Thanksgiving- Anyone use a separate turkey roasting oven?

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
I have a small oven, and with all of the cooking to be done, it is difficult to maneuver everything around the bird. I have seen turkey roasting ovens advertised in the $30-50 range and am thinking of getting one. Anybody have any experience with these? Do they cook a turkey as well as a regular oven?

For the last 4 years I have used a roaster for my turkey. It cooks in about half the time but comes out very moist.

If you do go that route be sure to cook on a lower temperature so the meat doesn’t pull back off the legs.

I love doing the turkey in my toaster. Wouldn’t do it any other way now.

Yes, we've used one for 20 years now - the first one was a wedding present (my best man worked for Hamilton Beach at the time) and we finally just got a new one a year or two ago. Just make sure that you don't get a bird that's too big for the roaster. If the lid can't close all the way, it will take forever for the bird to cook (based on prior experience :o )

I decided to try it this year just because I could use the extra room in my oven and I don't want to bend down to take a 20 lb bird out. I have a burn scar from that from a couple thanksgiving ago.

Eta: I'll let you know how it turns out after thanksgiving. Lol.

I have a small oven, and with all of the cooking to be done, it is difficult to maneuver everything around the bird. I have seen turkey roasting ovens advertised in the $30-50 range and am thinking of getting one. Anybody have any experience with these? Do they cook a turkey as well as a regular oven?

I use this:
https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/...ers+Fryers&utm_term=014215156&utm_source=bing

Totally frees up the oven and stove for everything else!

My mama always did but she had a huge one that was pretty expensive and heated the same as her oven. She always put it outside so the house wouldn't get so hot, we live in Georgia. We have used one in the past but not for the turkey, ours doesn't heat up enough but we use it for the ham since we always cook two meats. The sides we cook the day before and just have to warm those up so while the turkey is out cooling we stick those in.

How long does it take to cook a bird in there? I only cook a bird about 12 pounds or less. Thank you

8-10 minutes a pound About 90 minutes, more or less to put it within 10 degrees of doneness.

I usually do a quick brine (less than 3 hours), then rinse. Season under the skin/in cavity with sage, thyme, salt and pepper, butter, some lemon zest and a bit of chopped garlic, rub with a bit of canola oil. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on the skin and pop it in. I use the drippings for gravy.

Since it runs on propane (the big tanks, like for your grill), you do it outside. Don't have to have the oven on all day, just long enough to cook some stuffing, rolls and sweet potatoes!

DH uses the BBQ to cook the turkey. Always comes out tender and juicy. YUM! That's what he'll do for Christmas. Our BBQ is much bigger than our wall oven.

I use a table top roaster for my turkey and have for awhile now. It's been awesome. My turkeys have never been better. I cook them at 325 for however long the internet tells me to. Perfect every single time.

I have one. It works fine, but my husband usually does the meats outside on his Big Green Egg, leaving the kitchen to me for the side dishes.

I don't. Although I found oven space by breaking out my crockpots for the sides. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, & green bean casserole have all turned out great in the crocks. I don't recommend marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole in the crock though because the marshmallows will disintegrate into a liquid mess.

I have done turkeys in a roaster oven many times in the past. They've always turned out delicious. Don't need to this year, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I did a lot of research when I first bought mine and the best tip I found was to do a "burn off" on the roaster before hand to get rid of the electrical smell and not have the turkey absorb it. It's well worth the small amount of extra effort. Good luck!

Don't have a turkey roaster but we lived in a house for 30 years that had two ovens (and a microwave.) We miss that second oven frequently!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!