The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Life is just far too short to not take the time to slow down and enjoy the finer things in life, and often that includes, at least for me, the glorious sounds of talented people doing what they do best.

I'm hoping with some of the changes happening this week, I'll be able to do more of this more often.

I don’t think I’d stand around in the sun for more than 10 minutes, but they are worth slowing down for.

That's good to know. I don't think I would stand in the sun for any group! I sunburn too easily!

It is called the Swotu Waya (with 2 of those funky dots over the last a) Na’vi Drum Ceremony. It combines some drumming… done by people who know what they’re doing.

I remember hearing them while we were waiting in the FP queue for Navi River Journey.

You stop and play them too, don’t you?

I don't think I've stopped and played them in almost 20 years. I believe I do have a picture of me playing them on our first visit to the AK. But then again I have musical instruments all over my house.

The Dapper Dans are legendary. How can you NOT stop and watch their entire set?!

This must be their Christmas outfits because the other day I saw them at DL and each one had a different color suit.

I wonder how the marching band members are chosen? I’m sure the tryouts are brutal.

I don't know about WDW, but there was a huge shake up in the band at DL a few years ago. There were guys who had been playing almost since the original band years and they were let go for a younger crowd of folks and more "Contemporary" arrangements.

I saved my favorite and, IMHO, the best for last- the Piano Guy at Caseys. I could sit and watch this guy all day long and twice on Taco Tuesday. Nothing screams Disney to me more than Ragtime on Main Street. You?

I'll have to try and take more time to enjoy his playing. Last time I remember losing Jim during a rain storm when he stopped for like 15 minutes while I was in front of City Hall waiting.

1. Were you in choir or band in school? If so, what did you play? Totally okay if you weren’t! What did you do for electives instead, if not? Sports? Drama? Snacks and a nap at home?

They wouldn't even let me set foot in the choir room, but I was definitely in the band. I started on flute and on three different occasions I attempted to learn the saxophone. It was my senior year of college when it finally stuck and I've been playing the saxophone in band ever since. For electives I was also on the Speech and Debate team, and while it wasn't affiliated with the school I was on the swim team until I turned 17. I don't think I ever had time for a nap until I dropped into my bed after dinner when I got home from Swim Team.

2. Without Googling and on the honor system, how many places can you find something to eat on Main Street (WDW)? Can you name them? (Because food is as good as music. And food WITH music is best of all!)

Well lets see....
1. Tony's Town Square
2. The Confectionary
3. You can find snacks at the Emporium
4. Main Street Bakery (aka Starbucks)
5. The Ice Cream shop
6. The Plaza
7. Casey's
8. Crystal Palace

I believe you said carts don't count.

3. How many music groups have you stopped to watch for more than 5 minutes in Disney World (name them for a bonus point)? And which one is your favorite? (2 points)

Not sure, do Eat to the Beat concerts count?

I've stopped to listen to the Marching Band (Or as Alberto called them, the Mariachi Band) :lmao:

I've listened to the Voices of Liberty on several occasions

We've enjoyed our Margaritas in Mexico listening to the real Mariachi Band.

I've also stopped for the Taiko drummers in Japan.

The Dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk.

If Eat to the Beat Concerts count, I've listened to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

I know I've listened to more groups, but that's all I can clearly remember. I'm going to say that Jellyrolls, the Dueling Piano Bar is my favorite.

Last edited:
I know I’m behind on replies and threads and everywhere else, but exam on Monday and I want to study tomorrow and get my pig sty house back in order. I was too excited about finding my videos to not get this chapter up. Sorry for the sideways and crappy quality... hope you enjoy it anyway!

Praying your test goes well today!!

Kim

Amazing stories, of course. I hope your students were able to convince people of the importance of hand-washing. If so, you guys could be responsible for saving so many lives!

You were very well rounded, Girly! And it sounds like you were quite a "saxy lady"! ;) My next question should be "What was your favorite snack after school? I can think of 2...

I don't know that we really considered that being well-rounded here. When you have 40 people in your graduating class, You're either one of the ones that "does stuff" or "doesn't do stuff". If you're part of the "does stuff" you do pretty much everything! lol

Last edited:
Congrats on passing! We all knew you would do it!

I really enjoyed your update. The students looked so attentive when you started class, but they did look like most students once the day got long. It's like going back and time and trying to explain about germs to people in the Middle Ages. We know so much more about how they are spread. I really hope this helped save some people in the villages. So many beautiful colors and people. I enjoyed the videos too. Days like this make it so worth any inconveniences you went through.

I had dreamed of hearing REAL African drumming and of seeing jubilant African-style celebrations and to be part of those and thought the little video I had was gone forever. But! I dug deep into the nooks and crannies of my laptop and lo and behold, I found some of my very own!!! To say I’m ecstatic is a gross understatement. It also means that I can now, with a LOT more enthusiasm, share by far the best day of our time in Sierra Leone.

That's awesome! So glad you were able to find these.

I’d been told they could read and write English, but that, as you may have suspected, was not the case.

Oh. Well, this is gonna be an interesting lesson.

IMG_6309-L.jpg

I told you wilted kale was a bad idea.

We were thrilled with the participation and eagerness our students brought to our forum. Despite it being a billion degrees under the hot sun and everyone sweating rivers, they asked good questions, and seemed to listen attentively.

You call it "a billion degrees under the hot sun", but they call it, "Thursday".

One slightly embarrassing moment was about 20 minutes into the teaching when an older gentleman in the front row, raised his hand and very humbly and politely explained that every meeting of any kind should start with asking God’s blessing.

D'oh. Well, better late than never.

There was, (As there should have been!), a mass exodus to join the procession. We had zero idea what was going on, but that’s all part of the adventure, no?

Because hey, what the heck. When in Sierra Leone...

The crowd marching with us was probably about 100 people and the chanting, singing, drumming, and dancing was intoxicating Their exuberance was totally infectious and we couldn’t help but to succumb to the gleeful dancing that brought us to our destination. Once there, we were given seats at a table where there were water bottles set out for us. Each one of us had a person or two to fan us nearby. To be the center of attention of 1,000 people is just… weird. And uncomfortable. But I was soon so enraptured and emotionally swept up in what was going on, that I soon forgot all of that and began to just enjoy what was going on around me.

This sounds like such a special moment.

It soon became clear that there were some not so subtle sexual elements to what was going on.

:scared1:

If you are wondering about the scarring on her face, yes, scarification is still practiced in much of W. Africa. Less so now, so you will see very few children with the lines of scarring on their faces and arms. But the 30’s age set and up all had 3-4 parallel lines about 2 inches long on each upper cheek and upper arm. Once done as a puberty ritual, it is being phased out.

Yikes. That sounds awful. I'm glad it's dying out.

Florida in August has NOTHING on Equatorial Africa. I will never complain of Disney in summer again. Ever.

Quoting this for posterity...:rolleyes1

As usual, as soon as the microphone was shoved in my face, my tongue became a 2 X 4. Few, if any intelligent words made it out of my face.

:rotfl2: Ever see Steve Carell in Bruce Almighty?

In America, we’d have left everything IN it, and merely pointed to the truck and someone would have said, “This is the donation we are leaving here with you. Use it wisely, we hope it brings better health, etc, etc, etc…”

Here you go! Have fun! We're outta here.

They are a collective culture and this gift was for everyone. It had to be given to everyone in a very tangible and concrete way.

I like this way better.

I burst into tears of thankfulness and relief that I was lucky enough to be part of this…. Thing. All the phone calls, emails, hours spent researching in Starbucks, meetings, cold calls to doctors to sign off for us to get the donation in place, the fundraising, all of it, was for this day. Little did I know that the next day we’d meet Abu and have another clear reason for our being sent.

Aw...I can imagine how it must have felt to see all that effort become a reality.

I joke about my camera a lot and it's whereabouts and mishaps, but this time, when I handed my camera off to a perfect stranger I was sure glad I did. I was far too preoccupied with what was going on around me to think about capturing it on "film" so let the professional take over. He was happy to oblige and I'm rather happy with what he captured for me!!

Very lovely photos of the people!

By now, the sun was at its zenith and people were getting ready for their afternoon pool break back at the res… OH! Sorry, wrong TR!

:rotfl:

Er, everyone was getting hungry, and sleepy, but we pressed on and made it through Lesson 4 as my once enthusiastic students gradually started to look like they were your typical high school sophomores slogging through a lecture on To Kill a Mockingbird.

The Scarlet Letter. Holy cow, that was the worst.

You can look up your own statistics, but the CDC and other organizations have estimated that over a million deaths a year can be prevented by using soap and water after using the bathroom, eating, cooking, etc….

A million! I had no idea!

I won’t lie and say that intruding on a lady in active labor to use the toilet closet off of the delivery room wasn’t awkward.

:scared: So, uh...good luck!

Passed my written exam today! Soooo happy!

party::jumping1: Congratulations! That's so cool!

Congratulations on passing your test! But I knew you would.

I read your chapter on your first day teaching. I'm just amazed at what you can endure because I would have been rolled up in a fetal position crying and scared to death of all the bugs.

Your patience is amazing, and it was nice that the folks wanted to stick around and learn, even though it was late and hot. I can't believe that simple things we learn and have ingrained in our minds as children, these folks don't learn. Although it reminds me of a company wide email sent out (back when I had a day job) reminding employees to wash their hands after using the restroom. Generated some interesting water cooler talk. :laughing:

Okay, Friendlies...

I'm caught up on the threads I'm subscribed to and now have some serious business to take care of here. Sorry for the massive delays, but well... I was flying. And just generally being a birthday girl. :cake: I have some time tomorrow I think? Meantime, I think I'll just put a new ticker up. ;)

32116882_1933018590043735_7858438753105215488_n.jpg

Congratulations! Great to hear you passed your written exam. And now you can get in the air; I'm sure those 50 hours of flying time will be much more fun than the written test!

Thanks for sharing the videos, they were lovely to watch. (And I couldn't help but giggle every time your personal fan blower came onto the screen.)

How sweet of your "students" to endure the heat so they could listen to the entirety of your lessons. It seemed like they were genuinely interested and wanted to learn. I really hope at least some of them implemented their hand washing stations!

I got emotional reading about the delivering of the medical supplies, and I wasn't the least bit involved so I can only imagine the wave of emotions that must have overcome you at that time. Probably a memory you'll hold dear for many, many years.

Had to giggle at your story about having past a woman in labor to get to the wash closet. "Excuse me, pardon me, just needed to get to the water bucket, carry on with your contractions." :rotfl2: But really...as a fellow mom I think we can all agree she could've cared less in that moment. :rotfl:

And finally, HOORAY for a new trip!

Okay, Friendlies...

I'm caught up on the threads I'm subscribed to and now have some serious business to take care of here. Sorry for the massive delays, but well... I was flying. And just generally being a birthday girl. :cake: I have some time tomorrow I think? Meantime, I think I'll just put a new ticker up. ;)

View attachment 321415
Wow! Flying and birthday and a new ticker all in one day! That's quite a lot!

So... Yay! for the new ticker.
Yahoo! for the flying, and;
:bday:

Hope it was a good one... and it sure sounds like it was! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter