Thanksgiving 2008 @ The Fort- A Photo Report

Long time lurker one of my first posts. We where at the Fort Saturday the 28th through Tuesday the second. In the 1900 loop.

Anyways Disney security was cruising around I am surprised they didn't enforce the one vehicle per site rule on them! Or the ban on fires??

Hey, thanks for posting!

You should come out of lurkdom more often.

I am sure that security must have spoken to these folks a couple of times.

Unfortunately, the worst violators know that WDW security will rarely get confrontational with guests.

TCD

Continuing on with the report . . .

After enjoying Florida's victory over FSU, the TCD gang headed on down to Trails End for the traditional take out chicken dinner.

On the way back to our site with our meal, we caught a glimpse of the other white meat:

ThanksgivingFW2008236.jpg

After a great meal, we headed out on our cart for a tour of the decorations at night. Here is some of what we saw:

ThanksgivingFW2008239.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008240.jpg

Since we only had the cart for one night, we went light on the decorations this time:

ThanksgivingFW2008242.jpg

These next few are of the folks in 1600 who were doing things up BIG! As mentioned, they will be there through New Year's. If you visit the Fort between now and then, you can't miss them.

Here, we see the gentleman camper in this site still working on getting more decorations up (as if he doesn't have enough already!):

ThanksgivingFW2008244.jpg

From either side of this site, the campers have made a walk through path. It leads right to the big guy himself:

ThanksgivingFW2008245.jpg

A few more shots of this site:

ThanksgivingFW2008246.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008247.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008248.jpg

This is the site on the 1100 loop that we looked at earlier. The angels up in the trees moved their wings- another great decorating job:

ThanksgivingFW2008249.jpg

This canopy of lights was set up over their truck:

ThanksgivingFW2008250.jpg

Another shot of the 1100 loop display:

ThanksgivingFW2008252.jpg

These next shots are of the two sites on the very end of the 700 loop:

ThanksgivingFW2008257.jpg

Make sure that you look at the detail of these decorations. They have Minnie Mouse set up in a bubble bath!

In a campground!

Outside!

At night!

ThanksgivingFW2008253.jpg

And adjacent to bathing Minnie, we have these decorations:

ThanksgivingFW2008261.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008262.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008263.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008264.jpg

Great job on these decorations!

Well, as much as we fought it, we started to get tired, and it was time to call it a night.

But first, we hopped on an Orange bus for a nice cup of hot cocoa in front of the fireplace at Wilderness Lodge. I highly recommend this little trip. Easy and fun. The Lodge is very nicely decorated for Christmas.

Next up. . . our last morning.

TCD

I think Disney is getting a little too worried about beiong PC and all that in my opinion. We also had a someone on the 800 loop Thanksgiving week with what I would consider an open flame. The first time they lit their fire pit though the white Disney van did stop and I thought they might have told them to put it out, but they must not have. I didn't mind to much when the smoke wasn't drifting in my direction until they all took off and left the thing going without supervision. I guess they figured since it was out front of their giant Rapture 5th wheel that the rest of us would just keep an eye on it for them. Boy the langauge that was coming from that site (especially from the women) would have made a salior blush. I was so glad they were two sites away from me.

Okay, that's enough from me. Great trip report...I hope theirs more. :) It sure is bringing back alot of fond memories. :)

Well, we are up to the last morning of our visit.

That means this report is winding down.

On Sunday morning, November 30, I rose early, and headed down out for an early cart ride.

I just love to be around Pioneer Hall early in the morning:

ThanksgivingFW2008267.jpg

On this morning, I had a special mission.

I have been wanting to check out the old boardwalk area of the Wilderness Swamp trail.

So, after some brief looping, I took the spy bike out the back of the 300 loop, over the bridge, and past the little cabin, and back to the old Wilderness Swamp Trail boardwalk area.

It is extremely overgrown back here.

Those of you who have questioned the extent of the clearing that has gone on recently at the Fort might want to take a look around here. The air potato vines and other nuisance plants are still in control back here.

After fighting my way through the brush, I look for a glimpse of the boardwalk.

I see nothing.

I think that it has been completely removed.

Or it has rotted to the point of collapse. On my next visit, I am going to bring a machete and boots. Then I will know for sure. (I am serious)

This is still a nice place to visit. Very wild and remote:

ThanksgivingFW2008273.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008274.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008277.jpg

Those vines you see strangling the trees are air potato vines.

On my way back over the bridge, I see a deer walking along the canal:

ThanksgivingFW2008278.jpg

If you are having trouble seeing the deer, look along the wood-line, about 3/4 of the way back in the photo.

I go back to looping on the cart.

I notice a new camper has arrived on the 400 loop.

An LSU fan.

Despite the fact that his team got whipped on Saturday, he has his tiger and flag on display. A true fan:

ThanksgivingFW2008281.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008282.jpg

Here is one more shot of the last site on the inside of the 700 loop. They even decorated their grill!:

ThanksgivingFW2008283.jpg

We have had a lot of cool weather here in Florida this Fall. It came earlier, and has hung around more than normal. One of the effects of this is that the deciduous trees seem to be dropping their leaves earlier than normal. For a brief period, we have had what might even be considered Fall foliage. See here:

ThanksgivingFW2008287.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008285.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008289.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008290.jpg

Kind of pretty, if you ask me.

Well, it looks like this trip report is about done.

A few more photos, and it will be done.

TCD

TCD,
i can't tell you how much i've enjoyed this photo report, along with your verbal narration. I wish it could go on even longer somehow. i still say we need to take up a collection and have you go at LEAST once a month; it really IS just like being there, as close as you can get!

Well, it looks like this post will have the last of the photos from this trip.

On Sunday, November 30th, we packed up, and headed for home.

The Fort was really emptying out on this day.

The week after Thanksgiving looks like it is a slow time at the Fort.

As we headed out, we notice a big storm brewing:

ThanksgivingFW2008292.jpg

And, the 1200 loop was completely emptied out, and workers were already moving in:

ThanksgivingFW2008295.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008296.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008297.jpg

I bet that the next time I see the 1200 loop, the sand pads will be gone, and I will be looking at a lot more concrete.

We stopped for lunch at Port Orleans-Riverside, and the storm came in. The TV's there were showing tornado warnings for just to the East of the Fort. We headed West, and drove through some heavy storms, but eventually made it home safe and sound.

I am not sure when our next visit will be. Probably President's Day weekend, but maybe we will sneak in for MLK weekend.

Until then . . .

TCD

TCD - "I have been wanting to check out the old boardwalk area of the Wilderness Swamp trail."

This past October, I walked the path heading into the woods to the right of the cabin and it is clear that it is not being maintained, not that there is much maintenance involved with a nature trail. I talked to one of the long time CM's and they said that they haven't touched the area after the hurricanes of 04 which brought down many large trees. So the decsion was made not to clean it up, just let it go.
Well, at least the creatures of the forest will be happy. As for looking for the boardwalk, I'm not that adventureous, although I would love to fish from that area, but don't like those things that crawl on the ground that like overgrown areas.:sad2:
Thanks for taking the time to post so many photos with the info. Awesome. :yay:
5 days and counting...:banana: :banana: :banana:

TCD,

I also took the path but I didn't know it used to be the Wilderness Swamp Trial. I went back quite a ways and like you said, very overgrown. Now that know what it is/was I'll defnitely visit again. It is very quiet and peaceful back there.

P1000906.jpg

How do you access this wilderness swamp trail? Are there signs leading the way? Looks like a neat place.

The Wilderness Swamp Trail is down from the marina. You can get there either by going to the marina and to the right (opposite direction of MK, WL, etc.), follow the beach and you will come to a place where Bay Lake meets the canal that backs up to the camp sites. Look to your right along the canal and you'll see a bridge that will take you across the canal. Cross over the canal and follow the path to the left towards the cabin. Bear right for the trail or left along the lake and TCD's adventure walk.
OR you can cut thru the 300 loop which has a small road that comes out to the canal. Follow the road across a small bridge and cross the canal just a little further down to your right. You'll see the cabin. Enjoy and take a camera, lots of critters running around.

TCD,

I also took the path but I didn't know it used to be the Wilderness Swamp Trial. I went back quite a ways and like you said, very overgrown. Now that know what it is/was I'll defnitely visit again. It is very quiet and peaceful back there.

Actually, this area was just the boardwalk area of the Wilderness Swamp trail. The trail head, if you will, is right behind the Settlement Trading Post.

How do you access this wilderness swamp trail? Are there signs leading the way? Looks like a neat place.

The information provided by FlaFortCampster in the post below is correct.

The Wilderness Swamp Trail is down from the marina. You can get there either by going to the marina and to the right (opposite direction of MK, WL, etc.), follow the beach and you will come to a place where Bay Lake meets the canal that backs up to the camp sites. Look to your right along the canal and you'll see a bridge that will take you across the canal. Cross over the canal and follow the path to the left towards the cabin. Bear right for the trail or left along the lake and TCD's adventure walk.
OR you can cut thru the 300 loop which has a small road that comes out to the canal. Follow the road across a small bridge and cross the canal just a little further down to your right. You'll see the cabin. Enjoy and take a camera, lots of critters running around.

For anyone interested, here are some screen captures from Microsoft Live Search which show the boardwalk still in place. The aerial shots on live search are somewhat dated. They do not show the dog park, for example.

Anyway, this is a shot of the boardwalk area:

Swamptrail.jpg

Here is another shot, a little further back, with the cabin and boardwalk marked:

Swamptrail2-1.jpg

So, back in the day, as you walked past the cabin, there would be signs marking the entrance to the boardwalk off to the left. The boardwalk went along the shore line for a little while, and then exited back on to the sand path that you can still see in the aerial photos.

I found some old photos on line that show the boardwalk when it was open and in good repair:

wstrail1.jpg

wstrail2.jpg

wstrail3.jpg

It wasn't all that long ago that the boardwalk was still in operational condition. I remember taking my youngest DD's out on it when they were maybe 4 or 5. So that would have been around 2000 or 2001. After that, it really started to deteriorate. For a while, it was all still there, but signs and barricades were erected saying that the boardwalk was closed.

I recall someone posting photos here on the Disboards of what the boardwalk looked like after it was closed. There were boards missing, and the whole thing was listing to the side in some places. I paid a visit to the boardwalk at that time, but that was pre-digital camera, and pre-disboards for me, so I have no photos. It was in very bad shape, and I think it presented a danger to anyone who happened out on it.

I still believe that the remnants of the boardwalk have been removed. But, because of the overgrowth, I was only able to see one area on my last inspection. There might be parts of it still around.

I will get to the bottom of this on my next visit.

TCD

Now that's some detective work. Very impressive. :thumbsup2
What a shame though, there would be some great fishing on and around the broadwalk.

Now that's some detective work. Very impressive. :thumbsup2
What a shame though, there would be some great fishing on and around the broadwalk.

I was thinking the same thing. All those cypress trees and pilings would be a great place for a largemouth bass. I caught a few nice bass down where the canal empties into Bay Lake.

Great job. I never see this much when I'm actually there. But then if it isn't on the route between my site and Mickey Waffles.....

A few years ago i managed to find the board walk and did walk as much of it as I could.
It was leaning REALLY badly in places, rott'd wood, etc.
I was really wanting to fish it (which is why I located it) but, at the time I walked it, there was no water near the board walk.,it may have been the time of year that water levels were low, I dont know. :confused3 But there were areas you could get off the walk-way it was so dry.
:confused3

Great work and info, TCD ! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Wow! :worship: Discamper, I think TCD will be deputizing you shortly.
How are you getting to the Boardwalk? Do you bear left of the cabin or walk the entire trail? This is a true Adventureland. Why don't you guys clear a nice little path for chickens like me?
Thanks for sharing.
Back to packing.:banana: :banana: :banana:

Scott and Tony-

THANK YOU for the photos of the boardwalk.

Seeing these confirms a suspicion that I had.

The "then" photos that I posted above came off of a site that I found that had a bunch of Ft. Wilderness photos. Here are the thumbnails from that site:

FtThumbnails.jpg

Although these are supposed to all be photos of the Fort, I now think that the boardwalk photos are actually of the Fishing Hole at the Port Orleans resort.

Here is a photo of the Port Orleans (formerly Dixie Landings) fishing hole:

fishinghole.jpg

You see a similar umbrella in the above photo (I don't remember umbrellas on the Wilderness Swamp trail), and also there is a top board on the side rails, which I don't remember on the Wilderness Swamp boardwalk, and which is not shown in Scott or Tony's photos.

So, I think I was mislead, and in turn, I mislead some of you.

Does anyone have a photo of the boardwalk in its hey day?

TCD

I have been looking for Albert for 3 years since mine wore out.
Can you tell me where you got yours?
thanks and Go Gators

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter