepticism and reluctance on his part in order to show who really had the final authority, he gave us his permission to proceed and told us he’d be sending his representative to "oversee our work". We kissed the ring and moved on. (Because, when else would $75,000 worth of goods ever come to his province unless there’s an active Ebola outbreak?) I will leave the ponderings about how anything happens at all in this sort of system to yourselves.

The office where it all went down:

Speaking of which, let’s talk about Ebola for a bit, shall we? I honestly don’t know if you knew I was headed for the literal "Ebola-Central" on this trip. Ground Zero. The place where it all goes on when it strikes. If you've ever read "The Hot Zone", you know what I'm talking about. The evidences of that were the copious, and still fresh yet, stories everywhere. To give a little perspective… first of all, the fatality rates for EVD are about 50% on average and, depending on where you are and the supportive care available, it ranges from 20%-90%. But let me give you some numbers from the Province that we heard firsthand. Liz, our Freetown Admin, worked directly in the Ebola camps, so these are not just rumors. Every week 10-30 people from EVERY single village surrounding Port Loco , Mayola, and Masiaka died. Every village. Every week. For about 6 weeks. 42 days. There was not one family spared from having at least one orphan. As you can see from the map, our area was one of the hardest hit:

west-africa-distribution-map.jpg

Families still come to receive medical services here:

The Ministry of Health became the UN and WHO Headquarters for triage and treatment and, if you made it here, you would be housed in one of the quarantine huts or tents like this one.

Or this one:

Now defunct of their former uses, they sit as a storage place for equipment no longer used to battle the horrors of this tragic disease. While not proven, it is suspected that its origins are from handling monkey meat. But, we’ll get to that….

The compound and offices are rather basic as you can see. Organization is not one of their strong points as we saw at each location we went. I didn’t take a photo as it would have been very conspicuous, but one white board had information on it about numbers and statistics that dated back to 2014. Perhaps that was the last time they had outside observers and organizers in their midst? And maybe that is harsh speculation, but just my hunch. Other equipment left behind:

Business all taken care of, we piled into our car, which amusingly still had our convoy placard on it, unscathed by drizzle and wipers, and made our way back to Mayola-La-Raton to get ready for our day of teaching and shipment distribution.

The oppressive heat had already sapped my energy allotment for the day, and the sickness I’d been harboring for the last few days rendered my voice barely audible. I’d hoped for a short nap- it was not to be. Retracing our route, we made a stop at the village schoolhouse about a quarter mile from the huts, now sitting empty for their winter break. We pondered quietly as our hosts told us of its leaking roof which forced the children to squat in mud for their lessons. They hoped that the school would receive a new tin roof in the near future with donations they are advertising on the NGO website. But first, they would like to hire someone to build benches. I cannot even imagine.

Large smiles and welcoming waves greeted us as we pulled into the village and, as we entered the clinic compound, we could smell our lunch cooking. I was grateful that we’d have a hot meal at least once this day.

We had about 20 minutes to sit in the shade while we ate and enjoyed the little break. But it was all too short. By 11:00, it was time to set up for our seminars before the students arrived.

(Fried chicken, fries and fried plantain- are you seeing a trend here...?)

Next time, I’ll pick it up with our little outdoor classroom wherein 30 or so Community Health Workers learned about First Aid and Hand Hygiene and the US Nurses get one-upped by their students. ;)

Last edited:
Nah, not nearly that long. You got this!

It's already been almost one! LOL!

No, just means a change in careers! :laughing:

I think everyone's had at least one, no?

Well last set of days off the wanted me to work all of them. This set none. Ya never know.

That is so random!

In a few months, all that will be old hat to you.

I sure hope so! I really do!

Even better! Very happy for you. :)

Thanks, PK! It felt good!

Good luck on your test! Wish I could have swung coming to CA and seeing you but we'll be in the same place at the same time some of these days!

Thanks, and thanks, Jill! The raise was certainly nice!

Still studying; we'll see what May 7th brings. :)

I sure wish you could have too! That'd been a very fun Meet, and I've been waiting YEARS to meet you! Someday...

Yes, she is doing fairly well. She was at church yesterday, she was determined to be there for Easter. :-) She returns to the surgeon this week and will hopefully start physical therapy. Thank you for the prayers. :-)

Kim

Thanks for the update, Kim! Sounds like things are on a steady improvement path.

:cool1::cheer2::banana:party::jumping1::woohoo:

Congratulations! It's well-deserved!

Wait, what's a "raise", anyway? :confused3

Thanks, Mark. :) I'm pretty sure you got some sort of upward mobility factor when you got the new position.

Our Canadian friends just sit back and laugh at us and our cold weather issues.

That's ok. We can laugh at them when it's June 30 and they're still shoveling snow.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I'm still not sure what's worse though. Snow (that is pretty) or constant gray and rain for 9 months.

POR is very underrated. Beautiful resort. Love your photos!

I think so too! They could only improve with beignets.

:woohoo: Thank goodness!

See? I do have a kind spot on my little black heart. ;)

If only you had said something...:rolleyes1

I'm sure I could have counted on you. Not that you're vengeful or anything.

Congratulations on the raise! $1 an hour is nothing to sneeze at nowadays.

Thanks, Lisa. It certainly isn't! It's one I will definitely notice on each paycheck! Tempted to put the over and above in a special tucked away, new, Super Secret, Never to be Mentioned Disney Account for you know... trips. ;)

Congratulations on the raise!! That is awesome!
It's so nice to hear you'll be making more money, however small, especially before a vacation!

Thanks, Sy-Lynn! Woot woot!!!

Like I told Lisa, I might have to stash it away and save it for a couple (or more) extra special meals on my next trip.

It's so cool that you'll be meeting up with all the DISBoard peeps!
I will need plenty of pictures of the trip!!

It is!! Super excited to see the Gang! I will be sure to take loads of photos for everyone. :)

Beautiful pics of POR. I also do photography, although I've sort of left the DSLR at home in favor of the iphone, LOL. It was just so heavy.
I do plan on bringing the DSLR next year on our Alaska cruise as well as a small tripod. I am so excited to photograph those landscapes!

Thanks! I had a really nice time wandering around and seeing what the night held. But I agree, the dslr is heavy and you've gotta wanna commit to photography, or just be happy with cell photos. Oh WOW!! I can't wait to see those! I've seen other DISer's photos of that (Alaska cruise) and it's absolutely stunning up there.

Congratulations on the raise! My son got one about a month ago. This one combined with the one he got the year before were less than that. :( You can't possibly have been there for 2 years! Weren't we all just following your journey through nursing school?:confused:

I KNOW!! I can hardly believe it myself! Congrats to your son! A raise is a raise and that should make anyone happy!

I'm SO glad nursing school is done and over. I never want to do that again.

Then again, I never want to study for the FAA PP written exam either. ;)

Just looking at your flyin' sliderule thingy gives me a headache....and a greater appreciation for pilots!

I had no idea that the material to get the license would be so involved or hard. :( But I'll get there!

June.... yes. Just not that particular day.

Ah, okay. June 20th. Got it. ;)

Congratulations on the raise!! Hard to believe it's been 2 years already.

I know, Kim!! Crazy isn't it?!

I thought you were supposed to do before and then after instead of after and then before. Little did he know he was going to be dinner, eh?

Okay, what is it? Is it something they grind grain/meal in? Kinda like a pestle?

LOL!! I did think of that, and meant to make a smart donkey comment about that rooster and what happens to them when they wake Steppe up too early. ;)

Yes, it is a pestle that they'd use to mash up stuff in. There's a photo of me using one coming up later on in the TR.

Somehow, I hadn't quite realized how much in the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak you were visiting. Those numbers are quite sobering.

Also, thank you for the maps!

And yes, I had been waiting for commentary about the juxtaposition of the rooster and chicken for lunch photos!

For comparison's sake, I'll say that the huts in your photos were similar but not quite the same as the ones I remember from The Gambia. I need to try and remember to take photos of my old photos...

And besides, unless you’re reading this from Florida, Central Mexico, or the Bahamas, you don’t even have shorts on, do you? You’re all wearing fleece-lined pants with a parka.

Well in So Cal we don't even own fleece-lined pants and parkas. Unless you ski. It has been unseasonalbly cold. I've been still wearing T-shirts and long pants, usually by now I'm back to tank tops and Capris. Next weekend though we might see highs in the 80s. Don't hold your breath, they were promising that last weekend. And it was still cold.

Dang, I wish Spring would really come. I'm pretty tired of languishing in 40-degree rain, and can't WAIT to leave in exactly 2 weeks for a sunnier climate and hang with some good friends! @Malia78 @franandaj @pkondz

And now it's one week! :banana:

Best to leave the haters at home. Go by yourself or take someone who “gets it” along.

Yeah Fran is not a hater, in fact she's pretty patient, especially when she has her tablet/kindle to read, but I prefer to leave her in the room napping while I take pictures.

And now, because I’m short on time and only came away with 9 photos, without further ado, I’ll share the best of my Late Night Stroll here.

Very nice pictures!

And now to try and tackle responses and to read through my extensive list of Unread Threads...!!! (Don't hold your breath, probably won't happen til the weekend.)

:rolleyes1

And, now... having caught up on ALL the threads I'm on

That was quick!

I was told yesterday that....

party:I got a raise!party:

Yay for a raise!

Over a $1 an hour, which doesn't seem like much but will equal what I pay for gas every month. Not bad! Best news is that it was included on yesterday's paycheck. WOOT!!!

Thats a huge raise! When I was working they calculated our raises in % and I remember my first raise was 3%, which converted to a whopping $.31 per hour.

You DO sound very busy, Alison! Yikes! I hope our visit isn't adding stress to all you have going on!

No, no! Its giving me something to look forward to! Now that we got most of the really bad clutter taken care of (and the taxes), we just need to maintain it until you guys get here. But we do need to finish up 1st st. We spent Mon. and Tues. fine cleaning, sealing the granite, washing windows, just a few things left hopefully to do tomorrow. The contractor has to change out the bathroom fixtures, but we're ready to put the sign and brochures out.

How is your visit going? I saw the Napa Rose tasting event. Nice!

Thet left Monday. It was nice. I was glad that we didnt schedule anything but dinner for Sat and Sun. The King Tut exhibit Friday was extensive. There was a ton of reading, listening, and standing involved, we were all pretty tired Saturday, but we did take an expedition load of stuff out of De Soto.

Well, I figure I'd better post when I can because the times I can be on here aren't that many. :) I gave you all a reprieve anyway this time around since it's the holiday and no one seems to be around.

I'm try8ng to keep up and just when I comment on a TR, another update goes up!

Hello! I'm back from a trip to the World that went by all too fast, of course. We had a great time, but the Spring Beak crowd made us adjust our plans a few times and it was a little less than magical at some moments. All in all, it was awesome to be at Disney and try some new things. The Avatar ride is so AMAZING!!!! I'm heading back to catch up now.

Wow! I'm actually there! I read about your trip to the village before I left, but not sure if I commented. I love the reception you got, with the singing and joy. When at AK, I couldn't help but notice how well the buildings in Africa there resembled the pictures you had posted. Disney rocks! That school pic is so humbling.
It is so great to see Abu getting better, I hope his care continues and he can improve more. He is so blessed to have met you. I'm sorry you were sick. I hope you didn't get worse. I started with a virus over 3 weeks ago, lost my voice second day into my trip, and came back with bronchitis. I am on meds, but don't seem to be changing much, except less coughing. I think it is allergies at this point. Uggh.

My pet peeve? I would say people stopping at the end of an escalator or moving sidewalk or exit to a ride. I don't know how many times I almost fell over people who got to the end of the moving floor or stairs and just stopped right there. I did yell at one guy. I mean how dumb are you anyway? I think people walking slow and talking or stopping is probably due to being in a new environment and needing to get your bearings, or doing things as a group and trying to "regroup" I know we were guilty of it a couple of times ourselves, but it is frustrating on the other end for sure.

Loved your flower photos!

I got a raise!

Congrats!!!

I was also pretty excited to come across the 8-foot high termite hill.

Whoa, that had to be a neat sight to see in person.

I didn’t get out of the car until our driver backed into one of her fences and tore off the driver’s side fender;

Yikes. Your adrenaline had to be through the roof during all these driving stints.

As we approached the one-lane bridge crossing over the Rokel River, a stark reminder of the need for caution lay there to greet us.

That looks and sounds absolutely terrifying.

I honestly don’t know if you knew I was headed for the literal "Ebola-Central" on this trip. Ground Zero

I did not know this. Your statistics were heartbreaking.

(Fried chicken, fries and fried plantain

I laughed that you included a "before and after" photo - of sorts.:rotfl2:

I haven't logged on here in years (been a member since there was only one board), but after I read that you lost readers due to the less happy posts, I HAD to tell you to please keep posting. I am reading.

Thank you

I haven't logged on here in years (been a member since there was only one board), but after I read that you lost readers due to the less happy posts, I HAD to tell you to please keep posting. I am reading.

Thank you

Hello, Lisa! And welcome to the thread! Your post means a great deal to me, and I wanted to make sure I let you know that before you logged off! :hug: Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me and encourage me. I have often doubted if I was on the right track with this TR and considered throwing in the towel more than once. Hope to see you often, but if not, at least I know you are here if only reading. :)

Hi Liesa. After keeping up initially with your trip report I fell woefully behind. My life is given over just now to supporting Hannah to prepare for her exams in May.I went back and read your Sierra Leone posts as I was really interested to hear of your trip. A lot of people in the world are really not able to get their basic health care needs met. Thanks for helping to show that reality. I was interested to hear about the seminar for disabled people. I'm sure it let you see things from a different perspective.

I was surprised that there was a lack of structured meal times - do you think this was particular to the organisation you were with?

I will be going back to read the Disney section of your report but just wanted to let you know that I am reading along.

I know thatthis is a late to the party comment, but I just had to add this story from our last day at HS last week. You know how the stroller pushers use them as battering rams to push their way through, pretending not to notice they are clipping your shins? Well I was hit in my bad leg, ever so slightly, but enough to have to trip into DDIL and move her over. As I looked sideways, and back a bit I see it is by a small suitcase being pushed ahead to force through the crowd . I said, "really? a suitcase?" To which our spry young suitcase pusher with miles of dreadlocks replied, "I'm okay." Not a magical moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter