Thanksgiving Week Strategy

heathermcd

Earning My Ears
We will be going WDW the week of Thanksgiving. I know it will be super busy, but with my son’s school schedule, it’s when we could make it work. My son will be 6 yo when we go in November (and we have been to WDW before so this isn’t the first time, but it will be the first time going to Epcot). I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what our schedule should be for the week? I was planning on the following:

M: Fly to Oralando, get settled in at hotel, maybe go to Disney Springs for dinner
Tu: Hollywood Studios until midday, then return to hotel for rest before heading to MK for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas
W: Epcot all day
Th: Magic Kingdom day
F: Late flight home

I’ve since found out that Epcot’s Festival of the Holidays starts on Friday so I’m wondering if we should revise our schedule so that we do Epcot on our last day before flying home? We would probably only have like 5 hours in the park before we have to head back to the hotel to get our stuff and then head to the airport. Is that enough time? My main priorities would be seeing some of the special holiday attractions/decorations and riding Guardians of the Galaxy and Remy’s. In this scenario we would skip HS on Tuesday and do it on Wednesday instead. Any thoughts? Great idea or horrible plan? Appreciate any input!!

Reactions: MFG
I would fly home on Saturday and have all day Friday for the storytellers and Candlelight Processional. Maybe some time on Saturday in that park as well.

I would fly home on Saturday and have all day Friday for the storytellers and Candlelight Processional. Maybe some time on Saturday in that park as well.
I looked into that, but airfare is too expensive to fly home on Saturday. $400 more per person 😵‍💫

I think you should keep your Epcot day.
Cosmic Rewind virtual boarding time is unknown . But you must experience this… and then use your Friday to focus on the Festival .
I think any type of Holiday Storytelling around the world has a late morning start. But you would be able to experience the holiday lighting at Living with the land , for example.
Also the food booths might have a later start in the mornings also.

Are you staying on property ?

I think you should keep your Epcot day.
Cosmic Rewind virtual boarding time is unknown . But you must experience this… and then use your Friday to focus on the Festival .
I think any type of Holiday Storytelling around the world has a late morning start. But you would be able to experience the holiday lighting at Living with the land , for example.
Also the food booths might have a later start in the mornings also.

Are you staying on property ?
Yes, we’re staying at the Great Wilderness Lodge. Our vacation package currently consists of the hotel for four nights plus three park passes plus the MVMCP tickets. You’re recommending adding a fourth park pass so we have two days at Epcot, both Wednesday and Friday?

…except the price surge for a one day ticket during holiday week…!!!
and only a few hours …
I suggested a full day as planned and then return for departure day thinking it was already purchased ticketing.
I think it would be money wasted for reasons mentioned .
Front of the park opens earlier than the World activities.
Unless you feel the need to ride Remy again .

Yes, we’re staying at the Great Wilderness Lodge. Our vacation package currently consists of the hotel for four nights plus three park passes plus the MVMCP tickets. You’re recommending adding a fourth park pass so we have two days at Epcot, both Wednesday and Friday?
I would keep the park tickets you have and move the plans a bit. I would try to do Epcot on Friday before leaving and do Hollywood Studios on Wednesday instead. I would leave MVMCP day just for MVMCP and enjoy some downtime that day.

Do they still allow earlier entry process for the Party to stagger guest entry crowds at turnstiles? That would be a good idea to take it easy before the party begins .
Really excited to know they are bringing back the holiday lighting on Autopia this year. They had it one year and then did not last year but I see it is back. So fun !

Last edited:
I think taking it easy on Tuesday, the day we’re doing MVMCP, is probably a good recommendation. While my son does do really well with the long days when we’re at WDW, he’s still only 6 and I think trying to pack a day at Epcot in before heading to MK for MVMCP is a lot. I’m thinking this will be our new plan:

M: fly into Orlando
Tu: MK at 4pm for MVMCP
W: HS
Th: MK
F: Half day at Epcot before late flight home

I know we won’t be able to do everything at Epcot in a half day, but I think we’ll rope drop that day and do as much as we can. I’m not expecting to be able to do every ride this trip as I know it will be crowded. We’re going more for the Christmas decorations than anything else and I’d love to see at least some of the holiday decor at Epcot for the Festival of the Holidays rather than none at all if we went Wednesday. Plus, while adding another park day would be great, the expense of it seems like a lot given how much the hotel plus the 3-day park passes plus MVMCP tickets have already cost.

Also, I’m going to keep checking for a better deal on flights between now and our trip and see if I can’t find a better priced flight on Saturday that would allow us to extend the trip by one more night. It would be great to see the Candlelight Processional on Friday night at Epcot, but for $400 more per person for Saturday flights plus the cost of an additional hotel room night, I can’t justify it right now. Fingers crossed gas prices come down some and maybe flight prices will too! 🤞🏻

We are doing the same! Staying at Wilderness Lodge and here are our park days:
Sun: MVMCP 4 PM
Mon: Disney Springs
Tues: HS
Wed: Epcot, AK
Thurs: MK

Where are you thinking for Thanksgiving dinner? My kids want Liberty Tree (meh), but I’m thinking about Cal Grill. We always stay at Contemporary or Swan, so this will be our first time at Wildweness and our first visit ever for Christmas decorations. We’re so excited!

Just and FYI, extended evening hours are at Epcot 11/21 (Monday) and Wednesday at MK 11/23. We are going that week as well and plan to make the most of the extended evening hours on Monday (epcot) and Wednesday (MK), but our kids are older 13 and 14. We may park hop into these parks from HS or just use resort time in the morning. We are doing DAK on Thanksgiving. We have done MK on Thanksgiving and it was not ideal. The week is busy no matter what day. You are going to have the best time!!! We may do Tusker House for brunch on Thanksgiving day or Trattoria Al Forno for dinner. We did California Grill last November and they charged our teens the 90.00 fixed adult price for them to just eat mac and cheese, not cool! Topolinos is also specatular!

Just and FYI, extended evening hours are at Epcot 11/21 (Monday) and Wednesday at MK 11/23. We are going that week as well and plan to make the most of the extended evening hours on Monday (epcot) and Wednesday (MK), but our kids are older 13 and 14. We may park hop into these parks from HS or just use resort time in the morning. We are doing DAK on Thanksgiving. We have done MK on Thanksgiving and it was not ideal. The week is busy no matter what day. You are going to have the best time!!! We may do Tusker House for brunch on Thanksgiving day or Trattoria Al Forno for dinner. We did California Grill last November and they charged our teens the 90.00 fixed adult price for them to just eat mac and cheese, not cool! Topolinos is also specatular!
Good to know! My boys are 10 and 13, but the 10 year old is somewhat picky. $90 for mac and cheese would be a bummer! I am anticipating that MK will be a zoo on Thanksgiving. We've been on Easter/Spring Break before and it was crazy. Thanks for the heads up about extended evening hours. We may just park hop to MK Wed evening. We've done Disney just about every other season, but never for Christmas time. We can't wait to see the decorations.

How busy do you all think Hollywood Studios will be on Thanksgiving day in comparison to MK? I could switch out our MK day to Wednesday 11/23 and do HS on Thanksgiving 11/24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter