The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

is for: Late Night Stroll

It was a dark and sultry night….

Well, isn’t that how all cheesy novels start??

Oh, keep your shorts on. This isn’t going to be a novel or cheesy. And besides, unless you’re reading this from Florida, Central Mexico, or the Bahamas, you don’t even have shorts on, do you? You’re all wearing fleece-lined pants with a parka.

Dang, I wish Spring would really come. I'm pretty tired of languishing in 40-degree rain, and can't WAIT to leave in exactly 2 weeks for a sunnier climate and hang with some good friends! @Malia78 @franandaj @pkondz

So, it was dark on this particular night that I decided to take a stroll around my resort, and the only objective I had on this night was to stay out of trouble and practice my night time photography settings and see what this old gal could do. I was using a very good friend’s tripod, and while I was skeptical and reluctant at first, I now see the difference using one can make in capturing clear photos in low light settings. And, while it was dark, it was decidedly NOT sultry, or even warm. Er, at least not to this California Girl at heart. (Maybe my several Canadian Friends would have written this chapter altogether differently?) So, the tripod came in extra handy because the blur would have been a real issue with my shivering body.

“No, Folks, it’s okay, not having a seizure; just me at 60 degrees.”

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the hobby of photography: it takes time, patience, planning, and luck. There is no way you can go out and either: A) have a good time, or B) get any good photos with someone tapping their foot and sighing beside you. Best to leave the haters at home. Go by yourself or take someone who “gets it” along.

I think all of the Disney Resorts are pretty at night, but POR especially. Very romantic and soft. A word of caution though. The sidewalks do, in fact, have the ability and penchant to reach up and grab unwary travelers. One did just that to me on a different evening that I went to the pool area for a hot tub. Luckily, 911 wasn't needed and the only damages were a bit of a sore ankle and a very bruised pride. Seriously, I wonder if anyone saw me nearly wipe out and faceplant and thought "that lady spent far too much time (and money) in the River Roost".

And now, because I’m short on time and only came away with 9 photos, without further ado, I’ll share the best of my Late Night Stroll here.

Also, due to lack of spare time, a full work schedule, getting ready for my Cali trip, studying, etc… NO contest or results from Letter K this time. Which means, if you haven’t put your guesses in for Letter K yet, you still have time. See how disorganized/behind generous I am?!

I do, however, have a Mystery Photo for you to enjoy/guess: (PM the answer please!)

You're welcome. ;)

And now to try and tackle responses and to read through my extensive list of Unread Threads...!!! (Don't hold your breath, probably won't happen til the weekend.)

ETA: And while I am playing the Lazy Card with this update, I did go above and beyond by purposely accidentally putting this as a page-top post. ;)

Last edited:

I thought it was "Dark and stormy night"?
But considering I was there roughly the same time you were, I'll skip the "stormy" part, thanks.

Oh, keep your shorts on.

Says the "commando" lady.

:rolleyes1

you don’t even have shorts on, do you? You’re all wearing fleece-lined pants with a parka.

15F right now. Supposed to go down to 5F tonight. Which is actually quite a bit warmer than they originally were forecasting.

can't WAIT to leave in exactly 2 weeks for a sunnier climate and hang with some good friends! @Malia78 @franandaj @pkondz

:wave:

I was using a very good friend’s tripod, and while I was skeptical and reluctant at first, I now see the difference using one can make in capturing clear photos in low light settings.

::yes:: A tripod is a must for night photos. Absolutely.

And, while it was dark, it was decidedly NOT sultry, or even warm. Er, at least not to this California Girl at heart. (Maybe my several Canadian Friends would have written this chapter altogether differently?)

Who... me?

“No, Folks, it’s okay, not having a seizure; just me at 60 degrees.”

:lmao:

There is no way you can go out and either: A) have a good time, or B) get any good photos with someone tapping their foot and sighing beside you. Best to leave the haters at home. Go by yourself or take someone who “gets it” along.

Yeah.... I refuse to have anyone with me other than a rabid photo nut when I shoot. I can take hours shooting and if I'm with someone who doesn't "get it"... it will be 5 minutes... if that... and I'm putting the camera away.

I think all of the Disney Resorts are pretty at night, but POR especially.

I've stayed there wayyyy back. And I took one or two night shots. Yes, beautiful at night.

One did just that to me on a different evening that I went to the pool area for a hot tub. Luckily, 911 wasn't needed and the only damages were a bit of a sore ankle and a very bruised pride.

Oh, geez! :scared:
Glad it was only a bit of a sore ankle.

Seriously, I wonder if anyone saw me nearly wipe out and faceplant and thought "that lady spent far too much time (and money) in the River Roost".

:laughing:

"that lady spent far too much time (and money) in the River Roost.... we should go too!"

And now, because I’m short on time and only came away with 9 photos, without further ado, I’ll share the best of my Late Night Stroll here.

Thanks! They're all really good. :)

And I think that one's my fave. :)

See how disorganized/behind generous I am?!

:laughing: :rolleyes2

I do, however, have a Mystery Photo for you to enjoy/guess: (PM the answer please!)

PM sent!

Wishing you all a beautiful and meaningful Easter weekend!

Happy Easter to you too! :goodvibes

I thought this whole poem was very cute, but I've become woefully behind yet again, and with my parents arriving tomorrow, i don't have time for witty replies. The good news is that we have dug our house out in expectation of their arrival, so hopefully it doesn't revert back to utter chaos in two weeks so that it is relatively neat when you're there!

You DO sound very busy, Alison! Yikes! I hope our visit isn't adding stress to all you have going on!

How is your visit going? I saw the Napa Rose tasting event. Nice!

Well done!

This one. He's cute.

He was pretty cute basking in the sun like that.

Mural, no. Gates, yes.

That seems to be the consensus. While I've probably seen the gates myself, I've never really paid much attention.

The people who stop right in the middle of the walkway for no reason.

Yes! Very big yes!

Yikes, I don't envy you and all that studying. My father and brother are meteorologists and future brother in-law a pilot, and I swear when they start dropping those terms my eyes glaze over. That's just not in my wheelhouse of things I understand.
That being said, I know getting your pilot's license is a big dream of yours, so I'm sure since there's a will, you'll find a way. Of course, it'd probably be easier to do if you didn't have to go into work on your days off so much. Hopefully that'll taper off soon!

To be honest, I seriously had no idea it would be this much work or this involved. I didn't realize there would be so much material that I simply had never studied in any fashion, so a lot of things are starting for ground zero for me. I'll get there, but it'll take me a bit longer than a lot of others. And that's okay.

And yes, getting called in wasn't my idea of "yay" last week.

But, as you'll see in my latest post.... there was a nice surprise on Friday. :)

Ugh. Sorry to hear that, but you got this!

If it takes me 10 years, I'll get there!

Hey! A whizz wheel! Boy I haven't used one of those in.... almost 30 years! Crap! I'm an old fart!

No, just means you've had a nice, long, successful career and been in it long enough to see some good changes. :)

Happen to be pretty familiar with that one, actually.... :)

I know you are. You work... a lot. Although, I think not as much as you used to? I used to see you posting about OT more.

1. Not stale. Lovin' this TR! :)
2. Don't say "running out of fuel at 6,000 ft"! Although... that wouldn't be so bad. Gives you plenty of time to find a suitable landing spot. It's not like you're flying a rock ya know!

Thanks, you are in a dwinding # of diehards. ;)

That is true, but truth be told, I'm askeeered to death of 3 things.... A) flying maneuvers and intentional stalls and spins and B) solo flight, and 3) taking on the radio. I feel myself breaking out into a cold sweat just typing that.

Aww! Sounds like you are super busy as well with your flight training.. and general adult life and stuff too!

Do you have any other trips planned for the near or not so near future?

Hey Kelly!!! Nice to see you!!! I have truly missed you! :hug:

Why yes, actually, I do. I will announce my dates after I get back from California with the group, but I can say it'll be my usual Fall timeframe. :)

Haha! Take your time! I still have to send you the PMs, and I barely got the questions answered!

Good luck studying!

Well, I figure I'd better post when I can because the times I can be on here aren't that many. :) I gave you all a reprieve anyway this time around since it's the holiday and no one seems to be around.

Thanks! Back at it tomorrow afternoon in between cooking a bit of an Easter meal. Cheesecake in the IP is cooking now, so all that's left tomorrow is Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and asparagus. My DFIL is bringing a ham.

It looks like we've both been busy! I've been tied up with work, and personal life - we had a busy weekend past with oldest DD starring her high school's production of "Footloose". I think you may have seen at least the picture on my FB. I'm tagged in a video of her singing "Almost Paradise". I hate to brag, but she did awesome. Check it out if you have time!

Sure looks like it, Jeff! I DID see those photos (and the video) of your DD singing. She has a more than fantastic voice BTW. Yes, you have every right to brag, she is phenomenal.

I have finally caught up on your report, but not sure I'll get time for answering the questions.

You still have time. Not sure when I'll get to the next chapter. May or may not be before I travel.

I was very impressed with your Night Before Christmas take in your post. It was a fun read!

Thanks, it was fun to write too. I had help polishing it, but it was very fun. :)

I like all those decorations. I've never been to WDW during the holidays and I've seen the obvious Main Street picture's. But I don't think I've ever seen Africa pictures during Christmas. It's really well done. The decorations really fit the location, while still being obvious Christmas décor.

I thought they did a very nice job at blending the colors and use of materials into the area. I was pretty impressed at how, like you say, Africa, but still very Christmassy.

I really like the giraffe made out of bottle caps. (there, that's one answer at least!)
Good luck with your exam!

ANd there ya go! :) Thanks! Slow but sure wins the license. ;)

:hourglass 14 months to go and my head may surface so I can breath. LOL Do they make an hourglass big enough to count that down? 5 days into spring break and this is the first I have been able to actually look at anything not school related! I am finally caught up on reading this adventure.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

They do make tickers... maybe you should put a ticker on your siggie? Then all of us can watch the countdown with you! :D

This adventure is ongoing and even feature occasional updates. LOL!! Not going anywhere. We'll be here when you can. :hug:

The idea of what you had to endure in Africa just frightens me beyond belief. I don't know that I could have the courage or the strength to do such a thing. I will say it again... you are amazing.

Not amazing, no. Just have a sense of adventure and wanting to fill a need for those less fortunate. :blush:

That's ok. I haven't been around, either! This is one of the few TR's I can actually keep up wtih.

Well, I'm glad you've stuck around and I can say with certainty, it'll take a while to get it all here. It'd be nice to be done though by my next trip.

:sad2: C'mon, guys. Update the exam already. This would be like testing me on doing a survey using the plumb-bob method.

Exactly. I think they're reasoning is, if everything electronic in your aircraft were to fail catastrophically, you could still calculate and navigate with some means. Makes sense for the infinitesimal chance that'd ever happen.

I believe @pkondz can relate to that particular bit of misery.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

I thought it was "Dark and stormy night"?
But considering I was there roughly the same time you were, I'll skip the "stormy" part, thanks.

OH fine.

Sashay... saunter... Do we really have to be all that picky?

Says the "commando" lady.

Well, I have to be in command of something!

:snooty:

15F right now. Supposed to go down to 5F tonight. Which is actually quite a bit warmer than they originally were forecasting.

Sunny and 60something here. Nice break from the gray and rain.

::yes:: A tripod is a must for night photos. Absolutely.

I can see that now! ::yes::

Who... me?

You, or Jeff, or Meghan, or Donna.....

Yeah.... I refuse to have anyone with me other than a rabid photo nut when I shoot. I can take hours shooting and if I'm with someone who doesn't "get it"... it will be 5 minutes... if that... and I'm putting the camera away.

See?! I'm not the only one. It just makes for an unhappy situation for everyone when you mix and match travel agendas.

I've stayed there wayyyy back. And I took one or two night shots. Yes, beautiful at night.

:goodvibes

Oh, geez! :scared:
Glad it was only a bit of a sore ankle.

Me too! That could be a vacation- ruin-er in a split second.

:laughing:

"that lady spent far too much time (and money) in the River Roost.... we should go too!"

LOL!! And they do! To see Yehaa Bob!

Happy Easter to you too! :goodvibes

Thanks, Ponzi! :hug:

And, now... having caught up on ALL the threads I'm on (if you think I should be on yours too, let me know!! I miss a fair amount these days by not scrolling down the list of TRs much!) AND on my own replies here, AND I still have 10 minutes before dinner is done in the Instant Pot... I have some good news to share with my Tribe here:

I've been at my company for almost 2 years (2 in July) and after a HUGELY steep, yet rewarding, learning curve, and days (and nights) of both frustration and joy....

I was told yesterday that....

party:I got a raise!party:

Over a $1 an hour, which doesn't seem like much but will equal what I pay for gas every month. Not bad! Best news is that it was included on yesterday's paycheck. WOOT!!!

If it takes me 10 years, I'll get there!

Nah, not nearly that long. You got this!

No, just means you've had a nice, long, successful career and been in it long enough to see some good changes. :)

No, just means a change in careers! :laughing:

I know you are. You work... a lot. Although, I think not as much as you used to? I used to see you posting about OT more.

Well last set of days off the wanted me to work all of them. This set none. Ya never know.

That is true, but truth be told, I'm askeeered to death of 3 things.... A) flying maneuvers and intentional stalls and spins and B) solo flight, and 3) taking on the radio. I feel myself breaking out into a cold sweat just typing that.

In a few months, all that will be old hat to you.

OH fine.

Sashay... saunter... Do we really have to be all that picky?

Yes. Yes we do.

Well, I have to be in command of something!

:snooty:

:lmao:

Me too! That could be a vacation- ruin-er in a split second.

Eek!

Congrats on the raise! It doesn't seem like you've been there for 2 years but wow! Time flies!

Good luck on your test! Wish I could have swung coming to CA and seeing you but we'll be in the same place at the same time some of these days!

Jill in CO

I know it's been a few days now...how are things going? Up on her feet again? Hope things are headed in the right direction!
Yes, she is doing fairly well. She was at church yesterday, she was determined to be there for Easter. :-) She returns to the surgeon this week and will hopefully start physical therapy. Thank you for the prayers. :-)

Kim

I've been at my company for almost 2 years (2 in July) and after a HUGELY steep, yet rewarding, learning curve, and days (and nights) of both frustration and joy....

I was told yesterday that....

party:I got a raise!party:

Over a $1 an hour, which doesn't seem like much but will equal what I pay for gas every month. Not bad! Best news is that it was included on yesterday's paycheck. WOOT!!!

:cool1::cheer2::banana:party::jumping1::woohoo:

Congratulations! It's well-deserved!

Wait, what's a "raise", anyway? :confused3

Woohoo!:woohoo:

Oh, keep your shorts on. This isn’t going to be a novel or cheesy.

Aw...dang.

And, while it was dark, it was decidedly NOT sultry, or even warm. Er, at least not to this California Girl at heart. (Maybe my several Canadian Friends would have written this chapter altogether differently?)

Our Canadian friends just sit back and laugh at us and our cold weather issues.

That's ok. We can laugh at them when it's June 30 and they're still shoveling snow.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the hobby of photography: it takes time, patience, planning, and luck. There is no way you can go out and either: A) have a good time, or B) get any good photos with someone tapping their foot and sighing beside you.

::yes:: Truth.

I think all of the Disney Resorts are pretty at night, but POR especially. Very romantic and soft.

POR is very underrated. Beautiful resort. Love your photos!

Which means, if you haven’t put your guesses in for Letter K yet, you still have time. See how disorganized/behind generous I am?!

:woohoo: Thank goodness!

ETA: And while I am playing the Lazy Card with this update, I did go above and beyond by purposely accidentally putting this as a page-top post. ;)

If only you had said something...:rolleyes1

Congratulations on the raise! My son got one about a month ago. This one combined with the one he got the year before were less than that. :( You can't possibly have been there for 2 years! Weren't we all just following your journey through nursing school?:confused:

Just looking at your flyin' sliderule thingy gives me a headache....and a greater appreciation for pilots!

Congratulations on the raise!! That is awesome!
It's so nice to hear you'll be making more money, however small, especially before a vacation!
It's so cool that you'll be meeting up with all the DISBoard peeps!
I will need plenty of pictures of the trip!!

Beautiful pics of POR. I also do photography, although I've sort of left the DSLR at home in favor of the iphone, LOL. It was just so heavy.
I do plan on bringing the DSLR next year on our Alaska cruise as well as a small tripod. I am so excited to photograph those landscapes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter